Any reviews on the new Clancy Novel?

jckryan

So, this is purgatory?
Jan 18, 2011
Los Angeles, Ca
I'm thinkin about picking up "Dead or Alive". Been waiting awhile and been reading everything from Coonts to Thor.
Anybody read it yet?

I never really ever became interested in Tom Clancy. I liked End Game, but other then that, I never really loved them. I am sure he is a great writer, and I bet his book has attracted quite a audience too.

I'm not sure if I'll pick it up or not. I was a big Clancy fan prior to his concentrateing on non-fiction. This is his first piece of fiction in how many years? Another reason I may skip it... Being an avid reader and having worked in the family bookstore for many years, I have grown relecutant to read many books bearing the name of a popular author at the top of the cover with the words "with So-and-So" in small print at the bottom. More often than not I have found the style is much different than the big name author's original works, and the story not as good. This leads me to believe that the book has been written by the lesser known author and the big name is on the cover to boost sales. Clive Cussler has done this, though not with his Dirk Pitt series (his son's name has popped up on the covers of the last couple of Pitt books, they sucked).

Anywho...

Dead or Alive, the jury is still out for me...

Don't have time. If it is one he actually wrote, it also messes up my sleep schedule.

Right now I am reading up about Oracle SQL and Visual Basic.

And my non school reading is Jonah Goldberg's Liberal Fascism. Which is a very good read. It is very much the same material as Hayek's Road to Serfdom updated and localized to the US as opposed to Germany.

I just finished the chapter on Wilson. I had read about Wilson's shenanigans in Mencken's works, but I never got such a total appreciation for just what went on back then

I'm not sure if I'll pick it up or not. I was a big Clancy fan prior to his concentrateing on non-fiction. This is his first piece of fiction in how many years? Another reason I may skip it... Being an avid reader and having worked in the family bookstore for many years, I have grown relecutant to read many books bearing the name of a popular author at the top of the cover with the words "with So-and-So" in small print at the bottom. More often than not I have found the style is much different than the big name author's original works, and the story not as good. This leads me to believe that the book has been written by the lesser known author and the big name is on the cover to boost sales. Clive Cussler has done this, though not with his Dirk Pitt series (his son's name has popped up on the covers of the last couple of Pitt books, they sucked).

Anywho...

Dead or Alive, the jury is still out for me...

:lol: Thanks. I think I've read just about every espionage/black ops adventure from Coonts to Thor.

I mostly stopped reading Clancy when he branched out from the Ryan books. I read one or two of the Op-Centers, maybe one other non-Ryan book, and was not impressed.

That said, it's been a long enough time since I read a new book of his that I might give this one a shot.

Oh, and I've found that writing collaborations are often quite good. Some of my favorite authors have written books/series with other authors that I very much enjoyed.

I mostly stopped reading Clancy when he branched out from the Ryan books. I read one or two of the Op-Centers, maybe one other non-Ryan book, and was not impressed.

That said, it's been a long enough time since I read a new book of his that I might give this one a shot.

Oh, and I've found that writing collaborations are often quite good. Some of my favorite authors have written books/series with other authors that I very much enjoyed.

I figure he got the message. He's gone back to writing on Ryan... Dead or Alive has Jack Ryan Jnr as a main character. It's as good as the rest of the 'Ryan' books.

Forum List

Back