Greek Yogurt’s Dirty Secret

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Acid whey byproduct is dangerous to the environment
By Ruth Brown, Newser Staff, Posted May 25, 2013 2:54 PM CDT

(Newser) – Greek yogurt is low in calories, high in protein, and generally delicious. What's not to like? How about this: The production of Greek yogurt creates a nasty byproduct called "acid whey." The liquid waste can't be dumped, because it would prove too toxic to the environment, ruining waterways and killing fish, reports Modern Farmer. But with the Greek yogurt market now worth $2 billion and still growing, it's a problem that's only going to get larger. New York State alone produced 66 million gallons of acid whey in 2011, reports the New York Post.

Read more @ Greek Yogurt?s Dirty Secret - Acid whey byproduct is dangerous to the environment

I read this the other day. Like ...wtf? why didn't they address the problem before marketing the yogurt so much? Practically all that is in grocery stores here is Greek yogurt. Maybe they should hold a contest for the public to come up with a solution to the acid whey.

I tried some of this stuff at one of those little tasting booths in a grocery store. I thought I was going to die right there on the grocery store floor ... nastiest stuff I ever put in my mouth. I chalked it up to Feta cheese ... which my tongue cannot abide. Acid whey, huh?

Yet another reason to CLOSELY monitor these government agencies and figure out how to rein in their power or eliminate some of their powers altogether.

I tried some of this stuff at one of those little tasting booths in a grocery store. I thought I was going to die right there on the grocery store floor ... nastiest stuff I ever put in my mouth. I chalked it up to Feta cheese ... which my tongue cannot abide. Acid whey, huh?

Yet another reason to CLOSELY monitor these government agencies and figure out how to rein in their power or eliminate some of their powers altogether.

I tried about five different brands and the only one I thought was any good at all was Chobani and I usually add in a small bit of sugar or honey because it is tooo tart.

I had some the other night, thinking it would help my intestines. Um. No. I stayed really really really close to the bathroom.

Just curious if Jamie Lee Curtis knows what she is pushing.

A friend of mine who regularly benches 400+ eats Oikos Greek Yogurt. He says all the others have too much sugar.

Acid whey byproduct is dangerous to the environment
By Ruth Brown, Newser Staff, Posted May 25, 2013 2:54 PM CDT

(Newser) – Greek yogurt is low in calories, high in protein, and generally delicious. What's not to like? How about this: The production of Greek yogurt creates a nasty byproduct called "acid whey." The liquid waste can't be dumped, because it would prove too toxic to the environment, ruining waterways and killing fish, reports Modern Farmer. But with the Greek yogurt market now worth $2 billion and still growing, it's a problem that's only going to get larger. New York State alone produced 66 million gallons of acid whey in 2011, reports the New York Post.

Read more @ Greek Yogurt?s Dirty Secret - Acid whey byproduct is dangerous to the environment
:eek:

no way!

Damn. Cows are killing the earth.

Why is this only a product of Greek yogurt?

I'm thinking the Greeks use goat milk ... and unlike cows, goats will eat any damned thing they can get their teeth wrapped around! :eek:

Not for yogurt. I am totally bummed out about this. Greek yogurt and Icelandic yogurts are the only ones I can eat without gagging.

So why would Greek yogurt produce these acid wheys and not regular yogurt?

Damn. Cows are killing the earth.

Why is this only a product of Greek yogurt?

I'm thinking the Greeks use goat milk ... and unlike cows, goats will eat any damned thing they can get their teeth wrapped around! :eek:

Not for yogurt. I am totally bummed out about this. Greek yogurt and Icelandic yogurts are the only ones I can eat without gagging.

So why would Greek yogurt produce these acid wheys and not regular yogurt?

Just eat em Ravi----don't buy into the guilt.

Ironic that New York state produces 66 million gallons of it, yet won't allow the safe and proven methods of hydraulic fracturing into their state.

Hmmm.

Let's see...

OilSlick.com | Fracking Battles Heating Up

The Fracking Controversy | Casey Research
.......Second article well into it for the well effects

EPA Finds Fracking Compound in Wyoming Aquifer: Scientific American

It appears there are some doubts about the practices of some drillers.

Caught some drillers taking water from a stream exiting my property. No permit and not a lot of anglais. They did, however, understand "immigration" and the 30 30 carbine. Followed them to the rig and made it crystal clear the next truck would be towed out.

Last edited:
Ironic that New York state produces 66 million gallons of it, yet won't allow the safe and proven methods of hydraulic fracturing into their state.

Hmmm.

Let's see...

Caught some drillers taking water from a stream exiting my property. No permit and not a lot of anglais. They did, however, understand "immigration" and the 30 30 carbine. Followed them to the rig and made it crystal clear the next truck would be towed out.

LOL good for you. :thup:
I'd have done the same.
You're linked articles seem quite dated. The Pavillion issue has been resolved.
Do some more homework.

I love Stonyfield's Greek Yogurt. It's awesome. I have a high protein low sugar diet so it's perfect.

Hmmm.

Let's see...

LOL good for you. :thup:
I'd have done the same.
You're linked articles seem quite dated. The Pavillion issue has been resolved.
Do some more homework.

Whether the implication is practices are safer now, that is what folks here hope. No idea what happened out west, but Dimrock was the result of shortcutting existing technology (bad pipe or concrete or both).

Locally - so far - problems have tankers speeding through settlements where children play in or near streets, dust and bad behavior. All of that has been resolved without police action from citizens' end, although drillers have called police for having tires shot out, etc. And roads built for residential traffic being literally turned into asphalt mush.

The message area courts have sent is "work it out" as no local has been convicted of anything for the tires or kicking the shit out of a driller here and there. What we see is the tank trucks drive slower now and behavior toward locals is respectful. The roads? Still being torn up. Most of us would rather go back to gravel than pay for the quality of roads those trucks would need.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back