any linux users here?

I currently have Ubuntu on my desktop, a laptop and dual boot with Ubuntu primary on another laptop.

I do have one issue, maybe KK can help me through. I bought a Verizon wireless USB760 for wwan. It works fine with the Verizon VZAccess Manager in Windows, but for some reason Verizon didn't make one for Linux. Wine doesn't seem to be able to run it. I've some Ubuntu community threads, but mine seems to be a special case. Any thoughts?

No, PC's are the ones being purchased, Microsucks is just pre installed.

facts are facts. Take my bet.

The "facts" you have only show what they are sold with, and anyone with half a brain buys a computer based on the hard ware not the software, then they get home and install what they want instead of the pre-installed crap. There is no bet, for all we know the entire tech industry could tank tomorrow. Stocks are not a measure of what people use, especially considering no one makes a profit on Linux. Shogun, here's a clue, learn about computers before you spout of trash.

No, there is a bet: I bet you that neither ubuntu nor any apple os achieves a 2% market share. Your wishful thinking doesn't reflect facts. This isn't about stocks. THIS is about whose product does the most for more people; the concrete will of consumers responding to a superior product.

If you are so goddamn sure then take my bet. I bet you wont. By all means, cry about one of us not knowing about computers while you keep waffling and avoiding to put your user account where your ignorance is.

:thup:

I currently have Ubuntu on my desktop, a laptop and dual boot with Ubuntu primary on another laptop.

I do have one issue, maybe KK can help me through. I bought a Verizon wireless USB760 for wwan. It works fine with the Verizon VZAccess Manager in Windows, but for some reason Verizon didn't make one for Linux. Wine doesn't seem to be able to run it. I've some Ubuntu community threads, but mine seems to be a special case. Any thoughts?

There should be a standard driver in Ubuntu for it, since the protocols would be the same as any others, but messing with the internet connection manually can be a pain. Let me see if I can find anything on my channels really quick then I'll get back to you on that. The USB may be why your system isn't automatically recognizing it on it's own.

:rofl:

:eusa_whistle:

facts are facts. Take my bet.

Microsoft is just a marketing company that buys technology then resells us mediocrity. Be happy about that if you want to. The rest of us will just shake our heads and smirk at you :lol:

you can smirk all you want from the lonely corner of your dusty closet, dude. The rest of us will be using MS products while you continue to trade your self esteem for self righteousness.

Perhaps you will have the balls to take my bet.... doubt it... but hey..

Keep paying licensing fees.....:lol:

I use M$ when I need it, which isn't much or often. And would be even less if Verizon wasn't being pig headed. Corner of a dusty closet????? Try middle of a vibrant and growing community. M$ is yesterday. Don't look now but you're choking on the dust cloud of millions going a different direction.

I didn't see a bet proposal.

Microsoft is just a marketing company that buys technology then resells us mediocrity. Be happy about that if you want to. The rest of us will just shake our heads and smirk at you :lol:

you can smirk all you want from the lonely corner of your dusty closet, dude. The rest of us will be using MS products while you continue to trade your self esteem for self righteousness.

I use M$ when I need it, which isn't much or often. And would be even less if Verizon wasn't being pig headed. Corner of a dusty closet????? Try middle of a vibrant and growing community. M$ is yesterday. Don't look now but you're choking on the dust cloud of millions going a different direction.

I will. And, meanwhile, I won't ever have to scramble around begging people on forums for drivers which Verizon chose not to make.

vibrant less than 1% GROWING COMMUNTIY, eh? Sure... SUUUUUUURE. :thup:

Take my bet then, dude. In 6 months we both know that your "growing community" won't even achieve a 2% market share. But, i'll offer you the same chance to waffle that I offer Koder.

Been living with this for over a decade. While M$ is standing still or losing ground on these issues, Linux has been gaining in leaps and bounds in support. Verizon just seems to be a hold out. They are much fewer now than they used to be.

