"And no religion, too"

I'm a man of fact, not a man of faith.

Then you are half a man.

I'm a liar and half a man because I'm not a man of faith.

That's cute :clap2:

NO, that's true. You are half a man for wanting/attempting to reject half of the human experience, and a liar for claiming you have no faith.

Kind of like a stubborn fool who is too dim-witted to appreciate art and therefore claims he can't see color or form.

Then you are half a man.

NO, that's true. You are half a man for wanting/attempting to reject half of the human experience, and a liar for claiming you have no faith.

Kind of like a stubborn fool who is too dim-witted to appreciate art and therefore claims he can't see color or form.

How very christian of you, I can tell you're one of the one hour a week type of christians who takes the Bible and Jesus's teachings seriously for an hour at church then rejects them the rest of the week.

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." ( John 13:34-35)

"Whatever you want others to do for you, do so for them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." ( Matthew 7:12)

"But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward in heaven will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men." ( Luke 6:35)

You don't do a very good job of pretending to be christian.

Unfortunately, it will be too late then. God will not make it obvious to any the un-saved until the end of the world.

PS, I'm a woman of fact. And I still have faith, because I recognize the difference between things not existing UNTIL they're proven, and the necessity of looking at the whole picture and making a determination BEFORE proof is discovered.

My whole family is like that. It's why we had a very high infant survival rate in my family several generations back....we hadn't seen the evidence for germs, but we knew there was a connection between clean diapers, clean hands, and clean food, and behaved accordingly. Even though there wasn't official *proof* or scientific data that supported it.

For the sake of discussion I'll assume a god exists, and assume the one that does is the particular one you've chosen to worship.

If your god's first concern with humans isn't their morals, he's not a god I'm overly concerned about spending eternity with.

You mean you do not want to spend eternity with Jerry Falwell?

This is the only life we are absolutely certain to have.
Should we not live it as best as we can?
Do certain aspects of religion belittle this only certain life?

Man Made God | Science and religion: God didn't make man; man made gods - Los Angeles Times

Good editorial.

Beyond psychological adaptations and mechanisms, scientists have discovered neurological explanations for what many interpret as evidence of divine existence. Canadian psychologist Michael Persinger, who developed what he calls a "god helmet" that blocks sight and sound but stimulates the brain's temporal lobe, notes that many of his helmeted research subjects reported feeling the presence of "another." Depending on their personal and cultural history, they then interpreted the sensed presence as either a supernatural or religious figure. It is conceivable that St. Paul's dramatic conversion on the road to Damascus was, in reality, a seizure caused by temporal lobe epilepsy.

The better we understand human psychology and neurology, the more we will uncover the underpinnings of religion. Some of them, like the attachment system, push us toward a belief in gods and make departing from it extraordinarily difficult. But it is possible.

We can be better as a species if we recognize religion as a man-made construct. We owe it to ourselves to at least consider the real roots of religious belief, so we can deal with life as it is, taking advantage of perhaps our mind's greatest adaptation: our ability to use reason.

Imagine that.

Here's something good in regard to "reasoning".

Isaiah 1:18
Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

I like your work Marie.

In the same vein, the first time I saw the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, it was, of course, astonding.

But the second time was just after the cleaning of the ceiling, and everything was much sharper....especially the cloud on which God sat as he reached out to Adam.
It was evident that the cloud had a specific and familiar shape.

It was the outline of a human cerebrum.

Michelangelo was explaining the gift that God gave mankind.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wYIWnbQrpM&feature=related]The Creation Of Adam - Brain - YouTube[/ame]

Amazing the mental gymnastics "elites" want to go through to pretend that God isn't there and that religion is all false. And yet they fail to do the one thing they need to do to really find out about God: Talk with Him.

They assume that He isn't there. That He can't speak. That anyone who says He can is insane. And yet they don't bother to really try. God is waiting with open arms for every soul to turn to Him and be healed. Our pains are His Pains. Our suffering His. They are imprinted in his hands and feet. We were purchased with His blood.

