America Founded as a Christian Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to popular request I am starting a thread covering the fact that America was begun as a Christian nation. Be forewarned, I will not respond to posts that are more than twelve or so paragraphs. If we are going to discuss the issue, it has to be a few things at a time. Bottom line: America was founded as a Christian nation.

As soon as one says that the atheists and other non-believers will start with their lies and straw man arguments. They will tell you that I just said America was founded as a theocracy. AMERICA WAS NOT FOUNDED AS A THEOCRACY. IT WAS FOUNDED AS A REPUBLIC BASED UPON CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLES.

Politics is nothing more than religion in action. Our sense of right and wrong are all predicated on moral values and we got from biblical precepts. The very first governing document of the New World was the Mayflower Compact. It states:

In the name of God, Amen. We, whose names are underwritten, the loyal subjects of our dread Sovereign Lord King James, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, King, defender of the Faith, etc.

Having undertaken, for the Glory of God, and “advancements of the Christian faith

Okay, I’m well aware that St. Augustine is the oldest city in the U.S, the Spaniards were there before the colonists and that other colonists preceded those on the Mayflower. That Mayflower Compact was the first GOVERNING document of the New World. Colonization and founding are synonymous.

The First Charter of Virginia of 1606 stated:

We greatly commending, and graciously accepting of, their Desires for the Furtherance of so noble a Work, which may, by the Providence of Almighty God, hereafter tend to the Glory his Divine Majesty, in propagating of Christian Religion to such People, as yet live in Darkness and miserable Ignorance of the true Knowledge and Worship of God, and may in time bring the Infidels and Savages, living in those parts, to human Civility, to a settled and quiet government.”

Similar language attesting to our Christian roots during this period would be the Second Charter of Virginia of 1609, Third Charter of Virginia 1611 – 1612, The Charter of New England 1620, Ordinances For Virginia, July 24, 1621, The Charter of Massachusetts Bay 1629, and I will add more to the chorological order each time I post.

In 1630, John Winthrop delivered a sermon aboard the Arbella as it sailed toward the New World. That sermon has been cited by U.S. statesmen including, but not limited to JFK and Ronald Reagan. It defines WHO the colonists were and what their objective was in the New World. Any sermon being quoted by American politicians 300 years later deserves to be examined. Here is a link to it and it is a must read if you want to add intelligent commentary to this thread:

https://www.casa-arts.org/cms/lib/PA01925203/Centricity/Domain/50/A Model of Christian Charity.pdf More to come
True Christianity is an important and influential part of American, and Western heritage.

Even if, in actuality, many of the aspects attributed to Christianity coexist in other civilization, it's nevertheless pure historical revisionism to try to complete eliminate Christianity from our memories.

Even the Common Law system which the states are governed by is a "religious" institution of sorts, founded on religious principles such as the Golden Rule - respect for people, their families, their property, their autonomy, and so forth; may atheists interestingly deny the existence of any of this rights and so forth, putting them completely at odds with the Common Law and its history, function, and founding principles, much as some of these principles (e.x. property rights, personal autonomy) were also a part of the 10 Commandments and the legal system of Israel during the Old Testament era.

By that alone, the states as well as Britain would be right to ban any atheistic worldview which is potentially antagonist to the Law and its founding principles. (Marxism, for instance wishes to abolish all private property, which is an ideology immediately at odds with the law and its acknowledgement and respect for property rights and so forth).

I repeat:
If indeed the argument OP is true, (and the documents provided do have merit) I think there's pretty conclusive evidence religion doesn't work as a governing principle. And I'm not real sure, as I'm not a biblical scholar, but did attend church and listen, where in the religion of christianity the principles of Double Standards and the use of forcing one to submit to your will came from. Not to mention the incessant lying and legal thieving.
That's not arguing the belief of founding, though I will, it's arguing the effectiveness.

The founding principle was "self evident truth"- "all men are created equal and have certain unalienable rights, endowed by their Creator, among these are the right to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness- I've not seen or heard that preached in a christian sermon. Or protestant. Or catholic- though I'll admit to having never attended a catholic, methodist or lutheran or mormon or quaker church- my time was spent in The Church of Christ and Baptist congregations.

The founding principles are a life philosophy- either you get it or you don't. It isn't rocket science, it's not an esoteric adventure. However, if introduced, late in life, as Truth, it is vehemently denied, by religious people and non religious alike.

