Analyzing A Practical Minimum Wage

Which means nothing. You need to know how many burgers they are selling and what the profit margin is. Comparing sales to percentages of wage hikes tells you nothing. For all you know they use even cheaper ingredients to make ends meet.

It a corporate chain, using all the same ingredients. The market value for the burger is ten bucks. It doesn't matter if they pay the workers two bucks an hour or ten bucks and hour. The burger is still only worth ten bucks.

1) Ford workers make as much today relative to the price of cars today!!
Do you understand?

2) 10.00/hour equals $41,000/year plus $10k in free health care plus EITC tax credits. The poor are rich today with cells phones and flat screen TV's Do you understand?

That's some ignorant crap right there. Are you telling me that Africans are not poor anymore because they have cellphones? Per capita, they have more cellphones and laptop computers than we do. Free healthcare is welfare, which I do not support.

Ford workers certainly do NOT make as much today as compared to the price of a car. That statement is completely delusional in light of the historical facts and simple arithmetic presented in the article. The price of an average car has DOUBLED, while auto workers are paid less than ever before.

So you tell me how I can triple everyone of my employees' pay and not have to raise prices.

If you have triple the income you won't have to raise prices. If you raise prices, you will lose customers rather than gaining them. Next thing you know you will be paying min wage, have a socialized labor force, and no customers.

Whoa Boy

You said product prices are not related to labor costs.

So if I change nothing but my labor costs then according to you I should not have to raise my prices.

Or are you saying that if I triple my payroll that somehow magically my business volume will triple too?

The whole conversation seems moot.

We have - through lowered standards, political correctness and the soft bigotry of reduced expectations - created an entire underclass of people who simply do not yet have the capacity to take care of themselves to a decent degree. It we don't take care of them this way, we'll end up taking care of them via public assistance, which would be even worse on a macro level.

I put the word "yet" in bold and underline, because anyone can improve their own condition if others would quit trying to "help" them.

Establish a minimum and let each state decide, each has its own conditions. This is a self-inflicted wound, we have to pay some people significantly more than they are worth, and there are no other short-term fixes. It is what it is: Confident Idiots American Students Growing More Confident Less Capable

Establish some national minimum, and allow each state to increase it as its own conditions dictate.

No one is worth less than what is needed to live on. I don't care what you do for a living, you should be paid enough to put food on the table.

When I was in college I worked as a security guard under state contract. At that time, I was paid DOUBLE the min wage to sit at a desk. That was it. No cooking, no cleaning, no making change, no learning how to break down a shake machine, no collecting carts in crappy weather... I just sat there, on my ass, for 8 or 16 hours a day, and collected DOUBLE the min wage. And somehow people still think that being a state officer is somehow more "respectable" than working in a burger factory.

You still don't get it.

A job had nothing to do with the value of a person or the worth of a human life.

It has everything to do with the activity being performed and not the person performing that activity.

We can ask why a person would want to stay at a low wage low pay job but if they do that is their choice.

Instead of pay increases you should be arguing for free food and housing for everyone

The whole conversation seems moot.

We have - through lowered standards, political correctness and the soft bigotry of reduced expectations - created an entire underclass of people who simply do not yet have the capacity to take care of themselves to a decent degree. It we don't take care of them this way, we'll end up taking care of them via public assistance, which would be even worse on a macro level.

I put the word "yet" in bold and underline, because anyone can improve their own condition if others would quit trying to "help" them.

Establish a minimum and let each state decide, each has its own conditions. This is a self-inflicted wound, we have to pay some people significantly more than they are worth, and there are no other short-term fixes. It is what it is: Confident Idiots American Students Growing More Confident Less Capable

Establish some national minimum, and allow each state to increase it as its own conditions dictate.

No one is worth less than what is needed to live on. I don't care what you do for a living, you should be paid enough to put food on the table.

