anyone had a gastric by pass?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
the reason i am asking...i am diabetic....hubby wanted me to have a by pass but i was too chicken....i lost a lot of weight and i am down to 134.4 lbs at 5 ft 10 inches...but now after living with this for a year or more...i am thinking i may want the by pass and just say fuck the diabetes for a few years...the new study shows that only about 35 % are still good after 3 years out..so now i have looked into the by pass...and i have found the diet pretty restrictive and been told with the by pass i cannot eat and drink at the same time nor can i have sugar again...i have also been told i would have to gain all the weight back plus a few lbs more to qualify for it..

Why on earth would you ever consider such a drastic choice when you are presently at a healthy weight?

You should be on a low or NO carb diet for the rest of your life.

okay yall...sure i am at a great weight......i need to toss about 10 more lbs but the doctor points out my bonez are an issue now.....they weight a certain amount it does seem

cause with the by pass ....i can be a foodie again....

i miss carbs....o do i miss cards...i hate yogurt and have now gone to not eating the fruit on the bottom....i will do what it takes....but damn i hate all this mental math....if i eat this can i have this later....its like a 100 choices a day...and i am sick of it...

pity party.....i only invited myself....

and all this walking....i try to walk every day....i know most of the dogs by name now...i just want to be lazy and eat.....okay?

You know if you eat whole natural foods, you can eat as much as you want. If you do Atkins or the Paleo diet, you are consuming meat and vegetables primarily. I don't know who told you to eat yogurt, but you are better off with eggs fried in real butter and some bacon.

No need for your pity party, lady. And, believe it or not, in time the carbs will not haunt you and you can enjoy an occasional piece of cake or slice of pizza so long as you see such an indulgence as a treat, not a lifestyle.

the reason i am asking...i am diabetic....hubby wanted me to have a by pass but i was too chicken....i lost a lot of weight and i am down to 134.4 lbs at 5 ft 10 inches...but now after living with this for a year or more...i am thinking i may want the by pass and just say fuck the diabetes for a few years...the new study shows that only about 35 % are still good after 3 years out..so now i have looked into the by pass...and i have found the diet pretty restrictive and been told with the by pass i cannot eat and drink at the same time nor can i have sugar again...i have also been told i would have to gain all the weight back plus a few lbs more to qualify for it..

Bones, nobody in their right mind would give you a bypass at your weight. You will still be good three years out.

You know if you eat whole natural foods, you can eat as much as you want. If you do Atkins or the Paleo diet, you are consuming meat and vegetables primarily. I don't know who told you to eat yogurt, but you are better off with eggs fried in real butter and some bacon.

No need for your pity party, lady. And, believe it or not, in time the carbs will not haunt you and you can enjoy an occasional piece of cake or slice of pizza so long as you see such an indulgence as a treat, not a lifestyle.

o blow it out your pie hole....my blood glucose meter tells me yogurt is okay...i eat the low this and low that greek with acidoufis or some bullshit.....

its been over a year...i had pizza last night....and almond cookies....now i must pay for my sins....and i just wanna sin.....

what amuses me.....they have this theory.....or question....are diabetics angry cause they are diabetic or diabetic cause they are angry?

and it is true...our moods are heavily influenced by our blood sugar....we can be real emotional and moody for no real reason then someone says...maybe you need to eat...

i love eating so i can bring my bg up to over a 100..before i go walking to bring my bg down....

i love the friggin chocolate brownie with no flour with macadamian nuts and ice cream at the bonefish grill......and peanut m & m's...i can eat 10 of those....

and when i have the damn brownies i have to go walk and i can only eat 1/2 the serving and i shouldnt eat that.....and ice cream..did i mention missing ice cream?

o my perhaps i should be looking into anger management classes .....

o blow it out your pie hole....my blood glucose meter tells me yogurt is okay...i eat the low this and low that greek with acidoufis or some bullshit.....

its been over a year...i had pizza last night....and almond cookies....now i must pay for my sins....and i just wanna sin.....

what amuses me.....they have this theory.....or question....are diabetics angry cause they are diabetic or diabetic cause they are angry?

and it is true...our moods are heavily influenced by our blood sugar....we can be real emotional and moody for no real reason then someone says...maybe you need to eat...

i love eating so i can bring my bg up to over a 100..before i go walking to bring my bg down....

i love the friggin chocolate brownie with no flour with macadamian nuts and ice cream at the bonefish grill......and peanut m & m's...i can eat 10 of those....

and when i have the damn brownies i have to go walk and i can only eat 1/2 the serving and i shouldnt eat that.....and ice cream..did i mention missing ice cream?

o my perhaps i should be looking into anger management classes .....

As Lou Grant said to Mary, "you got spunk. I hate spunk!"

Your husband is either a Saint or a Lunatic. :lol:

a wee bit of both....he is a saint.....he has guided me thru this and the procedure.....he never left my side...from the time they told me i had bladder cancer till a week or so after the removal of the non invasive little stinker....he was there....gawd was he there...he is a saint...he has watched me go thru a lot and been there....like a rock....

and he is crazy for staying when i gave him a 100 chances to bail.....

at a 134 pounds

it is not for you

more then likely

the doctors would not consider it

okay pity party is over...i got to get moving....yea and walk my friggin 10k worth of steps a day.....getting a pedometer will show you how really lazy we have become.....we think we walk all this miles and such but a pedometer will show you just how much you really walk..and it is never enough...the amish...have little diabetes or high blood pressure due to their walking...

o jon i would have to gain the weight back....they have already said...to stop losing weight and to start gaing muscle but i am a cardio person...i have weights in the car ...they have been in the car for months...i have a nordic track...i hate that sob....

Don't even think about such a horrible surgery. No doctor would do it anyway. And don't listen to internet diet experts either because they have no frikken clue what they're talking about.

Load a pedometer in your smart phone. I guarantee it will drive you crazy within a week. You'll hate it so much that only a giant brownie ................... never mind.

Balanced diet, small portions, exercise.

o jon i would have to gain the weight back....they have already said...to stop losing weight and to start gaing muscle but i am a cardio person...i have weights in the car ...they have been in the car for months...i have a nordic track...i hate that sob....

I'm addicted to my gazelle. Most of our equipment is in a separate building we built just for that but I brought the gazelle in for the winter. My rule is, I spend all commercials working out on it. I'm thinking I'll exchange it for the stationary bike for a while.

not if your a diabetic.....they still contain calories and carbs....who told you that?...

Don't even think about such a horrible surgery. No doctor would do it anyway. And don't listen to internet diet experts either because they have no frikken clue what they're talking about.

Load a pedometer in your smart phone. I guarantee it will drive you crazy within a week. You'll hate it so much that only a giant brownie ................... never mind.

Balanced diet, small portions, exercise.

thats it right there.....especially the small portions and NO second helpings....

Bones, could it be you are tired of doing all that walking alone?

Do you have a YMCA? You can swim with other people. Playing volleyball will also get you toned muscle. And I bet you'lll feel less angry.

Join a team, m'dear.

Regards from Rosie

Yes - working out in water. I hate water but after my knee surgery, that was really a huge help to me. Almost effortless.

Forum List

Back