Religion, any religion, is a dogma, often times converted to a political dogma and vice versa. Our founding was, from what I can tell, an attempt to allow men to choose for themselves how they wanted to pursue their own interests without the previous tyrannical ruling of official oppressors in political office who often used religion as a tool to condemn unacceptable behavior. Unacceptable is questionable by any thinker.
The Constitution (after a lot of haggling) emerged as the founding document and doesn't say anything about a religion being a part of the deal. It does list some very specific powers granted- it doesn't say those are religious or even god like. They were very limited to help ensure a successful experiment of people governing themselves, not a religious dogma.

It's true the founders did think it would take virtuous men to being elected to pull it off. Virtuous doesn't mean religious.
In fact, religion has been a political tool and still is. I can remember the worry about JFK being a catholic- really? LOL

Virtue can come naturally but it can't be forced or coerced. Educating ones self is frowned on- yet here I am, my formal education stopping in the 9th grade, twice. I consider myself pretty virtuous, though not always so in my past. I also, in reflection, was trusting those whose actions (when scrutinized) were less than virtuous- can you say Manifest Destiny?

Religion is the oldest political tool on the books. Always has been and likely will be forever and ever, amen.

Not one reply or refutation but a bunch of arguing about something which, in essence, is immaterial other than some proving an esoteric knowledge of something which is inconsequential in the scheme of things- where we are as a Country is what's important- acknowledging that what's practiced isn't working as envisioned is imperative to correction of the course- religion, all sects, have too many rules and too many different opinions on whose god/which god is THE God and how to best abide what's claimed to be his words- the founders chose Creator vs God to show that there was no particular endorsement of any particular belief/religion, thus Freedom of Religion- Jefferson believed that the Country should abide by Christs manners- he even tried to write a bible without all the mystical apparatus attached to it by literally cutting "his words" out of a bible and transferring them to another piece of paper. Is that esoteric enough?

A very simple rule, only one, is necessary to gain what most everyone presumably wants- Peace on earth goodwill toward men- that can't be forced or made law or dogma, it MUST be made the example used- but, it will change nothing overnight except the one(s) who actually believe it enough to take it to heart and even then, practice is required, so it takes time- instilling it in the sponges for brains of kids will help ensure it endures and will work exponentially with absolutely no myth ot mysticism involved or required. One: ALL men are created equal and have certain unalienable rights- taking that to heart and actually practicing it is the best way to ensure it takes hold in others. It requires self respect which will beget showing respect which will beget earning respect. It's doesn't require an esoteric argument or proving a religion is a founding belief.
It simply takes abiding by. Period. Simple. And that is not spelled easy, or esoteric.

America Founded as a Christian Nation

That's true! Jesus said: "Seize earthly political and set up Christian nations, so you can lord over and dominate everyone else! Make their lives miserable! If you do that I'll get a massive hard on. Thinking about that is giving me a stiffy! Peter, bend over and grab your ankles! Daddy's coming home!!"

Last edited:
Due to popular request I am starting a thread covering the fact that America was begun as a Christian nation. Be forewarned, I will not respond to posts that are more than twelve or so paragraphs. If we are going to discuss the issue, it has to be a few things at a time. Bottom line: America was founded as a Christian nation.

As soon as one says that the atheists and other non-believers will start with their lies and straw man arguments. They will tell you that I just said America was founded as a theocracy. AMERICA WAS NOT FOUNDED AS A THEOCRACY. IT WAS FOUNDED AS A REPUBLIC BASED UPON CHRISTIAN PRINCIPLES.

Politics is nothing more than religion in action. Our sense of right and wrong are all predicated on moral values and we got from biblical precepts. The very first governing document of the New World was the Mayflower Compact. It states:

In the name of God, Amen. We, whose names are underwritten, the loyal subjects of our dread Sovereign Lord King James, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, King, defender of the Faith, etc.

Having undertaken, for the Glory of God, and “advancements of the Christian faith

Okay, I’m well aware that St. Augustine is the oldest city in the U.S, the Spaniards were there before the colonists and that other colonists preceded those on the Mayflower. That Mayflower Compact was the first GOVERNING document of the New World. Colonization and founding are synonymous.

We greatly commending, and graciously accepting of, their Desires for the Furtherance of so noble a Work, which may, by the Providence of Almighty God, hereafter tend to the Glory his Divine Majesty, in propagating of Christian Religion to such People, as yet live in Darkness and miserable Ignorance of the true Knowledge and Worship of God, and may in time bring the Infidels and Savages, living in those parts, to human Civility, to a settled and quiet government.”

