Americans still not interested in electric cars!

:oops8::oops-28::oops-28:

Electric cars are failing to woo the average American

Now if you talk to a climate crusader, you'd think EV's are flying out the showroom door. Nope.... Americans couldn't be any more disinterested in buying these things. Only people making more than 100k are buying them and sale #s remain laughable. FORD still sells more F150 trucks in 3 months than all EV sales COMBINED:spinner:.

What does it mean?

It means people are concerned about climate change, but have no interest in opening up their wallet to do anything about it. Clearly the science all the climate crusader bozo' s angst about is not having any effect on people in the real world. :bigbed:Tough shit on them.

My son purchased a Chevy Bolt in December. Eleven were delivered on the weekend before his purchase, and on the following Tuesday, only one was not sold, and that is the one my son owns.

Maybe in a Red State people will believe you, but in Northern California, in my neighborhood and adjoining towns, electric cars and hybrids are numerous. M. has yet to spend a dime on gas or oil changes, and gets over 250 miles on a single charge. His commute is only 3 miles, round trip, and as a get about vehicle it is a dream to drive; fast, powerful and with leg room aplenty, and all the safety features one would need.

Americans (and other nationalities, unfortunately) still interested in unsustainable energy consumption by unnecessarily over sized/heavy vehicles for no practical purpose. Ego trumps sense, again. Somehow, the estimated millions who did from air pollution do not weigh on the moral conscience of accelerator crushing motorists. Worse, there are those that ridicule reasonable people for a more modest choice.
That's the "real" world.

Actually the real world is.....Americans love big cars always have and always will. Nobody wants those faggy electric vehicles. C'mon now..... some people just can't think on the margin.

"faggy" lol If you think a luxury car that will go from 0-60 in under 2.5 seconds is faggy........

The reason there are so many more F150s sold is partly the price. The Tesla is expensive. But it was the best way to enter the market.

And there has been serious pushback against them since they started. There are 13 states that will not allow Tesla to open their direct sales centers. They are required to use a separate dealership.

But 99.9% of Americans can't afford the 130k Tesla S and most that do spend that kind of money want a car that stands out. Let's face it the Tesla S looks like an Altima and when the road gets curvy the Tesla s ends up in the woods. Ask most American men if they'd rather have a Raptor AND a GT350 Mustang or a Tesla, we sure as shit should know what they're going to say.

You kinda tend to the ecentric bro.... like Old Rocks.... non-conformists....which is cool enough but most Americans don't go that way.

The reason I say the Tesla marketed it the right way is because who can afford a 2nd (or 3rd) car with no track record? The higher end car buyer. They did not market the Tesla to people who would want a Raptor and a Mustang. They went after the customers who were buying high end BMWs, Mercedes, and Land Rovers.

And I don't know why you think the Tesla can't drive a curvy road. I have driven one, and it drove the curves like it was on a rail. And the acceleration made it feel like a ride at Six Flags, but with comfortable seats.

You would probably think any of the Lexus IS luxury models handle well too!!:113:

I've never driven a Lexus of any stripe. But I have driven other luxury cars that handled about the same. None of them handled like the TR6 I had years ago. But few ever will.

Now if you talk to a climate crusader, you'd think EV's are flying out the showroom door. Nope.... Americans couldn't be any more disinterested in buying these things. Only people making more than 100k are buying them and sale #s remain laughable. FORD still sells more F150 trucks in 3 months than all EV sales COMBINED:spinner:.

What does it mean?

It means people are concerned about climate change, but have no interest in opening up their wallet to do anything about it. Clearly the science all the climate crusader bozo' s angst about is not having any effect on people in the real world. :bigbed:Tough shit on them.

Not sure I see the connection between concern for climate change and buying an electric car. One pollutes only when I start the engine, the other pollutes when the electricity is generated to charge the batteries and the batteries are a major source of pollution in manufacturing and recycling.

Electric cars are limited in range and you can't find anywhere to charge them.

