America’s 10 worst states to live and work in for 2023

California, Oregon, and Washington states aren't for poor people. They are for the working class and that's the reason why the poor are moving to Texas junkyards where they can fit in.

It's no secret that the Texas quality of life has been squandered away to make room for industry. The choice is simple for those who can afford a decent lifestyle or better near the ocean.

Poor migrants go to California for a good reason. Socially responsible governments deal with the issues before they become unmanageable and out of control.

Fwiw, some come to Vancouver and other desirable Canadian cities on the coast too. But their presence is being managed in a socially responsible way.

All Red states. There are reasons for that. Some are the stifling of freedom. Some are government intrusion into personal life and decisions. Some are horrific infrastructure, due to Republican neglect. Some are terrible public services, from electrical grid to policing to the absence of hospitals for long distances.

• A critical nationwide worker shortage has companies locating and expanding in places where workers want to live, but culture war politics are complicating the equation.
  • CNBC’s annual ranking of state business climates considers Life, Health and Inclusion as one of ten categories of competitiveness.
  • The study measures quality of life issues including crime, health care, childcare and health care, as well as inclusive policies on discrimination and reproductive rights.

With nearly twice as many job openings nationwide as there are workers available to fill them, companies are setting up shop where the workers are.

Each year, as part of our overall assessment of state business climates, CNBC’s America’s Top States for Business study considers how welcoming each state is to workers and their families.

Life, Health and Inclusion is one of the study’s ten categories of competitiveness. And this year, with the nationwide worker shortage so severe, the category is taking on increased importance in our methodology.

We consider multiple quality of life factors, including crime rates, environmental quality, and health care. We also look at the quality and availability of childcare, which is one of the most important factors in getting parents back into the workforce.

1. Texas
  2. Oklahoma
  3. Louisiana
  4. South Carolina
  5. Alabama
  6. Missouri
  7. Indiana
  8. Tennessee
  9. Arkansas
  10. Florida

There are explanations for each choice at the link.

Must be why half those states are among the fastest growing in the country......

All Red states. There are reasons for that. Some are the stifling of freedom. Some are government intrusion into personal life and decisions. Some are horrific infrastructure, due to Republican neglect. Some are terrible public services, from electrical grid to policing to the absence of hospitals for long distances.

• A critical nationwide worker shortage has companies locating and expanding in places where workers want to live, but culture war politics are complicating the equation.
  • CNBC’s annual ranking of state business climates considers Life, Health and Inclusion as one of ten categories of competitiveness.
  • The study measures quality of life issues including crime, health care, childcare and health care, as well as inclusive policies on discrimination and reproductive rights.

With nearly twice as many job openings nationwide as there are workers available to fill them, companies are setting up shop where the workers are.

Each year, as part of our overall assessment of state business climates, CNBC’s America’s Top States for Business study considers how welcoming each state is to workers and their families.

Life, Health and Inclusion is one of the study’s ten categories of competitiveness. And this year, with the nationwide worker shortage so severe, the category is taking on increased importance in our methodology.

We consider multiple quality of life factors, including crime rates, environmental quality, and health care. We also look at the quality and availability of childcare, which is one of the most important factors in getting parents back into the workforce.

1. Texas
  2. Oklahoma
  3. Louisiana
  4. South Carolina
  5. Alabama
  6. Missouri
  7. Indiana
  8. Tennessee
  9. Arkansas
  10. Florida

There are explanations for each choice at the link.
Just one explanation fits them all

CNBC is hopelessly lib

California, Oregon, and Washington states aren't for poor people. They are for the working class and that's the reason why the poor are moving to Texas junkyards where they can fit in.

It's no secret that the Texas quality of life has been squandered away to make room for industry. The choice is simple for those who can afford a decent lifestyle or better near the ocean.

Poor migrants go to California for a good reason. Socially responsible governments deal with the issues before they become unmanageable and out of control.

Fwiw, some come to Vancouver and other desirable Canadian cities on the coast too. But their presence is being managed in a socially responsible way.

That's a fucking joke. You don't have a clue...

