Atheism is a Fringe Kook Theory Cult

If you're a "christian", then take your beliefs and enjoy them. Stop trying to persuade everyone you're way is the only way.

Its not.
no one is keeping you from digging your own path.....we just think its kinda silly when there's a free and easy one already made.....and there's no guarantee you're digging in the right direction......
You're like an annoying used car salesman, only you're selling fear and superstition. When did this thread become a vehicle for fundies to proselytize?

Thinking that something unproven to exist doesn't exist isn't kooky, but thinking that you'll burn in hell if you don't follow a book is, though.

Ladies. This thread is in Zone 2. That means posts must contain some content relevant to the topic under discussion. Food fights belong in the Flame Zone.

For those that need a topic refresher please refer to post #1 (readers digest version: those nutty athiests).

Further violations will be dealt with accordingly.

With all due respect, but doesn't the subject of this thread itself invite a food fight? I mean, come on. With a title like "Atheism is a Fringe Kook Theory Cult", is there anyone here who doesn't think this invites a "food fight"?

It wasn't your challenge, it was mine. I asked for any objective evidence as to the existence or non-existence of God. I made the assumption your comment had something to do with the conversation. I guess I was wrong.[/QUOTE]

My earlier response was to your claim : "Look at this rock, how else could it have gotten here if not for God? I will give you the same response.... I have no idea." I responded with : "What rock, where? I'm a geologist, so ask me a specific question about a specific rock, and I will give you a specific answer." Your response was " I have a piece of geode on my desk my daughter gave to me. How is that evidence to existence or non-existence of God?" My response was "Your question is irrelevant to my challenge. My point is that just because you are clueless about rocks doesn't mean that others are also. For instance, your geode is a mineral-laden void structure usually chemically deposited/grown in sedimentary or volcanic rock. Any questions?"

I wasn't responding to your "challenge". I was responding to your apparent lack of understanding that the natural world can be explained without invoking imagery deities. The origins of most rock types are well understood, and those that aren't don't require one to resort to "god did it". Get it?[/QUOTE]

Rather dishonest of you there. Why did you cut what I said? Let me help, what I said was "You have just given me the same argument I have gotten from Theists. Look at this rock, how else could it have gotten here if not for God? I will give you the same response.... I have no idea." It has something of a different meaning when you don't edit out the first sentence.

How do you know it doesn't require God to do it? What evidence do you have that the natural world is not an artifact?

If you're a "christian", then take your beliefs and enjoy them. Stop trying to persuade everyone you're way is the only way.

Its not.
no one is keeping you from digging your own path.....we just think its kinda silly when there's a free and easy one already made.....and there's no guarantee you're digging in the right direction......
You're like an annoying used car salesman, only you're selling fear and superstition. When did this thread become a vehicle for fundies to proselytize?
the only thing I have proselytized is that you should learn something about science.....

Its not.
the only thing I have proselytized is that you should learn something about science.....
I've given you references to supportable, verifiable scientific principles that only fundie zealots can ignore, but not challenge.

The contention that your particular sectarian version of god(s) is real and extant is an excuse to allow yourself the freedom of making unsupported assertions, not an argument. We have no reason to believe your claims of god(s) to be true, certainly no evidence for the claim. Most religions have no problem “conceiving” of their respective gods, up until they reach the point where they have directly contradicted themselves. Only then do they throw up their hands in an intellectual drop ten and punt and exclaim, “Well, god is really beyond our comprehension anyway.”

A more reasonable person would review the conception of gods and resolve the contradictions by acknowledging that at least part of that conception must be false.

Not throwing up your hands and surrendering to unsupportable claims. Your claim that the supernatural is “reasonable” does not make it so. Sadly for you, the supernatural is a claim that cannot be defended with reason.

- 7% of voters think the moon landing was faked

- 13% of voters think Barack Obama is the anti-Christ, including 22% of Romney voters

Those are disturbing. Woulda thought they amounts shoudl be reversed. :)

As to atheists, try it the other way, if people who claim to believe in God really do, why get so upset when confronted by those that don't? Shouldn't you be walking around all blissed out about the heaven you get for believing? Only someone really unsure or filled with doubt should get upset when somoene says what whackjobs ya are. :)

I don't care if atheists don't believe. I do care that they assault the faith of impressionable people and kids who don't have the resources to think it through.

