Global Warming Did Not Cause The Storms, Says Senior Met Office Expert

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
\By Guest Column Dr. Benny Peise

One of the Met Office’s most senior experts yesterday made a dramatic intervention in the climate change debate by insisting there is no link between the storms that have battered Britain and global warming. Mat Collins, a Professor in climate systems at Exeter University, said the storms have been driven by the jet stream – the high-speed current of air that girdles the globe – which has been ‘stuck’ further south than usual. Professor Collins told The Mail on Sunday: ‘There is no evidence that global warming can cause the jet stream to get stuck in the way it has this winter. If this is due to climate change, it is outside our knowledge.’—David Rose, Mail on Sunday, 16 February 2014

Okay, I know darn well some posters are gonna go out of their way to “prove” how wrong this is and I don't have the technical knowledge to decide if they're right or wrong; I'm must posting this as an example of how many different “experts” have opinions on this subject. Read the article @ Global Warming Did Not Cause The Storms, Says Senior Met Office Expert

Crickets.. I hear Crickets..

Now if we could get a statement that the Cali drought was not caused by Global Warming, I think John Kerry's work would be done for the week..

I didn't read the article, but it is widely believed that that the current cycle of storms and drought, and the movement of the jet stream, are because of the water temps in the Pacific. I think they call them La Nina and El Nino.......right now, the water temps are on the cool side so the jet stream takes a hard bend north just before the American west coast, dips to the South mid country, and rides up along the East coast...where it slides along the northern Atlantic only to slam back South into England....

Most agree that this is normal for the current conditions in the Pacific.

One of the Met Office’s most senior experts yesterday made a dramatic intervention in the climate change debate by insisting there is no link between the storms that have battered Britain and global warming. Mat Collins, a Professor in climate systems at Exeter University, said the storms have been driven by the jet stream – the high-speed current of air that girdles the globe – which has been ‘stuck’ further south than usual. Professor Collins told The Mail on Sunday: ‘There is no evidence that global warming can cause the jet stream to get stuck in the way it has this winter. If this is due to climate change, it is outside our knowledge.’—David Rose, Mail on Sunday, 16 February 2014

Okay, I know darn well some posters are gonna go out of their way to “prove” how wrong this is and I don't have the technical knowledge to decide if they're right or wrong; I'm must posting this as an example of how many different “experts” have opinions on this subject. Read the article @ Global Warming Did Not Cause The Storms, Says Senior Met Office Expert

It has always been a mistake to say that any particular weather event was caused by global warming. What can be said is that global warming adds more energy to the climate system and thus will increase the average energy content of weather events.

As to changes in the system: the hiatus is a change in the system. ENSO (El Nino/Southern Oscillation) is a change in the system. The PDO is a change in the system. These things are quasi periodic at best and the inputs that are driving their oscillations are not well known if they are known at all.

So, I think it is certain that global warming WILL cause changes in the system, but it cannot be definitively said what, beyond increasing average global temperatures, those changes will be. However, given that AGW is pushing the system into regimes unseen in human history, changes and trends not seen before have a high chance of being due to the conditions of our new climatic environment.

ps: It is quite common for climate experts to warn the media not to blame storms on climate change. We see it with almost EVERY severe weather event. Gives the lie to the contention that climate experts are pushing an alarmist agenda.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as global warming, man made global warming that is,
The earth has been heating up and cooling down all the time it's been here,
And it is possible to control the weather now,
Weather as a weapon is not fiction.
Nicola tesla said "that it shouldn't be a problem",
When asked could it be possible.
look up 'HAARP', on the Internet.

All we know is that Global Warming is for real, we don't know how it works or why Earth refuses to cooperate with the theory; but trust the AGWCult -- it's for real!

The whole " this weather is caused by the climate" debate is just dumber than hell.

ALL WEATHER combined over time = Climate.

This is a semantic debate and entirely worthless to understanding anything or for that matter proving anything either.

Its like taking one stock price over one day and saying that caused the Wall Street rally or crash.

Seriously are you folks THAT STUPID?

Do you imagine anyone else is that stupid?

Apparently some of you are that stupid , and some of you must believe that others are that stupid as well., too.

Last edited:

It has always been a mistake to say that any particular weather event was caused by global warming. What can be said is that global warming adds more energy to the climate system and thus will increase the average energy content of weather events.

As to changes in the system: the hiatus is a change in the system. ENSO (El Nino/Southern Oscillation) is a change in the system. The PDO is a change in the system. These things are quasi periodic at best and the inputs that are driving their oscillations are not well known if they are known at all.

So, I think it is certain that global warming WILL cause changes in the system, but it cannot be definitively said what, beyond increasing average global temperatures, those changes will be. However, given that AGW is pushing the system into regimes unseen in human history, changes and trends not seen before have a high chance of being due to the conditions of our new climatic environment.

ps: It is quite common for climate experts to warn the media not to blame storms on climate change. We see it with almost EVERY severe weather event. Gives the lie to the contention that climate experts are pushing an alarmist agenda.

Chronology of Extreme Weather

Ooooooooops

The whole " this weather is caused by the climate" debate is just dumber than hell.

ALL WEATHER combined over time = Climate.

This is a semantic debate and entirely worthless to understanding anything or for that matter proving anything either.

Its like taking one stock price over one day and saying that caused the Wall Street rally or crash.

Seriously are you folks THAT STUPID?

Do you imagine anyone else is that stupid?

Apparently some of you are that stupid , and some of you must believe that others are that stupid as well., too.

I like the way you put that.. Saw the former Prez of the Amer.Met.Soc making the cable rounds. He also had an interesting take on the winter weather. His point was that with winter events, it's not that snow and icing are a GW event, it's the years LEADING UP to this winter where we DIDN'T experience "normal" winter patterns. Lulled us into complacency about handling a rarer extreme season.. Which turns the meme about "increasing severe" weather on it's other ear.. Winter get less extreme with GW. It's just common sense.

I sense there's blowback here about how much crystal balling is goin on...

Climate is a measure of the average pattern of variation in temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind, precipitation, atmospheric particle count and other meteorological variables in a given region over long periods of time.

Do realize that a changing climate will cause those variations. Say for one that the jet stream might set up within a different mean position on avg changing mean rainfall and temperature. This is the kind of changes that we'd see.

Who's to say that warm sst's could cause more intense precipitation and storms.

Yes,,,Everything is something to be laughed at.

Climate is a measure of the average pattern of variation in temperature, humidity, atmospheric pressure, wind, precipitation, atmospheric particle count and other meteorological variables in a given region over long periods of time.

Do realize that a changing climate will cause those variations. Say for one that the jet stream might set up within a different mean position on avg changing mean rainfall and temperature. This is the kind of changes that we'd see.

Yes, we get it.

No mater what the given weather event is, it's all because of global warming.

Yes, we get it.

No mater what the given weather event is, it's all because of global warming.

A natural climate change = variations in the weather from one period to the next.

Forum List

Back