ANTIFA group at UT - Austin proposes "Law Enforcement Incineration Day"

Free speech is free speech, and mindless emotional outrage is mindless emotional outrage.
Free speech does not include violent threats, tough guy
Correct

And my example is a fair one

If a student group was advocating for hanging black people, they would be hunted down and charged with a hate crime.

Why is this different and where is the outrage?

When will CNN and MSNBC demand action on this?

:lol:

When will you guys stop being so damn butthurt?

I can find a hundred posts on this messageboard that advocate killing black people, muslims, and basically any other group.

Do you think that Steve McGarrett should go to prison? Or only the people who offend you personally with their free speech?

But then again, I'm not surprised that you don't understand the First Amendment
I understand the 1st amendment

The same actions are treated differently based on who said something and what was said

Care to comment on that?

:lol::lol:

God, you guys are a bunch of whiny little snowflakes.

yeah advocating killing police with fire is exactally the same as getting offended over the use of a racial epithet....or talking about a groups diet

Free speech is free speech, and mindless emotional outrage is mindless emotional outrage.
True Threats and the Limits of First Amendment Protection

Class dismissed

Did you actually bother to read your link?

I don't think so, because it doesn't say what you think it does. A sign with a picture of a cop on fire is not a "true threat".

But then again, I'm not surprised that you don't understand the First Amendment.
This thread isn't about a sign.

Anymore spin in your pocket?

Then what is it about, exactly?

But then again, I'm not surprised that you don't understand the First Amendment
I understand the 1st amendment

The same actions are treated differently based on who said something and what was said

Care to comment on that?

No, they actually aren't.

There's a legal test for incitement or threats - and it's applied to both sides. This doesn't meet the threshold.

You're just butthurt. That's all this thread is about.

yeah advocating killing police with fire is exactally the same as getting offended over the use of a racial epithet....or talking about a groups diet

Class dismissed

I don't think so, because it doesn't say what you think it does. A sign with a picture of a cop on fire is not a "true threat".

But then again, I'm not surprised that you don't understand the First Amendment.

The tweet – sent out by the Autonomous Student Network (ASN) at UT-Austin – states “Instead of #LawEnforcementAppreciationDay how about #LawEnforcementIncinerationDay”

Class dismissed

The tweet – sent out by the Autonomous Student Network (ASN) at UT-Austin – states “Instead of #LawEnforcementAppreciationDay how about #LawEnforcementIncinerationDay”

Do you think that meets the threshold of a "true threat", according to your link?

Do you think that the tweet is a "statement in which a speaker expresses a “serious” intent “to commit an act of unlawful violence to a particular individual or group of individuals”?

I can find a hundred posts on this messageboard that advocate killing black people, muslims, and basically any other group
An anonymous individual on a message forum =/= a student group at a public university

also, if the threat made on this, or any other forum, was credible and serious enough it would be reported, wouldn't it?

Oh and one of the crimes I was convicted of and served time for was terroristic threats & intimidation.

So for you to suggest I do not have an understanding of the limits of free speech shows how clueless you are.

I can find a hundred posts on this messageboard that advocate killing black people, muslims, and basically any other group
An anonymous individual on a message forum =/= a student group at a public university

also, if the threat made on this, or any other forum, was credible and serious enough it would be reported, wouldn't it?

You don't seem to understand what a "threat" is.

The tweet in the OP is not one.

And no - there's no legal difference between posting on a message board, and posting on twitter.

Do you think that meets the threshold of a "true threat", according to your link?

Do you think that the tweet is a "statement in which a speaker expresses a “serious” intent “to commit an act of unlawful violence to a particular individual or group of individuals”?
Intent is not required for conviction

Do you think that meets the threshold of a "true threat", according to your know for link?
I don't know for sure, but I believe the threshold is "credible threat"

Police officers have actually been targeted recently in TX

It most certainly is. Read you own damn link.

I can threaten anyone with violence and be IMMEDIATELY arrested regardless of my intent.

You're not to bright.

Do you think that meets the threshold of a "true threat", according to your know for link?

The threshold is intent - the legal difference between free speech and threatening or inciting speech is called the "Brandenburg test". It requires 2 elements to be proven - 1st, that there is serious intent on the part of the speaker for the crime to take place, and 2nd, that there is a credible belief that the violence will occur eminently.

This tweet meets neither of those elements.

Oh and one of the crimes I was convicted of and served time for was terroristic threats & intimidation.

So for you to suggest I do not have an understanding of the limits of free speech shows how clueless you are.

Were you arrested for tweeting?
Irrelevant. That is nothing more than proof of the threat as well as the stupidity of the author.

I can threaten anyone with violence and be IMMEDIATELY arrested regardless of my intent.

You're not to bright.

Earlier in this thread, Tank and deltex both threatened violence against these students.

Do you think they're going to be arrested?

There's a legal test for incitement or threats - and it's applied to both sides

i4clgVm.gif

The threshold is intent - the legal difference between free speech and threatening or inciting speech is called the "Brandenburg test". It requires 2 elements to be proven - 1st, that there is serious intent on the part of the speaker for the crime to take place, and 2nd, that there is a credible belief that the violence will occur eminently.

This tweet meets neither of those elements.
More nonsense. Inciting violence is a crime. It is up to the discretion of local municipalities if they wish to charge or not.
With our over crowded criminal system MANY criminal statute violations are simply ignored.

Forum List

Back