Annoying Mouse Stutter

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
My USMB friends, I am having the most annoying little issue that is about to make me take this mouse along with the others I have in the box here and use them for targets. Let me explain, my mouse stutters when I move it across the screen, now while for some this might be ok, it's an annoying little trait that it has developed. I have tried just about everything possible I know of, including unloading every driver that might interfere with it short of reloading Windows 7 which is the last resort. I am about to conclude that the Mouse itself might be the issue, if anyone has had the same issue feel free to chime in.

Running Win7 64bit
Logitech MX Mouse

Laughs well actually funny you should mention that, I am running MINT although I am running it VM and love it too. However having unloaded all that for the moment just to see if the stutter will leave, which it didn't I can safely say that VM Workstation was not the issue.

I'm assuming you looked for and loaded the latest/greatest drivers....... which could be the issue..... or it could be the mouse itself is defective.... or something in the latest Microsoft update is interfering with the mouse action..... related to the last, install the most recent BIOs in case the issue lies in the update and an older BIOs setting.

Are you using an "aftermarket" theme?
That is probably it if you do.
Try changing your mouse theme to minimal setting and see what happens

couple of things, I have updated to the latest driver for the Mouse however, when it comes to the BIOS I just did that and the stutter seems to still be there. So what I am going to do next is try and take the computer back to a date prior to the latest update from MS and see if one of their updates might have caused the issue. As for the theme, about the only theme on this computer is a picture of my old aircraft in the background and thats it. I did have at one time a screensaver that my daughter had put on here but I took that off too. Thanks for the hints I am going to give those a try and keep you posted.

220px-Moose_superior.jpg

th th th th that's all folks!

(Stuttering moose. Get it?)

couple of things, I have updated to the latest driver for the Mouse however, when it comes to the BIOS I just did that and the stutter seems to still be there. So what I am going to do next is try and take the computer back to a date prior to the latest update from MS and see if one of their updates might have caused the issue. As for the theme, about the only theme on this computer is a picture of my old aircraft in the background and thats it. I did have at one time a screensaver that my daughter had put on here but I took that off too. Thanks for the hints I am going to give those a try and keep you posted.

If the roll back doesn't work then it's either a faulty bit of code that doesn't play well with Win 7 (I assume that's what you're running) or the mouse itself is the issue. Good luck

Just thought of something else, an issue I had with an optical mouse years ago. Is your mouse pad solid color or does it have an image/lettering on it? If it has an image/lettering then switch to a solid color and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

If the roll back doesn't work then it's either a faulty bit of code that doesn't play well with Win 7 (I assume that's what you're running) or the mouse itself is the issue. Good luck

Just thought of something else, an issue I had with an optical mouse years ago. Is your mouse pad solid color or does it have an image/lettering on it? If it has an image/lettering then switch to a solid color and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

Well the Mouse is a Logitech MX Mouse and I have a an aluminum mouse pad with a solid black surface, however I have tried other surfaces and it does change slightly. Heres and interesting bit of news, if you start the computer in Safe Mode.. no stutter.

Well the Mouse is a Logitech MX Mouse and I have a an aluminum mouse pad with a solid black surface, however I have tried other surfaces and it does change slightly. Heres and interesting bit of news, if you start the computer in Safe Mode.. no stutter.

It is the Logitech software.

Loading in Safe Mode = No Logitech software only standard mouse drivers from Microsoft.

I would wager that if you remove the Logitech software and drivers that the stutter goes away.

Mouse issues are 99.9% of the time non Windows OS related.

Last edited:

It is the Logitech software.

Loading in Safe Mode = No Logitech software only standard mouse drivers from Microsoft.

I would wager that if you remove the Logitech software and drivers that the stutter goes away.

Mouse issues are 99.9% of the time non Windows OS related.

Probably more like 99.999% of the time.
I have seen this problem numerous times...this and mouse "chatter" - when the icon blinks like a strobe light..or disappears altogether when running across an open window. For me it has always been:

1) The driver
2) A theme downloaded from the Internet that just has sloppy code in it.

Given that I'd go with Pete and iamwhat on this one, use the Windows driver for it. One other thing you could try before that is adjust the mouse sensitivity, it's a shot in the dark but it couldn't hurt.

Okay I unloaded the driver and ran with just the Windows Mouse driver and still the stutter, so on the off chance that something random might have been causing the issue, there was a driver called Brother Control Center 3 and it seems that when deleted that driver "viola" no stutter. Now I can't figure that one out for the life of me, LOL. I then reloaded the latest version of the Logitech driver and it still seems to be working fine, however I have not loaded the Brother Driver yet. So will keep you all updated.

I assume you've eliminated all unnecessary background processes, stopped all those annoying unneeded services and countless scheduled and triggered things that don't really need to run or happen, and disconnected any unnecessary devices? Also check your system power management features, insure your processor(s) are allowed to run at max if necessary.

Any kind of hesitation like that is easily identifiable with a good process monitoring and tracing tool.

First, the mouse pad while aluminum has a black surface and is built specifically for design wok. The MX mouse itself is not a track ball or roller ball mouse. It is a optical mouse designed specifically to work on just about any surface.

inA to be honest, I have eliminated just about everyone of them except the kitchen sink *laughs* . However, I will be the first to admit I don't have a good tool for monitoring processes, other than the good old Windows standby. I'm always willing to accept any recommendations. As for my computer itself I am using a Dell XPS 8300 with a Core i7 processor, and 16gb of Ram I have unplugged every device from every USB port other than the mouse transmitter itself and the keyboard.

I'll go find a link to some free tools, those I use, but in the meantime have you booted in safe-mode to eliminate hardware issue? If mouse still goofy in safe-mode, I'd check hardware first (swap mouse and type).

Done that works perfectly in Safe Mode and as I mentioned earlier it seems to have something to do with the way the Brother Printer Driver and the mouse are working together. The interesting thing is, this just started happening, so it leads me to believe that the system downloaded and update along the line that is causing this. I did just so you know run several different virus scans just to eliminate that as a cause as well.

the Brother Printer Driver . . .

Oh. Where did you get that driver from? Brother might make okay printers, but their drivers suck. In most cases best to use original that came on disc with printer, and remove all that junk they install that you will unlikely need (faxing, auto-update, etc.). Never use drivers from those free driver sites, they are always malicious - ALWAYS.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back