any linux users here?

blu

Sep 21, 2009
I have used linux for years now, I have switched between gentoo, slackware, and debian. Have done a bit of kernel programming and years of userland programming.

There are quite a few of us. ;)

I am a Java coder and I use Ubuntu, which I believe is the best of the distros. Others will disagree with that, but they won't get uppity like the few hardcore Windoze fanboys on here. Though lately I have gotten into Blender ... tried it in Windoze and it ran like crap, switched to Linux and it's awesome.

PS: Welcome to USMB.

I have installed ubuntu on machines before as well mostly because it 'just works' and the install time is so quick. I also run it in vmware (where I change hardware configs alot) and it picks up the changes without any issues.

I have used linux for years now, I have switched between gentoo, slackware, and debian. Have done a bit of kernel programming and years of userland programming.

I'm an old point and click windows user. Wishta was the kicker for me, Not including my wife's wishta machine I have two laptops, one with XP and one with Ubuntu and two desk tops, one Ubuntu and the other is dual boot XP/Ubuntu which I use the Ubuntu much more often now. Once I'm comfortable with Ubuntu/Linux I move all my units over to Ubuntu. I'll Probably load Mint 7 on one just to try it out.

I'm an old point and click windows user. Wishta was the kicker for me, Not including my wife's wishta machine I have two laptops, one with XP and one with Ubuntu and two desk tops, one Ubuntu and the other is dual boot XP/Ubuntu which I use the Ubuntu much more often now. Once I'm comfortable with Ubuntu/Linux I move all my units over to Ubuntu. I'll Probably load Mint 7 on one just to try it out.

That's the primary reason for the resistance from many users, but once they realize you can make the switch gradually they wind up learning a lot more about computers than they thought possible. Hopefully there will be more computer savvy users like you instead of simple point and clickers. ;)

I was rejected by Gentoo as being not smart enough to use it :D
Slackware I couldn't get a handle on.
Debian is great. I like Fedora but haven't used it since about 6, I did try 10 (I know 11 is out) but had problems with sound.

Now I'm using Ubuntu (Studio) Jaunty. Just waiting for Karmic to be ready.

any linux users here?

Ubuntu. I'm going to date myself, but I have been using Unix since 1980.

That is pretty awesome... Do you program or have you always stuck to sysadmin?

Sysadmin is just not me. I always wrote programs in College, mainly to help me solve physics problems. That helped me get a job in the physics department. I started with Fortran (of course) and now prefer C#. I like it better than C++ and Java.

That's the primary reason for the resistance from many users, but once they realize you can make the switch gradually they wind up learning a lot more about computers than they thought possible. Hopefully there will be more computer savvy users like you instead of simple point and clickers. ;)

That's the biggest challenge, most people don't like change and don't want to learn or don't know there are alternatives, they're happy being point and clickers. They have been raised on Mic and Mac don't really understand the simplicity and overall higher security of the Linux systems. Besides, I know IT security people who were trained by Microsoft instructors and their take is "never use open source, it's dangerous", that is what they tell everyone. When Ubuntu or any Linux based OS becomes as or more user friendly than Windows that is when a larger share of the user base will switch. In the mean time all we can do is advertise word of mouth, mainly to the younger crowd, but to be honest unless Microsoft pulls another Vista bomb I don't see that happening in the near future. Probably the fastest way is getting corporations on board by switching their servers to Linux/Ubuntu/Mint/etc. and configuring all work stations in essence forcing their employees to use the OS (after training of course). That will have to wait till the economy improves (for obvious reasons), while saving money in the long run there would be an initial outlay for down time, training, etc.
To truly get the word out some main stream advertising must be done. I bet if Ubuntu or anyone for that matter put together an advertising fund paid into by donations from individual and corporate users there could be a short term media blitz to get the word out to average people, many who may not like Windows, can't afford a Mac, and have no idea there are alternatives out there.

Microsoft remains third most valuable brand, Apple in top 20

Microsoft remains third most valuable brand, Apple in top 20 - Ars Technica

:lol:

No, PC's are the ones being purchased, Microsucks is just pre installed.

facts are facts. Take my bet.

The "facts" you have only show what they are sold with, and anyone with half a brain buys a computer based on the hard ware not the software, then they get home and install what they want instead of the pre-installed crap. There is no bet, for all we know the entire tech industry could tank tomorrow. Stocks are not a measure of what people use, especially considering no one makes a profit on Linux. Shogun, here's a clue, learn about computers before you spout of trash.

Microsoft remains third most valuable brand, Apple in top 20

Microsoft remains third most valuable brand, Apple in top 20 - Ars Technica

:lol:

Microsoft is just a marketing company that buys technology then resells us mediocrity. Be happy about that if you want to. The rest of us will just shake our heads and smirk at you :lol:

Microsoft is just a marketing company that buys technology then resells us mediocrity. Be happy about that if you want to. The rest of us will just shake our heads and smirk at you :lol:

you can smirk all you want from the lonely corner of your dusty closet, dude. The rest of us will be using MS products while you continue to trade your self esteem for self righteousness.

Perhaps you will have the balls to take my bet.... doubt it... but hey..

Forum List

Back