any linux users here?

You're right. You never will have to scramble. You'll go to the cathedral of the Microsoft begging for your patch or your driver or a fix to your BSOD and they will give it to you or not. If not, then you get to just suffer with your broken app or OS until they decide to fix it (or maybe they won't). I'm getting that pearls before swine feeling......I think I'll stop.

You're M$ "person" never mind. I know when I'm beaten. You're in love with mediocrity. I get it.

This is what COMPATIBILITY looks like, buddy. deal with it.

:lol:

Indeed, 97% of the market can't be wrong. We don't have broken os's. thats just a stupid thing to say.

come on, puss... TAKE MY BET. DONT CRY FROM THE CORNER AND FLING POO. It's ok, lil guy.. in 6 months, WHEN UBUNTU IS STILL A FUCKING MARKET PUNCHLINE, you'll still be able to get drivers from MS.

:rofl:

Are you a "Micro hack"? It wouldn't surprise considering your dismissive and derogatory attacks.

poor guy. go cry on Justin Long's shoulder. You people will still be doomsaying the downfall of MS in 6 months while your own OS will still be a laughable 1% (if that).

you people crack me up.

There should be a standard driver in Ubuntu for it, since the protocols would be the same as any others, but messing with the internet connection manually can be a pain. Let me see if I can find anything on my channels really quick then I'll get back to you on that. The USB may be why your system isn't automatically recognizing it on it's own.

It's a multifunction device. It recognizes the USB storage part of it, but Network Manager doesn't recognize the modem part of it. I've tested it enough to find out that I can manually dial out and get connected. So, it's really the interface with Network Manager that needs some assistance. I've tried manually inputting the info in the Wireless BB section but Network Manager doesn't show up as an option to connect.

Thanks for your help.

Aah. Verizon is still under a MS contract, so they can't release the drivers to Open Source themselves yet, but Sprint is no longer under such a contract and has done that. Do you have a way to upgrade to 9.10? If so that fixes the problem automatically now. If the system upgrade isn't shown at the top of your update manager then go into System>Administration>Software Sources, the Updates tab, at the bottom make sure it says "Normal releases" ... once you close that your manager should show the whole system upgrade, if you have 8.04 you will need to go to 8.10 first, then 9.10 should show up.

:thup:

:eusa_angel:

There should be a standard driver in Ubuntu for it, since the protocols would be the same as any others, but messing with the internet connection manually can be a pain. Let me see if I can find anything on my channels really quick then I'll get back to you on that. The USB may be why your system isn't automatically recognizing it on it's own.

It's a multifunction device. It recognizes the USB storage part of it, but Network Manager doesn't recognize the modem part of it. I've tested it enough to find out that I can manually dial out and get connected. So, it's really the interface with Network Manager that needs some assistance. I've tried manually inputting the info in the Wireless BB section but Network Manager doesn't show up as an option to connect.

Thanks for your help.

Aah. Verizon is still under a MS contract, so they can't release the drivers to Open Source themselves yet, but Sprint is no longer under such a contract and has done that. Do you have a way to upgrade to 9.10? If so that fixes the problem automatically now. If the system upgrade isn't shown at the top of your update manager then go into System>Administration>Software Sources, the Updates tab, at the bottom make sure it says "Normal releases" ... once you close that your manager should show the whole system upgrade, if you have 8.04 you will need to go to 8.10 first, then 9.10 should show up.

Cool, thanks. So, I just need to go from Jaunty to Karmic. Let me try it......brb.

This is what COMPATIBILITY looks like, buddy. deal with it.

Indeed, 97% of the market can't be wrong. We don't have broken os's. thats just a stupid thing to say.

come on, puss... TAKE MY BET. DONT CRY FROM THE CORNER AND FLING POO. It's ok, lil guy.. in 6 months, WHEN UBUNTU IS STILL A FUCKING MARKET PUNCHLINE, you'll still be able to get drivers from MS.

Then why isn't a Dell Latitude touchpad compatible with M$? Why isn't my network adapter compatible with M$. Actually, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. It's like spinning a roulette wheel. I don't need my OS to be a guessing game.

