Andrew INDIAN KILLER Jackson

The Trail of Tears occured after Jackson was no longer President. If you really study the history and the man you will see that he was a hardened product of his time and a stubborn man but that he also expressed a warrior's respect for them on many occasions. You also need to understand the times to understand how his populist approach played in opposition to a then much more influential Congress to the effect of democratizing the political life of the country greatly relative to the years before he became a national figure due to his success in the Battle of New Orleans.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Well, he had a nice house. If you ever get to Nashville go by and visit:

Visit | The Hermitage

Jackson played guitar and the driveway is shaped like a guitar!

And while you are there check out the Belle Meade Mansion:

Welcome to the Belle Meade Plantation Website

And the Parthenon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenon_(Nashville)

Yeah, missing Nashville, this week.

I have been to his house and you're right. It's a great place to visit. Shortly before I visited it a tornado destroyed a lot of the beautiful old oak trees around his house. Gibson, the guitar makers, used some of the wood from those trees to make some limited edition guitars and they were on display in Nashville. They too were beautiful.

Not a real student of history, are ya?

I am history professor at the university level. I agree with the OP. Jackson was a disgrace and the closest we ever came to a dictatorship until FDR.

Where did you get your Phd in US History?

I don't hold a phd in history. That degree is not required to be a "professor". Just ask Harvard University who says Obama is a constitutional law professor although he holds no advanced degrees in the field. I have a Masters in Business Administration supported by 24 years of business experience, and a Bachelor's in history. I am qualified to teach all business related undergraduate courses and non-degree related course in history (specific to American and ancient history)

Yes, the suspension of habeus corpus keeps Lincoln out my top 5. I began with Jackson because The Newt quoted him, and speaks so very highly of him. It caught my attention. Jackson appears to be forgiven for his HINTS at GENOCIDE to Native Americans who did not wish to "relocate"; the thousands of deaths due to RELOCATION are passed over. I read critiques of Grant, Lincoln and Buchanan, (ranked as WORST by some historians) but nothing but praise for Jackson from a candidate for the Pubbie nomination. FDR is savaged by many today, though he kept the nation together during one of our toughest periods.

Well, he had a nice house. If you ever get to Nashville go by and visit:

Visit | The Hermitage

Jackson played guitar and the driveway is shaped like a guitar!

And while you are there check out the Belle Meade Mansion:

Welcome to the Belle Meade Plantation Website

And the Parthenon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenon_(Nashville)

Yeah, missing Nashville, this week.

I have been to his house and you're right. It's a great place to visit. Shortly before I visited it a tornado destroyed a lot of the beautiful old oak trees around his house. Gibson, the guitar makers, used some of the wood from those trees to make some limited edition guitars and they were on display in Nashville. They too were beautiful.

I remember that storm. I was in Nashville when it hit. The place looked like a war zone.

Not according to those who suffered because of it:

A Choctaw chief, thought to be Thomas Harkins or Nitikechi, was quoted in the Arkansas Gazette as saying the 1831 Choctaw removal was a "trail of tears and death"
Jackson did not leave office until 1837.

All true but The INDIAN KILLER ranks too high; you list Washington, and Jefferson, as though they were contemporaries of Jackson. Jackson signed the INDIAN REMOVAL ACT. That was four YEARS after Jefferson and Adams died (on the same day). Adams never owned slaves; Jackson killed thousands of Indians and created the TRAIL OF TEARS. Read some American History: The Great Republic is a good starting point.

First, I realize that Washington and Jefferson were not contemporaries of Jackson. I was merely pointing out that many a man, even those we might consider great men, are products of their times. As we all know, what was once acceptable and widely practiced is now recognized as to be heinous.

Second, I am fairly well versed in American history and well aware of Jackson's policies toward the indiginous peoples of this continent.

I went to Harvard. Grad students teach some courses and there is no set in stone criteria for being a professor.

Genocide was an option to Jackson. I am interested in Jackson right now; last month it was the influenza epidemic of 1918. Before that McCullough's book The Johnstown Flood got my attention.

Obviously you are right wingnut; insults and attacks are all they can comprehend.

the OP

sounds like a realist to me, given the times.

it's interesting that lincoln gets a pass on the dictator tag from you, because a lot of people would consider suspension of habeus corpus, um, dicatatorial.

Jackson wasn't facing armed insurrection from half the country. I stand corrected about the OP mentioning slavery

and he didn't suspend habeus corpus either.

it's always a mistake to judge figures from the past by the standards of contemporary times.

AND, Nixon so far, is the best President of my lifetime. HE brought down the Soviet Union, HE opened China to the idea of "small scale" free enterprise. Now go kiss Ronnie R's picture.

Class of '81, Winthrop House. I actually did go to Harvard undergrad, UF for law school.

Not according to those who suffered because of it:

A Choctaw chief, thought to be Thomas Harkins or Nitikechi, was quoted in the Arkansas Gazette as saying the 1831 Choctaw removal was a "trail of tears and death"
Jackson did not leave office until 1837.

'The Trail of Tears' historically refers to the Cherokee removal which took place in 1838.

Your heartfelt, kind, and gracious comments attract many to this board I am sure. I just saw several wasps light on my porch.

Wow.

Three years and one month and this is what you have for us? Andrew Jackson?

You do know that George Washington also owned slaves and killed Native Americans, right?

Thomas Jefferson? Slave owner.

James Madison owned and sold slaves all his life.

James Monroe owned 30-40 slaves.

Martin Van Buren owned at least one slave.

William Henry Harrison had several.

John Tyler had slaves.

James K. Polk had 15 slaves.

Zachary Taylor owned more than 100 slaves.

Andrew Johnson owned 8 slaves.

Ulysses S. Grant freed his slaves.

Before one goes posting stupid shit, one might take a moment to consider the times in which the subject existed...

Who said anything about slaves? That's a different issue. But I would say that a president who says "the (Supreme Court) has made their decision, now let's see them enforce it"....sounds like a dictator to me.

the OP

sounds like a realist to me, given the times.

it's interesting that lincoln gets a pass on the dictator tag from you, because a lot of people would consider suspension of habeus corpus, um, dicatatorial.

Not to mention how Lincoln's great and heroic generals, Grant, Sherman, and Sheridan, went on to wipe out the Plains Indians after they tried to wipe out the southerners.

Forum List

Back