Barbara Bush Endorses Gay Marriage

That anyone cares what a twenty-something year old thinks about anything is disconcerting.

do you have any kids?.....if you have that attitude when they speak, dont be surprised when they either become Delinquents or just dont seem to give a fuck about what you say....

My just turned 16 year old started her second semester of college-leveled calculus at the Community College (among other lower-leveled courses) today, was hired as a seasonal at three businesses for Christmas, picked one, where they told her last week they are hoping to make her an assistant manager by April, after putting her on regular staff from her seasonal position (not bad for your first month of work), does not have a cell phone, isn't allow to email friends, no Facebook, no MySpace, no nonsense, no back talk.

I'll still be smarter that my child when they are twenty-something and in med school. My child's opinion means nothing in terms of wisdom I utilize in my daily life. Twenty-somethings are fledglings with naivete and idealism. Nothing wrong with that, but seriously, their ideas should not be considered much beyond the fact that they have the ability to vote.

Now, I'm off to take my delinquent to youth group for, gasp, Bible study.
she may not be a delinquent....but what i bolded tells me that you dont give a fuck about what she may want or what she thinks.....definatly what she thinks....so the second part of my statement ill stand by...

That anyone cares what a twenty-something year old thinks about anything is disconcerting.

do you have any kids?.....if you have that attitude when they speak, dont be surprised when they either become Delinquents or just dont seem to give a fuck about what you say....

My just turned 16 year old started her second semester of college-leveled calculus at the Community College (among other lower-leveled courses) today, was hired as a seasonal at three businesses for Christmas, picked one, where they told her last week they are hoping to make her an assistant manager by April, after putting her on regular staff from her seasonal position (not bad for your first month of work), does not have a cell phone, isn't allow to email friends, no Facebook, no MySpace, no nonsense, no back talk.

I'll still be smarter that my child when they are twenty-something and in med school. My child's opinion means nothing in terms of wisdom I utilize in my daily life. Twenty-somethings are fledglings with naivete and idealism. Nothing wrong with that, but seriously, their ideas should not be considered much beyond the fact that they have the ability to vote.

Once she gets a taste of real independence your daughter will be getting nailed by every dude who pays any kind of attention to her.

Good job, Dad!

:thup:

Once she gets a taste of real independence your daughter will be getting nailed by every dude who pays any kind of attention to her.

Good job, Dad!

Even if the other poster brought up family first, this is crossing a line IMO.:eusa_eh:

Good job, Dad!

Even if the other poster brought up family first, this is crossing a line IMO.:eusa_eh:

You are welcome to your opinion.

My guess is this "daughter" is a figment of the troll's imagination.

Good job, Dad!

Free weed and titties sways many a "critical" thinker.

FoxNews.com - Barbara Bush Endorses Gay Marriage in New York

WASHINGTON -- A campaign for legalization of same-sex marriage in New York has won the backing of Barbara Bush, one of former President George W. Bush's daughters, who appears in a new video offering her support.
"I'm Barbara Bush and I’m a New Yorker for marriage equality. New York is about fairness and equality and everyone should have the right to marry the person that they love. Join us," Bush, 29, says in the video.
Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign, a national gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender group that produced the video, says Bush's advocacy shows "equality knows no party label."

Read more: FoxNews.com - Barbara Bush Endorses Gay Marriage in New York

This is a Constitutional issue.

If he and she can get married then so should he and he or her and her.
As long as they are old enough, and have the ability to consent, I have no Constitutional grounds to stand in the way.

Unless you make this a states rights issue. then it can get fuzzy.

SCOTUS disagrees with you, which is why laws against bigamy are constitutional.

So you say it's only a states rights issue?

I can get behind that. I've been a firm believer in states rights for a long time.

You don't like the laws here, move there.

she may not be a delinquent....but what i bolded tells me that you dont give a fuck about what she may want or what she thinks.....definatly what she thinks....so the second part of my statement ill stand by...

I care about her feelings and what she thinks. When asked, she is entitled to share her opinion. I do not base adult decisions on what she thinks or feels, however.

And one is not entitled to everything they want. Isn't that funny how you can teach them through action at an early age?

If you think that makes her unhappy, you would be wrong. People like boundaries and structure. It provides a sense of safety.

If it makes you feel better to think that she hates me because of my rigidity, or doesn't love me as much as the liberal parent down the street, please feel free. You would be wrong.

Last edited:

Good job, Dad!

Time will tell. We can only teach them the best we can while they are in our care. Hopefully she will have the skills to stand strong in her beliefs.

Your enthusiasm reads as though you hope she fails. That is odd.

Good job, Dad!

She's real. And because you don't agree with my position, that makes me a troll?

A silly approach to an argument.

Cell phone is communication. I would not want to hire anyone, including a teenager, that did not have the trust of her parents to be responsible in using one.
Same with e-mails and a computer.
Not judging what a parent believes is appropriate if you do not trust a 16 year old to use a computer and cell phone then how can you trust them to work any place other than behind closed doors at home?

Cell phone is communication. I would not want to hire anyone, including a teenager, that did not have the trust of her parents to be responsible in using one.
Not judging what a parent believes is appropriate if you do not trust a 16 year old to use a computer and cell phone then how can you trust them to work any place other than behind closed doors at home?

She doesn't drive yet. When she does, most likely she will get a cell phone for safety purposes. She isn't entitled to one, however. Texting is an anti-social waste of time. She has other things to focus on.

