Are humans changning planet Earth?

No it's not. Alternatives fuel usage is increasing and accelerating. The denier refrain that all alternative energy sources are failures just doesn't hold water in the face of that fact.

If it is what you say it is, there would be a pile of money and a pile of upstart private companies all over this, but there's not. It then is just a pile of sh--

What I say IS true. It's pretty silly to try to disprove something from a lack of secondary effects that YOU identify.

Besides, there obviously IS a lot of private money going into alternative energy projects. Just look at the Ivanpah solar project we've been talking about. The government provided nothing more than a loan guarantee. The $2.18 billion in investment capital that built the place all came from private pockets.

What I say IS true. It's pretty silly to try to disprove something from a lack of secondary effects that YOU identify.

Besides, there obviously IS a lot of private money going into alternative energy projects. Just look at the Ivanpah solar project we've been talking about. The government provided nothing more than a loan guarantee. The $2.18 billion in investment capital that built the place all came from private pockets.

You name Ivanpah, I name Solyndra. :eusa_whistle:

There isn't a big push for alternative sources because it really isn't financially viable for the average American. There really isn't a cost savings for solar energy right now, Abe. Once purchased and set up the solar panels are weathered to the point of replacing before the initial investment has been recouped.

As for your Ivanpah Solar project.....

MARKETS More: Solar Renewable Energy
California's Record-Breaking New Solar Plant Is Already Irrelevant
ROB WILE
FEB. 18, 2014, 11:40 AM 29,756 64

inShare
17 EMAIL MORE

solar 1
Ivanpah

Last week, dozens of people, including Google energy chief Rick Needham and Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz, trekked out to the California-Nevada border in the middle of the Death Valley to dedicate what is believed to be the world's largest solar thermal facility in the world.
At 392 megawatts, the Ivanpah solar thermal plant will be able to power 140,000 homes — the equivalent of all of Newark (averaging two people per household).

We covered the project when BrightSource, the main developer behind the project, first put up a stunning 3-D tour of the site.

But for all its scale and beauty, in terms of the future of renewables, Ivanpah is already irrelevant.

Solar thermal creates electricity by using mirrors to direct intense amounts of heat at a centralized collector, which is used to heat a substance like water to create steam power. Solar photovoltaic, meanwhile, directly converts solar energy into electricity through semiconductors.

If solar thermal sounds unnecessarily complicated, you're right. Solar photovoltaic has seen explosive growth in the past few years thanks to plummeting material costs, state incentives, and eco-conscious homebuyers putting up panels on their roofs. But solar thermal growth has stalled, and is expected to continue to do so. Ivanpah cost $2.2 billion. Warren Buffett paid the same amount for the world's largest photovoltaic plant just up the road outside Bakersfield. That plant will generate 1.5-times as much power as Ivanpah.

As the New York Times' Diane Cardwell and Matt Wald wrote Friday, Ivanpah probably represents an end, not a beginning.

Read more: Ivanpah Solar Plant Already Irrelevent - Business Insider

I don't care WHICH alternative we go with, as long as we go with one. If Warren Buffet is willing to put out $2.2 billion for an alternative energy plant, I'd say he must be convinced they've got a financial future ahead of them.

Lefty activists can always be counted on for one thing: posting up bogus statistics that appear to place their position in a better light. It works......but only when presented to the perpetually dim.

Always notice.......whether in this forum or others......the lefty posts up statistics that compare something to itself = you can virtually make anything look attractive. In this case.......its solar power.

Statistics are only relevant when placed into the context of the larger market they are competing in. But the k00ks never do that.

Its like a rich guy in Scratchmyassville USA. sitting in a bar in the middle of nowhere and boasting about being so wealthy. But its only in Scratchmyassville. He moves into a nicer community 30 miles away and he's the poor guy in town.

Relative to any fossil fuels, solar and wind are a joke. Beyond laughable. Decades from now, EVERY SINGLE projection has them continuing as a fringe source of energy. Even the Obama EIA says it. Im too tired to post up the link so google it.