It angers me that atheists rob people of their faith using false arguments and repeatedly disproven falsehoods, like the claim that there is evidence that Jesus did not live.

As to the individual atheist that chooses to not believe because he is too lazy and/or dishonest to look at the facts; to hell with him.

You know something--all ideas, be it religion or philosophy, be it false or true

"assault the faith of impressionable people and kids who don't have the resources to think it through"

Hey, some believers do it to. Do they anger you and you wish to shut them down?

- 7% of voters think the moon landing was faked

- 13% of voters think Barack Obama is the anti-Christ, including 22% of Romney voters

Those are disturbing. Woulda thought they amounts shoudl be reversed. :)

As to atheists, try it the other way, if people who claim to believe in God really do, why get so upset when confronted by those that don't? Shouldn't you be walking around all blissed out about the heaven you get for believing? Only someone really unsure or filled with doubt should get upset when somoene says what whackjobs ya are. :)

I don't care if atheists don't believe. I do care that they assault the faith of impressionable people and kids who don't have the resources to think it through.

It angers me that atheists rob people of their faith using false arguments and repeatedly disproven falsehoods, like the claim that there is evidence that Jesus did not live.

As to the individual atheist that chooses to not believe because he is too lazy and/or dishonest to look at the facts; to hell with him.

You know something--all ideas, be it religion or philosophy, be it false or true

"assault the faith of impressionable people and kids who don't have the resources to think it through"

Hey, some believers do it to. Do they anger you and you wish to shut them down?

Yes, they do. Back when I was growing up we had various denominational hijinx going on. The Baptists would offer Vacation Bible school that single moms would use to dump their kids off for a break, and then wonder why little Timmy was going on so much about Jesus.

I was of a different denomination, and several times we went to some event staged for kids like a Halloween Haunted House only to find that the real frightening monster at the end was toting a Bible and telling us we would go to hell if we didn't agree with his idea of what salvation meant.

Its dirty pool and a large part of why Catholics and other Protestant groups helped atheists to purge any discussion of religion from our schools, the exact opposite excessive reaction.

Yes, they do. Back when I was growing up we had various denominational hijinx going on. The Baptists would offer Vacation Bible school that single moms would use to dump their kids off for a break, and then wonder why little Timmy was going on so much about Jesus.

I was of a different denomination, and several times we went to some event staged for kids like a Halloween Haunted House only to find that the real frightening monster at the end was toting a Bible and telling us we would go to hell if we didn't agree with his idea of what salvation meant.

Its dirty pool and a large part of why Catholics and other Protestant groups helped atheists to purge any discussion of religion from our schools, the exact opposite excessive reaction.

Good point. Must be what all churches are actually about. 'Come to church and we wont hound you quite as much.' :)

Good point. Must be what all churches are actually about. 'Come to church and we wont hound you quite as much.' :)
Do I have your permission to show this post to those folks with the "god will save you" pamphlets when they knock on my door?

Do I have your permission to show this post to those folks with the "god will save you" pamphlets when they knock on my door?

Well no, since presumedly you wouldn't be attending their church already that they scratch ya off their 'visitation' lists. :) Have to go to their church to get off it. :)

Almost, I guess.

Some churches advocate making conversions, but the fast quick conversions are usually shallow and evaporate quickly.

Yes. Because Dyer County, TN is a bastion of radical Atheism. No other conceivable explanation for this event. Please.

Public schools are run by radical atheists. Suspending a student for saying "bless you" is a pretty absurd act. I guess we should be grateful they didn't take her out and stone her, still the atheists must be exposed as the anti-liberty thugs that they are.

Sure they are. Because the people who run those schools are hired by school boards, who are all radical
Atheists. And they are elected by the citizens of the school district. Who are all radical Atheists. It is amazing how many people are radical Atheists. It can't possibly be the young girl decided to disrupt the class and got exactly what she deserved. (Which, btw, was not a suspension no matter what you would like to believe) Oh no, how could you blame these radical Atheists if that were the case?

Its not.

Why would you care about science? You're fully invested in faith. Science is irrelevant to the truly faithful. Why do you spend so much time demeaning and denying science when it is meaningless in your life?

