Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Shot In Arizona

Hope she pulls through

No politician should have to go through this shit regardless of their position. This is america

Blaming Sarah Palin for the shooting is like blaming The Catcher in the Rye for the shooting of John Lennon. Plain stupidity.

um, that IS incompetence
they should only be reporting the confirmed FACTS
not making guesses and speculation

The problem is the need to be the first to "break" the story or updates.

Oh puhleeze.

Just what on earth do you think are the objectives of the media? One is to be the first to report breaking news.

If they didn't report quickly, you'd accuse them of withholding information.
it should be to be sure you have the facts before you run a story

Oh puhleeze.

Just what on earth do you think are the objectives of the media? One is to be the first to report breaking news.

And here I thought the objectives of the media was suppose to be reporting the facts. That's my and their point. Which is why Dive and Taze are right where this is an example of the incompetence of the media.

Same thing happened on 9/11. So nothing should have been reported that day???

Congressman Gifford was also pro-abortion. Lots of suspects there. Either way, something set the guy off, seems like he targeted her.

Or maybe she's just a US Congressmember who was making a public appearance, which makes this an easy and surefire (excuse the expression) way to get on the TV news. Let's all remember that the late President Reagan was shot, not for his politics, but to impress a girl.

Oh puhleeze.

And here I thought the objectives of the media was suppose to be reporting the facts. That's my and their point. Which is why Dive and Taze are right where this is an example of the incompetence of the media.

Shit happens after somebody comes in and shoots a dozen people.

Guys come on ... this woman's friends and family are all finding out about this I'm sure some from the TV have some respect ... the media doesn't have to be up the surgeons butt the instant she is declared dead if that happens.

There's a difference between reporting something and reporting it as a fact. Reporting she is dead when she very well may not be is terrible not only for the media but her family and friends.

Fox's sources were:

A highly placed source on Capitol Hill
A Federal law enforcement official in AZ
A local AZ law enforcement official

You have an unrealistic expectation of how quickly the full facts of such a situation are determined. If three government sources confirm something, it's reasonable to report it.

Oh, I agree. But at the same time, someone in Palin's position, with her level of hero-worship among a section of America, should not be posting a map of politicians to be targeted, with gun sights.

Do you agree with that?

Synth, THIS is not a thread about Palin...nor is it a thread about immigrants...as others have tried to bring in.

We don't even know if she is dead or alive, who did it, or why...
The hospital spokesman has said she is alive. I trust them at this point to know the truth.

This is a political board, and this is most likely a political shooting. I do not know why we should ignore what may be contributing factors when looking for clues to motive. As I said in PM, this guy may never have seen that SarahPac chart, but I think it further highlights her irresponsibility in putting something like that out.

It was a young man in his teens or 20s.

REGARDLESS of whether or not she lives, THIS IS STILL AN ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE TRAGEDY.

I'm praying for her and her family no matter the outcome. SECURITY IS NEEDED FOR PUBLIC FIGURES SUCH AS OFFICE HOLDERS!

A spokeswoman for the hospital has confirmed that Gifford was shot in the head and is in critical condition. There will be a formal briefing at 1:30 local time.

Just saw this on the news. Giffords has been shot along with 3 of her staff members, and now new repor thatt their was 12 who have been shot.
This is totally unaceptable just because you don't agree with someone on politics :evil:
I did not agree with her politics but she is my representive and now SE AZ has no representation.
I hope she will be alright.

She is dead according to the news.

Jan 8, 2011 ... Gabrielle Giffords, a Democratic congresswoman from Arizona, was reportedly shot and killed today at a public event outside a grocery store.

Last edited:
MSNBC and FNC are both now saying she is in surgery and still alive

Typical incompetence by the media.

No it's not. There is always confusion in the immediate aftermath of something like this. It's not like the media is in the operating room.

They shouldn't be reporting her condition one way or the other until they have all the information. It's irresponsible for one news organization to say she died and another to say she didn't. They're more concerned about being the first news team to report it than they are about whether or not it's accurate.

There's a difference between reporting something and reporting it as a fact. Reporting she is dead when she very well may not be is terrible not only for the media but her family and friends.

Thus far I have not heard anything reported as FACT.

The news media said that there were reports she was dead. That's the extent of it - and then they corrected their news stories when the hospital contradicted those reports.

Forum List

Back