arresting journalist in Wi

They teach average joes to BE journalists you silly gits.

They were trained and recieved credentials.

Lying wont change the facts

I can get credentials that say I am a doctor, would that make me one? Credentials and degrees are just pieces of paper.

They are credentiialed journalists.

Pretending they are not is pure partisan hackery

I hold the same credentials that these 'journalists' had. I am not a journalist. I freelance for a major media outlet and they provide me with credentials. But I am not a journalist and if I was arrested, it would not be 'arresting a journalist'.

I can get credentials that say I am a doctor, would that make me one? Credentials and degrees are just pieces of paper.

All you prove is that you have no idea what press credentials are.

The UpTake*|* About

I think you better read it a little more closely

I think you better read more closely...

Its a blog for wanna b journalists

The UpTake is a citizen-fueled, online video news gathering organization. Established July 2007.

Hi. We’re The UpTake. We’re an alternative to mainstream media, but mostly we’re a training resource for your average or not-so-average Joe & Jane. We want to teach you to (drumroll & a thunderclap) BE THE MEDIA.

You might know us from our coverage at the Republican National Convention, our live-stream of the Coleman v. Franken recount trial, our play-by-play coverage of the Minnesota legislature, our daily clips of White House events…or maybe you’ve just seen us and our modest army of citizen journalists around town.

Watch our front page daily for news, livestreams of local and national events, and more: The UpTake*|*Citizen Fueled News.

Got a story tip? Want to film a story? Want to learn HOW to film a story? Want to learn how to (ahem, drum roll & thunderclap) BE THE MEDIA? Do these things:

1. Fill out our slick “who are you?” survey.
2. Drop the team a line at [email protected]
3. Then check our event calendar.[/b]

We believe in truth, transparency, kindness and the American Way (whatever that is these days). Come watch us. Better yet: join us!

Want to learn how to film a story? want to learn how the be the media???

DING DING - they teach you that shit when you actually go to school to be a REAL journalist...

The retarded bitch in the story probably actually believed she was a journalist because she was writing for that fucked up pseudo media outlet.

Last edited:
So you admitt they have credentials ?

at least we are getting somewhere

NO, they don't have ANY credentials...

The site even admits its really nothing more than a "training" resource for John Does to LEARN HOW TO BE A JOURNALIST...

In short that media outlet is nothing more than a site for average Joe's and Jane's to post their own "stories."

Do you not get that???

No, they may have been there representing an outlet that has been accredited, in which case the organization holds press credentials... and they can provide those credentials to their representative.... that does not make their representative a 'journalist'. It just doesn't. No matter how much you want it to, the fact is that it doesn't. If it did, I would be a journalist... and yet, I am not.

On their own fucking website, you moronic hack.

Will you please quit beating around the bush and say what you mean. LOL

My bad.

Unfortunately, I have a very low threshold for stupid people. It's both a blessing (for me) and a curse (for stupid people).

I will do my best to avoid posting anything stupid and incurring your wrath.

I lived in northern California for 3 years and then managed 3 different off site engineering offices while working for a company just outside of Los Angeles for 20 years. I had to go back to the home office 4 or 5 times a year, plus I stopped off for briefings on my numerous trips to the far east.

I retired early, and I do miss visiting California, still communicate with several good friends there, but would not care to live there.

The UpTake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On January 18, 2011, The UpTake announced it had become the first online-only news organization to get a seat in the Minnesota Capitol press room.[6]

Funny the people who claim to hate the "lame stream media" would shit all over alternative news sites.

They were accredited journalists no matter how many times you people try to lie about it.

Last edited:
Will you please quit beating around the bush and say what you mean. LOL

My bad.

Unfortunately, I have a very low threshold for stupid people. It's both a blessing (for me) and a curse (for stupid people).

I will do my best to avoid posting anything stupid and incurring your wrath.

I lived in northern California for 3 years and then managed 3 different off site engineering offices while working for a company just outside of Los Angeles for 20 years. I had to go back to the home office 4 or 5 times a year, plus I stopped off for briefings on my numerous trips to the far east.

I retired early, and I do miss visiting California, still communicate with several good friends there, but would not care to live there.

I left CA because it's neck deep in stupid these days. Sad, but true. Californian are, generally speaking, jack shit stupid. My brothers refuse to date girls from CA. :lol: They like females that can converse occasionally. :lol:

The clue - for those of us with any over a basic understanding of journalism - is at the top of their home page: "Citizen Reporting with The Examiner Press News and Information Service."

They won't have press credentials, because they are not press.

Credentials are issued by local jurisdictions, there are no established criteria by which credentials are issued or what constitutes ‘the press.’ The relationship between the government and press addresses only preemption and prior restraint issues – all citizens, whether journalist or not, are allowed to witness governmental proceedings.

To receive credentials, there is no requirement that the journalist graduate college with a journalism degree or work for a ‘legitimate’ news entity, for example.

Indeed, three journalists denied press credentials filed a lawsuit in 2008 when the NYPD refused to issue the documents:
Three bloggers who had sued New York City after the Police Department denied them press credentials because they work for online or nontraditional news outlets were issued credentials on Friday after the police relented, the bloggers’ lawyer, Norman Siegel, said.

The three men — Rafael Martínez Alequin, Ralph E. Smith and David Wallis — filed a federal lawsuit in November asserting that they were denied press credentials in 2007 “with little explanation or opportunity for appeal.” They argued that the system for issuing press credentials was “inconsistent and constitutionally flawed.”

