Fallout (Amazon)

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
This is an 8-episode post-apocalyptic show on Amazon. I did not know until I was halfway through the series before finding out it is based on a video game.

The 1950s period prior to WWIII is an alternate history where the sciences were far more advanced than in actuality.

A model society of hand-picked people are chosen to survive the nuclear holocaust in special underground vaults, while those who are unlucky enough to survive above ground live in a Mad Maxian dystopian dog-eat-dog world.

Fallout revolves around what happens when these two worlds collide. There is a lot of alternate science, intrigue, and black humor.

This is an 8-episode post-apocalyptic show on Amazon. I did not know until I was halfway through the series before finding out it is based on a video game.

The 1950s period prior to WWIII is an alternate history where the sciences were far more advanced than in actuality.

A model society of hand-picked people are chosen to survive the nuclear holocaust in special underground vaults, while those who are unlucky enough to survive above ground live in a Mad Maxian dystopian dog-eat-dog world.

Fallout revolves around what happens when these two worlds collide. There is a lot of alternate science, intrigue, and black humor.

I've watched a couple of episodes, it's not bad.

Actually, that is not true at all.

The "Great War" was in 2077, which is still over 5 decades in the future. And in a world where the transistor was not invented until around the 2050s. The technology developed very differently, not really any faster. But the fact that they made a choice to keep culture locked in the 1950s can cause confusion.

But much of the technology was based on real life. Like the Ford Nucleon, an actual concept car from Ford in 1957 of a nuclear powered automobile. And the research of the USAF to build nuclear powered aircraft. The game simply imagines that such things became real life and commonplace.

I've watched a couple of episodes, it's not bad.

I'm enjoying it, 5 eps in. As video game adaptations go, it's not as good as The Last of Us, but it's worth watching. They do a good job of capturing the feel of Fallout, I think, although I only played the first 2 games and a bit of the third (it was buggy and crashed a lot, so I gave up). I may finally go back and play Fallout 3 and 4 (and Tactics) after I finish the show. :)

I'm enjoying it, 5 eps in. As video game adaptations go, it's not as good as The Last of Us, but it's worth watching. They do a good job of capturing the feel of Fallout, I think, although I only played the first 2 games and a bit of the third (it was buggy and crashed a lot, so I gave up). I may finally go back and play Fallout 3 and 4 (and Tactics) after I finish the show. :)
Fallout NV is also worth playing.

You might want to take advantage of the free play of Fallout 76 until the 18th.

But I would suggest skipping 3 and going with 4, primarily because of the graphics. There are rumors of Bethesda remastering 3 (2008) and New Vegas (2010) for years, because those really look and play dated compared to 4 (2015) and 76 (2018). There are also mods being made to bring the previous games into the Fallout 4 engine. Myself, I have played since Wasteland and 1, and I could not go back because the graphics and interface is simply so much better now than it was then.

Good game. Fallout 4. I’ve played about two hundred or so hours in it So far.
ironically, it won’t run on my high performance PC game machine anymore.
They will fix it on the 25th, supposedly.

Good game. Fallout 4. I’ve played about two hundred or so hours in it So far.

-peeks at my current stats-

147 days, 23 hours, 24 minutes in Fallout 4.

About 3,500 hours more or less. Of course, that is almost all from 2015 to 2018. Since 2018 other than this last week I have barely played 4. but I have over 695 days in Fallout 76.

That is over 16,000 hours.

I've watched the entire series. Entertaining, but no Game of Thrones.

Of course, that was really only good for roughly the first half. Once they passed the published books, that series quickly went off the rails.

Myself, I had a lot of fun when my friends were talking about it, and how they looked forward to Rob winning and taking control of the Kingdoms. Then their shocked expressions once the Red Wedding aired.

But as a fan of the books, it was obvious to me the show was lost once they ran out of source material. Case in point, no Lady Stoneheart.

Just finished episode 4 ( will finish it begrudgingly ) I’m also watching “ A Gentleman in Moscow “ and on Broadcast TV “ Ghosts “ and “ Shogun “ and UFL Games and “ The Curse of Oak Island “

-peeks at my current stats-

147 days, 23 hours, 24 minutes in Fallout 4.

About 3,500 hours more or less. Of course, that is almost all from 2015 to 2018. Since 2018 other than this last week I have barely played 4. but I have over 695 days in Fallout 76.

That is over 16,000 hours.
695 days?! That's more time than I put into WoW and Everquest, and I played those for about 13 combined years! :omg:

695 days?! That's more time than I put into WoW and Everquest, and I played those for about 13 combined years! :omg:

Oh, I have even made a youtube player guide for the game, and have even made my own challenges.

They game is broken up into events called "season", which last from 3-4 months. And in each one I delete one character and start all over again. And each time, I give myself new challenges to accomplish during the current season before I kill it and start all over again.

For the last several seasons, that has been to set up the character as a kind of quasi-roleplay. Vendors in the camps selling to other players is a big thing for making money, but I am at the point where "caps" are worthless to me. Last season, the vendor I ran was a "Toy Shop", and everything they sold was a toy in some way. Cars, dolls, teddy bears, and the like. This time, it is a "Kitchen Supply Store". Everything sold is in some way related to cooking. Not that it matters a bit to me, it is all just my having fun and surprising people.

I know a lot last season would see the neon sign saying "Wasteland Toy Store", and were thinking it was likely weapons and the like. Only to see it actually was just toys. And next season I am thinking of doing a hardware store.

But I have to admit, the player base in 76 is really great. I also played Evercrack, Sims Online, Second Life, and have uncounted hours in Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. But in 76 it really is a supportive community, with only a few tools that seem like they got lost on the way to Rust. That is one of the reasons I keep returning.

Oh, I have even made a youtube player guide for the game, and have even made my own challenges.

They game is broken up into events called "season", which last from 3-4 months. And in each one I delete one character and start all over again. And each time, I give myself new challenges to accomplish during the current season before I kill it and start all over again.

For the last several seasons, that has been to set up the character as a kind of quasi-roleplay. Vendors in the camps selling to other players is a big thing for making money, but I am at the point where "caps" are worthless to me. Last season, the vendor I ran was a "Toy Shop", and everything they sold was a toy in some way. Cars, dolls, teddy bears, and the like. This time, it is a "Kitchen Supply Store". Everything sold is in some way related to cooking. Not that it matters a bit to me, it is all just my having fun and surprising people.

I know a lot last season would see the neon sign saying "Wasteland Toy Store", and were thinking it was likely weapons and the like. Only to see it actually was just toys. And next season I am thinking of doing a hardware store.

But I have to admit, the player base in 76 is really great. I also played Evercrack, Sims Online, Second Life, and have uncounted hours in Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. But in 76 it really is a supportive community, with only a few tools that seem like they got lost on the way to Rust. That is one of the reasons I keep returning.
Do people come around and buy stuff?

Watched the first three episodes of “ Sugar “ and though it’s complicated it does have hints of “ LA Confidential” and “ Chinatown / The Two Jakes “ in a modern twist

Forum List

Back