anyone had a gastric by pass?

the reason i am asking...i am diabetic....hubby wanted me to have a by pass but i was too chicken....i lost a lot of weight and i am down to 134.4 lbs at 5 ft 10 inches...but now after living with this for a year or more...i am thinking i may want the by pass and just say fuck the diabetes for a few years...the new study shows that only about 35 % are still good after 3 years out..so now i have looked into the by pass...and i have found the diet pretty restrictive and been told with the by pass i cannot eat and drink at the same time nor can i have sugar again...i have also been told i would have to gain all the weight back plus a few lbs more to qualify for it..

You don't need one. That is a healthy weight for your height.

A bypass will probably get rid of diabetes, but you may get complications and do you really want to eat pureed food and not much of it as your stomach will be unable to hold a lot. You will probably be vomiting daily. I think you should just have some sort of CBT to rid yourself of your liking for food that is not that good for your sugar levels.

o jon i would have to gain the weight back....they have already said...to stop losing weight and to start gaing muscle but i am a cardio person...i have weights in the car ...they have been in the car for months...i have a nordic track...i hate that sob....

when the mrs had the cancer

she dropped to 97 pounds

today she is sporting a 118 pounds

but it still takes a lot to keep that weight

Your stomach shrinks on its' own if you eat less. And does the opposite if you eat more, requiring more to fill you up. A lot of people bought into the low fat high carb diet and Americans have never been fatter. Adult diabetis means that you are doing it wrong. High blood sugar will also increase the likelyhood of Alzheimers or other mental issues. That too has increased recently.

A bypass will probably get rid of diabetes, but you may get complications and do you really want to eat pureed food and not much of it as your stomach will be unable to hold a lot. You will probably be vomiting daily. I think you should just have some sort of CBT to rid yourself of your liking for food that is not that good for your sugar levels.

well you just said the magic word...i hate to vomit..period....

and that is what i have been told...just trading one suck ass diet for another

well you just said the magic word...i hate to vomit..period....

and that is what i have been told...just trading one suck ass diet for another

Good luck, whatever you decide. You can control your diabetes without a bypass. Bypasses are ok for people more obese than you. Try the CBT or hypnotherapy route or some sort of support group.

the reason i am asking...i am diabetic....hubby wanted me to have a by pass but i was too chicken....i lost a lot of weight and i am down to 134.4 lbs at 5 ft 10 inches...but now after living with this for a year or more...i am thinking i may want the by pass and just say fuck the diabetes for a few years...the new study shows that only about 35 % are still good after 3 years out..so now i have looked into the by pass...and i have found the diet pretty restrictive and been told with the by pass i cannot eat and drink at the same time nor can i have sugar again...i have also been told i would have to gain all the weight back plus a few lbs more to qualify for it..

if you can maintain your 134 LBS then you don't need a bypass the key thing here is sugar ... you must stay away from sugar ... not only is it bad for you being a diabetic but its bad fopr you even if you're not diabetic ... the thing you will start to realize no mater what diet you go on you must control your weight you see one of the down falls of being a diabetic is you gain weight very easy ... why I don't know ... some of my best friends struggle with weight with their diabetes... the best thing you can do is watch your weight and watch what you eat ... you can lose body parts not to mention your life, if you don't put the sugar down

if you can maintain your 134 LBS then you don't need a bypass the key thing here is sugar ... you must stay away from sugar ... not only is it bad for you being a diabetic but its bad fopr you even if you're not diabetic ... the thing you will start to realize no mater what diet you go on you must control your weight you see one of the down falls of being a diabetic is you gain weight very easy ... why I don't know ... some of my best friends struggle with weight with their diabetes... the best thing you can do is watch your weight and watch what you eat ... you can lose body parts not to mention your life, if you don't put the sugar down

I believe there are some Insulin drugs, (if the OP takes Insulin), that actually help reduce the weight by making you more full. Also some carbs are not to friendly with regards to blood sugar levels, but I am not sure which so that is something to be taken up with a dietitan or nutritionist etc. Is there some sort of Diabetic Association you could look at that has support forums, pages of recipes, etc? Choose advice from the internet wisely though because your life is too precious to take incorrect advice.

Bones do NOT do it. I know 3 people who have done it and it has done nothing but screw them up not to mention they don't lose much weight.

You'll get sick as hell if you 'over eat', which isn't over eating, and you'll experience all kinds of other discomfort because of it.

It will be a huge mistake if you do it, trust me (well not me, but the the 3 people who I know) They regret doing it.

All this nonsense about not eating carbs is bunk as well. It's all about a balanced diet, meaning the proper amount of protein, carbs and fats. I have an extensive background in nutrition, exercise, weight loss. If you PM me I can give you some very simple guidelines that will help you tremendously.

