An Example of How Past Government Policy Has Helped Whites Today

Is the title of this thread. I presented not only the GI Bill but several other new deal policies. However the fact remains that whatever "individual rights" existed, black individuals were denied them. Millions of blacks at that. So at what point does the issue become one of group rights? I am quite sure that group rights would be well defined if this matter involved whites getting screwed.
You presented the WWII era GI bill along with the statement that the bill treated blacks and other races equally under the law. Then you proceeded to list all sorts of conjecture and opinion about how blacks might have been discriminated against anyway. Of course you ignore the fact that people in general (including whites) might have been discriminated against for all sorts of reasons including race. Group rights? The GI bill was all about giving benefits to veterans (including blacks) that were not granted to civilians. Discriminatory.
I presented facts that blacks were denied based on race and how it was done. Your last 2 sentences are stupid.

Racial Preferences for Whites: The Houses That Racism Built
BY LARRY ADELMAN

Thirteen years ago, my parents sold the house I grew up in. It was one of those suburban tract homes that sprouted across the nation after World War II. Our home was pleasant if undistinguished. It wasn't one of Malvina Reynolds' "little boxes made of ticky tacky" - based on a drive the singer took past Daly City, CA in the '50s. It was a ranch house on a curving, leafy street in Merrick, Long Island, 25 miles east of Manhattan, about five miles from its more famous suburban neighbor, Levittown.

After turning 65, my father wasted no time retiring. He'd purchased our house back in 1952 for $20,000 thanks to a 4 percent mortgage made possible by the Veterans Administration. Now he was considering an offer of $300,000. With the money they'd get a place in the Berkshires and winter in Florida.

Ten years later, my colleague here at California Newsreel, Cornelius, sold the house he grew up in. Cornelius' folks had also purchased a place in the early '50s in Chester, just outside Philadelphia. A few years ago, after Cornelius' father passed away, his mother wanted to move back to Virginia. Cornelius sold the home in 2000 - for $29,500.

That $270,500 gap reveals a microcosm of race in America. My family is white and Cornelius' is black.

Houses in bad neighborhoods are worth less. Weird, eh?
Except there was no basis to claim the neighborhood was bad, nor did the writer make the racist assumption you just did.

And most of you benefitted from it.

On June 22, 1944 President Roosevelt signed the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act, better known as the G.I. Bill. This law provided benefits for veterans returning from the second World War. Funds were paid for college tuition, low-cost home loans, and unemployment insurance. As in every other program during this time southern congressmen fought passage of these laws unless there were provisions that limited access to blacks. The G.I Bill was no different.

Democratic congressmen in the south fought against provisions of the GI Bill out of fear that returning black veterans might be able to use public support for their war effort to advocate against Jim Crow laws. Southern Democrats using the same tactics they used to make certain other policies in the New Deal helped as few Black people as possible, wanted benefits to be administered by the states. Mississippi Congressman John Rankin was the ringleader in that regard]. He and other Southern Democrats knew doing that would allow southern states to do what each state had been doing since the Civil Rights Cases. That would be states implementing policies full of loopholes and restrictions that would be enforced on blacks but not whites thereby ensuring the GI Bill would primarily benefit whites. Congress gave southern Democrats what they wanted.

Now before I have to hear you republicans sing that sad sorry lie about democrats, remember that republicans voted to give the southern democrats what they wanted. My father served in that war, he was from Louisiana and he did not get the benefits white soldiers got. This impacted my life and so when we speak about reparations, we're talking about policies like this and many others which came after slavery and do more so directly affect blacks living today.
Blacks have received billions in welfare
They have been paid back 100 times over
Only 4 percent of whites even owned slaves
This is not only about slavery, nor is this thread discussing slavery. Whites have received more in welfare than did blacks. Welfare also did not include payment for lost wages, destruction of property, or unnecessary death and imprisonment. Drop that argument before you get embarrassed.

None of that affected me. And i still have a job. Never killed anyone. And i never whine about self made failure while blaming it on 200,000,000 other people.
Imagine that.
50% of the violent crime in this country is made by like 8 percent of the population. Be a man and own it.
You little whiny bitch.