Mr. Siegel walked out of 1 Police Plaza on Friday morning with the three men, who were issued press identification cards, one of the types of press credentials issued by the Police Department. Mr. Siegel sad he was delighted with the outcome, but he vowed to continue the lawsuit, saying further reforms were needed.

“This step recognizes that bloggers are 21st-century journalists,” Mr. Siegel, a noted civil liberties lawyer who has announced plans to run for public advocate next year, said in a phone interview. “It’s an important first step, but only a first step, because we still need to address the constitutional problem of who gets press credentials in New York City. The Police Department should not be in the business of determining who’s a journalist.”

Paul J. Browne, the Police Department’s chief spokesman, declined to comment.

After Police Relent, Bloggers Get Press Credentials - NYTimes.com

If this were a press credential issue – where only credential journalists were allowed to enter – then the first journalist wound not have been allowed to pass. The second journalist was detained seemingly for filming the officer screening others entering the building.

These people had credentials.

Why would anyone make that as a comment when these people ARE journalists?

people with the press have these things called "press passes", they must display them openly. This is done with a cord hanging around the neck.

Neither woman had one on them.

I'm not going to take someones word over the police.

The UpTake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On January 18, 2011, The UpTake announced it had become the first online-only news organization to get a seat in the Minnesota Capitol press room.[6]

Funny the people who claim to hate the "lame stream media" would shit all over alternative news sites.

They were accredited journalists no matter how many times you people try to lie about it.

They may have accredited journalists writing for them, however being accredited is NOT a prerequisite to write for them... Get it???

Do you not understand that absolutely anyone can write for them???

I guess you missed the fact (and it is a fact, not an opinion) that these were not 'journalists', they had no press credentials. So no one muzzled the 'press', unless by 'press' we now mean absolutely anyone with a blog.

I personally do not care if they have credentials or not, pieces of paper do not make you a journalist.

As far as I can see they were not arrested for not being journalists, they were arrested because they were in a group that ran past the guards. Even if they had credentials they could have been swept up in the reaction to something like that anywhere.

Do pieces of paper make brain surgeons brain surgeons??

Its funny how you have to have a degree in journalism to write for the AP or any major paper.

Some papers will make exceptions for opinion editorial writers, however thats not even news - its opinion, hence its meaningless. Its not like an individual could use an op-ed as a valid citation.

You can have a degree in journalism and work as a freelance reporter. I understand that is actually quite common, which means that those reporters do not have credentials. does that make them not reporters? Believe it or not, the constitutional provisions about freedom of the press apply to everyone, not just journalists. That is what gives you the right to take pictures on a city street. Trying to argue that some rights in the constitution apply only to a select group of people is a very slippery slope to limiting all of our rights.

Being a member of the press isn't a shield of invincibility.

If you are there to report, that's what you do. You observe and report.

You don't join in with the demonstration, ya don't fuck with the cops. You let everything occur and report on it.

If these Two idiots were reporters they would have known better.

The partisan hackery here is on your part. If you bother to read the thread you would see that I am arguing that they are journalists.

The Examiner Press News and Information Site

Video and text by Sam Mayfield- cross posted from her Sam Land blog On June 6th two journalists were arrested at the state capital in Madison, WI. I was one of them. I was grabbed by an aggressive and very escalated police officer after walking in to the state capital on June 6th. Officer Corcoran told me to leave, to "get out". It was bewildering because I was already in the building and was simply walking by him filming my way in to the rotunda. He grabbed me aggressively. I told him, in the friendliest voice I could find, that I was with the press. He let me walk by. I recognized him from the many times I have been in the building over the past four months covering the gentle uprising as it develops and unfolds around Governor Scott Walker's controversial budget repair bill. Alex Noguera-Garces was assisting me this day, she was also stopped. I told Corcoran that she was with me and was a member of the press. Initially he let her through. When she stayed behind to film his treatment of citizens as they entered the building he grabbed and arrested her. She was hauled away in handcuffs. It came to my attention that she was being taken away. I went to her aid and when I explained that "I was a member of the press" Corcoran let me know that "I could go too". Referring to jail and being arrested like Alex. Alex was in taken to an elevator. While inside, before the doors closed, she handed me her camera that was dangling in her hand, likely to fall given the situation

This is total bullshit. You're more concerned with this than with obama rendering aid to the enemy in libya? What a total fuck stain you are.

I personally do not care if they have credentials or not, pieces of paper do not make you a journalist.

As far as I can see they were not arrested for not being journalists, they were arrested because they were in a group that ran past the guards. Even if they had credentials they could have been swept up in the reaction to something like that anywhere.

Do pieces of paper make brain surgeons brain surgeons??

Its funny how you have to have a degree in journalism to write for the AP or any major paper.

Some papers will make exceptions for opinion editorial writers, however thats not even news - its opinion, hence its meaningless. Its not like an individual could use an op-ed as a valid citation.

You can have a degree in journalism and work as a freelance reporter. I understand that is actually quite common, which means that those reporters do not have credentials. does that make them not reporters? Believe it or not, the constitutional provisions about freedom of the press apply to everyone, not just journalists. That is what gives you the right to take pictures on a city street. Trying to argue that some rights in the constitution apply only to a select group of people is a very slippery slope to limiting all of our rights.

You can get credentials if you have a degree in journalism. All you have to do is go to the US Press Agency..

The partisan hackery here is on your part. If you bother to read the thread you would see that I am arguing that they are journalists.

Yes you are right , you did and I thank you for it.

There are quite a few here who didnt accept it yet always cavil about the MSM.

Funny that one.

Forum List

Back