All we have to do is let go of the pride, let go of the fear, and let go of our pain. Yet, so many people will not. They would rather let their pride blind them, their fear hold them back, their pain embitter them.

This is simply human nature. A consequence of the Fall. The Natural man is and always will be an enemy to God until we put off the natural man and Yield to the enticings of the Holy Spirit to become a Saint.

It's funny, everytime I think I know something the Lord shows me how little I truly know about something. Im going to have to ponder alot of this.

I can assure you pride/fear/pain have nothing to do with me not believing in your god or any of the many other gods man has believed in during our existence.

I don't believe in one because I'm a man of fact, not a man of faith. When a god is backed by facts rather than backed by faith, I'll believe in a god.

Yet how do you learn the facts if your very mindset precludes ever learning them? How do you find the facts if you don't search?

This is the only life we are absolutely certain to have.
Should we not live it as best as we can?
Do certain aspects of religion belittle this only certain life?

Not if you've learned otherwise.
Yes, but we may have different ideas what living it best means
No.

Amazing the mental gymnastics "elites" want to go through to pretend that God isn't there and that religion is all false. And yet they fail to do the one thing they need to do to really find out about God: Talk with Him.

They assume that He isn't there. That He can't speak. That anyone who says He can is insane. And yet they don't bother to really try. God is waiting with open arms for every soul to turn to Him and be healed. Our pains are His Pains. Our suffering His. They are imprinted in his hands and feet. We were purchased with His blood.

All we have to do is let go of the pride, let go of the fear, and let go of our pain. Yet, so many people will not. They would rather let their pride blind them, their fear hold them back, their pain embitter them.

This is simply human nature. A consequence of the Fall. The Natural man is and always will be an enemy to God until we put off the natural man and Yield to the enticings of the Holy Spirit to become a Saint.

It's funny, everytime I think I know something the Lord shows me how little I truly know about something. Im going to have to ponder alot of this.

I can assure you pride/fear/pain have nothing to do with me not believing in your god or any of the many other gods man has believed in during our existence.

I don't believe in one because I'm a man of fact, not a man of faith. When a god is backed by facts rather than backed by faith, I'll believe in a god.

Yet how do you learn the facts if your very mindset precludes ever learning them? How do you find the facts if you don't search?

My mindset doesn't preclude them. If it becomes a scientific fact that a god exists, I'll believe in a god. I have no problem with becoming a believer in a generic god, once scientific evidence gives me reason to.

How very christian of you, I can tell you're one of the one hour a week type of christians who takes the Bible and Jesus's teachings seriously for an hour at church then rejects them the rest of the week.

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." ( John 13:34-35)

"Whatever you want others to do for you, do so for them, for this is the Law and the Prophets." ( Matthew 7:12)

"But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward in heaven will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men." ( Luke 6:35)

When did I say I was a Christian?

The religious are entitled to believe whatever they wish, and this is not an issue for the most part.

Unfortunately there are a significant number of religious individuals who feel compelled to foist their faith on others in some pathetic need for religious justification – where non-believers can’t be ‘tolerated.’

This type of religious extremism will often manifest itself in efforts to inject religious dogma into secular laws – effecting both the faithful and those free from faith.

Such violations of the Establishment Clause will be fought in the courts; it’s incumbent upon the religious to obey the Constitution and refrain from attempts to codify religious dogma if conflict is to be avoided.

Yes there are a certain number of religious who would foist their religion on others given the opportunity to do so. Certainly it is a goal of Islam to make the whole world Muslim and make Sharia Law the law for everybody. There are Christians who would tell us that God wants us to have this or that law. And there are Atheists who want all religious, most especially Christians and any evidence of them, to be out of sight and earshot or at least stay in their place at the back of the bus. And there are those who would dictate to us what sort of automobile we should drive, what foods we must not feed our children, what language we must or must not use in reference to certain groups, what we must recycle, or even what sort of light bulbs we should be allowed to use.