Assuming the above are solved, what would make the electric car worthwhile is that since an electric motor can last almost forever (no friction, rubbing parts or wear), and the batteries replaceable, make the bodies plastic so that the cars have a minimum 30 years life expectancy. Make them that rather than outright purchase them, you lease them from the state or somewhere. One key to making them more affordable is to remove them as a "consumable" which must be replaced every few years.

Nah...most Prius drivers are these hopeless tree-huggers who scoff at me when I pull up next to them in my Coyote Mustang.

We all know the type >>

Americans (and other nationalities, unfortunately) still interested in unsustainable energy consumption by unnecessarily over sized/heavy vehicles for no practical purpose. Ego trumps sense, again. Somehow, the estimated millions who did from air pollution do not weigh on the moral conscience of accelerator crushing motorists. Worse, there are those that ridicule reasonable people for a more modest choice.
That's the "real" world.

Actually the real world is.....Americans love big cars always have and always will. Nobody wants those faggy electric vehicles. C'mon now..... some people just can't think on the margin.

Riiiiiight...nobody wants EV cars. Clearly you have not a clue what you are talking about.

That is why almost 400,000 people put down a $1,000 deposit (including my brother's wife) on the Model 3 when it was announced.

Disrupting Demand: Tesla Model 3 Deposits Surprised Even Elon Musk - Motor Trend

And 'faggy electric vehicles'?

The Tesla Model S P100 does 0-60 in 2.28 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 10.5 seconds. The base Tesla S does 0-60 in 5 flat.

Disrupting Demand: Tesla Model 3 Deposits Surprised Even Elon Musk - Motor Trend

That will - I believe - blow the doors off of any Corvette to ever leave the factory.

I love V8 RWD cars/trucks. I have owned 4 Camaro's, 3 Mustang's, 3 'vette's (including a ZR/1), 2 Challenger's, 1 Firebird...all with V8's (and a Dodge Ram SRT10 - the Viper truck).
And I would take a top-of-the-line Tesla S ANY DAY. Not only are they stonking fast...but the power comes on instantly.

The problem with EV's is Lithium Ion is not the answer...the batteries made of this simply cost too much money. They need a new, cheaper type of battery (and they are working on them).

If/when they come up with one...and they can start selling EV's AT A PROFIT for $20K with a 200 mile range (and they will one day)? I guarantee you they will fly out the showroom doors. By the millions.

Here is some free advice...don't make ignorant statements and you will not sound ignorant.

That's the "real" world.
Americans (and other nationalities, unfortunately) still interested in unsustainable energy consumption by unnecessarily over sized/heavy vehicles
For an EV where does that unsustainable energy come from? Coal fired electrical plants...Without those do you run your A/C in your house, or drive your 250 miles max with one charge?

We have solar panels on our roof.

What does it mean?

My son purchased a Chevy Bolt in December. Eleven were delivered on the weekend before his purchase, and on the following Tuesday, only one was not sold, and that is the one my son owns.

Maybe in a Red State people will believe you, but in Northern California, in my neighborhood and adjoining towns, electric cars and hybrids are numerous. M. has yet to spend a dime on gas or oil changes, and gets over 250 miles on a single charge. His commute is only 3 miles, round trip, and as a get about vehicle it is a dream to drive; fast, powerful and with leg room aplenty, and all the safety features one would need.

Lol....they are "aplenty" but compared to what s0n?:2up:

What I really find pitiful is the amount of shit that is given to Tesla and the people who like them. How long has it been since a new American car company started up? The Tesla was the absolute leader in EV technology worldwide. I get not wanting to spend the large amount of money, and not wanting the car. But why all the hate and vitriol spewed toward an American company who, not only led the way in the field, but allowed other companies to use their inventions and innovations. And many who have been so anti-Tesla are also the ones who scream "Buy America".
What I really find pitiful is the amount of shit that is given to Tesla
Did you know that Elon Musk borrowed 5 billion dollars of our Taxes, and still cant make a fucking profit on his shite EV's. He was able to borrow the money because Obummer wanted electric cars while necessarily driving up energy costs. Stop covering for the liberal asshole who has much more uber wealth than you, you fucking hypocrite.

