Zone1 Analysis: Tony Bennett sang in a key that Jason Aldean’s song can’t reach

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
First of all, I'm biased in favor of Jason Aldean as an artist because I've been listening to his music for well over a decade. Nonetheless I was also willing to take a look at the video to see what all the ruckus was about. Unfortunately, had I not already heard about "Black Lives Matter" protests footage and that the courthouse that was prominently depicted repeatedly in the video as a major backdrop to Aldean as he's singing was the site of an infamous lynching about a century ago, I'm pretty sure I would not have picked up on the significance of either of these. Honestly, while I did see the footage of people "rioting" I couldn't say with certainty that any of them were Black and there was nothing that I saw that would have indicated that even if the people depicted had been "rioting", that they were connected to the Black Lives Matter protests which were not the same events as those who were rioting (the rioters were doing so under cover of the legitimate Black Lives Matter protest).

So I took-up for Aldean and imagined that the person who produced the video was someone other than himself. I was mistaken and now both Aldean and the production company are stating

"There is not a single lyric in the song that references race or points to it," he [Aldean] wrote on Twitter.​
Maybe not verbally but the imagery conveys a lot, both the courthouse and the scenes of conflict with police in riot gear. Aldean continues

"...and there isn’t a single video clip that isn’t real news footage…”​
This second may then in turn be interpreted as suggesting that one shouldn't exercise their constitutional right to protest (in a Small Town) if the footage is indeed actual news footage of people rioting under cover of the Black Lives Matter Protest. Or at least, not if you're Black?

In any case, when I read this article about Tony Bennett and it contained a comment that Bennett was an "antiracist" before antiracist was even a word, it peaked my interest but particularly because I recently saw a segment on the Sunday evening show "60 Minutes" about the show he put on with Lady Gaga (I believe his last one ever) and how even though he suffered from Alzheimer's, when it came to singing and performing, he apparently was able to access those memories flawlessly.

I watched the segment with fascination as the two of them practiced, and Lady Gaga spoke with Tony's wife to gain more insight into his condition and how it manifests. There was however an extremely touching scene in the segment where he's performing on stage live, and doing so well, fully able to remember the lyrics and what he's supposed to do and then Lady Gaga appears in the wings getting ready to make her entrance on-stage and he looks so happy when he turns and sees her and then gleefully announces to the audience 'LADY GAGA!!!'. The look on her face was priceless as she is thrilled that he was still lucid and recognizes her and is on cue.

Black people will immediately understand the worth, meaning and depth of this article. Many of us relate from our own personal experiences and just today I gained insight into why we as Black people have better insight into white people than white people will ever have into us. It's because due to a sense of survival, we study white people, all our lives. As an attempt to provide an analogy, we read the entire book, however long it is, so that we don't miss anything that may be critically important to us and/or our survival. White racists, just read the foreword, which is written by someone other than the author.

[excerpt]​

White jazz artists were antiracists before the term was invented​

Many of the tributes to Bennett mentioned his disdain for bigotry. He was demoted for bringing a Black soldier home for Thanksgiving dinner during World War II; spoke of how he “saw no things a human being should ever have to see” while helping liberate a Nazi death camp; joined marches during the civil rights movement; and did extensive philanthropic work.​

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/30/entertainment/tony-bennett-jason-aldean-blake-cec/index.html

First of all, I'm biased in favor of Jason Aldean as an artist because I've been listening to his music for well over a decade. Nonetheless I was also willing to take a look at the video to see what all the ruckus was about. Unfortunately, had I not already heard about "Black Lives Matter" protests footage and that the courthouse that was prominently depicted repeatedly in the video as a major backdrop to Aldean as he's singing was the site of an infamous lynching about a century ago, I'm pretty sure I would not have picked up on the significance of either of these. Honestly, while I did see the footage of people "rioting" I couldn't say with certainty that any of them were Black and there was nothing that I saw that would have indicated that even if the people depicted had been "rioting", that they were connected to the Black Lives Matter protests which were not the same events as those who were rioting (the rioters were doing so under cover of the legitimate Black Lives Matter protest).