We have a Constitution, which when followed to the letter of its intent, protects us from the intentions of all these people leaving them to whatever otherwise harmless opinions or prejudices they may hold. Those who would deny people we disagree with a voice are far worse than any who attempt to persuade us about anything.

And isn't that what the separation of church and state is really all about? Short of defending unalienable rights of each citizen, the State does not interfere with anybody's religious beliefs or practices. And no religious group or any other ideologically motived group may have power to dictate their religious 'law' or policy to anybody else.

Alright, you tell me what religion you're a part of and I'll tell you how your conduct goes against what they teach.

I'm sure it'll be very easy.

Alright, you tell me what religion you're a part of and I'll tell you how your conduct goes against what they teach.

My religion is not your business. That's why I haven't talked about it. You need to worry about your own severe shortcomings.

So, just how foolish do you feel about going on and on in that previous post?

My religion is not your business. That's why I haven't talked about it. You need to worry about your own severe shortcomings.

Well I'm sad for you that your faith is so weak you're too afraid to say what you believe on a completely anonymous message board. Shortcomings are what people have when they judge others for having different religious views than themselves, now who would that be in this conversation.......................................

I don't feel the least bit foolish, the overwhelming majority of people in the US and on this forum are christians.

Well I'm sad for you that your faith is so weak you're too afraid to say what you believe on a completely anonymous message board. Shortcomings are what people have when they judge others for having different religious views than themselves, now who would that be in this conversation.......................................

I don't feel the least bit foolish, the overwhelming majority of people in the US and on this forum are christians.

You seem to rely on assumptions to an unusual degree. When did I say I was "afraid"? The fact is that I don't know or respect you enough to share something so personally important to me, and I'm almost certain I never will.

You, a self-professed atheist, are frustrated because you cannot cast a judgment based on a particular religion. Ironic.

Got any more straw men handy?

You seem to rely on assumptions to an unusual degree. When did I say I was "afraid"? The fact is that I don't know or respect you enough to share something so personally important to me, and I'm almost certain I never will.

You, a self-professed atheist, are frustrated because you cannot cast a judgment based on a particular religion. Ironic.

Assumptions? No, you're not posting your religion on an anonymous message board. That seems like you're afraid to. You have to know or respect someone to simply state your religion without the person you're telling it to ever knowing you personally? Okie dokie

I'm not sure if I'm atheist or agnostic, I'm not concerned with the label, many people have used both terms with me. And I'm not the least bit frustrated, I'm happy as a clam :).

Yeah I've got a straw man handy, I'm half a man and a liar because I don't share your religious beliefs. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Assumptions? No, you're not posting your religion on an anonymous message board. That seems like you're afraid to. You have to know or respect someone to simply state your religion without the person you're telling it to ever knowing you personally? Okie dokie

I'm not sure if I'm atheist or agnostic, I'm not concerned with the label, many people have used both terms with me. And I'm not the least bit frustrated, I'm happy as a clam :).

Yeah I've got a straw man handy, I'm half a man and a liar because I don't share your religious beliefs. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

My comments to you were not based on any particular religion (notice how I didn't mention one, Captain ASSumption?). You took them that way because your fear of faith makes you insecure and defensive.

Well they claim to be christians.
But they are not really unless they fully follow the teachings of Jesus.

My comments to you were not based on any particular religion (notice how I didn't mention one, Captain ASSumption?). You took them that way because your fear of faith makes you insecure and defensive.

Lol yeah I'm the defensive one, it's your insecurity that caused you to instantly lash out at someone you didn't know and judge their character entirely SOLELY because they don't have the same faith in a god that you do.

You're so insecure that if anyone dare have a different view on a god that you have to be instantly offended and go on the offensive in order to keep the thought in your head that believing in a god is the only rational way to go.

Freud called this projecting.

Forum List

Back