I am not covering for anything. The key word is "Loans". The gov't didn't GIVE Tesla anything. They loaned money to help an innovative company survive.

And how much of the loans you are crying about were paid back?

And having 26% of the states not allowing a car manufacturer to sell their cars directly didn't help.
How much of the loan is Tesla paying back....Anytime now.......

That's the "real" world.

Riiiiiight...nobody wants EV cars. Clearly you have not a clue what you are talking about.

That is why almost 400,000 people put down a $1,000 deposit (including my brother's wife) on the Model 3 when it was announced.

The Tesla Model S P100 does 0-60 in 2.28 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 10.5 seconds. The base Tesla S does 0-60 in 5 flat.

That will - I believe - blow the doors off of any Corvette to ever leave the factory.

I love V8 RWD cars/trucks. I have owned 4 Camaro's, 3 Mustang's, 3 'vette's, 2 Challenger's, 1 Firebird...all with V8's (and a Dodge Ram SRT10 - the Viper truck).
And I would take a top-of-the-line Tesla S ANY DAY. Not only are they stonking fast...but the power comes on instantly.

The problem with EV's is Lithium Ion is not the answer...the batteries made of this simply cost too much money. They need a new, cheaper type of battery (and they are working on them).

If/when they come up with one...and they can start selling EV's AT A PROFIT for $20K with a 200 mile range (and they will one day)? I guarantee you they will fly out the showroom doors. By the millions.

Here is some free advice...don't make ignorant statements and you will not sound ignorant.

Whatever you say s0n..... but would you like me to post up total EV sales versus conventional vehicle sales figures? And then maybe come back to the whole ignorant discussion? :iyfyus.jpg:

You listen to too much NPR s0n!!

What I really find pitiful is the amount of shit that is given to Tesla and the people who like them. How long has it been since a new American car company started up? The Tesla was the absolute leader in EV technology worldwide. I get not wanting to spend the large amount of money, and not wanting the car. But why all the hate and vitriol spewed toward an American company who, not only led the way in the field, but allowed other companies to use their inventions and innovations. And many who have been so anti-Tesla are also the ones who scream "Buy Ame
rica".

The answer to that is easy dude....Tesla represents an infringement on tradition. What I don't get is the people who don't understand that. Americans who see people all giddy about electric cars also believe them to be the same kind of people who want to get rid of all the statues and do away with the 2nd Amendment. Many people out there truly believe there are those who want an end to traditional American culture.... electric cars are somewhat representative of that. I know a boatload of men who wouldn't be caught dead in electric car. Millions and millions of people attend car shows every year.... and how many of them would champion the electric car. Maybe 17? There is just a pronounced misunderstanding by some about cars and their relation to the American culture..... I'm just glad those people are part of the vast minority.

And Tesla is a threat to all car manufacturers? What a load of shit. If you don't want an EV, don't buy one. But to claim that all the effort to see Tesla gone is simply to support the American tradition of V8s and car shows is pure bullshit.

What about the American tradition of innovation? I guess that isn't important now?
What about the American tradition of supporting American companies? Is that just not as much fun?

EVs will not be going away, even if Tesla goes under. But if Tesla goes under, the better EVs will be sold by Mercedes and BMW, not by American car manufacturers. So, even if they are built here, the profits leave the country.
Do you know that GM, used to sell Hummer's and Saturn model cars? Those were the best profitable cars put out by GM. Hummers didn't follow Obummers rules, and Saturn were built without union members. Both have been shut down by the liberals....So much for CHOICE....

What does it mean?