When I was in college I worked as a security guard under state contract. At that time, I was paid DOUBLE the min wage to sit at a desk. That was it. No cooking, no cleaning, no making change, no learning how to break down a shake machine, no collecting carts in crappy weather... I just sat there, on my ass, for 8 or 16 hours a day, and collected DOUBLE the min wage. And somehow people still think that being a state officer is somehow more "respectable" than working in a burger factory.

You still don't get it.

A job had nothing to do with the value of a person or the worth of a human life.

It has everything to do with the activity being performed and not the person performing that activity.

We can ask why a person would want to stay at a low wage low pay job but if they do that is their choice.

Instead of pay increases you should be arguing for free food and housing for everyone

Evidently expecting someone to improve their own life - in America, not some third world shit hole - is mean and unacceptable.

Which means nothing. You need to know how many burgers they are selling and what the profit margin is. Comparing sales to percentages of wage hikes tells you nothing. For all you know they use even cheaper ingredients to make ends meet.

It a corporate chain, using all the same ingredients. The market value for the burger is ten bucks. It doesn't matter if they pay the workers two bucks an hour or ten bucks and hour. The burger is still only worth ten bucks.
lol

Anyone who builds space shuttles should be able to afford a Lamborghini,.

100% stupid and perfectly liberal. Anyone should be able to afford whatever he can buy with money he gets in free, peaceful, and voluntary exchange with others.

The last thing we need is a idiot libnazi soviet dictating what wage everyone should get based on his lib Nazi soviet central govt. guesses. Now perhaps the libnazi can understand why the USSR failed?

If you are a specialized highly skilled technician, there is no reason you should not be paid enough to afford an exotic sportcar if you want one. I am not saying it should be mandated, but it certainly should be expected to be possible. Without hope, without the stick and carrot, capitalism fails.

While I am not saying sports cars should be a mandated reward, I do support a mandated MINIMUM wage, to keep people off of welfare. Either employers will pay people enough to live on, or the taxpayers will have to make up the difference. It's as simple as that. Do YOU want to pay for the rent to house WalMart workers, or should WalMart?

What are you going to do with all the people who don't have ANY job any more? Or do you believe the fairy tale that you can simply mandate higher wages with absolutely no reaction from the employer?

100% stupid and perfectly liberal. Anyone should be able to afford whatever he can buy with money he gets in free, peaceful, and voluntary exchange with others.

The last thing we need is a idiot libnazi soviet dictating what wage everyone should get based on his lib Nazi soviet central govt. guesses. Now perhaps the libnazi can understand why the USSR failed?

If you are a specialized highly skilled technician, there is no reason you should not be paid enough to afford an exotic sportcar if you want one. I am not saying it should be mandated, but it certainly should be expected to be possible. Without hope, without the stick and carrot, capitalism fails.

While I am not saying sports cars should be a mandated reward, I do support a mandated MINIMUM wage, to keep people off of welfare. Either employers will pay people enough to live on, or the taxpayers will have to make up the difference. It's as simple as that. Do YOU want to pay for the rent to house WalMart workers, or should WalMart?

What are you going to do with all the people who don't have ANY job any more? Or do you believe the fairy tale that you can simply mandate higher wages with absolutely no reaction from the employer?
They get put on welfare roles so they can get paid minimum wage to not work.

Minimum wage should be set so that it allows a single person to be self-supporting given their location. A minimum wage should be a living wage. A person working full-time shouldn't have to depend on charity or government assistance programs. If a person is willing and able to work, and works at a full-time job, then they should make enough to support themselves. It's sad when a person works full-time and still has to depend on some form of assistance in order to survive. In addition, it would increase payroll taxes, decrease poverty, and lessen the burden on social programs such as food stamps and health care. Also, it would put more money into the economy via sales taxes, due to consumer spending. And, consumer spending drives employment via demand for goods and services. The only roadblock to paying a living wage is corporate greed. While top management is making multi-$millions in salary and bonuses, those that do the actual labor, make a tiny fraction of that.

yes, the liberal will lack the IQ to know that a higher wage will mean fewer jobs and higher prices so that no net gain is possible.

