American Culture Then and Now

So much for anything nice to be remembered about a nation hated by its own inhabitants.
Don't worry if they don't blow us all to hell, maybe at least they can turn us into a third world. How long do you think it will take them to give it all away?

People remember nice things. The ppoint people have been trying to make is that the 1950s were not nice for many people here in the US.

Don't let nostalgia get in the way of reality. Communists were the threat and then they weren't. The media kept us afraid with threats of atomic war. Harry Truman mismanaged the Korean War and we lost as many American in three years as we did in the 8+ years of Vietnam.

People remember nice things. The ppoint people have been trying to make is that the 1950s were not nice for many people here in the US.

I understand this, but then life is rough for many of us for different reasons and obstacles we have to 'overcome'. The strong survive many of these but the weak victims only sit on their pity pots and whine.

How many here have laid on a cold tile floor and put their intestines back inside with nothing but a bandage, how many in the middle of downtown and almost watched themself and their toddler almost die of starvation, while pregnant and the other teen mother could clasp her hands around the waist and see the hump of of 4-month pregnancy.

Sit on your pot and blame others for misfortune and evil. See where that gets you. Evil: is reveling in it, good is overcoming it.

"I say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

I understand this, but then life is rough for many of us for different reasons and obstacles we have to 'overcome'. The strong survive many of these but the weak victims only sit on their pity pots and whine.

How many here have laid on a cold tile floor and put their intestines back inside with nothing but a bandage, how many in the middle of downtown and almost watched themself and their toddler almost die of starvation, while pregnant and the other teen mother could clasp her hands around the waist and see the hump of of 4-month pregnancy.

Sit on your pot and blame others for misfortune and evil. See where that gets you. Evil: is reveling in it, good is overcoming it.

"I say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
Cool, but none of that relates to how good the 1950s were...

I lived thru the 50s. Average to below average times. Men went to work women stayed home. Miserable households. Unhappy robotic people.

American culture is defined by the media. During the 50's the media was relatively benign. During the 60's the media was as radical as it could get. The media dubbed the Korean War as the "forgotten war" even though about 60,000 American lives were lost in 3 years and we ended up where we started. The 60's were defined by Vietnam even though the casualties were relatively the same after about 8 years.

The 1950s were awful. Terrible. A horrible time to live in america. People were miserable and scraped by. Barely. I call BS to those who worship the era.

We should, however, remember that 1954 gave us Brown vs. Board of Education. That was good.

We should, however, remember that 1954 gave us Brown vs. Board of Education. That was good.

Enforcement was the problem. Yes, Brown v. Board of Education officially ended the Separate But Equal segregation. But Tuscaloosa AL built two high schools, with identical floorplans, and had one on the black side of town and one on the white. The school districts were very carefully drawn. Nothing changed until the late 60s.

We used only have 3 TV networks, no cable TV, no computers, no cellphones, no internet.
But somehow, we still had plenty of things to do and had fun.
Today's Teenagers would be bored out of their minds without cellphones, the internet and streaming TV.

Forum List

Back