Anderson Cooper: "I don't believe in inheritance"

What works for a media star, isnt gonna be the plan for all cases of inheritance.. I think that passing wealth to the next gen is one tool that REDUCES the gaps between rich and poor. Because in the minority side of our country --- there are FAR more pro ball players, entertainers and self made biz people than Vanderbilts or Hiltons.. And I WANT Bill Cosby to be able to pass on his wealth to HIS kids.. Thats how we multiply minority wealth.....

We discussed inheritance taxes when I took my Intro to Macroeconomics course. My professor's take on it was rich people who leave money to their kids enhance the economy. Rich kids who have a brain in their heads turn inherited money into more money and create jobs in the process. Idiots that piss away money on sports cars and drugs and the like still stimulate the economy in the process of pissing away their windfall. All diverting that money to the government does is end up taking the money out of the economy.

Another man who made the same decision is John Robbins whose father/uncle were Baskin Robbins. He grew up with an ice cream cone shaped swimming pool but told them he could not take money that came from a product that harms the environment, harms people's health and is cruel to animals. He started an organization called Earth Save and has written several books, including, Pulitzer Prize nominated Diet For A New America.

He was doing well until he lost his money to Bernie Madoff.

Father and uncle have since died of heart disease.

Last I talked to him, he has no regrets.

His choice and not up to me to judge it or Cooper's decision.

Like a true liberal, Anderson Cooper doesn't want anyone to have an inheritance and that's supposed to mean something. It's like Donald Trump saying no one should own a home.

Did he say 'I don't believe in anyone being able to inherit money'?

I missed that.

Where did he say that he doesn't want anybody to get an inheritance? I'll save you time. He didn't.

" I don't believe in inheriting money." -Anderson Cooper

Funny watching the responses from USMB's fake conservatives. They hate handouts until they like handouts. Just say you don't like Anderson Cooper. At least be honest.

Ooooooo...so close to saying we hate gays. What stopped you?

Saying you don't believe in something, and saying others shouldn't be able to do something are two completely different things. I don't believe people should smoke, and I'm a smoker. See how that works? Of course you do. You are just intellectually dishonest.

Oh poppycock. Of course you believe people should smoke, who you kidding?

The smug superior feeling people get when they pretend to be against their own behavior. Anderson Cooper was being honest, and I assume so were the posters here. With the one exception being the tough guy who is trying to soften AC words.

Like someone said before, I'd be more impressed if he hadn't made bank on the family name. Now, if something happens that puts him in the poorhouse, will he be so thoughtful?

That would tell the real story. All in all, do I care that a rich dude said no to more riches?

Meh.

When did he pass as "Anderson Vanderbilt" then?

I don't think it's well known who his famous parent is. Certainly not like, say, Charlie Sheen.

Like someone said before, I'd be more impressed if he hadn't made bank on the family name. Now, if something happens that puts him in the poorhouse, will he be so thoughtful?

That would tell the real story. All in all, do I care that a rich dude said no to more riches?

Meh.

I don't think it's well known who his famous parent is. Certainly not like, say, Charlie Sheen.

You don't think others with power and money knew who he was?

Comon Man.

Meh.

Comon Man.

You're making a leap.

Comon Man.

You're making a leap.

You are serious?

Sure. After all what evidence do you have? Assumptions don't go far with me.

Did you know who his mother was before this? Me neither. But I knew who he is. So I don't think he built an audience on her name. He doesn't even use it. It's become a trivia question.

Mike Nesmith's mother invented Wite-Out. He didn't get to be a Monkee on the back of that fact; it's something we found out later after he did his own accomplishments. Again, a trivia question. Arguably he's more famous than she is; had he not been a Monkee and had a music and film career I doubt either of us would know who invented Wite-Out.

You're making a leap.

You are serious?

Did you know who his mother was before this? Me neither. But I knew who he is. So I don't think he built an audience on her name. He doesn't even use it. It's become a trivia question.

