Anyone have Noahide / Noachide Questions?

Kim

Aug 7, 2008
I'm a new member & I'm interested in tons of topics, not just religion.

But I saw & replied to an (old?) post about the modern Noahide movement. I've been involved for over 20 years, so if anyone has I question, I'd be happy to respond.

I look forward to lots of discussion on this message board.

Kim

I'm a new member & I'm interested in tons of topics, not just religion.

But I saw & replied to an (old?) post about the modern Noahide movement. I've been involved for over 20 years, so if anyone has I question, I'd be happy to respond.

I look forward to lots of discussion on this message board.

Kim

Yeah. WTF is a "noahide"? and who came up with that retarded name? It sounds like something you hang on your wall after a successful outing of "noah"-killing.

Yeah. WTF is a "noahide"? and who came up with that retarded name? It sounds like something you hang on your wall after a successful outing of "noah"-killing.

Another way of one of the mods here saying, "Welcome New Person!"

(Uh,yeah Gunny, I had to google "noahide" to see what it was. I really thought it was a group of people that liked rugs or something....:redface:)

The word comes from Noah of Noah's Ark in the Bible.

The original language is Hebrew (before all the translations). In Hebrew, Noah's name is Noach. Hence, Noachide or Noahide. Both are correct.

In the Bible, Noah is called "righteous" because of how he lived, according to 7 Divine instructions (aka laws). These instructions were simple, not elaborate, as those later given only to the people (nation) of Israel.

So, really, a Noahide is anyone who was not born Jewish (or converted to Judaism). And just as there are observant Jews and non-observant Jews, there are observant and non-observant Noahides.

Kim

The word comes from Noah of Noah's Ark in the Bible.

The original language is Hebrew (before all the translations). In Hebrew, Noah's name is Noach. Hence, Noachide or Noahide. Both are correct.

In the Bible, Noah is called "righteous" because of how he lived, according to 7 Divine instructions (aka laws). These instructions were simple, not elaborate, as those later given only to the people (nation) of Israel.

So, really, a Noahide is anyone who was not born Jewish (or converted to Judaism). And just as there are observant Jews and non-observant Jews, there are observant and non-observant Noahides.

Kim

you mean gentiles I assume ?

Yes, I mean Gentiles. Believe it or not, I have talked with some people who don't know the term "Gentile"; that's why I used non-Jew.

Yes, I mean Gentiles. Believe it or not, I have talked with some people who don't know the term "Gentile"; that's why I used non-Jew.

OK, are they (you) considered Christians? This is fascinating, since I've never heard of it before.
Is it a religion, or a movement?

Gotta love the message board!

RWA? Well, there is a ton of mis-information out there about the Noahide movement, so I'm not surprised that some people react strongly to the wrong information.

A religion or a movement? Yes, I tend to call it a movement, not a religion. I've never been a big fan of organized religion, hierarchy, someone telling me what to believe and not to believe. Also, religions tend to cause people to act and react more with emotions than intellect, and advocating "blind faith" instead of intellectual conviction.

Those who call themselves Noahides, are not Jewish and not Christian. However, we do share a belief in God, the god of the Judeo-Christian Bible, that is.

Most individuals in the movement have spent years studying the Bible, coming to our own conclusions, and eventually found other people who came to the same conclusions.

Dogma? Well, that's constantly changing & each person lives by their own beliefs, as it should be. We have, however, found 7 basic instructions (translated laws in English) that we agree were part of what Noah lived by. There are six prohibitions and one positive instruction.
1. No theft
2. No homicide
3. No illicit intercourse
4. No idolatry
5. No blasphemy
6. No cruelty to animals
7. Yes observe justice

It's pretty obvious that these 7 are really topics and they require difinitions, which means all this causes a lot of discussion. And we all love that!

Kim

Another way of one of the mods here saying, "Welcome New Person!"

(Uh,yeah Gunny, I had to google "noahide" to see what it was. I really thought it was a group of people that liked rugs or something....:redface:)

That's the Gunny way of asking WTF is a "noahide?" :eusa_eh:

You must be female, huh? Want me to fluff that up for you?

Excuse me ... how are you? How are the kids? Good ... good. Sorry to take up your time, but since you brought up the topic, would it be too much of a bother for you to begin the discussion by defining the topic? I am sure those who do not know what a "noahide" is, to include myself, would be ever so grateful.:eusa_angel:

Better?:evil:

HA!

my thoughts exactly!

That's the Gunny way of asking WTF is a "noahide?" :eusa_eh:

You must be female, huh? Want me to fluff that up for you?

Excuse me ... how are you? How are the kids? Good ... good. Sorry to take up your time, but since you brought up the topic, would it be too much of a bother for you to begin the discussion by defining the topic? I am sure those who do not know what a "noahide" is, to include myself, would be ever so grateful.:eusa_angel:

Better?:evil:

Yeah, that sounds about right! :eusa_whistle:

RWA? Well, there is a ton of mis-information out there about the Noahide movement, so I'm not surprised that some people react strongly to the wrong information.

A religion or a movement? Yes, I tend to call it a movement, not a religion. I've never been a big fan of organized religion, hierarchy, someone telling me what to believe and not to believe. Also, religions tend to cause people to act and react more with emotions than intellect, and advocating "blind faith" instead of intellectual conviction.

Those who call themselves Noahides, are not Jewish and not Christian. However, we do share a belief in God, the god of the Judeo-Christian Bible, that is.

Most individuals in the movement have spent years studying the Bible, coming to our own conclusions, and eventually found other people who came to the same conclusions.