So I took-up for Aldean and imagined that the person who produced the video was someone other than himself. I was mistaken and now both Aldean and the production company are stating

"There is not a single lyric in the song that references race or points to it," he [Aldean] wrote on Twitter.​
Maybe not verbally but the imagery conveys a lot, both the courthouse and the scenes of conflict with police in riot gear. Aldean continues

This second may then in turn be interpreted as suggesting that one shouldn't exercise their constitutional right to protest (in a Small Town) if the footage is indeed actual news footage of people rioting under cover of the Black Lives Matter Protest. Or at least, not if you're Black?

In any case, when I read this article about Tony Bennett and it contained a comment that Bennett was an "antiracist" before antiracist was even a word, it peaked my interest but particularly because I recently saw a segment on the Sunday evening show "60 Minutes" about the show he put on with Lady Gaga (I believe his last one ever) and how even though he suffered from Alzheimer's, when it came to singing and performing, he apparently was able to access those memories flawlessly.

I watched the segment with fascination as the two of them practiced, and Lady Gaga spoke with Tony's wife to gain more insight into his condition and how it manifests. There was however an extremely touching scene in the segment where he's performing on stage live, and doing so well, fully able to remember the lyrics and what he's supposed to do and then Lady Gaga appears in the wings getting ready to make her entrance on-stage and he looks so happy when he turns and sees her and then gleefully announces to the audience 'LADY GAGA!!!'. The look on her face was priceless as she is thrilled that he was still lucid and recognizes her and is on cue.

Black people will immediately understand the worth, meaning and depth of this article. Many of us relate from our own personal experiences and just today I gained insight into why we as Black people have better insight into white people than white people will ever have into us. It's because due to a sense of survival, we study white people, all our lives. As an attempt to provide an analogy, we read the entire book, however long it is, so that we don't miss anything that may be critically important to us and/or our survival. White racists, just read the foreword, which is written by someone other than the author.

[excerpt]​

Many of the tributes to Bennett mentioned his disdain for bigotry. He was demoted for bringing a Black soldier home for Thanksgiving dinner during World War II; spoke of how he “saw no things a human being should ever have to see” while helping liberate a Nazi death camp; joined marches during the civil rights movement; and did extensive philanthropic work.​

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/30/entertainment/tony-bennett-jason-aldean-blake-cec/index.html

I'm not a huge country fan, but I think Bennett is right here. And I'm also biased, but music is a conduit for respect and in some ways, understanding.

There is no way to divorce American music from the influence of Black musicians going back generations and generations--Black music in many ways IS American music. There is no way a musician of Bennett's caliber did not comprehend this.

Unfortunately, had I not already heard about "Black Lives Matter" protests footage and that the courthouse that was prominently depicted repeatedly in the video as a major backdrop to Aldean as he's singing was the site of an infamous lynching about a century ago,
That courthouse has been used as a backdrop in scores of other videos including ones about Christmas. Also it has been seen in several movies like "Back to the Future".

It is only racist to someone looking for to be butthurt over something, like the BLM assholes.

That courthouse has been used as a backdrop in scores of other videos including ones about Christmas. Also it has been seen in several movies like "Back to the Future".

It is only racist to someone looking for to be butthurt over something, like the BLM assholes.
There are dog whistles that the general public don't even recognize, but racists will immediately recognize. They were included in that video as a signal to the racists. with no regard to anyone else. Why do you think they were deleted from that video when identified?

This was a very good article and I really care less about the video.

The Beatles refused to play before a segregated audience. (Just happened to be in Florida). The movie "The Green Book" shows very well what black musicians had to put up with.

Some people still have not got beyond that.

There are dog whistles that the general public don't even recognize, but racists will immediately recognize. They were included in that video as a signal to the racists. with no regard to anyone else. Why do you think they were deleted from that video when identified?
Only a butthurt Libtard asshole like you would see racism in a iconic landmark building that has been used as the backdrop of many videos and movies.

Minah Carry used it in her Christmas videos for goodness sake.

Grow the fuck up Moon Bat, Nobody has time for your racist hate mongering.

The video was very appropriate.

In the Democrat controlled big city shitholes the police were told to stand down so the Negro/Communist insurrection could go on with looting, rioting, murdering, burning and destruction.

In the rare cases the destructive Insurrectionists were arrested the fucking Democrat pieces of shit were raising bail money for the bastards.

The point of the video is that in real America we are not going to stand for that Negro/Communist crap.

It happen in my county. The goddamn Negroes tried to start some shit one night with blocking traffic and banging on cars and attempting a break in of a store. Our Sheriff put an end to it real quick and busted some heads and arrested some of the Negroes. The Country Prosecutor followed up with prosecution.