Similar language attesting to our Christian roots during this period would be the Second Charter of Virginia of 1609, Third Charter of Virginia 1611 – 1612, The Charter of New England 1620, Ordinances For Virginia, July 24, 1621, The Charter of Massachusetts Bay 1629, and I will add more to the chorological order each time I post.

In 1630, John Winthrop delivered a sermon aboard the Arbella as it sailed toward the New World. That sermon has been cited by U.S. statesmen including, but not limited to JFK and Ronald Reagan. It defines WHO the colonists were and what their objective was in the New World. Any sermon being quoted by American politicians 300 years later deserves to be examined. Here is a link to it and it is a must read if you want to add intelligent commentary to this thread:

https://www.casa-arts.org/cms/lib/PA01925203/Centricity/Domain/50/A Model of Christian Charity.pdf More to come

I think that it would be appropriate to point out that this nation, which you claim to be founded as a Christian nation, was also founded as a slave nation. That pretty much negates any positive Christian values that were involved during the founding.

Complete utter B.S. and an outright LIE. The Constitution had a provision for gradually phasing out the slave trade.

The Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves of 1807 (2 Stat. 426, enacted March 2, 1807) is a United States federal law that provided that no new slaves were permitted to be imported into the United States. It took effect in 1808, the earliest date permitted by the United States Constitution.

Oh, so it is "Christian" to enslave people, and their children. It is NOT Christian to import new slaves. That is a spin that would send Jesus into a drunken spin. As for the 1808 date being set by the constitution, that is too ridicules to even argue.

I think that it would be appropriate to point out that this nation, which you claim to be founded as a Christian nation, was also founded as a slave nation. That pretty much negates any positive Christian values that were involved during the founding.
Slavery was a British institution. The Founding Fathers intended for it to perish and took steps towards that end. The Democratic Party reversed that course in the 1820’s.

So, now, you are blaming slavery on democrats? Link please.

Complete utter B.S. and an outright LIE. The Constitution had a provision for gradually phasing out the slave trade.

The Act Prohibiting Importation of Slaves of 1807 (2 Stat. 426, enacted March 2, 1807) is a United States federal law that provided that no new slaves were permitted to be imported into the United States. It took effect in 1808, the earliest date permitted by the United States Constitution.

It didn't matter, they used domestic slaves and used children, and it took a civil war and it still didn't end, and it took the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and still it doesn't mean much. My gosh, women were not allowed to vote till 1920.

Failure to immediately live up to ones principles, does not mean the intent was not real.

Once again, your post is structured as though your words support your conclusion, but they actually don't.

"God, I really tried to set my slaves free, but the devil made me keep them!

Slavery was a British institution. The Founding Fathers intended for it to perish and took steps towards that end. The Democratic Party reversed that course in the 1820’s.

You seriously don’t know the history?

Your rationalization of slavery being compatible with a Christian nation is so blatantly absurd that I feel not need for further misinformation regarding history..

Your rationalization of slavery being compatible with a Christian nation is so blatantly absurd that I feel not need for further misinformation regarding history..
I never made that argument. It isn’t compatible with Christianity.

It is a fact that our Founding Fathers intended for slavery to perish, took steps to halt the expansion of slavery and that the Democratic Party went against their wish and expanded slavery and were the sole reason for slavery, racism, bigotry and segregation existed.

Look it up for yourself. It’s public record.

Oh, so it is "Christian" to enslave people, and their children. It is NOT Christian to import new slaves. That is a spin that would send Jesus into a drunken spin. As for the 1808 date being set by the constitution, that is too ridicules to even argue.

It's in the Constitution and again, WHITES DID NOT INVENT SLAVERY

It didn't matter, they used domestic slaves and used children, and it took a civil war and it still didn't end, and it took the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and still it doesn't mean much. My gosh, women were not allowed to vote till 1920.

Failure to immediately live up to ones principles, does not mean the intent was not real.

Once again, your post is structured as though your words support your conclusion, but they actually don't.

Quote what the Bible says about slavery every time it appears in the Bible. Use Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible to locate each and every passage. Post them.

It is a fact that our Founding Fathers intended for slavery to perish, took steps to halt the expansion of slavery and that the Democratic Party went against their wish and expanded slavery and were the sole reason for slavery, racism, bigotry and segregation existed.

Look it up for yourself. It’s public record.

When it comes to facts, that guy taps out. The truth is too confusing. He needs the socialists to tell him what to think.

:dance:

Quote what the Bible says about slavery every time it appears in the Bible. Use Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible to locate each and every passage. Post them.