Poster boy for atheism:

athiest-florida.jpg

Atheist Attacks Roommate With A Knife Because He Thought He Was Jesus

Poster boy for devout Christianity:

Paul_Jennings_Hill.jpg

[

For either the first or the thousandth time, I'm not sure at this point,

The objective evidence for the non-existence of God is the lack of evidence for the existence of God.

You can say it as many times as you like, a lack of evidence is not evidence. Not unless you can specify what evidence there should be if there were a God, and support that objectively. Can you?

By your standards, all that is apparently non-existent must be assumed to exist because no one can produce evidence for non-existence.

By that standard, one must acknowledge with equal likelihood the existence of every god ever imagined in history of man's imagination.

As to your first claim, no. Quite the opposite. You are the one applying that standard by saying that if no one can produce evidence of existence it must be assumed not to exist. My standard is if you can't produce any evidence then any assumption is mere belief. Whether it is positive or negative is irrelevant.

As to your first claim, to some extent yes. I think it is fair to say we have enough information that the sun is not Apollo in his chariot, but beyond that they are all pretty much equal. In the absence of objective evidence, all assumptions are equally valid. Saying one is more valid than another is just belief.

I don't know you at all. So I will say you are a 37 year old man, with red hair, a small mole on your left shoulder, and are currently wearing green shorts and a red tank top with USC printed in gold letters on the front. Someone else may make another guess, but both guesses would be equally valid based upon the information available. Valid meaning, in this case, a blind guess with a near zero chance of being correct. But that guess is made with available information that you are human (an assumption I will take as a given) and speak English either as or as good as a native American. Considerably more evidence than we have regarding God.[/QUOTE]

Faith was invented to give credibility to delusion, or hallucination, or imagination, simply because of the stakes involved.

A person who claims to hear voices in his head and talks to them generally gets labeled as crazy to one degree or another.

A person who claims that God speaks to him and who prays to God is simply deemed a person of faith.

And by extension, it's because of the general difference between the two above (along with the stakes involved) that earns the atheist so much scorn.[/QUOTE]

Another claim of pure belief. A statement of faith, if you will. There is absolutely no evidence faith was "invented". It is far more probable faith is inherent in humans. You certainly don't lack it.

What earns the Atheist scorn is that their expression of belief, and it is belief regardless of the definitions, is not in keeping with the majority. All minorities are scorned. This too is human nature. We always attack the outsider.[/QUOTE]

I should have said the term faith, and the usage of the term was invented.

The faith based belief that there is some path to eternal life is probably an outgrowth of the survival instinct coupled with the awareness of mortality.

Its not.
I've given you references to supportable, verifiable scientific principles that only fundie zealots can ignore, but not challenge.
I had no reason to challenge the principles.....that's why I only challenged your understanding of them....

Yes. Because Dyer County, TN is a bastion of radical Atheism. No other conceivable explanation for this event. Please.

Public schools are run by radical atheists. Suspending a student for saying "bless you" is a pretty absurd act. I guess we should be grateful they didn't take her out and stone her, still the atheists must be exposed as the anti-liberty thugs that they are.

Sure they are. Because the people who run those schools are hired by school boards, who are all radical
Atheists. And they are elected by the citizens of the school district. Who are all radical Atheists. It is amazing how many people are radical Atheists. It can't possibly be the young girl decided to disrupt the class and got exactly what she deserved. (Which, btw, was not a suspension no matter what you would like to believe) Oh no, how could you blame these radical Atheists if that were the case?

Its not.

Why would you care about science?
because I hate seeing folks like you abuse it......

Its not.
I had no reason to challenge the principles.....that's why I only challenged your understanding of them....
You didn't challenge anything. You recoiled in shocked surprise when your false assumptions, bad analogies and religious dogma were met with verifiable scientific principles. Like so many extremists, you tend to lash out when the religious myths/dogma you were given is met with science that refutes fear and superstition.

It's a common theme of religions, asserting their partisan dogma as the arbiter of what is "god-given" take on a mantle of authority. But as mankind progresses beyond cowering before your angry gawds, there are better models of existence that serve human requirements for these things, and they do it in terms of the common good as opposed to an external authority commanding us on pain or threat of punishment to do the things that are morally justified. As time goes on, these reason and rational based environments will grow larger and more potent, and religions, along with your serial mass-murderer gawds will fade.

Forum List

Back