Barbara Bush Endorses Gay Marriage

What is this nonsense of people hating the Bush twins? The only people who have ever had hatred of the Bush twins were the women whose boyfriends and husbands were looking that the pictures of drunken Jenna and thinking "Man, I'd really like to hit that, it would be so easy!"

I don't find it remarkable that Barbara supports gay marriage. Her mother, I have the feeling, secretly supports it as well, which is what I think was the reason for her publicly disagreeing with her husband over his proposed gay marriage amendment. I read an article several years ago about Jenna in her career as a teacher. The writer noted how she taught rather progressive social justice ideas to her elementary students. For example, she had her students read a story about a black being discriminated against, leading to public protests. She told the class that the moral of the story is that some white people pick on black people, and when that happens the students should protest.

Of course, there's also Ronnie Reagan, the ardent anti-Republican. Just because one person holds a political position on a given issue does not mean that their children have to follow suit.

I remember Glenn Beck said years ago that it was his understanding that Ronnie and Nancy had too many GL friends in the acting community to be personally opposed to it.

That's her perogative. Not sure why the opinion of a non-politician who only has a microphone because of the actions of family members should be listened to.

Perhaps if she was well respected and had an opinion based on a persuasive argument, i might care. But she is a political nobody.

I doubt that you are not too impressed by anyone who is "well respected" who disagrees with your opinions.

That's her perogative. Not sure why the opinion of a non-politician who only has a microphone because of the actions of family members should be listened to.

Perhaps if she was well respected and had an opinion based on a persuasive argument, i might care. But she is a political nobody.

Good points and I agree.
But Americans are infatuated with political opinions of those that are not accountable to the voters:
Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity ring a bell?

Progressive ideas always win out in the end.

Gay rights will be no different.

as long as that idea is kept from getting out of Control......and California is a perfect example.....an Entitlement program gone amuck....starting a program to honestly help people....and then years later because of lack of oversight,that program is now being exploited by many who either dont need that help OR are still in the program when they should have left years earlier.....and the sad part is no one will step up from the side who started the program and do something about it....

Gay rights will be no different.

as long as that idea is kept from getting out of Control......and California is a perfect example.....an Entitlement program gone amuck....starting a program to honestly help people....and then years later because of lack of oversight,that program is now being exploited by many who either dont need that help OR are still in the program when they should have left years earlier.....and the sad part is no one will step up from the side who started the program and do something about it....

How is gay mariage an entitlement program?

FoxNews.com - Barbara Bush Endorses Gay Marriage in New York

WASHINGTON -- A campaign for legalization of same-sex marriage in New York has won the backing of Barbara Bush, one of former President George W. Bush's daughters, who appears in a new video offering her support.
"I'm Barbara Bush and I’m a New Yorker for marriage equality. New York is about fairness and equality and everyone should have the right to marry the person that they love. Join us," Bush, 29, says in the video.
Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign, a national gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender group that produced the video, says Bush's advocacy shows "equality knows no party label."

Read more: FoxNews.com - Barbara Bush Endorses Gay Marriage in New York

Thanks for giving me my first laugh of the day. A really good one at that.

Just to educate you on why I thought that was funny.

Conservative ideas are responsible for the two great urban-policy successes of the last quarter-century: the breathtaking drops in crime and in welfare dependency since the early 1990s. You’d never know it from members of the opinion elite, however, who have rarely recognized these successes, much less their provenance. So let’s recapitulate an epic battle about the foundations of social order, a battle that had not just a clear winner but also a clear loser: the liberal policy prescriptions for cities that many opinion makers and politicians still embrace. New York has been at the center of this battle because so many of the bad ideas that wreaked havoc on cities hatched there. Fortunately, so did many of the antidotes. Liberal urban policy was based on several core assumptions. Number One: multigenerational poverty was the result of structural forces—above all, of rapacious capitalism and racism. It could never be the result of bad decision-making or a deficit of personal responsibility. Number Two: though men were still, alas, required for conceiving a child, they were purely optional for raising one. (Corollary: the role of illegitimacy in creating and perpetuating poverty could never be acknowledged.) Number Three: low-wage work was demeaning and pointless. It was better to receive a monthly welfare check than to labor at an entry-level job. Number Four: crime was an understandable and inevitable reaction to economic injustice and discrimination. (Corollary: the police could not lower crime; only government social programs and wealth-redistribution schemes could.) Together, these four conceits composed the most dangerous idea of all: that the bourgeois values of order, self-discipline, and respect for the law were decorative afterthoughts to prosperity, rather than its very precondition.
From the 1960s onward, liberal policymakers put these notions into practice, just as radical disorder was breaking out in American cities. In the name of economic justice, the welfare-rights movement, the brainchild of two New York academics, sought to eliminate all remaining stigma associated with the dole and to sign up as many people for welfare as possible. Within three years, welfare rolls in big cities had doubled. The urban riots of the 1960s heralded a decades-long outbreak of crime. A presidential commission responded to the growing anarchy in 1967 by recommending that prison sentences be shortened or eliminated and that the police focus on coordinating social services to offenders rather than on making arrests. The states complied, and the national incarceration rate dropped through the 1970s, while judges diverted offenders into social programs. Crime kept rising.