On June 22, 1944 President Roosevelt signed the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act, better known as the G.I. Bill. This law provided benefits for veterans returning from the second World War. Funds were paid for college tuition, low-cost home loans, and unemployment insurance. As in every other program during this time southern congressmen fought passage of these laws unless there were provisions that limited access to blacks. The G.I Bill was no different.

Democratic congressmen in the south fought against provisions of the GI Bill out of fear that returning black veterans might be able to use public support for their war effort to advocate against Jim Crow laws. Southern Democrats using the same tactics they used to make certain other policies in the New Deal helped as few Black people as possible, wanted benefits to be administered by the states. Mississippi Congressman John Rankin was the ringleader in that regard]. He and other Southern Democrats knew doing that would allow southern states to do what each state had been doing since the Civil Rights Cases. That would be states implementing policies full of loopholes and restrictions that would be enforced on blacks but not whites thereby ensuring the GI Bill would primarily benefit whites. Congress gave southern Democrats what they wanted.

Now before I have to hear you republicans sing that sad sorry lie about democrats, remember that republicans voted to give the southern democrats what they wanted. My father served in that war, he was from Louisiana and he did not get the benefits white soldiers got. This impacted my life and so when we speak about reparations, we're talking about policies like this and many others which came after slavery and do more so directly affect blacks living today.
Quit begging for money. Go get a job you lazy bum.

How many times are you going to repeat that dried up line? The US government owes us money. That's just the way it is and you repeating a dumb ass line isn't going to change that.
Youre not getting our money. Go get a job you lazy bum.

How many times are you going to repeat that dried up line? The US government owes us money. That's just the way it is and you repeating a dumb ass line isn't going to change that.
It's not your money. It's our money that's owed. Don't need a job because I worked and saved for 43 years. Get a new line wb.

None of that affected me. And i still have a job. Never killed anyone. And i never whine about self made failure while blaming it on 200,000,000 other people.
Imagine that.
50% of the violent crime in this country is made by like 8 percent of the population. Be a man and own it.
You little whiny bitch.
You benefited from it. And since I am not whining about self failure, you're going to face the truth.. Whites commit 60 percent of the violent crime every year on average. So your comment is a lie. And this means that a larger portion of the people who actually commit crimes are white. You don't compare people not committing a crime with criminals.

Is the title of this thread. I presented not only the GI Bill but several other new deal policies. However the fact remains that whatever "individual rights" existed, black individuals were denied them. Millions of blacks at that. So at what point does the issue become one of group rights? I am quite sure that group rights would be well defined if this matter involved whites getting screwed.
You presented the WWII era GI bill along with the statement that the bill treated blacks and other races equally under the law. Then you proceeded to list all sorts of conjecture and opinion about how blacks might have been discriminated against anyway. Of course you ignore the fact that people in general (including whites) might have been discriminated against for all sorts of reasons including race. Group rights? The GI bill was all about giving benefits to veterans (including blacks) that were not granted to civilians. Discriminatory.
I presented facts that blacks were denied based on race and how it was done. Your last 2 sentences are stupid.
Women were denied rights. We have them now. End of story. Move on.

Racial Preferences for Whites: The Houses That Racism Built
BY LARRY ADELMAN

Thirteen years ago, my parents sold the house I grew up in. It was one of those suburban tract homes that sprouted across the nation after World War II. Our home was pleasant if undistinguished. It wasn't one of Malvina Reynolds' "little boxes made of ticky tacky" - based on a drive the singer took past Daly City, CA in the '50s. It was a ranch house on a curving, leafy street in Merrick, Long Island, 25 miles east of Manhattan, about five miles from its more famous suburban neighbor, Levittown.

After turning 65, my father wasted no time retiring. He'd purchased our house back in 1952 for $20,000 thanks to a 4 percent mortgage made possible by the Veterans Administration. Now he was considering an offer of $300,000. With the money they'd get a place in the Berkshires and winter in Florida.

