any programmers here?

blu

Sep 21, 2009
I thought I would start this after one of the moderators commented on programming in Java. I had to learn Java during my CS undergrad, but haven't used it since those early courses.

My favorite language now is python where applicable, and in the past have coded thousands of lines of C and x86 assembly. My favorite coding projects are my hobby OS (mostly dead hobby now) and my raw sockets network tools I wrote.

I also still know Perl and Php, but only use them when I have to.

I thought I would start this after one of the moderators commented on programming in Java. I had to learn Java during my CS undergrad, but haven't used it since those early courses.

My favorite language now is python where applicable, and in the past have coded thousands of lines of C and x86 assembly. My favorite coding projects are my hobby OS (mostly dead hobby now) and my raw sockets network tools I wrote.

I also still know Perl and Php, but only use them when I have to.

Python isn't technically a programming language, it's a scripting language, same with PHP. C is annoying because it has to be for a specific platform, which is why I switched to Java. Java is simple and easy and cross platformed like Python and even Perl (to some extent). Of the common ones the only one I don't have much experience with is Flash now, which I may delve into soon if my new hobby doesn't completely over come my free time.

Shameless Self Promotion (sorry): YouTube - KittenKoder's Channel

I prefer ASM even today, but it's slow in developing now so I am rusty as hell. However since Apple announced they will now support Linux/Unix software I may pick C++ back up again.

Python isn't technically a programming language, it's a scripting language, same with PHP. C is annoying because it has to be for a specific platform, which is why I switched to Java. Java is simple and easy and cross platformed like Python and even Perl (to some extent). Of the common ones the only one I don't have much experience with is Flash now, which I may delve into soon if my new hobby doesn't completely over come my free time.

nice youtube videos! I haven't done much graphics programming at that level, but I have done opengl, and hope to finish going through the physics engine book I have which uses opengl to render all the objects.

Also, I don't write full programs in ASM really anymore, but I do have to do reverse engineering for my job so I am around it enough

nice youtube videos! I haven't done much graphics programming at that level, but I have done opengl, and hope to finish going through the physics engine book I have which uses opengl to render all the objects.

Also, I don't write full programs in ASM really anymore, but I do have to do reverse engineering for my job so I am around it enough

I learned ASM when I was in sixth grade, all by books and experimenting on an old Apple IIe. Graduated to IBM's when I was in seventh. On the Apple it was the best programming language, but confusing, the memory itself was interlaced, at the time it was the fastest way to dump the binary onto the screen (monochrome of course). We have gone a long way since then. Anyhow, I have always avoided graphics until I played with Blender, which I did just to make an avatar for here strangely. Now I am almost good enough to program a game in 3D, which may happen after I play with Flash since everyone runs Flash well but Windoze keeps pushing a failed version of Java on their users. Everytime I write a Java applet I have to find a Windoze machine to test it because it never runs right without some tweaking unless the user is smart enough to reinstall Java from Sun everytime they get a service pack.

OpenGL is nice, but it's fallen behind for 3D, Irrlicht is best if you are developing a full program now, Blender makes a 3D engine for their models, but I can convert them to almost any other format so I can use them in Flash. Graphics are a pain unless you use Gimp or a decent vector image program, or have the patience to learn 3D modeling. I am best at coding databases, from scratch, or if I cannibalize graphics I am a decent game programmer. The problem with games though is that there are too many, and my work is setting up networks for small business (freelancer). I could work more than I do, but then I'd have to pay more taxes, lose my housing (working while homeless was impossible), but all my clients are very happy with my work. I also help check for errors on websites for them.

Forum List

Back