arresting journalist in Wi

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
The Examiner Press News and Information Site

Video and text by Sam Mayfield- cross posted from her Sam Land blog On June 6th two journalists were arrested at the state capital in Madison, WI. I was one of them. I was grabbed by an aggressive and very escalated police officer after walking in to the state capital on June 6th. Officer Corcoran told me to leave, to "get out". It was bewildering because I was already in the building and was simply walking by him filming my way in to the rotunda. He grabbed me aggressively. I told him, in the friendliest voice I could find, that I was with the press. He let me walk by. I recognized him from the many times I have been in the building over the past four months covering the gentle uprising as it develops and unfolds around Governor Scott Walker's controversial budget repair bill. Alex Noguera-Garces was assisting me this day, she was also stopped. I told Corcoran that she was with me and was a member of the press. Initially he let her through. When she stayed behind to film his treatment of citizens as they entered the building he grabbed and arrested her. She was hauled away in handcuffs. It came to my attention that she was being taken away. I went to her aid and when I explained that "I was a member of the press" Corcoran let me know that "I could go too". Referring to jail and being arrested like Alex. Alex was in taken to an elevator. While inside, before the doors closed, she handed me her camera that was dangling in her hand, likely to fall given the situation

• Banned
found yourself WRONG again for knee jerk defending bad actions because you are a partisan hack huh?

found yourself WRONG again for knee jerk defending bad actions because you are a partisan hack huh?

You seem very quick to start whining about 'defending'. I didn't 'defend' anything or anyone, I made a statement of fact.... 'citizen reporters' are not journalists. That's not defending anything... if you were even of average intellect, you would know that.

the tape is highly edited and she interfered with the arrest.

I see zero wrong doing by the police.
I saw no press passes on any of the people involved.

why do monktards insist on pissing on the police?

What do you think, they just handout press passes to anyone that asks for them?

The 'gutter press' (such as the HuffPuff etc) long ago destroyed any real standards in 'journalism'. Note that they refer to their contributors as 'citizen reporters'? That's because they hold no qualification in journalism, they accept bullshit from anyone who can vaguely string a sentence together... in some cases, even that is beyond them. They have no code of ethics, no understanding of the integrity of journalism, they are just a bunch of people who want to be journalists but don't want to learn the craft.

Outlets such as the HuffPuff promote this crap by encouraging people to contribute - for which they receive no payment.... You'd think that the liberals would be concerned about the media not paying people for their work but apparently not. As long as it fits their agenda, they don't give a shit about standards.

I agree with California girl. Anyone of us could start a blog and call ourselves a journalist and say, "I'm with the press!" Journalists take their education and degrees seriously. Simply playing the role does not make you a journalist or "with the press."

Clink. Jail cell closes.

the tape is highly edited and she interfered with the arrest.

I see zero wrong doing by the police.
I saw no press passes on any of the people involved.

why do monktards insist on pissing on the police?

The clue - for those of us with any over a basic understanding of journalism - is at the top of their home page: "Citizen Reporting with The Examiner Press News and Information Service."

They won't have press credentials, because they are not press. If you then go to their 'contact us' page, you will find an email inquiry form.... the first subject option is 'I want to be a blogger - reporter'. In other words, they'll take anything from anyone but they do not pay for it. No legitimate news organisation takes free copy from amateurs.

The HuffPuff operates a similar policy. 6,000 unpaid 'citizen reporters' to create bullshit that the likes of truthmatters, rdean and fail&won'tgo drink up like it's from Seymour Hersh.

These people had credentials.

Why would anyone make that as a comment when these people ARE journalists?

Video and text by Sam Mayfield- cross posted from her Sam Land blog On June 6th two journalists were arrested at the state capital in Madison, WI. I was one of them. I was grabbed by an aggressive and very escalated police officer after walking in to the state capital on June 6th. Officer Corcoran told me to leave, to "get out". It was bewildering because I was already in the building and was simply walking by him filming my way in to the rotunda. He grabbed me aggressively. I told him, in the friendliest voice I could find, that I was with the press. He let me walk by. I recognized him from the many times I have been in the building over the past four months covering the gentle uprising as it develops and unfolds around Governor Scott Walker's controversial budget repair bill. Alex Noguera-Garces was assisting me this day, she was also stopped. I told Corcoran that she was with me and was a member of the press. Initially he let her through. When she stayed behind to film his treatment of citizens as they entered the building he grabbed and arrested her. She was hauled away in handcuffs. It came to my attention that she was being taken away. I went to her aid and when I explained that "I was a member of the press" Corcoran let me know that "I could go too". Referring to jail and being arrested like Alex. Alex was in taken to an elevator. While inside, before the doors closed, she handed me her camera that was dangling in her hand, likely to fall given the situation

Gentle uprising?

while I think any attempt to muzzle the press is wrong, I saw people running past the police when they tried to talk to them. What is going on?

'Citizen reporters' are not journalists. They might think they are, they might want to be, but they are not.

I disagree. Journalists are not defined by who signs their paycheck, they are defined by what they do. Even if they only write a blog that no one reads, as long as they report something they are journalists.

Its the peoples house so someone is having them arrested for being there.

Even journalists are being arrested for filming people being treated like dogs for being in their own property.

HAHA!!! "Gentle Uprising", that's laughable, since when has an uprising ever been known to have been gentle? These people are morons, they where squatting in the rotunda for weeks for heavens sakes, they do not have the right to squat on government property, nor do they have the right to uprise on government property.

Gentle uprising?

while I think any attempt to muzzle the press is wrong, I saw people running past the police when they tried to talk to them. What is going on?

I guess you missed the fact (and it is a fact, not an opinion) that these were not 'journalists', they had no press credentials. So no one muzzled the 'press', unless by 'press' we now mean absolutely anyone with a blog.

On what basis do you make that claim?

It's called a press pass, meaning that they are a journalist for local or national news. Free lance does not cut it, or at least does not cut it when it comes to claiming they are a "Journalist" and should have full reign of government property.

the examiner press news and information site

video and text by sam mayfield- cross posted from her sam land blog on june 6th two journalists were arrested at the state capital in madison, wi. I was one of them. I was grabbed by an aggressive and very escalated police officer after walking in to the state capital on june 6th. Officer corcoran told me to leave, to "get out". It was bewildering because i was already in the building and was simply walking by him filming my way in to the rotunda. He grabbed me aggressively. I told him, in the friendliest voice i could find, that i was with the press. He let me walk by. I recognized him from the many times i have been in the building over the past four months covering the gentle uprising as it develops and unfolds around governor scott walker's controversial budget repair bill. Alex noguera-garces was assisting me this day, she was also stopped. I told corcoran that she was with me and was a member of the press. Initially he let her through. When she stayed behind to film his treatment of citizens as they entered the building he grabbed and arrested her. She was hauled away in handcuffs. It came to my attention that she was being taken away. I went to her aid and when i explained that "i was a member of the press" corcoran let me know that "i could go too". Referring to jail and being arrested like alex. Alex was in taken to an elevator. While inside, before the doors closed, she handed me her camera that was dangling in her hand, likely to fall given the situation

gentle uprising?

While i think any attempt to muzzle the press is wrong, i saw people running past the police when they tried to talk to them. What is going on?

i guess you missed the fact (and it is a fact, not an opinion) that these were not 'journalists', they had no press credentials. So no one muzzled the 'press', unless by 'press' we now mean absolutely anyone with a blog.

where is your proof of what you claim?

Forum List

Back