So, yes I'm have a problem getting this ONE ancillary device to work. But here's what I know about Linux, once it works, it will work forever, without exception. You can't say that without lying.

I'm neither interested in M$ market share or the market share of any other OS. You shouldn't be confused by the ability of Microsoft to sell Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt and think that equals a good product. I've watched M$ beat out companies with FAR FAR superior products just on marketing BS. The problem is they can never beat Linux, because there is no one to beat, no company to crush nobody they can buy. They can buy into it, but they can't make it stop. It's their worst fucking nightmare. Go ask Steve Ballmer what keeps him up at night. There's only one thing.

97% of the market isn't a lie. Neither is, apparently, your frustration with finding drivers to use with linux. TOUGH LUCK!

yea, it sure is FEAR that makes users enjoy compatibility! :rofl:

6 months, dude.. don't be a pussy. come on. take my bet! I bet you wont!

Each of your posts here betrays how much of an idiot one can be when it comes to computers. Again, the "facts" you present are only the systems with preinstalled MS crap, which the businesses are paid to preinstall by MS itself in hopes that people won't be brave enough to install Linux in place, it does not show how many people are taking the PC's home and installing Ubuntu or some other Linux (or even Unix or on the rare occasion MacOS) in place of Windoze. The fact that you fail to see, or even acknowledge this, betrays your blindness and lack of research. Thanks for playing Microbutt boy, but you fail. Even on here there are about as many Linux users as any other OS.

I currently have Ubuntu on my desktop, a laptop and dual boot with Ubuntu primary on another laptop.

I do have one issue, maybe KK can help me through. I bought a Verizon wireless USB760 for wwan. It works fine with the Verizon VZAccess Manager in Windows, but for some reason Verizon didn't make one for Linux. Wine doesn't seem to be able to run it. I've some Ubuntu community threads, but mine seems to be a special case. Any thoughts?

Went with Verizon a little while back but at the time I was running XP. Loaded the latest Ubuntu and no problems, sorry I can't help.
On a side note Verizon screwed me, promised me $99/month (phone/tV/internet) for one year but it was over the phone and I did not get a contract stating that. I'm currently paying $150 for all three and I will be switching back to Comcast. Verizon has permanently lost a customer.

I only have Verizon for cell service crackberry and air card. I used to have Digital Comcast with Showtime and internet. I recently upgraded to their phone/Internet/cable and got every channel, HD, DVR for $10 less per month than I was paying.

Thanks for your help.

Cool, thanks. So, I just need to go from Jaunty to Karmic. Let me try it......brb.

That's the feedback, since they released 9.04 they stopped upgrading some software that depends on it's libraries. However, the chats are a bit slow today so I am not getting any feedback on how to do it without the upgrade though I'm sure there is a way. I did find out one thing, Verizon is boosting their Linux support in spite of the contracts, they just aren't doing it officially yet. That's one more company swinging to the freedom of Open Source.

I currently have Ubuntu on my desktop, a laptop and dual boot with Ubuntu primary on another laptop.

I do have one issue, maybe KK can help me through. I bought a Verizon wireless USB760 for wwan. It works fine with the Verizon VZAccess Manager in Windows, but for some reason Verizon didn't make one for Linux. Wine doesn't seem to be able to run it. I've some Ubuntu community threads, but mine seems to be a special case. Any thoughts?

Went with Verizon a little while back but at the time I was running XP. Loaded the latest Ubuntu and no problems, sorry I can't help.
On a side note Verizon screwed me, promised me $99/month (phone/tV/internet) for one year but it was over the phone and I did not get a contract stating that. I'm currently paying $150 for all three and I will be switching back to Comcast. Verizon has permanently lost a customer.

I have the same problem with Qwest, they tacked on a bunch of extra fees and shit for Windoze Live support even if you don't use Windoze. Thinking of seeing if I can sue them and Microsucks for that, doubt it, but meh, it's worth a try at this point.