Lol....they are "aplenty" but compared to what s0n?:2up:

I haven't surveyed the number compared to what, nor have you. Of the cars I see around the Tri Valley who have license plates that begin with 7 or 8, it is easy to spot hybrids and all electric cars in every parking lot/garage and on the roads. Granted, the Tri Valley is an area where incomes are mostly more than double of the average person, and homes of seven figures are in the majority.

Last edited:
Again what we see here is the faulty thinking in the modern progressive. They just never came to understand the meaning of the bell curve.... that they are still shocked that Trump won is clear evidence of that. So is this thought from progressives that people are obsessed about climate change when the fact is no one is giving a shit about it and the evidence of that is staggering. We also see it in the progressives obsession with identity politics.... they think it is everything with the American voter but come election time it's a prolific loser. Again I pronounced misunderstanding of the bell curve as it applies to American culture.

Having said that go go go!!!:113::113::2up:

That's the "real" world.

I love V8 RWD cars/trucks. I have owned 4 Camaro's, 3 Mustang's, 3 'vette's, 2 Challenger's, 1 Firebird...all with V8's (and a Dodge Ram SRT10 - the Viper truck).

Whatever you say s0n..... but would you like me to post up total EV sales versus conventional vehicle sales figures? And then maybe come back to the whole ignorant discussion? :iyfyus.jpg:

LOL...Hello!?!

You typed...'Nobody wants those faggy electric vehicles.'

Answer us this brainiac...how can 400,000 Americans put down a deposit for a Tesla 3 when 'nobody wants' EV's?

Well....?

And after you don't answer that one...show us all the proof you have that 'Americans love big cars always have and always will'?

You sound like some ignorant, old fart who longs for the 1950's.

Again what we see here is the faulty thinking in the modern progressive. They just never came to understand the meaning of the bell curve.... that they are still shocked that Trump won is clear evidence of that. So is this thought from progressives that people are obsessed about climate change when the fact is no one is giving a shit about it and the evidence of that is staggering. We also see it in the progressives obsession with identity politics.... they think it is everything with the American voter but come election time it's a prolific loser. Again I pronounced misunderstanding of the bell curve as it applies to American culture.

As usual from The Kook, off topic and an opinion based on bigotry, sans facts.

Ford will have hybrid versions of thier entire vehicle line by 2022, and electric only versions of the focus, mustang, and a small SUV's yet un-named.

The current US population does not trust hybrids or EV's , doesn't want to pay the premium price, doesn't want to deal with the limited range on EV's or the charging times.
Doesn't want to deal with battery replacements cost or excessive tire wear. EV's only function well in urban environments, they are at a distinct disadvantage in rural r semi-rural environments.

As these issue get improved upon and prices drop. people will buy. Tesla has yet to prove they can mass produce a vehicles to industry standards, AKA the model 3

That's the "real" world.

LOL...Hello!?!

Answer us this brainiac...how can 400,000 Americans put down a deposit for a Tesla 3 when 'nobody wants' EV's?

Well....?

And after you don't answer that one...show us all the proof you have that 'Americans love big cars always have and always will'?

He is. He still thinks gas ought to be .23 cents a gallon and leaded.

He is. He still thinks gas ought to be .23 cents a gallon and leaded, and large V-8's fitted with glasspack mufflers. I bet he still keeps a pack of Lucky Strikes rolled up in this T-Shirt sleeve.

Ford will have hybrid versions of thier entire vehicle line by 2022, and electric only versions of the focus, mustang, and a small SUV's yet un-named.

The current US population does not trust hybrids or EV's , doesn't want to pay the premium price, doesn't want to deal with the limited range on EV's or the charging times.
Doesn't want to deal with battery replacements cost or excessive tire wear. EV's only function well in urban environments, they are at a distinct disadvantage in rural r semi-rural environments.

As these issue get improved upon and prices drop. people will buy. Tesla has yet to prove they can mass produce a vehicles to industry standards, AKA the model 3

Have you ever driven an all-electric vehicle? How about a hybrid? My son's Bolt is fast and gets 250 miles on a four hour charge. I own a RAV4 Hybrid, and it has the get up and go necessary to .drive from the Bay Area to Tahoe with same alacrity of a Ford F-150 but with a much lower gas bill.