At least my Ubuntu always knows I have a touchpad and always knows I have a network, unlike the "competing" M$ product. Add-on functionality is one thing, but basic functionality is another.

I will. And, meanwhile, I won't ever have to scramble around begging people on forums for drivers which Verizon chose not to make.

Take my bet then, dude. In 6 months we both know that your "growing community" won't even achieve a 2% market share. But, i'll offer you the same chance to waffle that I offer Koder.

You're right. You never will have to scramble. You'll go to the cathedral of the Microsoft begging for your patch or your driver or a fix to your BSOD and they will give it to you or not. If not, then you get to just suffer with your broken app or OS until they decide to fix it (or maybe they won't). I'm getting that pearls before swine feeling......I think I'll stop.

You're M$ "person" never mind. I know when I'm beaten. You're in love with mediocrity. I get it.

Been living with this for over a decade. While M$ is standing still or losing ground on these issues, Linux has been gaining in leaps and bounds in support. Verizon just seems to be a hold out. They are much fewer now than they used to be.

At least my Ubuntu always knows I have a touchpad and always knows I have a network, unlike the "competing" M$ product. Add-on functionality is one thing, but basic functionality is another.

LOSING GROUND!

Then take my bet, stud. If the operating system which doesn't require you to beg for drivers on forums is "losing ground" then surely, SURELY you have the balls to bet ubuntu will achieve a 2% market share in 6 months. SURELY.

I mean, only a pussy would throw down the gauntlet like that and then balk at taking my bet. Say, you are not a giant pussy, are you?

hey, MS can't make a contingency every time some idiot linux fanboi looks for a reason to shit on their os. You see, making sure you have compatible drivers works for them a lot more than substituting your technical failures with cult garb does.

Here's all the info you will need on it, Sprint has released the 760 documentation: Sprint Software Downloads - Mobile Broadband Cards - Ovation™ U760 by Novatel Wireless

You'll need to enable scripts on nextel.com I think. The drivers were released and they should work on your system, if they are not configuring automatically it may be a simple detection error. Use the Novatel U760 information, they are the same hardware just different companies. ;) Hope that helps, if not go ahead and PM me and we'll see if we can't get it working for you.

You're right. You never will have to scramble. You'll go to the cathedral of the Microsoft begging for your patch or your driver or a fix to your BSOD and they will give it to you or not. If not, then you get to just suffer with your broken app or OS until they decide to fix it (or maybe they won't). I'm getting that pearls before swine feeling......I think I'll stop.

You're M$ "person" never mind. I know when I'm beaten. You're in love with mediocrity. I get it.

This is what COMPATIBILITY looks like, buddy. deal with it.

:lol:

Indeed, 97% of the market can't be wrong. We don't have broken os's. thats just a stupid thing to say.

come on, puss... TAKE MY BET. DONT CRY FROM THE CORNER AND FLING POO. It's ok, lil guy.. in 6 months, WHEN UBUNTU IS STILL A FUCKING MARKET PUNCHLINE, you'll still be able to get drivers from MS.

There should be a standard driver in Ubuntu for it, since the protocols would be the same as any others, but messing with the internet connection manually can be a pain. Let me see if I can find anything on my channels really quick then I'll get back to you on that. The USB may be why your system isn't automatically recognizing it on it's own.

It's a multifunction device. It recognizes the USB storage part of it, but Network Manager doesn't recognize the modem part of it. I've tested it enough to find out that I can manually dial out and get connected. So, it's really the interface with Network Manager that needs some assistance. I've tried manually inputting the info in the Wireless BB section but Network Manager doesn't show up as an option to connect.

Thanks for your help.

Indeed, 97% of the market can't be wrong. We don't have broken os's. thats just a stupid thing to say.

come on, puss... TAKE MY BET. DONT CRY FROM THE CORNER AND FLING POO. It's ok, lil guy.. in 6 months, WHEN UBUNTU IS STILL A FUCKING MARKET PUNCHLINE, you'll still be able to get drivers from MS.

