Athiest Playbook

Aware? Think about it. You don't have a clue how we got here. You didn't back then and you don't now. The same questions you didn't have the answers for back then, you still don't have.

But then there are the questions like, "what is thunder?". They used to think that was god. So over time the god concept or hypothesis has actually gotten smaller.

And then consider around 10,000 years ago men made up that God visited them. They had to because people weren't buying into the god concept. Maybe there is and maybe there isn't one. It was hard to get people to join their religions so they had to lie and say god visited. And we've been believing that ever since.

It's not like humans are that much smarter than we were 10,000 years ago. Maybe some of us are but not the masses. The masses don't know how to make a car, turn oil into gas, rub two sticks together, put a space ship on the moon. We like to think we are smarter than our ancestors but only about 5% of us are actually intelligent. The rest of us are sheep. Same sheep that bought into organized religions thousands of years ago.

People used to think the sun was a god to be worshipped. This makes more sense to me than a god made in our image. They prayed for it to return every night it went away. The night was scary. So they prayed to the SUN. Today we pray to the SON.

Who, exactly, had a God of Thunder? Certainly not everyone. Some of the polytheistic believers did/do. Since then, there have been further revelation of God. Just as humanity's understanding of science has grown, so has the understanding of God. Sure, some people's understanding of science is almost nil--but then again, some people's understanding of God and theology is at an equally low level.

Oh really? How has an understanding of a god that cannot be seen or examined in any way developed? I think what you mean is that the things that used to be attributed to god (s) have been proven to actually be caused by completely natural events and therefore no longer the works of god (s)?
Because someone had to be the first one to come up with the concept of God. If no one told you about God what age do you think you would have come up with the God hypothesis?

There was a time when primitive man came up with the God concept, we just don't know when because it happened before recorded history

No one person came up with the idea of a god. Every culture in the world has some notion of a supreme being, and they always have.
And you know that how?

Simple fact. Someone had to come up with the idea first. If no one ever told you about God it would take you years before you invented a God.

At one time humans didn't even talk. When they started it was "ug, sex, eat, cold, mad, happy". It wasn't till later that humans imagined a creator.

You aren't born religious silly
and... you... know... that... how?

Simple fact: no one person came up with the idea of a supreme being, every culture has had it. It's not a debatable point. If one person came up with the concept of "God", point him out to me. Show me where you got your information from.

Link? I'm sure some cultures did have god (s). That doesn't mean they were ever real though. People have a need to explain that which they cannot understand, and back then, explanations for earthquakes, volcanoes, droughts, and just about everything were attributed to god (s).

Interesting point, how do you know which god (s) are real?

"Link", you say? That's funny, as if I could link to all of human history, psychology, philosophy, and anthropology.

How do I know which gods are real? The fact that people think there are more than one is actually proof that no one person came up with the idea of a supreme being.

How do you know that?
Because someone had to be the first one to come up with the concept of God. If no one told you about God what age do you think you would have come up with the God hypothesis?

There was a time when primitive man came up with the God concept, we just don't know when because it happened before recorded history

No one person came up with the idea of a god. Every culture in the world has some notion of a supreme being, and they always have.
And you know that how?

Simple fact. Someone had to come up with the idea first. If no one ever told you about God it would take you years before you invented a God.

At one time humans didn't even talk. When they started it was "ug, sex, eat, cold, mad, happy". It wasn't till later that humans imagined a creator.

Simple fact: no one person came up with the idea of a supreme being, every culture has had it. It's not a debatable point. If one person came up with the concept of "God", point him out to me. Show me where you got your information from.

An interesting read.

Religion in the Ancient World

Aware? Think about it. You don't have a clue how we got here. You didn't back then and you don't now. The same questions you didn't have the answers for back then, you still don't have.

But then there are the questions like, "what is thunder?". They used to think that was god. So over time the god concept or hypothesis has actually gotten smaller.

And then consider around 10,000 years ago men made up that God visited them. They had to because people weren't buying into the god concept. Maybe there is and maybe there isn't one. It was hard to get people to join their religions so they had to lie and say god visited. And we've been believing that ever since.

It's not like humans are that much smarter than we were 10,000 years ago. Maybe some of us are but not the masses. The masses don't know how to make a car, turn oil into gas, rub two sticks together, put a space ship on the moon. We like to think we are smarter than our ancestors but only about 5% of us are actually intelligent. The rest of us are sheep. Same sheep that bought into organized religions thousands of years ago.

