Commitment of a Holy Life - Psalm 101

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
This Psalm of King David's depicts his commitment to a holy life. Of how he desired to commit his ways unto the LORD in all that he did. King David was not a perfect man but his heart was perfect towards God. This Psalm is a great blessing to those who desire to live holy as King David did. The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who walk uprightly. There is much wisdom to be found in Proverbs and in Psalms. This is one of my favorite Psalms. Psalm 101.

I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD,, will I sing.
I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me?
I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.

I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside, it shall not cleave unto me.

A froward heart shall depart from me: I will not know a wicked person.
Whoso privily slandereth his neighbor, him will I cut off: him that hath
an high look, and a proud heart I will not suffer.

Mine eyes shall be upon the faithful of the land, that they may dwell with me:
he that walketh in a perfect way, he shall serve me.

He that worketh deceit shall not dwell in my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight.

I will early destroy all the wicked of the land, that I may cut off all wicked doers
from the city of the LORD.

Psalm 101

King David had very high standards for those who served him and for those who dwelled in his city. King David was a man after God's own heart! Psalms is the longest book in the bible. I believe it also one of the greatest!

Proverbs 16:3 Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.

Context

The Tongue's Answer is from the Lord
…2All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight, But the LORD weighs the motives. 3Commit your works to the LORD And your plans will be established. 4The LORD has made everything for its own purpose, Even the wicked for the day of evil.…

Cross References

1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

Psalm 37:5
Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this:

Psalm 55:22
Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.

As Christians everything we do should have the mark of excellence on it. The way we keep our home, the way we walk within our own home before our families, the way we conduct ourselves in the business world, how we spend our time and what we spend our money on. Everything should be done to the glory of God. Because the Lord is watching us and expects us to be faithful in our representation of Him.

Last edited:
Quote from William Gurnall - on selecting a godly mate -

Select a godly mate. There is no area wherein Christians, even those recorded in Scripture, have betrayed their weakness more often than in choosing ungodly husbands or wives. "The sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair". - Genesis 6:2 You would think the sons of God would have looked for grace in the heart rather than for beauty in the face, but even they are quite capable of being turned aside by a pretty outward appearance without looking at a person's spirit.

- William Gurnall

Do you do your very best for your employer? God wants us to do our very best each day at work and at home. This glorifies the LORD.

Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,

Context

Christian Households
…22Slaves, in all things obey those who are your masters on earth, not with external service, as those who merely please men, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. 23Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, 24knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.…

Cross References

Ecclesiastes 9:10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.

Ephesians 6:7
Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people,

Treasury of Scripture

And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not to men;

Last edited:
If we all simply tried our best to live by the 10 Commandments, this world could be a better place.

No need for warring Faiths, embattled Churches, or door-to-door Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses.

And no need for ancient cryptic scripture, of which I was never a fan.

Treat others as you yourself feel the need to be treated.

Sermon by William Gurnall - SELECT SPIRITUAL SERVANTS -

When you hire an employee, choose for God as well as for yourself. How can he fit in with your plans if he does not fit in with God's? Of course you want his work to be successful. But on what ground can you anchor that hope if the hand that does your labor insists on sinning as he performs it?

"A high look, a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked, is sin". ( Proverbs 21: 4 )

A godly servant, however, is a great blessing. He can work hard and then seek God to work for your good also: "O Lord God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and show kindness unto my master" ( Genesis 24:12 ) Surely this prayer helped Abraham as much as the servant's good judgment did.

If you were to plant an orchard you would find the best quality fruit trees instead of wasting your acres cultivating thistles. There is far more loss in a graceless person in your employ than a fruitless tree in the orchard. While David was at Saul's court, for example, he saw the disadvantage of having ungodly servants.

No doubt his recognition of evil in a disordered house made him determine to have the highest standards when God would make him head of that royal family: "He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight". ( Psalm 101: 7 )

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/gurnall/armour/files/armour.html

Last edited:
If we all simply tried our best to live by the 10 Commandments, this world could be a better place.

No need for warring Faiths, embattled Churches, or door-to-door Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses.

And no need for ancient cryptic scripture, of which I was never a fan.

Treat others as you yourself feel the need to be treated.

What a great message! :smiliehug:
We agree, Mr. H.!
( all we need is the bible! )

Last edited:
It would help to communicate a message in modern day vernacular.

Boiling it down to 10 easy steps wouldn't hurt either.

lol! That is modern vernacular for William Gurnall! He was born in the 1600's and that is about as modern as it is going to get, Mr. H.! I wish I could find sermons that had some depth to them today but truthfully I find them far and few between. I sometimes think I should have been born in an earlier period as I do not relate to most of what is out there today! There is one young Romanian preacher who serves at an orphanage that I find preaches very good sermons but that is about it.

I like Spurgeon, Gurnall, Watchman Nee, Andrew Murray, Ravenhill, A.W. Tozer, Kuhlman, David Brainerd, Dumitru Duduman, John Knox, Rees Howells, and those guys... they are all in heaven.. (most of them for many years now)

Here you are, Mr. H. This sermon is modern english and is speaking to what happened to the church - because many did not seek a Psalm 101 life - and here we are today.. this is by Michael Boldea Jr.