Total sales of ALL EV's are still tiny with that $7500 buying subsidy ending soon and running out of wealthier buyers.

From HERE
The growth in US electric vehicle (EV) sales has actually been slower than the growth of Ford F-Series pickup truck sales since 2012.

United States Vehicle Sales
Ford F-Series All EV’s Ford F-Series minus EV’s
2012 645,316 52,607 592,709
2013 763,402 97,507 665,895
2014 753,851 122,438 631,413
2015 780,354 116,099 664,255
2016 820,799 156,614 664,185
2017 896,764 199,826 696,938

Meanwhile the BUYING incentive is quite large with that buying subsidy the government offers. From the office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy,

Electric Vehicles: Tax Credits and Other Incentives

Excerpt:

"The federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax credit is for $2,500 to $7,500 per new EV purchased for use in the U.S. The size of the tax credit depends on the size of the vehicle and its battery capacity. To find out specific tax credit amounts for individual vehicles, visit FuelEconomy.gov’s Tax Credits for Electric Vehicles and Tax Credits for Plug-in Hybrids pages. This tax credit will be available until 200,000 qualified EVs have been sold in the United States by each manufacturer, at which point the credit begins to phase out for that manufacturer. Currently, no manufacturers have been phased out yet."

Despite all the help to buying an EV, Ford Trucks ALONE maintains it selling lead over ALL the EV's sales.

That's the "real" world.

LOL...Hello!?!

Well....?

That is why almost 400,000 people put down a $1,000 deposit (including my brother's wife) on the Model 3 when it was announced
On another post it was said that 1% of the Muslim population goes out and murders innocent men, women and children, not very many killers. Yet 1% of a billion is 10 million people. 400,000 EV buyers out of the 330,000,000 US citizens comes out to .00121212. Talk about a miniscule amount of people. Shame that Muslim killers aren't as few as EV buyers...

What does it mean?

Not sure I see the connection between concern for climate change and buying an electric car. One pollutes only when I start the engine, the other pollutes when the electricity is generated to charge the batteries and the batteries are a major source of pollution in manufacturing and recycling.

Electric cars are limited in range and you can't find anywhere to charge them.

Assuming the above are solved, what would make the electric car worthwhile is that since an electric motor can last almost forever (no friction, rubbing parts or wear), and the batteries replaceable, make the bodies plastic so that the cars have a minimum 30 years life expectancy. Make them that rather than outright purchase them, you lease them from the state or somewhere. One key to making them more affordable is to remove them as a "consumable" which must be replaced every few years.

Nah...most Prius drivers are these hopeless tree-huggers who scoff at me when I pull up next to them in my Coyote Mustang.

We all know the type >>

Well, clearly, two mistakes were made. First, they should have grabbed that self-appointed bitch by the shirt and held her head in the door so they could slam the door on it. Then thrown her in the back, taken her out and duct taped her butt naked to a lamp post on the highway as the triggered liberal she is who thinks it her place to tell others how to live their lives. Second, upon leaving, they should have driven the truck with its high-blotation, high-voidance tires over her Prius and flattened it.

Have you ever driven an all-electric vehicle? How about a hybrid? My son's Bolt is fast and gets 250 miles on a four hour charge. I own a RAV4 Hybrid, and it has the get up and go necessary to .drive from the Bay Area to Tahoe with same alacrity of a Ford F-150 but with a much lower gas bill.

You are a strange one aren't you?, sure I driven an EV so what, take you son's bolt 400 mile in 6 hours one way, as 8 million families will do this on Memorial day weekend, loaded up with all their gear. I'll take my 2021 F150 hybrid towing 8,000 lbs. with 1000 lbs. of people and gear, try that with you RAV4 Hybrid and talk about alacrity.

You should of just got a Tahoe hybrid, I'm don't understand your zeal about your hybrid.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back