Are Christians hypocrites?

I get awful tired of non Christian/Jewish busy-bodies telling Christians how they should act or what they should think. So we evidently have something in common. If non-believers would concentrate on their on personal issues and quit telling believers how they should act/be or what they should be teaching their own children then we could all take a rest.

Do you have any personal examples of this?

Nah, I must've lost track of that definition in the wake of his definition of "sexual relations.":lol:

Relativism and out of context literalism: The weapons of choice for those who have no real argument but wish to play themselves off as intellectually superior.

When we found out that, according to Clinton, oral sex does not qualify as "sexual relations", I speculated to my husband that perhaps the Democrats merely consider it a friendly greeting, the way other people view a handshake. He nearly switched party registrations on the spot. :eusa_angel:

I still want to know why just some regular joe christian gets to define what a sin is and what is not a sin?Not saying all do this but some do! Even if you live what you think is a pure life that still doesn't mean you get to judge another!

Um, the Bible defines what sin is. And since Christianity is a very personal, individual relationship with God, we are each in charge of applying the Bible's teachings to our lives.

And yeah, you DO get to judge the actions of others. It's damned near impossible to live life WITHOUT doing it. That's not to say they're going to care about your opinion, but the Bible instructs us in numerous places to distinguish between good and bad actions, and even to tell our Christian brothers and sisters when they're screwing up.

What you CANNOT do is judge the state of someone else's soul, because only God can know for sure, and it's hubris to presume knowledge you could not possibly have.

I used to get invited to churches all the time but I never do anymore! I wonder why?:evil:
I have gone to a few churches since breaking off away from the religions my parents believe in and I still haven't found one that believes the way I do. I for one em not a big fan of most organized religion, I believe in a god, but have doubts about who Jesus really was, and really don't want to attend a church where they feel women are just there to take care of their husband and the children. The last church I attended on a regular basis the minister started talking about politics which I felt was wrong so I of course stopped going there which was eight year ago. I also started to question to much about what they were teaching us so I felt I didn't belong there.
I guess my biggest thing is even though my faith is not real strong I know how important it is for children to grow up going to church, I enjoyed it as a child and feel it teaches them morals. I have a son who I want to go to church but I don't want to cringe every time I have to take him. So if anyone has some good ideas on some liberal churches that would be great!

Try the Unitarian Universalists. They believe the Jesus was a prophet and wise man, don't appear to have any other especially strong beliefs in a fundamentally Christian sense, and tend to be pretty liberal on social issues. Their congregations are usually made up of reasonably well-educated professional types who want to attend church and have something of a spiritual nature in their lives, without getting too deep into religion.

You obviously have never studied the Bible, in particular the teachings in the New Testament. If the Fellowship of Believers is not actively working to help those who do not know God and the plan of salvation, then that "church" is a dead church, and the Bible says that in the later days God will spit that church out of His mouth. They are the Church of Satan, and those who fellowship there are followers of Satan. The Christian God will deny you with the words, "Depart from me for I never knew you." Check it out in Revelation.

Consequently, according to the Bible, you are damned to hell.

Shame that! Try reading the Bible and find out what your responsibilities are to God and to your fellow man.

Obviously you didn't read my post. Read it again. I didn't say we weren't to witness to unbelievers and draw them in. I said the purpose of church, as it was put forth in the first post, was to praise God and strengthen belief.

THE church is supposed to save sinners...but that isn't the purpose of gathering together in one place to worship, and that was what the first poster was referring to.

Try the Unitarian Universalists. They believe the Jesus was a prophet and wise man, don't appear to have any other especially strong beliefs in a fundamentally Christian sense, and tend to be pretty liberal on social issues. Their congregations are usually made up of reasonably well-educated professional types who want to attend church and have something of a spiritual nature in their lives, without getting too deep into religion.
I have heard of that church but not sure they have one where I live. I will look into it though!

I have heard of that church but not sure they have one where I live. I will look into it though!

this is what we believe:
There are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:

* The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
* Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
* Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
* A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
* The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
* The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
* Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Unitarian Universalism (UU) draws from many sources:

* Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
* Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
* Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
* Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
* Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
* Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.