People used to think the sun was a god to be worshipped. This makes more sense to me than a god made in our image. They prayed for it to return every night it went away. The night was scary. So they prayed to the SUN. Today we pray to the SON.

Who, exactly, had a God of Thunder? Certainly not everyone. Some of the polytheistic believers did/do. Since then, there have been further revelation of God. Just as humanity's understanding of science has grown, so has the understanding of God. Sure, some people's understanding of science is almost nil--but then again, some people's understanding of God and theology is at an equally low level.

Oh really? How has an understanding of a god that cannot be seen or examined in any way developed? I think what you mean is that the things that used to be attributed to god (s) have been proven to actually be caused by completely natural events and therefore no longer the works of god (s)?
And you know that how?

Link? I'm sure some cultures did have god (s). That doesn't mean they were ever real though. People have a need to explain that which they cannot understand, and back then, explanations for earthquakes, volcanoes, droughts, and just about everything were attributed to god (s).

"Link", you say? That's funny, as if I could link to all of human history, psychology, philosophy, and anthropology.

How do I know which gods are real? The fact that people think there are more than one is actually proof that no one person came up with the idea of a supreme being.

Point being, you do not know if ALL cultures had or believed in god (s) since a lot of them didn't read or write and kept no records.

And you know that how?

The Egyptian Origins of Monotheistic Religious Belief

And you know that how?

An interesting read.

It covered a lot of ground. Interesting. It gave me a headache reading the piece finding that human beings have been so superstitious for over 8 thousand years. No wonder atheism had such a hard time as nearly all people were affected by so much they did not understand that anyone that did not need these so called explanations was likely considered a fool.

And you know that how?

An interesting read.

It covered a lot of ground. Interesting. It gave me a headache reading the piece finding that human beings have been so superstitious for over 8 thousand years. No wonder atheism had such a hard time as nearly all people were affected by so much they did not understand that anyone that did not need these so called explanations was likely considered a fool.

Well the catch is, to NOT believe is a sin. Lol. :D You would be tortured and murdered for speaking out. People still are in some places even today.

And you know that how?

An interesting read.

Well the catch is, to NOT believe is a sin. Lol. :D You would be tortured and murdered for speaking out. People still are in some places even today.

Yes, one could get beheaded in this day and age just by denying the truth of a religion. It was not all that long ago that one could be burned at the stake or hanged here in this country for the same "offense".

I wonder if insane people believe in religion or religion makes people insane.

An interesting read.

Yes, one could get beheaded in this day and age just by denying the truth of a religion. It was not all that long ago that one could be burned at the stake or hanged here in this country for the same "offense".

I wonder if insane people believe in religion or religion makes people insane.

Maybe a little bit of both? Lol. J/K. Certainly some of them are going to be insane, but not all of them. I actually do know some people who are slightly religious and are nice people. It seems that the more religious a person is, the more crazy they are though.

Let's just put it this way. Not one part of me believes believing God exists matters. You choose to worship whatever got you here your way and let other people believe or not believe as they want.

Unfortunately that includes Muslims and atheists

I married an atheist, so "letting" others has nothing to do with my previous question to you. What if what you know is not God?
You tell me

How do you know that?

And you know that how?

Yea sure. Imagine the tribe elders who don't know science getting together to discuss.

I don't have to imagine what they thought because my dad makes the same bad arguments. "How did we get here? It's all too perfect. Something must have created all this."

And I'm OK with this thinking. Nothing wrong with it.

But now did this creator visit? Is there a hell? Anything beyond thinking there must be a God is bullshit.

How do you know that?

And you know that how?

Do you believe God talked to Mohammad? So look how that concept of a creator has evolved.

Either you believe the Muslim religion is legit or you understand how the simple thought that " there must be a God" can get out of control and turn into a lie that millions believe.

People didn't always believe in Islam or Christianity. Long before the Abraham religions humans believed in sun gods, Greek gods, etc. What does this tell you? It tells me it's all wild speculation.

Now fast forward to today. What do you believe? Virgin births, walking on water? Miracles? We are still a very primitive species.

No, that is not what I "really" mean.

You tell me

If someone tells a miner that what he found was not gold, but fools gold, should the miner who only found fools gold stop looking for gold--or insist that he knows what he found is the actual gold? When told what he found was worthless, what if that miners starts spreading the news that gold is worthless--he should know as he has a piece of worthless gold to present. Would people who discovered true gold believe him? Should people stop searching for true gold?