We didn't have any more of the destruction. That is how you do it.

If the Sherrif hadn't done his job he would have lost reelection. If he hadn't done his job there were a lot of armed White men very willing to protect their families and their community. That is a good thing.

[excerpt]​

You seem to have mixed several subjects together making it rather difficult to see what point you are trying to make. It is no secret that most of the great White jazz singers like Bennett and Sinatra were admirers and supporters of Black artists and Black people in general. Anti-Racist is a woke term for normal White person.

Only a butthurt Libtard asshole like you would see racism in a iconic landmark building that has been used as the backdrop of many videos and movies.

Minah Carry used it in her Christmas videos for goodness sake.

Grow the fuck up Moon Bat, Nobody has time for your racist hate mongering.
Wow. I'll bet you are wearing your cap backwards, and have tobacco juice running out the corner of your mouth, don't you?

The video was very appropriate.

In the Democrat controlled big city shitholes the police were told to stand down so the Negro/Communist insurrection could go on with looting, rioting, murdering, burning and destruction.

In the rare cases the destructive Insurrectionists were arrested the fucking Democrat pieces of shit were raising bail money for the bastards.

The point of the video is that in real America we are not going to stand for that Negro/Communist crap.

It happen in my county. The goddamn Negroes tried to start some shit one night with blocking traffic and banging on cars and attempting a break in of a store. Our Sheriff put an end to it real quick and busted some heads and arrested some of the Negroes. The Country Prosecutor followed up with prosecution.

We didn't have any more of the destruction. That is how you do it.

If the Sherrif hadn't done his job he would have lost reelection. If he hadn't done his job there were a lot of armed White men very willing to protect their families and their community. That is a good thing.
Proud of being a racist, aren't you?

I recently saw a segment on the Sunday evening show "60 Minutes" about the show he put on with Lady Gaga (I believe his last one ever) and how even though he suffered from Alzheimer's, when it came to singing and performing, he apparently was able to access those memories flawlessly.
This is, I think, important information for treating stroke, Alzheimer's and other brain injuries.

For most of us music is not front and center in our brains but, we still react when we hear familiar tunes and sing along with songs we haven't hear in decades.

I think music could help people with memory problems relearn forgotten things.

I'm a cyber guy. No training in the field but when my Grandmother (not mine but my stepdad's grandmother) was approaching her end she couldn't communicate with anyone but me. When I came to see her I would play some of her favorite music and sing or hum along. When I did she would become alert, recognize me and start talking about the music.

I believe music can help people rebuild broke neuron connections.

At least I think so.

I know this isn't the topic but I think it's important.

This is, I think, important information for treating stroke, Alzheimer's and other brain injuries.

For most of us music is not front and center in our brains but, we still react when we hear familiar tunes and sing along with songs we haven't hear in decades.

I'm a cyber guy. No training in the field but when my Grandmother (not mine but my stepdad's grandmother) was approaching her end she couldn't communicate with anyone but me. When I came to see her I would play some of her favorite music and sing or hum along. When I did she would become alert, recognize me and start talking about the music.

At least I think so.

I'm not sure if music can help rebuild brain connections, but it is clear that music is stored in a very robust part of the brain. Glen Campbell did his last tour in the full throes of Alzheimers and still played and sang beautifully. He would forget he had played a certain song and play it again but it was remarkable to see what he could still do musically while being basically helpless otherwise.

Analysis: Tony Bennett sang in a key that Jason Aldean’s song can’t reach​

Why would a song need to “reach” a key?
A singer might not have the vocal range to match another, but that has nothing to do with what key they’re singing in. Keys have nothing to do with range, they’re just scales and the chords built upon them.

At least I think so.

The story about Bennett's ability to rehearse and ultimately put on a stellar performance with Lady Gaga, recognizing her as he did when introducing her, was very heartwarming and touching, at least for me. Therefore your story about your grandmother is very much on topic and you sharing it is appreciated immensely.

Why would a song need to “reach” a key?
A singer might not have the vocal range to match another, but that has nothing to do with what key they’re singing in. Keys have nothing to do with range, they’re just scales and the chords built upon them.
It's a confusing metaphor. She compares Tony Bennett the person to Jason Aldean's song in terms of Racism being some sort of a musical scale. The analysis has interesting points, most of which do not support her supposition.

Forum List

Back