American Culture Then and Now

The 1950s were a prosperous time for many Americans. And a good time to be an American.

As great as it was, I wouldn't want to go back.

I can remember the roller rinks and drive in theatres, Also taking the bus downtown to watch movies at The Fox Theatre.
It was very safe back in late 50s and early 60s, last bus was at midnight. Also, friends and I rode the bus to work, after changing birthdays on birth certificates, which everyone knew.

The 1950s were a prosperous time for many Americans. And a good time to be an American.

As great as it was, I wouldn't want to go back.

Wish the younger generation had it so good. Not many gangs or drugs to speak of, mostly then it was Italian Mafias mostly up north. Not too many kids involved like today.

Catholic boarding schools still going strong. The government forcing sterilization on Native women. Violence against my black brothers. Nah. I'm good.

The video doesn't make a great case for the 50s being a 'turning point,' but it does show that the average new house price was about 2 or 3 years the average salary; now, it's more like seven. The average car was about four to eight months of salary; now it's almost a full year. So yeah, the economy sure was good.

It was less than wonderful for those Americans who were anything but straight, white, Christian, and male, though.

The 50s had more good going on than bad, the people were safer, economically sound for even much of the poor and more things for all ages to do.
We had less violent entertainment, less suicides and poverty.
We did have poor Americans of all races, but they too had a better life than most have today. Half the nation wasn't on legal and illegal drugs.
Indians didn't think land should be owned and the Trible wars between them was continuous. None of us were perfect.
Our kids were safe in their schools.
I was a child then and was reminiscing about things. I don't remember anyone being abused although I know some of all races were. Dance without the least bit of worry of being killed, robbed or vandalized.
We could go to local lakes, community center's.
Unless you actually lived in that era, I can't see how you would know other than what you've been told.
Speaking of myself and mine I could only hope and pray my grandkids and young of all races could have it so good as ALL Americans did back then.

The 50s had more good going on than bad, the people were safer, economically sound for even much of the poor and more things for all ages to do.
We had less violent entertainment, less suicides and poverty.
We did have poor Americans of all races, but they too had a better life than most have today. Half the nation wasn't on legal and illegal drugs.
Indians didn't think land should be owned and the Trible wars between them was continuous. None of us were perfect.
Our kids were safe in their schools.
I was a child then and was reminiscing about things. I don't remember anyone being abused although I know some of all races were. Dance without the least bit of worry of being killed, robbed or vandalized.
We could go to local lakes, community center's.
Unless you actually lived in that era, I can't see how you would know other than what you've been told.
Speaking of myself and mine I could only hope and pray my grandkids and young of all races could have it so good as ALL Americans did back then.

ALL? Even the ones refused service at lunch counters and stores? Even he ones beaten by their spouse and having it ignored? Even for the women who wanted to be more than a housewife?

The 50s had the baby boom.
The 60s had cultural turmoil.
The 70s had disco.
The 80s had ....what are the 80's known for? punk rock? MTV?
The 90s had the computer boom.
The 2000s had the internet boom.
I think that we peaked right around 2000.
We seem to be in a stagnate time period nowadays.
The best pop music was in the 60s and 70s and 80s.
The music today stinks.
Maybe the 80s was the best decade.

Catholic boarding schools still going strong. The government forcing sterilization on Native women. Violence against my black brothers. Nah. I'm good.

Mostly half-truths and lies, violence and crime were also a product of much division, just be glad you weren't in Africa this past decade when the 'Tire Necklaces 'came out. And be glad you weren't a slave in Africa in the 1900s or even today. Or an Indian when horrible persecutions were being done by other tribes.
All races have problems with their history and ancestors. All of us have done evil to others since time began.
This thread was meant to be about happy times for most of us, not about race or victimhood.
Now can we get back on topic, try to find something good about the era for all of us.

Mostly half-truths and lies, violence and crime were also a product of much division, just be glad you weren't in Africa this past decade when the 'Tire Necklaces 'came out. And be glad you weren't a slave in Africa in the 1900s or even today. Or an Indian when horrible persecutions were being done by other tribes.
All races have problems with their history and ancestors. All of us have done evil to others since time began.
This thread was meant to be about happy times for most of us, not about race or victimhood.
Now can we get back on topic, try to find something good about the era for all of us.
This thread is about American culture. Some of us Americans didn’t have a happy life in the 50’s.

Everything I said is true.

The video doesn't make a great case for the 50s being a 'turning point,' but it does show that the average new house price was about 2 or 3 years the average salary; now, it's more like seven. The average car was about four to eight months of salary; now it's almost a full year. So yeah, the economy sure was good.

It was less than wonderful for those Americans who were anything but straight, white, Christian, and male, though.

Who built a nation the whole world wants to be here?

So much for anything nice to be remembered about a nation hated by its own inhabitants.
Don't worry if they don't blow us all to hell, maybe at least they can turn us into a third world. How long do you think it will take them to give it all away?

The 1950s was a turning point for America,

The only nonWASP shown was Joe Louis. Also missed little things, like couldn't get divorced, Jim Crow, working class struggles, the mob, Cold War, Korean War, polio, etc.

It did have some good movies. R&B music was excellent, not that top 40s crap you showed.

So much for anything nice to be remembered about a nation hated by its own inhabitants.
Don't worry if they don't blow us all to hell, maybe at least they can turn us into a third world. How long do you think it will take them to give it all away?
What you need to understand is this country was not all sunshine and rainbows for all Americans. For some it was a living hell.

Forum List

Back