Are Christians hypocrites?

Neubarth

At the Ballpark July 30th
Nov 8, 2008
South Pacific
The purpose of a church is to save sinners.

If a church does not have a whole bunch of sinners attending the services, that church is not doing what it should be doing, and that is inviting non believers and strong sinners to come and fellowship and learn about God.

So, if you go to a church that only has religious people who are totally obedient to God, then you have found a hypocrite laden church.

Otherwise, if you are surrounded with sinners, that church must have one hell of a ministry. My hat is off to a church like that. It is doing God's work.

The purpose of a church is NOT to save sinners. The purpose of a church is to #1, praise God, and to provide fellowship, support and strengthen the faith of those who are saved.

Those who are saved are supposed to witness to others, and most Christian churches have an open door policy when it comes to bringing in the unsaved; we like to see people in our churches, hearing the word, because through the Word comes salvation. But the primary function of a church isn't to "save" sinners, nor is the implication that those who are "saved" aren't sinners. THat is the universal appeal of the Christian church...the recognition that we are all sinners, every single one of us. We are saved through faith and faith alone. The desire to be good comes with being saved...but nowhere in the Bible does it say that those who are saved are not still sinful, and nobody except someone who is completely ignorant of Christianity would ever try to imply that. Every human is a sinner, and Christians recognize this.

I get tired of being called a "hypocrite" because I don't act the way non-Christians think I should. That doesn't make me a hypocrite, it makes you ignorant because you don't understand Christianity.

Last edited:
what do you expect from dogma junkies? Really? During the course of human events it's not as if religious hypocrisy is brand new or, I daresay, predictable.

I would have to say that most I have met are.

Perfect example: Christmas
They are suppose to follow a law (commandment) which says lying is a sin, and yet they lie to their children and tell them there is some mythical 'santa claus' giving them presents.

I would have to say that most I have met are.

Perfect example: Christmas
They are suppose to follow a law (commandment) which says lying is a sin, and yet they lie to their children and tell them there is some mythical 'santa claus' giving them presents.

Eight-year-old Virginia O'Hanlon wrote a letter to the editor of New York's Sun, and the quick response was printed as an unsigned editorial Sept. 21, 1897. The work of veteran newsman Francis Pharcellus Church has since become history's most reprinted newspaper editorial, appearing in part or whole in dozens of languages in books, movies, and other editorials, and on posters and stamps.

"DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.
"Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
"Papa says, 'If you see it in THE SUN it's so.'
"Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

"VIRGINIA O'HANLON.
"115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET."

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except [what] they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

Newseum - Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus

If a church does not have a whole bunch of sinners attending the services, that church is not doing what it should be doing, and that is inviting non believers and strong sinners to come and fellowship and learn about God.

So, if you go to a church that only has religious people who are totally obedient to God, then you have found a hypocrite laden church.

Otherwise, if you are surrounded with sinners, that church must have one hell of a ministry. My hat is off to a church like that. It is doing God's work.

There are many Christian hypocrites (I include myself in this group, as I am not the best Christian I could be), but not for this reason. Church is to worship and enrich one's relationship with God. Evangelism is pursued in one's everyday life, "on the street" as it were.

Last edited:
I took me awhile to find the Scripture verse I was looking for:

"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ. "

Colossians 2:6-8​

And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen. (Matthew 28:18-20)

The purpose of a church is NOT to save sinners. The purpose of a church is to #1, praise God, and to provide fellowship, support and strengthen the faith of those who are saved.

Those who are saved are supposed to witness to others, and most Christian churches have an open door policy when it comes to bringing in the unsaved; we like to see people in our churches, hearing the word, because through the Word comes salvation. But the primary function of a church isn't to "save" sinners, nor is the implication that those who are "saved" aren't sinners. THat is the universal appeal of the Christian church...the recognition that we are all sinners, every single one of us. We are saved through faith and faith alone. The desire to be good comes with being saved...but nowhere in the Bible does it say that those who are saved are not still sinful, and nobody except someone who is completely ignorant of Christianity would ever try to imply that. Every human is a sinner, and Christians recognize this.

I get tired of being called a "hypocrite" because I don't act the way non-Christians think I should. That doesn't make me a hypocrite, it makes you ignorant because you don't understand Christianity.

You obviously have never studied the Bible, in particular the teachings in the New Testament. If the Fellowship of Believers is not actively working to help those who do not know God and the plan of salvation, then that "church" is a dead church, and the Bible says that in the later days God will spit that church out of His mouth. They are the Church of Satan, and those who fellowship there are followers of Satan. The Christian God will deny you with the words, "Depart from me for I never knew you." Check it out in Revelation.

Consequently, according to the Bible, you are damned to hell.

Shame that! Try reading the Bible and find out what your responsibilities are to God and to your fellow man.

I get tired of self-righteous nosey judgmental Christian busy-bodies practically always telling me that what I am doing is wrong and trying to tell me how I should live. If they would concentrate on improving their own lives instead of being so eager to find fault among others, the world would be a much better place.

My dad, who is a Mormon, said it best I think:
"We're not any better than anyone else, just forgiven".

I always liked that. It shuts up the religion haters immediately!

I get tired of self-righteous nosey judgmental Christian busy-bodies practically always telling me that what I am doing is wrong and trying to tell me how I should live. If they would concentrate on improving their own lives instead of being so eager to find fault among others, the world would be a much better place.

Don't forget the self-righteous, nosey, judgement NON/ANTI - Christian busybodies practically always telling you what you are doing is wrong and trying to tell you how you should live.

If THEY would concentrate on improving THEIR own lives instead of being so eager to find fault among others, the world would be a much better place.

If a church has ANYONE attending, it has sinners attending. I have never in my life met a person who was TOTALLY obedient to God.

And saving sinners is not the ONLY purpose of a church. It also, for example, serves the purpose of helping those already saved to remain so.

There are many Christian hypocrites (I include myself in this group, as I am not the best Christian I could be), but not for this reason. Church is to worship and enrich one's relationship with God. Evangelism is pursued in one's everyday life, "on the street" as it were.

Why would you consider yourself a hypocrite? Do you espouse verbally a practice which you have no intention of trying to follow? Sincerely trying to obey God and failing does not make you a hypocrite. It just makes you imperfect . . . and human.

Forum List

Back