Then why isn't a Dell Latitude touchpad compatible with M$? Why isn't my network adapter compatible with M$. Actually, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. It's like spinning a roulette wheel. I don't need my OS to be a guessing game.

So, yes I'm have a problem getting this ONE ancillary device to work. But here's what I know about Linux, once it works, it will work forever, without exception. You can't say that without lying.

I'm neither interested in M$ market share or the market share of any other OS. You shouldn't be confused by the ability of Microsoft to sell Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt and think that equals a good product. I've watched M$ beat out companies with FAR FAR superior products just on marketing BS. The problem is they can never beat Linux, because there is no one to beat, no company to crush nobody they can buy. They can buy into it, but they can't make it stop. It's their worst fucking nightmare. Go ask Steve Ballmer what keeps him up at night. There's only one thing.

97% of the market isn't a lie. Neither is, apparently, your frustration with finding drivers to use with linux. TOUGH LUCK!

Each of your posts here betrays how much of an idiot one can be when it comes to computers. Again, the "facts" you present are only the systems with preinstalled MS crap, which the businesses are paid to preinstall by MS itself in hopes that people won't be brave enough to install Linux in place, it does not show how many people are taking the PC's home and installing Ubuntu or some other Linux (or even Unix or on the rare occasion MacOS) in place of Windoze. The fact that you fail to see, or even acknowledge this, betrays your blindness and lack of research. Thanks for playing Microbutt boy, but you fail. Even on here there are about as many Linux users as any other OS.

You sure do claim to be an expert a lot. Especially when you find yourself unable to deal with the numeric FACT of the absolute dominance of the MS os. Seriously, end users don't go home and format their brand new machines just so they can fuck with the linux du jour and pretend to be giant hax0rs. People like you are not reflective of the rest of the globes computer users who have found compatibility in an Ms product. You can ASSume as much.. but, as with market stats, you have no real evidence of such outside of a laughable defense mechanism.

But, by all means.. if you have evidence that users take their spiffy new machines home and install ubuntu lets see your link...

I bet you wont post one.

That's the feedback, since they released 9.04 they stopped upgrading some software that depends on it's libraries. However, the chats are a bit slow today so I am not getting any feedback on how to do it without the upgrade though I'm sure there is a way. I did find out one thing, Verizon is boosting their Linux support in spite of the contracts, they just aren't doing it officially yet. That's one more company swinging to the freedom of Open Source.

...then take my 6 month bet.... don't be scerred!

You sure do claim to be an expert a lot. Especially when you find yourself unable to deal with the numeric FACT of the absolute dominance of the MS os. Seriously, end users don't go home and format their brand new machines just so they can fuck with the linux du jour and pretend to be giant hax0rs. People like you are not reflective of the rest of the globes computer users who have found compatibility in an Ms product. You can ASSume as much.. but, as with market stats, you have no real evidence of such outside of a laughable defense mechanism.

But, by all means.. if you have evidence that users take their spiffy new machines home and install ubuntu lets see your link...

I bet you wont post one.

1,000 more each year, with an increase in that trend for the last few years. We've shown this to you several times already, but you ignored it ... just like now we will ignore all your sources. ;)

Want to know something funny, I got a generic MP3 player from the store, back when I was still running XP on my laptop, plugged it in and had to install a bunch of drivers just to access it. In Ubuntu it didn't even need anything, it just opened right up as a mass storage device ... how's that for compatibility?

I bet you wont post one.

1,000 more each year, with an increase in that trend for the last few years. We've shown this to you several times already, but you ignored it ... just like now we will ignore all your sources. ;)

1k vs MILLIONS.

profound. Come on, koder.. if you are so goddamn confident then TAKE THE BET.

but, again, you wont, will you.

Want to know something funny, I got a generic MP3 player from the store, back when I was still running XP on my laptop, plugged it in and had to install a bunch of drivers just to access it. In Ubuntu it didn't even need anything, it just opened right up as a mass storage device ... how's that for compatibility?

lucky, is what it is. Come on, koder... take the bet.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoYL4R3Te2s&feature=related]YouTube - Desktop Linux Sucks, And What We Can Do About It[/ame]

I bet you wont post one.