Hand of Help Ministries

How We Got Here by Michael Boldea Jr.

Some are in shock, others are in denial, and others still are in mourning. Of the three, perhaps the mourning is most fitting for what this nation has become, and how quickly it has become it, but other than the jubilant forces of darkness that seem to be winning one battle after the other, most everyone else is asking themselves how we got here. Even those banging the ‘it can’t get any worse’ and ‘we know how the story ends’ drums like crack addicted monkeys seem to have calmed down, realizing that it can, and has, and will get worse, and though we know how the story ends, we have to get to the end with our faith intact, and without falling into the pit of compromise so many seem to be head diving into.

I am a realist by nature. When you grow up poor and are uncertain as to where your next meal will come from most nights, optimism soon takes flight, and all that is left is the reality of hunger. I don’t speak of my early childhood often, because it’s something my family got through, something that made us all the stronger for it, and something that knit a bond of love and certainty as to the others’ willingness to step in and help out if the need arose. But I digress. Today’s post is supposed to be about something else altogether, and it is important enough wherein I will save the childhood stories, and trips down memory lane for another time.

Those who choose not to acknowledge their own complicity in regards to this nation’s descent into darkness will be quick to point to the changing times, the entertainment industry, mass media, or another of a hundred convenient little scapegoats. Did these things have a hand to play in how we got here? Most definitively, but by a large percentage, far ahead of any one thing, blame must be laid at the feet of the church, who fell asleep at the wheel, and refused to wake up thereafter for whatever reason.

The moment the words sin, repentance, hell, and righteousness stopped being trumpeted from the pulpits of America, we began our descent, and we haven’t stopped descending since. The wolves in suits make quick work of the Bible, butchering it mercilessly as though it were some fattened hog ready to be meted out rather than the inerrant, absolute Word of the Most High God.

continue reading on link above......

Last edited:

lol! That is modern vernacular for William Gurnall! He was born in the 1600's and that is about as modern as it is going to get, Mr. H.! I wish I could find sermons that had some depth to them today but truthfully I find them far and few between. I sometimes think I should have been born in an earlier period as I do not relate to most of what is out there today! There is one young Romanian preacher who serves at an orphanage that I find preaches very good sermons but that is about it.

I like Spurgeon, Gurnall, Watchman Nee, Andrew Murray, Ravenhill, A.W. Tozer, Kuhlman, David Brainerd, Dumitru Duduman, John Knox, Rees Howells, and those guys... they are all in heaven.. (most of them for many years now)
Have you ever thought of translating into your own words?

Some are capable of translating such sermon from the heart.

The other day, my next door neighbor stopped by to tell me that he had moved out of his parent's house. The kid has some serious issues, but we've always seemed to connect. He trusts me.

Rather that quote Scripture, I just laid down some basics- stay out of trouble, take care of yourself, do your best in life, and have a sense of self-esteem. I tried to relate to him as I did my own children.

We're not living in the 1600's.

If you'd like to accomplish something productive with your Scripture, translate it from your heart and take it to the streets. Apply it to modern day life. This is what the people of today need. Not ancient cryptic prose.

Troubled adults are like troubled children. Learn to speak to them as such.

Here you are, Mr. H. This sermon is modern english and is speaking to what happened to the church - because many did not seek a Psalm 101 life - and here we are today.. this is by Michael Boldea Jr.

Hand of Help Ministries

Some are in shock, others are in denial, and others still are in mourning. Of the three, perhaps the mourning is most fitting for what this nation has become, and how quickly it has become it, but other than the jubilant forces of darkness that seem to be winning one battle after the other, most everyone else is asking themselves how we got here. Even those banging the ‘it can’t get any worse’ and ‘we know how the story ends’ drums like crack addicted monkeys seem to have calmed down, realizing that it can, and has, and will get worse, and though we know how the story ends, we have to get to the end with our faith intact, and without falling into the pit of compromise so many seem to be head diving into.

I am a realist by nature. When you grow up poor and are uncertain as to where your next meal will come from most nights, optimism soon takes flight, and all that is left is the reality of hunger. I don’t speak of my early childhood often, because it’s something my family got through, something that made us all the stronger for it, and something that knit a bond of love and certainty as to the others’ willingness to step in and help out if the need arose. But I digress. Today’s post is supposed to be about something else altogether, and it is important enough wherein I will save the childhood stories, and trips down memory lane for another time.

Those who choose not to acknowledge their own complicity in regards to this nation’s descent into darkness will be quick to point to the changing times, the entertainment industry, mass media, or another of a hundred convenient little scapegoats. Did these things have a hand to play in how we got here? Most definitively, but by a large percentage, far ahead of any one thing, blame must be laid at the feet of the church, who fell asleep at the wheel, and refused to wake up thereafter for whatever reason.

The moment the words sin, repentance, hell, and righteousness stopped being trumpeted from the pulpits of America, we began our descent, and we haven’t stopped descending since. The wolves in suits make quick work of the Bible, butchering it mercilessly as though it were some fattened hog ready to be meted out rather than the inerrant, absolute Word of the Most High God.