Mike Nesmith's mother invented Wite-Out. He didn't get to be a Monkee on the back of that fact; it's something we found out later after he did his own accomplishments. Again, a trivia question. Arguably he's more famous than she is; had he not been a Monkee and had a music and film career I doubt either of us would know who invented Wite-Out.

Don't even equate the inventor of white out with Gloria freaking Vanderbilt.

Did I know he was her son? Freaking didn't care, but then again I am not in the circles that he could "bank" with. Anybody in that small little circle sure as hell would.

But even if they didn't, let's try this.

Interviewer: tell me about yourself Mr. Cooper.

A. Cooper: Well my mother is Gloria Vanderbilt.

Interviewer: Welcome to the company, can I get you drink.

You are serious?

Did I know he was her son? Freaking didn't care, but then again I am not in the circles that he could "bank" with. Anybody in that small little circle sure as hell would.

Exactly. You have no evidence any such event happened. That's my point.

Wow!

Do you know nothing about the rich and famous

Here's a clue, they AND THEIR FAMILIES hang out together!

That's "bank"

Geez, really! You need this drawn out for you!

Just so the world knows....the USMB world, anyway...Cooper revealed this info on the Howard Stern Show. I listened live. There was more to the conversation. When asked about whether or not he would leave money to his own kids if he ever had them.....he was less sure.

CNN talking head Anderson Cooper's mom is Gloria Vanderbilt, and as such worth millions, but it's not going to him.

"My mom's made clear to me that there's no trust fund. There's none of that," he told Howard Stern. "[And] I don't believe in inheriting money."

Cooper, 46, said that inherited money is an "initiative sucker" and a "curse." Because of that, he's grateful that his mother always gave him an incentive to work.

"Who's inherited a lot of money that has gone on to do things in their own life?" he asked. "From the time I was growing up, if I felt that there was some pot of gold waiting for me, I don't know that I would've been so motivated."​

Man... Thanks for sharing

-Geaux

Just so the world knows....the USMB world, anyway...Cooper revealed this info on the Howard Stern Show. I listened live. There was more to the conversation. When asked about whether or not he would leave money to his own kids if he ever had them.....he was less sure.

He's human. Good for him. Shows he's thoughtful

So he doesn't believe in inheritance, sorta?

So he doesn't believe in inheritance, sorta?

I think he believes what he said. His take on the effect that a large inheritance has on the recipient is surely influenced by his own success.

When a public figure is interviewed by Stern....they are sort of forced to go places that they normally would not go. I am thinking that he has not given the subject all that much thought.

Wow!

That's "bank"

Spin all you like but you prove my original point: you're fueling yourself on ass-umptions.
As I said, that doesn't go real far for me. But I sure like reading blanket statements and "everybody knows" fallacies. :rock:

Wow!

That's "bank"

Spin all you like but you prove my original point: you're fueling yourself on ass-umptions.
As I said, that doesn't go real far for me. But I sure like reading blanket statements and "everybody knows" fallacies. :rock:

Lack of sleep

Who do you think really cares?

Get some rest, your melting down over something that's simply silliness

CNN talking head Anderson Cooper's mom is Gloria Vanderbilt, and as such worth millions, but it's not going to him.
"My mom's made clear to me that there's no trust fund. There's none of that," he told Howard Stern. "[And] I don't believe in inheriting money."

Cooper, 46, said that inherited money is an "initiative sucker" and a "curse." Because of that, he's grateful that his mother always gave him an incentive to work.

"Who's inherited a lot of money that has gone on to do things in their own life?" he asked. "From the time I was growing up, if I felt that there was some pot of gold waiting for me, I don't know that I would've been so motivated."​

She could give it to me! I could donate it to a bunch of really good causes:

Salvation Army
Habitat for Humanity
Denver Rescue Mission
NRA
GOA
RMGO
Animal Rescue League

and many, many more. Cooper could do the same. Money isn't a curse ... it's usually how it's used that's the curse.

Forum List

Back