Anderson Cooper: "I don't believe in inheritance"

He's right. If that money were sitting there waiting on him, he would be doing absolutely nothing. He is wealthy in his own right and doesn't need her dough...which SHE inherited herself. Mom done good. So did he.

But not when it's government handouts, somehow it's different then?

Who said that?

This is the whole point of posting the article; he does what he does without the handout. Why is that a bad thing? I thought self-sufficiency was a positive, yet I get a bunch of whiners muttering "what choice did he have" and "that's stupid, take the money". That's the sentiment I didn't expect. Funny how that works.

Well at least you see the comparison, even if you have to inject a blanket strawman in search of a political dig.

He's right. If that money were sitting there waiting on him, he would be doing absolutely nothing. He is wealthy in his own right and doesn't need her dough...which SHE inherited herself. Mom done good. So did he.

Who said that?
This is the whole point of posting the article; he does what he does without the handout. Why is that a bad thing? I thought self-sufficiency was a positive, yet I get a bunch of whiners muttering "what choice did he have" and "that's stupid, take the money". That's the sentiment I didn't expect. Funny how that works.

Well at least you see the comparison, even if you have to inject a blanket strawman in search of a political dig.

Leftists do all the time in defense and expansion of welfare.

CNN talking head Anderson Cooper's mom is Gloria Vanderbilt, and as such worth millions, but it's not going to him.

"My mom's made clear to me that there's no trust fund. There's none of that," he told Howard Stern. "[And] I don't believe in inheriting money."

Cooper, 46, said that inherited money is an "initiative sucker" and a "curse." Because of that, he's grateful that his mother always gave him an incentive to work.

"Who's inherited a lot of money that has gone on to do things in their own life?" he asked. "From the time I was growing up, if I felt that there was some pot of gold waiting for me, I don't know that I would've been so motivated."​

Passing on massive amounts of wealth is probably not the greatest thing for anyone. Not passing on any of it though, doesn't really make much sense.

CNN talking head Anderson Cooper's mom is Gloria Vanderbilt, and as such worth millions, but it's not going to him.

"My mom's made clear to me that there's no trust fund. There's none of that," he told Howard Stern. "[And] I don't believe in inheriting money."

Cooper, 46, said that inherited money is an "initiative sucker" and a "curse." Because of that, he's grateful that his mother always gave him an incentive to work.

"Who's inherited a lot of money that has gone on to do things in their own life?" he asked. "From the time I was growing up, if I felt that there was some pot of gold waiting for me, I don't know that I would've been so motivated."​

Passing on massive amounts of wealth is probably not the greatest thing for anyone. Not passing on any of it though, doesn't really make much sense.

The state taking it and pissing it away isn't a good solution either. Given the available choices, I got to go with the idea that it's my property to do with as I please and that includes deciding who gets it when I die.

Why do leftists applaud this mindset on inheritance, but can't apply the same mindset to government handouts? There's absolutely no difference, money not earned is money not earned.
Quite true. In the end, though, inherited money is money that is not confiscated. It is not immoral.

Who said that?

Leftists do all the time in defense and expansion of welfare.

...... aaaand right back to the blanket strawman, thanks for playin' :rolleyes:

Debate is a lost art.

Last edited:

The state taking it and pissing it away isn't a good solution either. Given the available choices, I got to go with the idea that it's my property to do with as I please and that includes deciding who gets it when I die.

I don't think they indicated Gloria Vanderbilt is leaving it to the state. I doubt that. They don't really say what her will sets up.

It's not just her will, but Uncle Sugar and the State of New York both get their cut of her fortune when she dies, which will likely be the majority.

Glad he has accepted that his mother isn't giving him any money. Not sure what any other point would be.

It is his mothers money and she can do with it, what she pleases.

The Vanderbilt wealth has been a mixed blessing. Quite a few heirs died young.

Gloria herself was a little girl lost.

She loves that Anderson is gay. She has Kathy Griffin over for sleepovers fergoshsakes

Cooper has worked hard. And at $6 million a year salary, he don't need no stinkin' Vanderbilt money.

Regards from Rosie

Having Griffin to her house just proves she has to be a nutjob.
Link to her loving he's gay?

The Vanderbilt wealth has been a mixed blessing. Quite a few heirs died young.

Gloria herself was a little girl lost.

She loves that Anderson is gay. She has Kathy Griffin over for sleepovers fergoshsakes

Cooper has worked hard. And at $6 million a year salary, he don't need no stinkin' Vanderbilt money.

Regards from Rosie

Having Griffin to her house just proves she has to be a nutjob.
Link to her loving he's gay?

Sorry! You would have had to watch Anderson and Kathy on New Year's Eve on CNN to catch their phone call with Gloria.

Anderson is obviously Kathy's main gay since half her career lately involves appearing with him.

Regards from Rosie

Like a true liberal, Anderson Cooper doesn't want anyone to have an inheritance and that's supposed to mean something. It's like Donald Trump saying no one should own a home.

Like someone said before, I'd be more impressed if he hadn't made bank on the family name. Now, if something happens that puts him in the poorhouse, will he be so thoughtful?

That would tell the real story. All in all, do I care that a rich dude said no to more riches?

Meh.

Like a true liberal, Anderson Cooper doesn't want anyone to have an inheritance and that's supposed to mean something. It's like Donald Trump saying no one should own a home.

Where did he say that he doesn't want anybody to get an inheritance? I'll save you time. He didn't.

Funny watching the responses from USMB's fake conservatives. They hate handouts until they like handouts. Just say you don't like Anderson Cooper. At least be honest.

I wonder what AC would be saying now if he was a bar keeper in a gay bar? And 'mommy dearest' had made it clear that he would inherit millions when she died?
"I don't want the millions mommy"? Ya right.
He only got the gig at CNN b/c 'Jane' and 'Gloria' are/were board members for the same charities and have been friends for decades.
"What's your boy Anderson doing Gloria?" "Not much". Tell him to call Bill Wienstien at the network. Tell him to tell Bill to give him a job".

Many rich people inherit jobs and a fortune when their parents die. Many people, rich or poor, get their jobs because of somebody they know. Who cares?

Where did he say that he doesn't want anybody to get an inheritance? I'll save you time. He didn't.

" I don't believe in inheriting money." -Anderson Cooper

Funny watching the responses from USMB's fake conservatives. They hate handouts until they like handouts. Just say you don't like Anderson Cooper. At least be honest.

Ooooooo...so close to saying we hate gays. What stopped you?

What works for a media star, isnt gonna be the plan for all cases of inheritance.. I think that passing wealth to the next gen is one tool that REDUCES the gaps between rich and poor. Because in the minority side of our country --- there are FAR more pro ball players, entertainers and self made biz people than Vanderbilts or Hiltons.. And I WANT Bill Cosby to be able to pass on his wealth to HIS kids.. Thats how we multiply minority wealth.....

" I don't believe in inheriting money." -Anderson Cooper

Ooooooo...so close to saying we hate gays. What stopped you?

Saying you don't believe in something, and saying others shouldn't be able to do something are two completely different things. I don't believe people should smoke, and I'm a smoker. See how that works? Of course you do. You are just intellectually dishonest.

So to whom is Gloria leaving her 200 million dollars? Curious minds want to know! does she have other children? is she leaving it to a charity perhaps? .....:dunno:

Forum List

Back