I Saw A Really Cool Button Today

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
The owner of a gun shop I frequent bought a bin of civil war relics, included were hundreds of dug colonial and CW period buttons.....We were culling through them and found this jewel.

A 1789 George Washington Inaugural Button in slightly better condition than this one....It's about the size of a quarter.

H1082-L21744626.jpg

H1082-L21744627.jpg

Seen that button on Antiques Roadshow....Very collectable and valuable.
Do you remember the guy that evaluated it?

Tim Prince out of Nashville, TN is a patron of the shop and he does Civil War shows with the owner a couple times a year.....I bet he already got a call about it. ;)

He's amazing, you can hand him anything from the Spanish-American War on back and he can tell you about it.

Culpeper is a hotbed of those kinds of things.

That's amazing. A real piece of powerful, important history.
Yeah, the whole area between Warrenton and Culpeper was basically a huge winter camp for three years during the CW. A few sizable battles too like Brandy Station......You can hardly scratch dirt without finding something.

My wife's uncle had a place outside of Culpeper and he let me relic hunt there. I found a few plates (buckles) and such.

Yeah, the whole area between Warrenton and Culpeper was basically a huge winter camp for three years during the CW. A few sizable battles too like Brandy Station......You can hardly scratch dirt without finding something.

My wife's uncle had a place outside of Culpeper and he let me relic hunt there. I found a few plates (buckles) and such.
There are still a lot of places that haven't been totally overrun by metal detectors, or outright paved over, too.

... as you found out. Nicely done!

There are still a lot of places that haven't been totally overrun by metal detectors, or outright paved over, too.

... as you found out. Nicely done!
I can only imagine what was dug-up when they put Rt. 29 through there.

It was funny, back in the 70s you could just wander around in the trenches at Centerville Heights.....It's all NOtVA roads and houses now.

Hell I found a 12# solid shot in the convict camp garden a few miles east of there. I suspect that's from were they were chasing the Yankees back into DC after 1st Manassas.

Forum List

Back