By the way, skookerasbil, your attempt to disrupt this thread with your trolling spam has been reported. Have a good day.
:confused:

The science isn't settled and the Earth's climate has been changing ever since we've had an atmosphere.
Obama goes to Fresno, Ca. that is in the midst of a drought and "preach" Global Warming. Fact is the scientists have stated that there have been several droughts through the centuries that lasts for decades.....long before man could have had any influence in the area.

I am not interested in your political views. I am interested in scientific appraisals of the David Attenborough videos I've posted here. Did you even watch them?

What part of this statement highlighted for you sounds political?

By the way, your David Attenborough only has honorary docorates, he's a naturalist. So I have no idea really what your point is?

Last edited:
By the way, skookerasbil, your attempt to disrupt this thread with your trolling spam has been reported. Have a good day.
:confused:

The science isn't settled and the Earth's climate has been changing ever since we've had an atmosphere.
Obama goes to Fresno, Ca. that is in the midst of a drought and "preach" Global Warming. Fact is the scientists have stated that there have been several droughts through the centuries that lasts for decades.....long before man could have had any influence in the area.

I am not interested in your political views. I am interested in scientific appraisals of the David Attenborough videos I've posted here. Did you even watch them?

Attenborough is a devout warmist so his production espouses his deeply religious viewpoint. Of course, thinking people refer to that as propaganda. And of course he is yet another in a long line of collectivists seeking, no surprise here, POPULATION CONTROL!

Yes, you folks just reeeeealy seem to hate black and brown people. I guess if you can't abort them fast enough you will resort to forced sterilization to eliminate the problem eh?

Sir David Attenborough: If we do not control population, the natural world will

Sir David Attenborough: If we do not control population, the natural world will - Telegraph

I don't care WHICH alternative we go with, as long as we go with one. If Warren Buffet is willing to put out $2.2 billion for an alternative energy plant, I'd say he must be convinced they've got a financial future ahead of them.

You have a right to your opinion. But, me as an investor.......I wouldn't park my money in such a speculative market as that, and investing is where I made my retirement money.

I never said you had to and your absence has not created any shortfall that I see.

I stand by my original post that stated the cost/return just doesn't add up for the average American, Abe. All of this new energy costs will be on the backs of those who can least afford it when it comes time to pay their bills.
You can try and insult me if you wish, but it surely doesn't make you look any smarter. :eusa_whistle:

I don't see an insult. Neither do I see any significance in what you're saying about investments from "the average American". Few power plants are built with investments from John and Mary Doe, unless it comes out of their 401K.

I think alternative energy may have risks, but it has shown some tremendous growth potential in spots. I would be very pleased if an investment of mine grew 2800% in 10 years.

I don't see an insult. Neither do I see any significance in what you're saying about investments from "the average American". Few power plants are built with investments from John and Mary Doe, unless it comes out of their 401K.

I think alternative energy may have risks, but it has shown some tremendous growth potential in spots. I would be very pleased if an investment of mine grew 2800% in 10 years.

You missed my point....the cost from the benefits of the alternative energy is more expensive than we have now. The people who can least afford this are the ones who will suffer from it.

The people who can least afford anything suffer from all things. There is no reason to think they use more energy than anyone else. And I suspect that you and I have different valuations for energy produced without carbon.

Last edited:
The people who can least afford anything suffer from all things. There is no reason to think they use more energy than anyone else. And I suspect that you and I have different valuations for energy produced without carbon.

That is true. However you are WILLFULLY condemning poor people to lives without electricity because you can afford alternatives....they can't. So they will have to go without. On the other hand if you decide in your benevolence to allow these poor, poor people to "lease sir may have energy at the old cheap prices, can we please sir..." then they need not suffer at least that one thing.

But your elitist, collectivist mentality will never allow that. "Damned brown people...CURSE THEM!".....as you would say....

Forum List

Back