Her managers are inclined to promote her at a younger age than anyone in the store's history, so I think you might be off on that. They think she is fantastic. Today she also started tutoring (for pay) in the math lab at the community college. Over the last semester, she took the opportunity to go in on her own for help with her calculus, and that whole group working there thinks she is great.

So I am not understanding everyone's concern for her well being and state of mind, and certainly not the perception of the outside world.

I did not say she doesn't have a computer or an email. I said she doesn't waste her time on one, emailing and chatting up strangers.

She doesn't drive yet. When she does, most likely she will get a cell phone for safety purposes. She isn't entitled to one, however. Texting is an anti-social waste of time. She has other things to focus on.

Her managers are inclined to promote her at a younger age than anyone in the store's history, so I think you might be off on that. They think she is fantastic. Today she also started tutoring (for pay) in the math lab at the community college. Over the last semester, she took the opportunity to go in on her own for help with her calculus, and that whole group working there thinks she is great.

So I am not understanding everyone's concern for her well being and state of mind, and certainly not the perception of the outside world.

I did not say she doesn't have a computer or an email. I said she doesn't waste her time on one, emailing and chatting up strangers.

I am not judging you but my daughter is 17, texts her friends-never strangers as I doubt your daughter would do that either, e-mails her friends a lot and has a cell phone.
My daughter is an honor student and is headed to UGA on scholarship next fall as she has already been accepted. My youngest son graduated there last May at age 20.
There is nothing negative about cell phones, e-mailing and texting in her life. Nothing at all and nothing in any of the kids I have seen over the last 25 years raising kids.
Urban myth.

I am not judging you but my daughter is 17, texts her friends-never strangers as I doubt your daughter would do that either, e-mails her friends a lot and has a cell phone.
My daughter is an honor student and is headed to UGA on scholarship next fall as she has already been accepted. My youngest son graduated there last May at age 20.
There is nothing negative about cell phones, e-mailing and texting in her life. Nothing at all and nothing in any of the kids I have seen over the last 25 years raising kids.
Urban myth.
Recent scientific studies indicate that children are less empathetic, and less socially developed. I'm assuming that the immersion into technology is responsible for that fact.

To each his own. My daughter has better things to do with her time than text. Doesn't make me an unreasonable parent. Just different than you.

Congratulations on the success of your children, by the way. That is outstanding that they are headed toward being productive citizens.

Good job, Dad!

yep.....seen this a few times with these overprotective parents....

I care about her feelings and what she thinks. When asked, she is entitled to share her opinion. I do not base adult decisions on what she thinks or feels, however.

And one is not entitled to everything they want. Isn't that funny how you can teach them through action at an early age?

If you think that makes her unhappy, you would be wrong. People like boundaries and structure. It provides a sense of safety.

If it makes you feel better to think that she hates me because of my rigidity, or doesn't love me as much as the liberal parent down the street, please feel free. You would be wrong.
Liberalism has Jack to do with it....if you dont let a 16 year old breath a little bit.....your going to suffocate her.....and then when she is on her own and finds out that those "Boundaries" that Daddy erected for her safety are now not there.....well lets just say that one possibility is what Artie was suggesting.....when you said this........I do not base adult decisions on what she thinks or feels, however.
.....thats telling me that your final decision will be what you want not what she wants.....and a 16 year old is kinda old for YOU to be telling her what she wants or thinks.....she is no longer an 8 year old....im beginning to think that is she going to Med School because she wants too...or is this what you want?...

thats not what you posted earlier.....you said YOU dont allow her to E-Mail FRIENDS....here your saying SHE doesnt E-Mail STRANGERS......you have just turned the whole tone of this conversation....from a strict Domineering Dad to a not so Domineering one....now most of what was said before may be moot....

Provocateur, I am sure your darling is a darling. Both of mine were, and I am sure that my oldest, if she were living, would still be as delightful as she was as a young mother and wife, and as delightful as my youngest is as a daughter, mother, and wife. However, . . .

If your daughter is not emailing and chatting at home, I assure that you she probably is at her friends or other places under an assumed name known to her friends. If she is like every other girl of that age that I have known in the many decades I have been around, she will not forego the communication that her inner girl desires and requires in her daily life. I am not saying this meanly or provocatively at all. Simply, I think you overestimate your ability to direct your daughters' thinking and behavior at her age now and in the future.

This is a Constitutional issue.

If he and she can get married then so should he and he or her and her.
As long as they are old enough, and have the ability to consent, I have no Constitutional grounds to stand in the way.

Unless you make this a states rights issue. then it can get fuzzy.

SCOTUS disagrees with you, which is why laws against bigamy are constitutional.

So you say it's only a states rights issue?

I can get behind that. I've been a firm believer in states rights for a long time.

You don't like the laws here, move there.

No, I am saying that SCOTUS has already said that marriage is a constitutional issue, and states, and the federal government, have the power, and a compelling interest, in defining it any way they want. They also pointed out that the law has long defined marriage as being between one man and one woman, dating all the way back to the days of King James. That is why DOMA, among other laws, is constitutional.

I wonder how teenagers got a job before cell phones existed.

By the way, how would you know if they have a cell phone or not? Do you only hire teens that walk into the interview talking on the phone or testing? If so, my guess is you get very few repeat customers.

Forum List

Back