Dogma? Well, that's constantly changing & each person lives by their own beliefs, as it should be. We have, however, found 7 basic instructions (translated laws in English) that we agree were part of what Noah lived by. There are six prohibitions and one positive instruction.
1. No theft
2. No homicide
3. No illicit intercourse
4. No idolatry
5. No blasphemy
6. No cruelty to animals
7. Yes observe justice

It's pretty obvious that these 7 are really topics and they require difinitions, which means all this causes a lot of discussion. And we all love that!

Kim

So instead of the 10 Commandants, you have the 7.

Where is no lying or cheating?

I'm afraid to ask what illicit intercourse is. :confused:

I attempted to answer, but it got really long & it took me a long time, so I think I "timed out" or something. I got automatically logged out without finishing my post.

I'll try again, but can someone tell me what the limits are so it doesn't happen again? How long (time) can I take writing a post before I get kicked off? Is there a limit to how long the text of a post can be?

Thank you,
Kim

if that happens just copy and paste your reply after you relog on. happens to me with my epic posts too.

I attempted to answer, but it got really long & it took me a long time, so I think I "timed out" or something. I got automatically logged out without finishing my post.

I'll try again, but can someone tell me what the limits are so it doesn't happen again? How long (time) can I take writing a post before I get kicked off? Is there a limit to how long the text of a post can be?

Thank you,
Kim

Yes there is a time limit. I'm not sure exactly what it is without looking. Usually, the login pops up if you have timed out and all you do is log back in and it will post.

The other way is as Shogun suggests. Copy your post to the clipboard so you don't lose it just in case.

A warnign note will appear if you exceed the number if characters. It's quite a lot though.

Lies / Cheating - the basis of the "theft" category is honesty / dishonesty. Also, what is stolen may not be an object. For instance, you can steal a persons good name / reputation by gossiping about them. However, lying to protect a life is, of course, a wonderful thing.

To answer your questions regarding the 10 commandments and illicit intercourse, I have to explain something. In the Bible, what is commanded to Jewish people is not necessarily instructed to Gentiles ( non-Jews, Noahides). There is a big difference.

When you read the Bible passage that lists the 10 Commandments, if you read the surrounding text you can see that they were given to Israel (people / nation) and not to Gentiles. Even in the Christian New Testament texts this can be seen. Gentiles are not obligated to follow all the rules that Jewish people must follow, according to the Bible. That includes observing the Sabbath.

The Noahide category of illicit intercourse includes prohibitions against rape, sex with children, sex with animals, and sex with close relatives (incest). If you are married, you can only have sex with your spouse. If you are not married, you cannot have sex with someone else's spouse.

As most people know, the Bible is not politically correct. But Noahides attempt to live their lives according to instructions in the Bible because we believe them to be given by God. So, a man having sex with a man is considered illicit intercourse in Noahide "law".

Marriage: Again, there is a biblical distinction between Gentiles and Jews. Adam, Eve, Noah, and Abraham all lived before there was an "Israel" / Jewish people. So in their time, everyone was Gentile. When a man began to live with a woman (& have sex with her), they were called husband and wife. If one of them had sex with someone other than their spouse, it was called adultery - illicit intercourse. Later, when Israel came into existance along with commandments that applied only to them, nothing changed for the rest of humanity. They still had the same, original, Noahide laws.

So, when Christians say that premarital sex is prohibited, they are correct regarding Jewish people but not for Gentiles.

Of course, there is a lot more to all this, so feel free to keep the discussion going.

Lies / Cheating - the basis of the "theft" category is honesty / dishonesty. Also, what is stolen may not be an object. For instance, you can steal a persons good name / reputation by gossiping about them. However, lying to protect a life is, of course, a wonderful thing.

To answer your questions regarding the 10 commandments and illicit intercourse, I have to explain something. In the Bible, what is commanded to Jewish people is not necessarily instructed to Gentiles ( non-Jews, Noahides). There is a big difference.

When you read the Bible passage that lists the 10 Commandments, if you read the surrounding text you can see that they were given to Israel (people / nation) and not to Gentiles. Even in the Christian New Testament texts this can be seen. Gentiles are not obligated to follow all the rules that Jewish people must follow, according to the Bible. That includes observing the Sabbath.

The Noahide category of illicit intercourse includes prohibitions against rape, sex with children, sex with animals, and sex with close relatives (incest). If you are married, you can only have sex with your spouse. If you are not married, you cannot have sex with someone else's spouse.

As most people know, the Bible is not politically correct. But Noahides attempt to live their lives according to instructions in the Bible because we believe them to be given by God. So, a man having sex with a man is considered illicit intercourse in Noahide "law".

Marriage: Again, there is a biblical distinction between Gentiles and Jews. Adam, Eve, Noah, and Abraham all lived before there was an "Israel" / Jewish people. So in their time, everyone was Gentile. When a man began to live with a woman (& have sex with her), they were called husband and wife. If one of them had sex with someone other than their spouse, it was called adultery - illicit intercourse. Later, when Israel came into existance along with commandments that applied only to them, nothing changed for the rest of humanity. They still had the same, original, Noahide laws.

So, when Christians say that premarital sex is prohibited, they are correct regarding Jewish people but not for Gentiles.

Of course, there is a lot more to all this, so feel free to keep the discussion going.

1) What if a gay person wants to be a Noahide?

2) Still not sure, are Noahide's considered "Christians?" Do they believe Jesus is their savior?

Forum List

Back