Your energy will skyrocket, you'll lose weight and feel the best you've ever felt. It's not hard at all and it's very very simple. It takes a little planning but that's just like anything. Bypass is horrendous on your body DON'T DO IT!!

BTW I've worked with a few diabetics and improved their quality of life tremendously

okay yall...sure i am at a great weight......i need to toss about 10 more lbs but the doctor points out my bonez are an issue now.....they weight a certain amount it does seem

cause with the by pass ....i can be a foodie again....

i miss carbs....o do i miss cards...i hate yogurt and have now gone to not eating the fruit on the bottom....i will do what it takes....but damn i hate all this mental math....if i eat this can i have this later....its like a 100 choices a day...and i am sick of it...

pity party.....i only invited myself....

its not a case of you being sick of it, you need to stick to a diet that keeps your blood sugars down period ... playing around with it, well if I eat this one day it will be ok or I'll give my self a little more insulin because I'm going to eat something sweat ... that's a recipe for your death ... your days of eating what you want are over ... you must eat what you are supposed to eat and nothing more ... the doctor has given you advice on what to eat ... my wife is a diabetic I do all the cooking and I control as much as I can what she eats ... I eat what she eats that helps because I can see what taste bad and what doesn't ... I don't eat, nor does she eat, any yogurt at all to maintain her or my weight ....there are so many books on cooking for people who are diabetic look around you learn to eat differently ... and no you don't have to become a vegan

Last edited:
and all this walking....i try to walk every day....i know most of the dogs by name now...i just want to be lazy and eat.....okay?

being lazy and eating is the problem ... its like people who have a second chance with lung cancer do they stop smoking ??? hell no ... they can't see why their lung cancer came back ... i hate walking too ... but I walk every day two miles with her and our dogs I'm thin, but Ive always been thin ... my waste line has been a 30 since I left high school ... but that doesn't stop me from being lazy ... I'm 63 now and still have a 30 waste..I'm 5 11 weigh 175Lbs your weight is perfict ... keep up the good work by walking and eating properly ... one other think knock off the drinking as much as you can ... if you allow yourself a drink on, oh say saturday well, limit the amount ... I don't drink ... I don't smoke ...I already knew I was cool ... so I didn't need to prove it to my self that I'm cool like the others did back in the day:badgrin::badgrin:

Last edited:
Bones, could it be you are tired of doing all that walking alone?

Do you have a YMCA? You can swim with other people. Playing volleyball will also get you toned muscle. And I bet you'lll feel less angry.

Join a team, m'dear.

Regards from Rosie

swimming is great ... I did a lot of that when I was a lot younger ... it was like every other day I would go to the swimming pool and in the summer I would go every day ... check out the woman I did ... discovered the wife there...

i know i know....i was very bad yesterday.....the sugar alcohols reek havoc with my stomach

so i got a box of chocolate covered cherries.....i could eat 3 i figured...i ate 6...1/2 the box to be exact...

well lets do my fbg.....brb

103 damn those cherries.....

but i rarely cheat that badly..

yogurt is fast and quick if i get up and my dp is bad....i can beat back my glucose tossing liver quickly with it...

i am not on insulin yet...i am sure trying to avoid it....i do met 500 mg 2x a day

i am a non swimmer...my parents didnt believe in life saving skills and i have never learned as an adult...we are talking about doing that this summer...i do a mean dog paddle

I believe there are some Insulin drugs, (if the OP takes Insulin), that actually help reduce the weight by making you more full. Also some carbs are not to friendly with regards to blood sugar levels, but I am not sure which so that is something to be taken up with a dietitan or nutritionist etc. Is there some sort of Diabetic Association you could look at that has support forums, pages of recipes, etc? Choose advice from the internet wisely though because your life is too precious to take incorrect advice.

I don't know about that insulin but there are many books on what you can eat that concerns carbs

i know i know....i was very bad yesterday.....the sugar alcohols reek havoc with my stomach

so i got a box of chocolate covered cherries.....i could eat 3 i figured...i ate 6...1/2 the box to be exact...

well lets do my fbg.....brb

103 damn those cherries.....

but i rarely cheat that badly..

yogurt is fast and quick if i get up and my dp is bad....i can beat back my glucose tossing liver quickly with it...

i am not on insulin yet...i am sure trying to avoid it....i do met 500 mg 2x a day

your nuts ... you don't play with sugar if your a diabetic .. its that simple ...

I don't know about that insulin but there are many books on what you can eat that concerns carbs

If the OP puts the words Insulin that helps you lose weight into Google, then she will find which will work provided her doctor is in agreement.

Forum List

Back