Scripture teaches that God is found in the tiny whisper, not the big storm. Yet Noah's big storm is one of the first things atheists point to, thinking it proves their point there is no God. The Book of Kings clearly states that God is not to be found in the big storms and big catastrophes--but the tiny whisper amidst all the chaos. Scripture teaches that hate and evil cannot exist in the presence of God, and this is another place atheists try to use to prove their point. They look for God where He cannot be found and declare there is no God. We are told, "Seek the Lord while he may be found." We must also seek the Lord where he may be found. God is love; goodness.

Imagine how much smarter we are today than we were 2000 years ago.

You surely have not proved it in your latest speech.

Here is your problem. You reject ALL eye witnesses if they do not coincide with your own beliefs. How convenient.
What eye witnesses? The 5000 that saw Jesus turn 5 fish and 3 loaves of bread into a feast? That must have been real weak soup.

ALL OF THEM sealybobo.

All 200 miracles in this century --- you doubt every single one of them because you think --- or want to believe ---everybody lies.

Sorry. You can't count Trump getting the nomination as a miracle. That was just plain stupidity. You will also have to throw out Palin getting the VP nomination, for the same reason. I will let you keep Pat Robinson's answered prayer for god to change the path of a hurricane in order to spare his broadcast tower, but it seems kind of "iffy", considering that several people died in it's new path....

Thanks, but I do not need your help in assigning what I or the Church consider miracles.
Straw men has always been the best "evidence" atheism can come up with. They never get too close to the real fire.

Here is your problem. You reject ALL eye witnesses if they do not coincide with your own beliefs. How convenient.
What eye witnesses? The 5000 that saw Jesus turn 5 fish and 3 loaves of bread into a feast? That must have been real weak soup.

ALL OF THEM sealybobo.

All 200 miracles in this century --- you doubt every single one of them because you think --- or want to believe ---everybody lies.
Yea, like the miracles Pope John Paul did? He didn't perform any miracles. But ask Catholics they'll tell you he did

For the record, outside of a martyr you only can be canonized when two miracles are performed after you have died. That is through invoking the intercession of John Paul II was there some miraculous healing. It has nothing at all to do with any miracles that a person may have manifested during their life times.

But you are quibbling anyway. How many miracles do you need before you can acknowledge the supernatural is real is my question.

I asked John Paul II to intercede so that the Cubs would win the pennant, but he was apparently busy somewhere else at the time. Either that, or there are some things that even he can not accomplish.

No, that is not what I "really" mean.

Well, what is it that you mean then?

Is this kind of like when divorce was not allowed and now it is? God has "evolved" with the times? :D

You tell me

If someone tells a miner that what he found was not gold, but fools gold, should the miner who only found fools gold stop looking for gold--or insist that he knows what he found is the actual gold? When told what he found was worthless, what if that miners starts spreading the news that gold is worthless--he should know as he has a piece of worthless gold to present. Would people who discovered true gold believe him? Should people stop searching for true gold?

Scripture teaches that God is found in the tiny whisper, not the big storm. Yet Noah's big storm is one of the first things atheists point to, thinking it proves their point there is no God. The Book of Kings clearly states that God is not to be found in the big storms and big catastrophes--but the tiny whisper amidst all the chaos. Scripture teaches that hate and evil cannot exist in the presence of God, and this is another place atheists try to use to prove their point. They look for God where He cannot be found and declare there is no God. We are told, "Seek the Lord while he may be found." We must also seek the Lord where he may be found. God is love; goodness.
And if someone chooses not to give God much thought and just be happy, so fucking what, right?

ALL OF THEM sealybobo.

Sorry. You can't count Trump getting the nomination as a miracle. That was just plain stupidity. You will also have to throw out Palin getting the VP nomination, for the same reason. I will let you keep Pat Robinson's answered prayer for god to change the path of a hurricane in order to spare his broadcast tower, but it seems kind of "iffy", considering that several people died in it's new path....

Thanks, but I do not need your help in assigning what I or the Church consider miracles.
Straw men has always been the best "evidence" atheism can come up with. They never get too close to the real fire.
I don't need to walk in this church to know it's a scam, do I?

ALL OF THEM sealybobo.

I don't need to walk in this church to know it's a scam, do I?

Why are they wearing matching jumpsuits? Lol.

Forum List

Back