Minimum wage should be set so that it allows a single person to be self-supporting given their location. A minimum wage should be a living wage. A person working full-time shouldn't have to depend on charity or government assistance programs. If a person is willing and able to work, and works at a full-time job, then they should make enough to support themselves. It's sad when a person works full-time and still has to depend on some form of assistance in order to survive. In addition, it would increase payroll taxes, decrease poverty, and lessen the burden on social programs such as food stamps and health care. Also, it would put more money into the economy via sales taxes, due to consumer spending. And, consumer spending drives employment via demand for goods and services. The only roadblock to paying a living wage is corporate greed. While top management is making multi-$millions in salary and bonuses, those that do the actual labor, make a tiny fraction of that.

Straight out of the class envy playbook. Nice copy and paste job. Now, to face reality. Why do you want to make it harder for the young and unskilled to get a decent job and an opportunity to better their lives? Those low wage jobs exist for two reasons.

1. They aren't worth more.
2. Everyone needs place to start. They are not intended to make a person wealthy, or even to support a person. They are intended to gain an employee valuable work skills and experience that they can leverage to get a better one.

Why don't you know these things already?

Straight out of the class envy playbook. Nice copy and paste job. Now, to face reality. Why do you want to make it harder for the young and unskilled to get a decent job and an opportunity to better their lives? Those low wage jobs exist for two reasons.

2. Everyone needs place to start. They are not intended to make a person wealthy, or even to support a person. They are intended to gain an employee valuable work skills and experience that they can leverage to get a better one.

Well, I guess that I don't know them yet because common sense and simple logic gets in the way. Notice that I didn't say anything about kids working after school in part-time employment. Notice that I didn't mention the mentally challenged or other people with handicaps. Also, I didn't mention the elderly greeters at Wal-Mart. I did mention full-time workers attempting to be self-supporting members of society and not living off of government assistance programs or charity. What is wrong with a self-supporting citizenry? Do you have something against workers being able to support themselves? Are you pro-welfare and dependency? By the way, what I write is NOT cut and paste. Those are my words just as I intended them to be. In addition, what I write is reality, and the use of common sense and simple logic.

The only roadblock to paying a living wage is corporate greed..

pure stupidity of course. Capitalism prevents a corporation from being greedy. If it is greedy about wages for example all its employees will quit and go to work for a corporation that is not greedy.

Do you understand?

Well, I guess that I don't know them yet because common sense and simple logic gets in the way. Notice that I didn't say anything about kids working after school in part-time employment. Notice that I didn't mention the mentally challenged or other people with handicaps. Also, I didn't mention the elderly greeters at Wal-Mart. I did mention full-time workers attempting to be self-supporting members of society and not living off of government assistance programs or charity. What is wrong with a self-supporting citizenry? Do you have something against workers being able to support themselves? Are you pro-welfare and dependency? By the way, what I write is NOT cut and paste. Those are my words just as I intended them to be. In addition, what I write is reality, and the use of common sense and simple logic.

What you state means, however, that a job would have to pay more for some people than for others. That's discrimination, and illegal.

. A minimum wage should be a living wage.

higher wages mean even more jobs going to china so obviously its a stupid idea
FYI - Our jobs have gone to foreign economies for over 60 plus years now. In addition, some of our jobs are in the hands of millions of illegal immigrants living and working in this country. And, what about the jobs we off-shore out-source? What about work visas and the importing of labor? What about the jobs sent to foreign labor markets due to high union wages here in the U.S.? Are you going to blame the loss of the textile, steel, electronics, furniture, appliance, tool, toy, farm equipment, and automotive parts and supplies industries on a minimum living wage? Have you any idea as to what our unfair, unjust, and one-sided foreign trade agreements and policies have done to our jobs market?

Forum List

Back