arresting journalist in Wi

'Citizen reporters' are not journalists. They might think they are, they might want to be, but they are not.
Did these girls represent themselves as "journalists" or "the Press?"

Please tell us what defines the Press as it is referenced in Amendment One. Who or what establishes who or what is the "Press?"

'Citizen reporters' are not journalists. They might think they are, they might want to be, but they are not.

What exactly is the qualifying difference between a "Citizen Reporter" and a Journalist?

At what point in one's choice of a career does one become a "Journalist?"

Is one issued a license? Or is one appointed by a qualifying board?

Is there an official test?

Can one be a Journalist who has not acquired a degree in Journalism from an accredited college or university? If so, why? If not, why not?

Being a member of the press isn't a shield of invincibility.

If you are there to report, that's what you do. You observe and report.

You don't join in with the demonstration, ya don't fuck with the cops. You let everything occur and report on it.

If these Two idiots were reporters they would have known better.

That is what journalists do. They do not become part of the story - they are there to cover an event, not participate. 'Citizen reporters' are not journalists.

The Examiner Press News and Information Site

Video and text by Sam Mayfield- cross posted from her Sam Land blog On June 6th two journalists were arrested at the state capital in Madison, WI. I was one of them. I was grabbed by an aggressive and very escalated police officer after walking in to the state capital on June 6th. Officer Corcoran told me to leave, to "get out". It was bewildering because I was already in the building and was simply walking by him filming my way in to the rotunda. He grabbed me aggressively. I told him, in the friendliest voice I could find, that I was with the press. He let me walk by. I recognized him from the many times I have been in the building over the past four months covering the gentle uprising as it develops and unfolds around Governor Scott Walker's controversial budget repair bill. Alex Noguera-Garces was assisting me this day, she was also stopped. I told Corcoran that she was with me and was a member of the press. Initially he let her through. When she stayed behind to film his treatment of citizens as they entered the building he grabbed and arrested her. She was hauled away in handcuffs. It came to my attention that she was being taken away. I went to her aid and when I explained that "I was a member of the press" Corcoran let me know that "I could go too". Referring to jail and being arrested like Alex. Alex was in taken to an elevator. While inside, before the doors closed, she handed me her camera that was dangling in her hand, likely to fall given the situation

clearly, sam has inherited a tremendous journalistic legacy from these guys

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIUeEpTLBvQ]YouTube - ‪My favorite moment in Three Stooges history‬‏[/ame]

Show us the proof please.

I've said a couple of times that I have looked and did not see their press passes.

Other than them verbally claiming they were, there's no proof.
What establishes one as a member of "the Press?"

Who issues press passes?

What qualifies one to obtain a press pass?

Are the police empowered to arbitrarily determine who is a member of "the Press" and who is not? And if your answer is yes do you consider that arrangement to conform with Constitutional Freedom Of The Press?

I've said a couple of times that I have looked and did not see their press passes.

Who issues press passes?

Are the police empowered to arbitrarily determine who is a member of "the Press" and who is not? And if your answer is yes do you consider that arrangement to conform with Constitutional Freedom Of The Press?

Freedom of the Press does not allow a person to make a claim at being a reporter then all of a sudden become invulnerable.

fyi; freedom of the press is not freedom of reporters.

Who issues press passes?

Freedom of the Press does not allow a person to make a claim at being a reporter then all of a sudden become invulnerable.

Than support your position by answering my questions as listed above. All you've done here is express a theory you have.

Who issues press passes?

Than support your position by answering my questions as listed above. All you've done here is express a theory you have.

I don't take orders.

I've asked questions and gotten no answers myself. I've addresses you're only serious inquiry since there's no way for me to know how each town, county, city, region, state and the fed handle the press.

The Examiner Press News and Information Site

Video and text by Sam Mayfield- cross posted from her Sam Land blog On June 6th two journalists were arrested at the state capital in Madison, WI. I was one of them. I was grabbed by an aggressive and very escalated police officer after walking in to the state capital on June 6th. Officer Corcoran told me to leave, to "get out". It was bewildering because I was already in the building and was simply walking by him filming my way in to the rotunda. He grabbed me aggressively. I told him, in the friendliest voice I could find, that I was with the press. He let me walk by. I recognized him from the many times I have been in the building over the past four months covering the gentle uprising as it develops and unfolds around Governor Scott Walker's controversial budget repair bill. Alex Noguera-Garces was assisting me this day, she was also stopped. I told Corcoran that she was with me and was a member of the press. Initially he let her through. When she stayed behind to film his treatment of citizens as they entered the building he grabbed and arrested her. She was hauled away in handcuffs. It came to my attention that she was being taken away. I went to her aid and when I explained that "I was a member of the press" Corcoran let me know that "I could go too". Referring to jail and being arrested like Alex. Alex was in taken to an elevator. While inside, before the doors closed, she handed me her camera that was dangling in her hand, likely to fall given the situation

Truth don't matter to you
Did you object when this happen?
Brenda Lee, Reporter, Dragged Kicking And Screaming From Near Air Force One
LOS ANGELES — A writer for a small Georgia newspaper who wanted to give President Barack Obama a letter was forcibly removed from a press area near Air Force One on Thursday shortly before he arrived at the airport.

Did you object when obama had it done?

Barack Obama's campaign has booted from its airplane three reporters who work for newspapers that have endorsed John McCain.

The campaign says that a limited number of seats forced it to make the tough decision of which journalists would be permitted to follow the Democratic presidential candidate in the last four days of the campaign, but the papers are calling foul, claiming they were targeted for their editorial-page positions and kicked off while nonpolitical publications like Glamour and Jet magazines remained on board.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=6156794&page=1

Who issues press passes?

It depends on the circumstances. Most legitimate media outlets issue credentials to their journalists to enable them to access events and press areas at any major event.

Others - such as crappy little wannabe 'news' websites - will contact the event organizers and request passes. But these organizations do not usually employ professional journalists and the passes are provided to 'citizen reporters'.

One can usually tell the professionals from the 'citizen reporters' by their behavior. Journalists cover a story, 'citizen reporters' clearly can't behave like professionals and get their stupid asses arrested.

They had journalist credentials.

Keep pretending they didnt
So did these people did you object then? I don't think so. So shut the fuck up.
LOS ANGELES — A writer for a small Georgia newspaper who wanted to give President Barack Obama a letter was forcibly removed from a press area near Air Force One on Thursday shortly before he arrived at the airport.

Did you object when obama had it done?

Barack Obama's campaign has booted from its airplane three reporters who work for newspapers that have endorsed John McCain.

The campaign says that a limited number of seats forced it to make the tough decision of which journalists would be permitted to follow the Democratic presidential candidate in the last four days of the campaign, but the papers are calling foul, claiming they were targeted for their editorial-page positions and kicked off while nonpolitical publications like Glamour and Jet magazines remained on board.
Obama Boots Reporters From Conservative Papers - ABC News

What were their credentials? Did they have something on their bodies that identified them as press?

I think not.

Forum List

Back