These principles and sources of faith are the backbone of our religious community.

and you don't even have to leave your house
Church of the Larger Fellowship | Home Page

I still want to know why just some regular joe christian gets to define what a sin is and what is not a sin?Not saying all do this but some do! Even if you live what you think is a pure life that still doesn't mean you get to judge another!
The Bible defines sin so there is really no average Joe deciding what is sin. Jesus was fairly clear about all the additions that Pharissees added to the Word. He was also clear in stating that the Ten Commanments were still in effect and He added one, "Love one another".

As far as looking for a place for your children to learn the basics you may want to consider Awana's. I am not big on organized religion yet I am very grateful for the Bible study my children did in Sunday school and the fun that they had at Awana's. We had neighbors who went to the church of Nazerine when they were little they went there a few times but ultimately they choose the Community Church in the neighboring town where one of my aunts lived. The Community church had the Awana's program and the children loved it. As do also my grandchildren.

When they were teenagers and they still choose the church of their own choice and checked out just about every church in the little town we lived in. They ultimately always returned to the little Community Church.

Many Churches will help by providing pickup services for the children to get to Sunday school.

When my grandchildren were small since we lived in an area that I knew very few people I went to the Sunday school classes with them to see how they were treated there. Eventually after checking a few different churches in the new area we found a church place where the children enjoyed going and looked forward to going to Sunday school. That is the most important portion of choosing where your children will be taught. If the church people do not want you in the Sunday school classes with your children to make sure they are happy and being treated well then you probably do not want your children there with those church people.

http://www.awana.org/

"Live at let live" does not include lay down and let others rule over you regardless of who they are or how big of feet they may have.

Matthew 5:38-48.

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. 41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. 42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. 44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? 47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? 48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."
Here is the point at which the believers now pipe up and say, "but that isn't what he meant..."

Apparently, I missed the part where Jesus said, "if a non-believer (rabid dog) challenges you, ram your fist down his throat and knock out his teeth."

Last edited:
I don't follow what you mean. Everyone has to try to understand what right and wrong (sin) is and make decisions for their life. If you're a Christian this will involve interpreting scripture... if you mean they impose these opinions on others though that is another matter.

Isn't proposition 8 imposing a rigid position on sin on the rest of the population?

When Christians stop trying to legislate their specific take on morality for everyone else, i'll cut them a little slack in their personal behavior.

Isn't proposition 8 imposing a rigid position on sin on the rest of the population?

When Christians stop trying to legislate their specific take on morality for everyone else, i'll cut them a little slack in their personal behavior.

I don't really know anything about it, I'm not from Cali.

prop 8 is the result of democratic and constitutional republic process being played....what is good for the goose in this process is also good for the gander....both sides use our government process to try to get in to Law what they believe is good for society....sometimes it is worked out through legislation, sometimes it is worked through at the court level/constitutional level if it makes it there...etc. But they are all processes within our democratic Republic's government...no greater freedoms to use the gvt process to Christians over Athiests or Gays or Jews or Blacks or Whites etc...

Care

Here is the point at which the believers now pipe up and say, "but that isn't what he meant..."

Apparently, I missed the part where Jesus said, "if a non-believer (rabid dog) challenges you, ram your fist down his throat and knock out his teeth."
Obviously when you make up your own words as to what Jesus or any believer said you miss it all. Your problem not mine.

See unlike you have in your signature I gave my heart to Jesus and He calls me on a regular basis. In bitterness and your own self willed misleading twist you have only yourself to fault if it is as you say that Jesus "never calls" you. You can "sleep" in the dust and clay (dirt) of the earth if'n you like but I do not care to sleep in the dirt.

Obviously when you make up your own words as to what Jesus or any believer said you miss it all. Your problem not mine.

See unlike you have in your signature I gave my heart to Jesus and He calls me on a regular basis. In bitterness and your own self willed misleading twist you have only yourself to fault if it is as you say that Jesus "never calls" you. You can "sleep" in the dust and clay (dirt) of the earth if'n you like but I do not care to sleep in the dirt.

What exactly does this nonsensical reply have to do with the scriptural answer provided to you? Your views are not in line with scripture. I was a sunday school teacher in a fundy church for over 20 years.

Repent, dammit.

Forum List

Back