Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords Shot In Arizona

For goodness sakes folks, I just had to move another 51 posts.

Don't. Politicize. This. Thread.

Quite simple really.

Yesterday was a sad day in our history.

I pray for a speedy recovery for Congresswoman Giffords and for the peace and comfort for the families of those who had their lives so tragically stolen from them.

Immie

Yesterday was a sad day in our history.

I pray for a speedy recovery for Congresswoman Giffords and for the peace and comfort for the families of those who had their lives so tragically stolen from them.

Immie

We should remember, and pray for, the other 5 people who were also injured - some in serious condition. I understand that the Congresswoman is the most well known, but others have died, and some are still struggling for life. Let's not forget them and their families.

Analysis From Meno, one of Loughner's favorite books;

Plato is trying to convince a world that has always been certain in it's knowledge that not only does the world not understand but is incapable of understanding virtue.

Most virtuous men are so by holding "right opinions" rather than true knowledge.

This is what was in this kids head.

Analysis From Meno, one of Loughner's favorite books;

Plato is trying to convince a world that has always been certain in it's knowledge that not only does the world not understand but is incapable of understanding virtue.

Most virtuous men are so by holding "right opinions" rather than true knowledge.

This is what was in this kids head.

So what are you trying to imply?

If what they've been saying about the guy is accurate, no, he wont be facing the death penalty. The Supreme Court eliminated that option with mentally deficient people years ago.
that depends on AZ laws

Nope. He committed a FEDERAL crime. If he'd broken into her house to rob it and shot her in the process, THAT would be a state crime. Shooting her while she acted in her capacity as a US Congressmember . . .

If what they've been saying about the guy is accurate, no, he wont be facing the death penalty. The Supreme Court eliminated that option with mentally deficient people years ago.
that depends on AZ laws

Nope. He committed a FEDERAL crime. If he'd broken into her house to rob it and shot her in the process, THAT would be a state crime. Shooting her while she acted in her capacity as a US Congressmember . . .
it seems he has broken both state and fed law
so both will get a piece of him

Stop with the Flame Wars. Nobody is interested in it. You want to Parrot back and forth the same Bullshit 50 Times Over, start your own Thread in the Romper Room.

The moron referred to it as CONSCIENCE dreaming on his Youtube channe.

Here's an evaluation on that issue by a psychologist:
Psychologists view Loughner as a man with 'serious mental issues going on'[page two]

" Whether the delusions he harbors have anything to do with this [shooting] is unclear," said Mr. Kucharski. "He may well have an elaborate delusional system in which she played a role."

Mr. Loughner was also intently interested in the phenomenon of "conscious dreaming" or "lucid dreaming," in which the dreamer controls the dream. His longtime friend Bryce Tierney told Mother Jones magazine that Mr. Loughner had become "more interested in this world than our reality."

Mr. Tierney, whose comments provide the most-comprehensive window into Mr. Loughner's mind to date, said his friend told him that, "I'm so into it because I can create things and fly. I'm everything I'm not in this world."

Dreaming was "his waking life, his reality," Mr. Tierney said. "He sort of drifted off, didn't care about hanging out with friends. He'd be sleeping a lot."

Mr. Loughner's mental state appeared to deteriorate as he entered his late teens and early 20s, another sign of a thought disorder such as bipolar or schizophrenia. He dropped out of high school after an uneventful academic career, but then ran into trouble repeatedly at Pima Community College."

I'm so glad to hear that Gabby is doing so well with such a horrific type of wound. They took her off the breathing tube and she was able to breathe on her own. So far no swelling of her brain.
I think God is looking after her.

I'm so glad to hear that Gabby is doing so well with such a horrific type of wound. They took her off the breathing tube and she was able to breathe on her own. So far no swelling of her brain.

This is good news.

Not to sound inhuman or anything, but if you think that then you must think God let the other people who weren't so lucky die. Most of the other people who died were either really old or really young, the type that wouldn't survive a deadly attack as easily.

Yes, that's why they are in heaven now,because they wouldn't survive as easily.
It's not God's fault, it's Satan who does these evil things. He causes sickness and illnes if you read your bible.

Yes, that's why they are in heaven now,because they wouldn't survive as easily.
It's not God's fault, it's Satan who does these evil things. He causes sickness and illnes if you read your bible.

I disagree. It's humans who do evil things. All Satan does - all he needs to do - is encourage the evil that already lives inside of us.

On another note, does anyone think Giffords will need to be replaced? Even if she has a phenomenal recovery - and God willing she does - it's going to be a long time before she's up to fulfilling the requirements of her job, nor should she have to be concerned about that or anything else but her health at a time like this. I'm a little unclear on the procedure, but if memory serves, only one other Representative has been removed for medical reasons before, and it involved a House resolution to that effect. Does anyone have any idea how long they would wait?

It's a horrible thing to have to think about, but on the other hand, I live in that district, and I don't wish to be without Congressional representation just to be polite.

On another note, does anyone think Giffords will need to be replaced? Even if she has a phenomenal recovery - and God willing she does - it's going to be a long time before she's up to fulfilling the requirements of her job, nor should she have to be concerned about that or anything else but her health at a time like this. I'm a little unclear on the procedure, but if memory serves, only one other Representative has been removed for medical reasons before, and it involved a House resolution to that effect. Does anyone have any idea how long they would wait?

It's a horrible thing to have to think about, but on the other hand, I live in that district, and I don't wish to be without Congressional representation just to be polite.

The governor could call for a special election, where the district would vote for a new representative, but that's in cases where the representative has died, or quits. The constitution to my knowledge doesn't really say what happens in a situation like this, and honestly I'm not sure if the governor would be permitted to call a special election or not.

I'd guess the seat would for all intents and purposes be "vacant" until she either is able to make it to the House to vote, she resigns, or until the next election cycle.

I wondered the same thing. Will she be able to finish out her term and function as a Congresswoman? Can someone be appointed by the governor to fill her seat until she recovers (I pray she does soon) and is able to return to her seat or does it remain vacant until she has recovered?

Immie

The governor could call for a special election, where the district would vote for a new representative, but that's in cases where the representative has died, or quits. The constitution to my knowledge doesn't really say what happens in a situation like this, and honestly I'm not sure if the governor would be permitted to call a special election or not.

I'd guess the seat would for all intents and purposes be "vacant" until she either is able to make it to the House to vote, she resigns, or until the next election cycle.

I think if the Representative dies, the governor appoints someone to finish the term. After all, Representatives only serve for two years at a time. As I said, the only other time a Rep was removed for medical incapacity, I believe the House passed a resolution vacating the seat, which triggered a special election.

She was just re-elected, and I do NOT want to spend two years effectively without a Congressmember.

I wondered the same thing. Will she be able to finish out her term and function as a Congresswoman? Can someone be appointed by the governor to fill her seat until she recovers (I pray she does soon) and is able to return to her seat or does it remain vacant until she has recovered?

Immie

I don't think the law allows for a "temp" to fill in for a Congressmember. I think you either do the job, or you get replaced. I am a bit concerned about whether or not the House or whomever makes this decision will decide to simply leave my district hanging fire indefinitely.

I think if the Representative dies, the governor appoints someone to finish the term. After all, Representatives only serve for two years at a time. As I said, the only other time a Rep was removed for medical incapacity, I believe the House passed a resolution vacating the seat, which triggered a special election.

She was just re-elected, and I do NOT want to spend two years effectively without a Congressmember.
nope
thats only for Senators
Reps have to be replaced by election

Forum List

Back