Ten years later, my colleague here at California Newsreel, Cornelius, sold the house he grew up in. Cornelius' folks had also purchased a place in the early '50s in Chester, just outside Philadelphia. A few years ago, after Cornelius' father passed away, his mother wanted to move back to Virginia. Cornelius sold the home in 2000 - for $29,500.

That $270,500 gap reveals a microcosm of race in America. My family is white and Cornelius' is black.

Houses in bad neighborhoods are worth less. Weird, eh?
Except there was no basis to claim the neighborhood was bad, nor did the writer make the racist assumption you just did.

Except there was no basis to claim the neighborhood was bad,

Sure there was.

As of Census 2010, the racial makeup of the city was 74.7% African American, 17.2% White, 9.0% Hispanic or Latino of any race, 0.6% Asian, 0.4% Native American, 0.1% Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander, 3.9% from other races, and 3.0% from two or more races.

1595257051022.png

1595257069448.png

And most importantly......

Cornelius' folks had also purchased a place in the early '50s in Chester, just outside Philadelphia. A few years ago, after Cornelius' father passed away, his mother wanted to move back to Virginia. Cornelius sold the home in 2000 - for $29,500.

It's not your money. It's our money that's owed. Don't need a job because I worked and saved for 43 years. Get a new line wb.
Oh, so it wont come from people who pay taxes? Im ok with that, but you arent a getting a dime of tax payer money. Feel free to acquire donations.

It is a shame that we can show some of these whites laws and policies by this government that gave them things while excluding others and they will still deny how much the government has given to whites. It's a shame that some whites here grew up in suburbs in homes built with government money and declare how they have never benefitted from anything. It is pathetic how in any discussion whether slavery is a part of it or not that we have to hear the whining about what you never owned.

What is responsibility white folks? Something for everybody else but you?

I have worked all 59 years of my life, paid or volunteer, on issues affecting blacks. I have fathered no children out of wedlock, but I mentored young black men whose fathers weren't there and some whose fathers were. I have never sold drugs, been in a gang or served time. But I helped create programs and activities to help those at risk. I went to college and earned degrees. Worked for 43 years, never been on welfare and I have to listen or read daily ignorant racist garbage written by a bunch of low foreheaded, uneducated Jethros and Ellie Maes.

I have taken responsibility, none of you racists have. It's time you did so. The government has given you everything you have and that's a fact.

Blacks have paid taxes for things we didn't/don't get. So all whites trying to use the argument about what whites are paying for can shut that up too.

I have worked all 59 years of my life, paid or volunteer, on issues affecting blacks. I have fathered no children out of wedlock, but I mentored young black men whose fathers weren't there and some whose fathers were. I have never sold drugs, been in a gang or served time. But I helped create programs and activities to help those at risk. I went to college and earned degrees. Worked for 43 years, never been on welfare

Ever been accused of acting white?

This is not only about slavery, nor is this thread discussing slavery. Whites have received more in welfare than did blacks. Welfare also did not include payment for lost wages, destruction of property, or unnecessary death and imprisonment. Drop that argument before you get embarrassed.

Free blacks had just as many slaves per capita
You just want a free hand out

Free blacks had just as many slaves per capita
You just want a free hand out
This thread has nothing to do with slavery and free blacks did not have as many slaves per anything. Now when you understand that most free slaves bout spouses, children and relatives, the statement you made becomes disingenuous. And when you consider the many free handouts whites have been given, your second sentence makes you into an ignorant joke.

Read the Title of the Thread fool
I started the thread son. The OP is about the GI Bill. Not slavery. But since you ran your mouth.

Whites in America have benefitted from a series of consistent affirmative action programs starting on July 4th, 1776. Yet many whites have not seen it that way. It is difficult to review the history of this country and not come to that conclusion, but that is all part of the madness. When all the laws provide for your advancement based on race from the beginning of this country, there is no sane argument to be made by whites about the unfairness of considering race as a qualification for anything. It is just that simple.