I lived in California most of my life. I was "the working class." I barely scraped by most of the time because the cost of living... the taxes, the high cost of property, the lousy governing. My kids live there still. They are "the working class" and barely afford the rent of a one bedroom apartment next to the Van Nuys airport.

Holy hell, where do you get off talking about shit you know nothing about?

I like South Carolina.

I can't say that the reasoning behind putting the state on that list is off base, but it's not stuff I have, thus far, experienced personally.

And I like New Mexico as well, but it's not on the list, I just noticed a couple of haters mentioned it...

I can't say that the reasoning behind putting the state on that list is off base, but it's not stuff I have, thus far, experienced personally.
Weaknesses: Health, Worker Protections, Inclusiveness, Crime, Voting Rights

You probably are no longer affected by worker protections. Inclusiveness isn't an issue for you. As a White man you probably have no issues voting. So, crime and healthcare are the only things that might possibly affect you.

it doesn't mention infrastructure, but I know that the roads suck in SC, especially I-20.

Again, what does people moving to a state have to do with a state having bad healthcare, infrastructure, childcare services, etc.?

I'll give you time to try to figure it out.
Why are people flocking to these places if they suck? I’ll give you a little time to figure that out.

How many states did you live in?
And do you have to have cancer to do research about cancer?

Six states total.

And the one thing it has taught me is that you can't make a general statement about a state.

Missouri is a beautiful state. Especially down around Table Rock Lake. The around the Lake of the Ozarks is also beautiful.

St. Louis is a S-hole. At lease East St. Louis (in Illinois) and the downtown area are (or were) full of burned out building. But if you get out to St. Charles, it is absolutely fantastic.

KCK Mo is also a S-hole, but the surrounding suburbs like Lee's Summit are much different.

So what makes it a S-hole ?

And if you've done research, you'll share it. Just making a statement is pretty meaningless.

Hope that helps.

Weaknesses: Health, Worker Protections, Inclusiveness, Crime, Voting Rights

You probably are no longer affected by worker protections. Inclusiveness isn't an issue for you. As a White man you probably have no issues voting. So, crime and healthcare are the only things that might possibly affect you.

it doesn't mention infrastructure, but I know that the roads suck in SC, especially I-20.

Greenville is very lovely place.

Why are people flocking to these places if they suck? I’ll give you a little time to figure that out.
There is no correlation. You're smarter than this, but you occasionally play dumb to stay in your tribe.

You think Americans are smart? You think they research childcare when they are looking to move? You think they are researching the electrical grid?
4i6Ckte.gif
It's usually for a job opportunity, or retirement.

Greenville is very lovely place.
I'm sure it is. I've heard that Sumpter is a nice place, too. I've spent time in the Aiken area and it's rundown and depressed, with bad roads, few stores, little economic opportunity.

I'm sure it is. I've heard that Sumpter is a nice place, too. I've spent time in the Aiken area and it's rundown and depressed, with bad roads, few stores, little economic opportunity.

So, how do we declare a state an S-hole ?

They all have good and bad areas it seems.

People call California an S-hole. I don't know why. For one thing, it is about six states. It is very diverse in so many ways.

There is no correlation. You're smarter than this, but you occasionally play dumb to stay in your tribe.

You think Americans are smart? You think they research childcare when they are looking to move? You think they are researching the electrical grid?
4i6Ckte.gif
It's usually for a job opportunity, or retirement.

All of that could be fine in where you are moving in a state.

They might transfer to you another location in the same state and you'd decline.

That's a fucking joke. You don't have a clue...

I lived in California most of my life. I was "the working class." I barely scraped by most of the time because the cost of living... the taxes, the high cost of property, the lousy governing. My kids live there still. They are "the working class" and barely afford the rent of a one bedroom apartment next to the Van Nuys airport.

Holy hell, where do you get off talking about shit you know nothing about?
You and your kids are the poor in California standards. Ya'all belong in Texas or Alabama.

You and your kids are the poor in California standards. Ya'all belong in Texas or Alabama.
Where they can make less and wind up no better off than they were in California except now they have to live in Texas or Alabama.

Forum List

Back