1k vs MILLIONS.

1. Gambling is illegal.

2. You can't measure market shares accurately for Open Source, again you will ignore this fact.

3. 1,000 more per year ... that means that there are a thousand more people switching to Linux every year, and that's only for PC's, it does not include the number of Apple computer fans switching (it installs just as well on Macs) nor does it include the millions of servers that run Linux. Every website you go to is Linux or Unix, not Microsucks, except the US government sites (all other governments are switching to Linux now or are running Unix).

1k vs MILLIONS.

1. Gambling is illegal.

2. You can't measure market shares accurately for Open Source, again you will ignore this fact.

3. 1,000 more per year ... that means that there are a thousand more people switching to Linux every year, and that's only for PC's, it does not include the number of Apple computer fans switching (it installs just as well on Macs) nor does it include the millions of servers that run Linux. Every website you go to is Linux or Unix, not Microsucks, except the US government sites (all other governments are switching to Linux now or are running Unix).

gambling isn't illegal. Stop being a giant pussy. If you are so goddamn confident then lets see you put your 1k/year against the MILLIONS that will be busy using Win7 in a couple months.

Face it. You lose now and you lose in 6 months. Guess what? One year from now your favorite os will still be a laughing stock. 3 years from now the same. 5 years from now not one single linux distro will crack 2% of the national os market. This is the same fact you found yourself having to deal with when pretending that apple is a significant threat to MS. It's not. bottom line. No amount of expert wannabe bullshit will make this less of a fact.

I bet you wont post one.

I just did it to two of them. But, don't like facts that you asked for stop you....drivel on!

What do you get out of M$ having market share. Seems like a silly thing to be happy about. I'll bet you Conoco doesn't beat Exxon Mobile in market share in the next 6 months.

Keep wishing Conoco will do all that DOUCHE!!!

See, it just sounds stupid. Doesn't it?

1k vs MILLIONS.

1. Gambling is illegal.

gambling isn't illegal. Stop being a giant pussy. If you are so goddamn confident then lets see you put your 1k/year against the MILLIONS that will be busy using Win7 in a couple months.

Face it. You lose now and you lose in 6 months. Guess what? One year from now your favorite os will still be a laughing stock. 3 years from now the same. 5 years from now not one single linux distro will crack 2% of the national os market. This is the same fact you found yourself having to deal with when pretending that apple is a significant threat to MS. It's not. bottom line. No amount of expert wannabe bullshit will make this less of a fact.

Windoze 7 has been delayed twice already ... and in spite of Windoze being pre installed on machines many people are installing Ubuntu with almost no hassle, installing anything new requires a little tweaking no matter what it is, even a video game, but Ubuntu has a huge support community and we don't require a lot of money to help ... no, we do it for free, thanks to all the Linux/Unix running servers that form the internet we can easily do this. Contact MS, see how helpful they are when you ask how to hook up an iPod ...

Also, yes, gambling is illegal in many states, mine included, except on the indian res.

What do you get out of M$ having market share. Seems like a silly thing to be happy about. I'll bet you Conoco doesn't beat Exxon Mobile in market share in the next 6 months.

Keep wishing Conoco will do all that DOUCHE!!!

See, it just sounds stupid. Doesn't it?

yea... what on EARTH would the direct, numeric evidence of user market share benefit anyone in a capitalistic society??

conoco and exxon mobile pumps the same gas. Clearly, by your own driver conundrum, ubuntu and MS are not even remotely similar in operation. Hell, either would certainly go out of business if their gas was as INCOMPATIBLE as ubuntu seems to be.

See you in 6 months, lil guy. You'll still be looking up at MS from your lil hole then as you are now.

I bet you wont post one.

I just did it to two of them. But, don't like facts that you asked for stop you....drivel on!

by all means.. provide evidence that you are the rule and not the exception..

[Insert Evidence Here]

Forum List

Back