The National Housing Act was a law passed by Congress and signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1934. This law created the Federal Housing Administration or the FHA. The National Housing Act is the probably the policy that has the greatest impact on individual wealth accumulation in modern America. Unfortunately, the formation of the FHA and its guaranteed loan program only worked to increase white advantage. This law expanded the power of the federal government which helped it monitor the American economy. Many of today’s republicans complaining about how government expansion is wrong, benefitted by this government expansion.

I say this because the FHA able to create a guaranteed home loan program whereby potential home buyers could get bank loans guaranteed against default by the government. But the government had standards and most of those standards were based on racist beliefs.

Between 1934 to 1968, the FHA implemented and put into practice a policy called redlining. It began by publishing The Underwriting Manual which set the guidelines real estate agents used to assess the value and creditworthiness of different homes and neighborhoods. This manual promoted racist real estate practices by defending racially restrictive covenants and segregated communities. Due to this manual, the FHA was able to establish a neighborhood grading system based purely of false racist perceptions.

Redlining was the name of that grading system. Redlining has been well documented so there is no need for me to go into a long analysis of the policy. What I will say is that redlining was based on a premise of neighborhood decline caused by blacks that has never been proven. To this day blacks are accused of depreciating neighborhood values still without proof.

The Social Security Act of 1935 created the Social Security program, unemployment insurance administered by the states and assistance to single mothers with children. Today most Americans love the program. However, when the act was signed, the law was structured to exclude occupations that were mainly occupied by blacks. When President Roosevelt signed the law, 65 percent of blacks in America were ineligible. So for years a majority of blacks were excluded from social security savings and could not get unemployment.

The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 created the minimum wage and time and a half overtime pay for working over forty hours a week. Child labor was eliminated by this act. All these were good things but… This is the trouble with so many things in the history of America. There is always a but. Being imperfect, we all have buts and not just the ones we sit on. Yet in some cases the word but comes before critical facts that change how we see things. In this case, Roosevelt had to make a compromise with southern representatives in order to get the votes he needed. So he decided that industries where the majority of workers were black would be excluded from the regulations. Because of this, blacks were paid less than the minimum wage.

The issue goes far past slavery you dumb SOB. And we all have felt the effects of these policies.
Whites founded and established the US. Go start your own country and then you can have what you want. We can't judge yesterday by today's standards, things were different back then. Deal with it, because you ain't getting squat. My ancestors not only didn't have slaves, but also had nothing to do with the GI bill, Jim Crow, or any thing else like that.
Shut the fuck up. I will judge yesterday by the standards written in the Declaration of Independence and Constitution. Whites didn't found shit. And your ancestors benefitted from Jim Crow and every discriminatory policy this nation produced.
Bullspit! Past racism doesn't doesn't justify your present racism. Becoming racist puts the lie to your claim to be against it.
I have no present racism. You are using the default tactic white racists use when evidence is presented that shows everything they whine about others getting actually have only been given to them.
You claim, but fail to show, evidence. If you believe, as you apparently do, that your race deserves things that the other races do not because of that race you are a racist no matter what color you are. Black Americans have had things much better than blacks in Africa, are you planning to pay them reparations? How about American Indians? How about all the whites that died to free the slaves? If you think anybody is going to give you money because somebody else might have done something to somebody you never even met sometime in the past, you are an idiot.
Oh yes, I have proven it. American Indians get reparations annually. Whites did not die to free the slaves and those whites benefitted from racially discriminatory laws and policies. It is apparent you are ignorant relative to this topic and so why don't you read these books;
  1. American Aparthied
  2. Color of Law
  3. White Rage
  4. When Affirmative Action was White
  5. Racism Without Racists
  6. The New Jim Crow
After you have done this, we can have a better discussion on this subject.
You are delusional. Whites certainly did die to free the slaves.

Of course some did. To allow slavery to expand throughout the country, would have put the white labor force at risk.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Many blacks that did get VA housing benefits were also redlined and often attacked when househunting. My parents faced that.

"You are delusional. Whites certainly did die to free the slaves."

Wrong. Whites fought to save the union and blacks died in the civil war and every other war. My uncle Billy died to saved whites from Hitler, so drop the dumb shit lady. Besides the OP is about the GI Bill and not slavery.

Forum List

Back