That's pretty much what I'm talking about. You're getting there.

The above is a Homily. Keep boiling it down...

Then take it to the streets.

Have you ever thought of translating into your own words?

Some are capable of translating such sermon from the heart.

The other day, my next door neighbor stopped by to tell me that he had moved out of his parent's house. The kid has some serious issues, but we've always seemed to connect. He trusts me.

Rather that quote Scripture, I just laid down some basics- stay out of trouble, take care of yourself, do your best in life, and have a sense of self-esteem. I tried to relate to him as I did my own children.

We're not living in the 1600's.

If you'd like to accomplish something productive with your Scripture, translate it from your heart and take it to the streets. Apply it to modern day life. This is what the people of today need. Not ancient cryptic prose.

Troubled adults are like troubled children. Learn to speak to them as such.

This is the streets. The internet reaches millions. I have people who have contacted me here who are reading my Pentacostal Fire thread from as far away as Sudan. They are blessed by what I am posting so I know God is reaching many people and I'm grateful for that. As for my staying with the sermons of the spiritual giants. They preached the best sermons. Why not give the people the best, Mr.H? They surely are not getting it on most christian televison these days. Same goes for the old time Gospel music, worship music, that is a blessing for many who rarely hear it these days. So they get it here! As for my staying with the Written Word of God.....

The Word of God speaks for itself, Mr. H. People do not need to hear from me, they need to hear from Jesus. If I can tell someone what the LORD says about them, who He is they have something that will benefit them. Although I have ministered to people on a one on one basis too. I can preach a sermon if you want to hear one. Pick a bible verse and I will preach one for you from my own heart. The Lord has given me many great gems from His Word over the years.

As far as translating Gurnalls' sermons into my own words, I would not do that. He said it the way he wanted it said. As the LORD gave him those messages they need to stay as they are written.

Last edited:

Hand of Help Ministries

That's pretty much what I'm talking about. You're getting there.

The above is a Homily. Keep boiling it down...

Then take it to the streets.

This is the streets. I'm where I am supposed to be until God moves me to the next place, Mr. H. It is His work, not mine. As to Mike Boldea Jr. - he is very young. He just had his first child. He has his grandfathers anointing and I was followed his ministry for years until he went to heaven. Dumitru Duduman lived a Psalms 101 life. I have rarely seen a man living in this time who lived as holy as Dumitru lived. He was truly a very humble man of God. I surely loved him and I miss him.

Jerms, in my life I tend to work from the bottom up.

Bear with me here.

As an example, I read Political Chic's posts backwards.

When my sister calls, she spends 45 minutes giving me mind-numbing back story until she tells me why she's really calling.

I finally had to tell her to give me the bullet-point first, THEN fill in the details.

Cut to the chase, render yourself devoid of soliloquy, and diminish hundreds of pages of ancient text to a condensed message that is applicable to the task at hand. And do it up front.

Once you have that very basic connection, then back it off to a broader concept that is in keeping of reference to your original message. Tie it in, get confirmation, and back up a little further.

You push too much at once, and it's all "up front".

Consider today's audience. Not the audience of 1600.

Ephesians 6:7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people,

Parallel Commentaries
Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary

6:5-9 The duty of servants is summed up in one word, obedience. The servants of old were generally slaves. The apostles were to teach servants and masters their duties, in doing which evils would be lessened, till slavery should be rooted out by the influence of Christianity. Servants are to reverence those over them. They are to be sincere; not pretending obedience when they mean to disobey, but serving faithfully. And they must serve their masters not only when their master's eye is upon them; but must be strict in the discharge of their duty, when he is absent and out of the way. Steady regard to the Lord Jesus Christ will make men faithful and sincere in every station, not grudgingly or by constraint, but from a principle of love to the masters and their concerns. This makes service easy to them, pleasing to their masters, and acceptable to the Lord Christ. God will reward even the meanest drudgery done from a sense of duty, and with a view to glorify him. Here is the duty of masters. Act after the same manner. Be just to servants, as you expect they should be to you.
--------------------------------------------------------

That is the sum of it. Obedience. That is our duty unto God. To obey Him. When you look at King David's Psalm 101 - you can see clearly that it was His delight to obey the LORD! To live a commited life to God and to live Holy! God delighted in King David!

Last edited:
Actually when reading the command in Ephesians 6:7 it reads serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people. But the truth is - you are serving the LORD and not people - perhaps some do not realize it but it is still the truth - look at this scripture!

Matthew 25:40 "The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

Context

The Sheep and the Goats
…39'When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' 40"The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.' 41"Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;…

Cross References

2 Kings 4:10
Let's make a small room on the roof and put in it a bed and a table, a chair and a lamp for him. Then he can stay there whenever he comes to us."

Proverbs 14:31
Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

Proverbs 19:17
Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done.

Last edited:
So when you are kind to the poor you are being kind to the LORD. When you give to the poor you are giving to the LORD. Whenever you visit someone in prison, write a letter, encourage them, you are doing that to the LORD, when you visit someone who is sick, you are visiting the LORD, whatever you do unto others you are doing to the LORD. For the good or for the bad.

Forum List

Back