I don't give a rat's ass what the Bible says. if you have any moral compass at all, you will acknowledge that it is evil.

I Interrupt My Own Thread To Respond The Slavery Issue

There is no correlation between slavery and the Bible. For all those who try to make it an issue, let us set the record straight. In America:

* Slaves ate better in America than their blue collar, white contemporaries who were "free"

* They lived in better housing than their blue collar, white counterparts

* They were paid wages and fewer than 25 percent of them ever worked in cotton fields. Many of them were skilled craftsmen and received a stipend for their work

Time on the Cross - Wikipedia

https://www.amazon.com/Time-Cross-Economics-American-Slavery/dp/0393312186&tag=ff0d01-20

* The facts still remain that those who keep bitching about slavery fail to admit that we were under British control until 1789 AND the framers began abolishing slavery in the United States Constitution and follow up federal statutes

* Those who complain about slavery are willing to give up their own labor without studying the 16th Amendment. The 16th Amendment is one of two blatantly illegal amendments to the Constitution AND the 16th Amendment is a plank out of the Communist Manifesto

* So that communism can be self perpetuating those same people wailing about slavery have no problem with socialized medicine. If they were working, they would see it as being evil when those who won't work expect you to cover their medical care.

Let's not even consider that the best way to get a job in America is through an employment agency that gets you a job, the "man" sits sit in cozy office while you sweat your butt off and they are making money off YOUR labor. We just put a little lipstick on that pig and pretend people have a choice.

As has been aptly pointed out, those who preach about slavery being evil are dedicated to the Democrats... and WHO was it that forced the illegally ratified 14th Amendment through Congress on the pretext of making blacks equal to whites? It was not the Democrats.

https://www.constitution.org/14ll/no14th.htm

The Fourteenth Amendment is Unconstitutional - Judge L.H. Perez

Was the Fourteenth Amendment Constitutionally Adopted? | Abbeville Institute

When you have legal researchers, civil libertarians, ministers, and even judges questioning the 14th Amendment, it's time to think it over.

Somehow those pabulum puking political propaganda prostitutes that hate Christianity so much don't access links. They want to judge Christians on the basis of slavery... of which they don't know a damn thing about. Meanwhile, they are satisfied to be led by the descendants of the people and the party that perpetuated the institution of slavery.

I guess that helps them be proud of that group who tolerate Muslims that want to convert or kill us. They even had one serve as president for TWO TERMS. These are the same people giving refuge to the LGBTQP community and represent the very worst of mankind.

Somehow, it is acceptable for America to give refuge to the races that started slavery, practiced it before, during and after America became a nation AND still practice it. They get a free pass... as do those people in America whose families profited off slavery not to mention the blacks in places like Sierra Leone who sold their brethren into slavery. They hypocrisy of it all sucks the big suck.

I don't give a rat's ass what the Bible says. if you have any moral compass at all, you will acknowledge that it is evil.

You cannot, by any metric define what's right and what's wrong. See my above response in post # 56. I'd bet dollars against doughnuts that if I came to your house and tossed everything you own that was made in countries that utilize some form of slave labor, you probably wouldn't own a damn thing.

You want to set the bar really high. How high do you set it for yourself? OR do you just want to find fault with Christians when you know that your own soul is troubled? That's a rhetorical question. Don't bother answering it.

I Interrupt My Own Thread To Respond The Slavery Issue

There is no correlation between slavery and the Bible. For all those who try to make it an issue, let us set the record straight. In America:

* Slaves ate better in America than their blue collar, white contemporaries who were "free"

* They lived in better housing than their blue collar, white counterparts

* They were paid wages and fewer than 25 percent of them ever worked in cotton fields. Many of them were skilled craftsmen and received a stipend for their work

Very true! It is estimated that 100,000 slaves escaped to the North via the Underground Railroad. Everyone of them was asked: "Why did you want to escape?" Everyone one of those ex-slaves answered: "Our Masters were treating us too good!".

True! If non Whites were involved with slavery that meant it was Good, Moral and Jesus Approved that White Christians get involved with Slavery.

More dumbassery. You should sue your brains for non-support... presuming you have any left. See post # 56 and then you can get off this thread. You're afraid to talk about the OP. So you want to harp on an issue you've been programmed, Pavlovian style, to talk about when you don't know squat about it.

Jesus followed no man's lead. The colonists who rebelled got rid of slavery. What part of that don't you understand? It's just not a biblical issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back