Then why isn't a Dell Latitude touchpad compatible with M$? Why isn't my network adapter compatible with M$. Actually, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. It's like spinning a roulette wheel. I don't need my OS to be a guessing game.

So, yes I'm have a problem getting this ONE ancillary device to work. But here's what I know about Linux, once it works, it will work forever, without exception. You can't say that without lying.

I'm neither interested in M$ market share or the market share of any other OS. You shouldn't be confused by the ability of Microsoft to sell Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt and think that equals a good product. I've watched M$ beat out companies with FAR FAR superior products just on marketing BS. The problem is they can never beat Linux, because there is no one to beat, no company to crush nobody they can buy. They can buy into it, but they can't make it stop. It's their worst fucking nightmare. Go ask Steve Ballmer what keeps him up at night. There's only one thing.

Perhaps you don't remember the great MS crash for XP ... :eusa_whistle:

Linux is compatible with almost everything now, even more than Windoze is by far. Even Apple hardware works better on Linux than Windoze ... like those new phones, iPods, etc..

Are you a "Micro hack"? It wouldn't surprise considering your dismissive and derogatory attacks.

It's a multifunction device. It recognizes the USB storage part of it, but Network Manager doesn't recognize the modem part of it. I've tested it enough to find out that I can manually dial out and get connected. So, it's really the interface with Network Manager that needs some assistance. I've tried manually inputting the info in the Wireless BB section but Network Manager doesn't show up as an option to connect.

Thanks for your help.

Aah. Verizon is still under a MS contract, so they can't release the drivers to Open Source themselves yet, but Sprint is no longer under such a contract and has done that. Do you have a way to upgrade to 9.10? If so that fixes the problem automatically now. If the system upgrade isn't shown at the top of your update manager then go into System>Administration>Software Sources, the Updates tab, at the bottom make sure it says "Normal releases" ... once you close that your manager should show the whole system upgrade, if you have 8.04 you will need to go to 8.10 first, then 9.10 should show up.

Then why isn't a Dell Latitude touchpad compatible with M$? Why isn't my network adapter compatible with M$. Actually, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. It's like spinning a roulette wheel. I don't need my OS to be a guessing game.

So, yes I'm have a problem getting this ONE ancillary device to work. But here's what I know about Linux, once it works, it will work forever, without exception. You can't say that without lying.

I'm neither interested in M$ market share or the market share of any other OS. You shouldn't be confused by the ability of Microsoft to sell Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt and think that equals a good product. I've watched M$ beat out companies with FAR FAR superior products just on marketing BS. The problem is they can never beat Linux, because there is no one to beat, no company to crush nobody they can buy. They can buy into it, but they can't make it stop. It's their worst fucking nightmare. Go ask Steve Ballmer what keeps him up at night. There's only one thing.

97% of the market isn't a lie. Neither is, apparently, your frustration with finding drivers to use with linux. TOUGH LUCK!

yea, it sure is FEAR that makes users enjoy compatibility! :rofl:

:thup:

6 months, dude.. don't be a pussy. come on. take my bet! I bet you wont!

:eusa_angel:

Perhaps you don't remember the great MS crash for XP ... :eusa_whistle:

Linux is compatible with almost everything now, even more than Windoze is by far. Even Apple hardware works better on Linux than Windoze ... like those new phones, iPods, etc..

yea, I'd champion a company that rakes in most of their income from CELL PHONES too!

but, it's fucking hilarious to see you claim ubuntu has more compatibility than MS in a thread where you find yourself having to go dig up a driver for a linux user.

Went with Verizon a little while back but at the time I was running XP. Loaded the latest Ubuntu and no problems, sorry I can't help.
On a side note Verizon screwed me, promised me $99/month (phone/tV/internet) for one year but it was over the phone and I did not get a contract stating that. I'm currently paying $150 for all three and I will be switching back to Comcast. Verizon has permanently lost a customer.

Forum List

Back