Death Statistics Tables

Not everyone lives in a fantasy world where fantasy trumps truth.

You do understand, QWB, that American progressivism has conservative and liberal wings.

You do understand this, do you not? And you do understand that the conservative progressivism of American Prohibition led to massive organized crime, corrupton of law enforcement of courts and officers, and scofflawery of the citizens?

You do understand that?

You moronic homers of the far left and the far right: it is not just one way or another, not just black and white, not just dark and light, and you are not superheroes, only superfools.

Maybe you're a douche bag.:D

I'm a douche bag because I've offered an alternate possibility? Good to know that you have absolutely zero critical thinking or logical analysis ability whatsoever. This way I can ignore you from this point forward, and save time by not reading whatever meaninglessness you may post.

and so what?
you all treated the Bush children with hate the same you did her dad when he President, now all of a sudden she is someone you ADMIRE because she endorses one of your pet causes.

As usual you don't know what you're talking about. I really like the Bush twins, especially Jenna.

LOL, and I'm suppose to care why?
good gawd, my own personal stalker..getting a little creepy now.:lol:

If you think that calling me a stalker is going to get me off your case, you are misinformed. That figures. I will continue to point out your lies and stupid remarks whenever I see them. Nice try though.

I don't know anybody that hated the Bush twins. And they were most certainly not responsible for the actions of their idiot father. Nobody is more liberal than I am, and I really like Laura and the twins. And I'm not alone. Again, talking about what you don't know.

You don't care because her opinion is different from yours. If it were the same, you'd be singing her praises and not caring whether or not she is a "political nobody". I have news for you. There are plenty of politicians that are "political nobodies".

And what makes you think she is not respected??? Your opinion is not the last word.

So the question is, which social issue will conservatives lose on next,

to keep their losing streak going?

That's pretty hysterical seeing the monumental rejection the liberals suffered just three months ago. :lol:

And to the main point, the most liberal of states rejected gay marriage, so I'm guessing "conservatives" aren't losing much of anything.

That anyone cares what a twenty-something year old thinks about anything is disconcerting.

That's pretty hysterical seeing the monumental rejection the liberals suffered just three months ago. :lol:

And to the main point, the most liberal of states rejected gay marriage, so I'm guessing "conservatives" aren't losing much of anything.

Oh, nonsense, unprovoking one. The GOP did well in the house, fell short in the Senate because of Tea Party bozo candidates, and the Dems have the presidency. Illinois now recognizes such marriage and the Dems and GOP rejected DADT.

Many libs and cons are moving toward the center on such issues, and that is a good thing.

Oh, nonsense, unprovoking one. The GOP did well in the house, fell short in the Senate because of Tea Party bozo candidates, and the Dems have the presidency. Illinois now recognizes such marriage and the Dems and GOP rejected DADT.

Many libs and cons are moving toward the center on such issues, and that is a good thing.

Jake, if I am not provocative, as you state in every post to me, why do you continue to respond to every post, not ever addressed to you?

You do understand, QWB, that American progressivism has conservative and liberal wings.

You do understand this, do you not? And you do understand that the conservative progressivism of American Prohibition led to massive organized crime, corrupton of law enforcement of courts and officers, and scofflawery of the citizens?

You do understand that?

You moronic homers of the far left and the far right: it is not just one way or another, not just black and white, not just dark and light, and you are not superheroes, only superfools.

Do you have some kind of point here, or are you just attacking me again because I posted something? All I did was laugh at the idea that progressive ideas always win out. I do have to admit you calling anyone else a moron is an interesting juxtaposition, but it ceased to be funny my first week on the board.

I doubt you are a secret angent, or a movie actor, or an agent of influence. You are inaccurate in emphasis, and I merely corrected that.

[I]agent provocateur: a secret agent who incites suspected persons to commit illegal acts
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Provocateur is a 1998 movie directed by Jim Donovan, written by Roger Kumble, and starring Lillo Brancato Jr. and Jane March. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provocateur_(film)

provocateurs - Several other interesting variations on the concept of an agent are sleeper agents, agents provocateur, and agents of influence. A sleeper agent is one placed in an undercover situation and told to await further instructions before beginning to actively engage in espionage activities. ...
www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3403300381.html[/I]

Jake, there are medications for psychosis.

Don't let me provoke you. It's just a message board. You'll be alright.

Thank you for your kindness. :lol:

My general opinion is that if one does not like gay or lesbian marriage, one should not marry one of his or her own sex. Now if one were a hermorphydite, then that would be a tough call.

Forum List

Back