All Hell Is Breaking Out in Egypt.

Somebody needs to submit a Gay Marriage bill to the Egyptian government today. I'm thinking the guy with the pink scarf two posts back?

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- U.S. stocks tumbled and oil prices rallied Friday, as investors grew nervous about political unrest in Egypt.

The Dow Jones industrial average (INDU) lost 137 points, or 1.2%. A 4% drop in Microsoft's (MSFT, Fortune 500) stock led the blue chips lower despite the company posting record sales of $20 billion. The losses also put the Dow on track for its first weekly decline and biggest daily drop since November.

0Email Print The S&P 500 (SPX) slipped 19 points, or 1.4%, dragged down by Monster Worldwide (MWW), which issued a weak outlook, and Ford (F, Fortune 500), which posted lower-than-expected earnings. The tech-heavy Nasdaq dropped 61 points, or 2.2%, with shares of Amazon (AMZN, Fortune 500) sinking more than 8%.

Investors are worried that that the situation in Egypt could intensify over the weekend, and are taking some money off the table ahead of that possibility.

"Political turmoil is not good for the stability of the market, and Egypt is a populous country that borders one of the busiest shipping routes in the world, so that's getting investors nervous," said Peter Tuz, president at Chase Investment Counsel.

The Market Vectors Egypt Index ETF (EGPT) slipped almost 3%. The ETF tracks the performance of companies that are either listed on an exchange in Egypt or that generate the majority of their revenues in Egypt.

Oil also rallied on concerns about crude shipments through the Suez Canal, which is controlled by Egypt. About 8% of global sea trade travels through the canal, making it one of the world's busiest waterways.

Crude for March delivery rallied more than 4% to $89.29 a barrel.

Market Report - Jan. 28, 2011 - CNNMoney.com

Well get ready, because thats what I predict is going to happen.

The Muslim Brotherhood

I think Wall St thinks that too - oil prices up, DOW is down. The shame of it is, they are protesting is because they are hungry and jobless. It is what happens when there is huge income disparity and no middle class. Makes me wonder what will happen in the US when the middle class is wiped out.

Hi Willow:

I hope any Americans over there get the hell out.

All hell should be breaking out in America, but Americans are too stupid to realize the bankster fascists have robbed you blind and the currency is on the brink of collapse and many are already swallowed up by the Depression. The bought-and-paid-for American politicians and media are helping to hide the truth, but eventually America will wake up to the reality of what is going on and all hell will break loose here too.

Are you ready from the coming crisis?

GL,

Terral

Well get ready, because thats what I predict is going to happen.

The Muslim Brotherhood

I think Wall St thinks that too - oil prices up, DOW is down. The shame of it is, they are protesting is because they are hungry and jobless. It is what happens when there is huge income disparity and no middle class. Makes me wonder what will happen in the US when the middle class is wiped out.

Wow..just checked.

As if 1:49 EST..it's down 163 points.

Man.

How many politicians and presidents have made the declarative statement "We must get away from reliance on foreign oil" how many? and the pressent dude puts a moratorium on drilling.. he wants his bullet trains to run on wind?

Why can't unrest in the Middle East bring gas prices down?

Because the MidEast oil for the most part must be shipped through the Suez Canal. Painfully close to Egypt. Supply interuptions mean shortages, which in turn means price increases.

And another thing. It's not a good idea to give anybody a kill switch on the internet. See?

I'm interested in seeing the true will of the Egyptian people. I watch this movement with interest. I would also like to see all monies extended to Egypt, Israel and Jordan ended.

It has stopped this movement for too long and has interfered in Israeli politics as well. Stop it all including monies from the US to Gaza/West Bank.

My personal view? Let the people all over the middle east decide what they wish and let the world know their minds.

I don't know why God buried our oil underneath so many angry people either.

Because it isn't yours? :eusa_eh:

I'm interested in seeing the true will of the Egyptian people. I watch this movement with interest. I would also like to see all monies extended to Egypt, Israel and Jordan ended.

It has stopped this movement for too long and has interfered in Israeli politics as well. Stop it all including monies from the US to Gaza/West Bank.

My personal view? Let the people all over the middle east decide what they wish and let the world know their minds.

Then who do the resources of the world belong to ?
Are we breathing American air ? Drinking American water ?

Then who do the resources of the world belong to ?
Are we breathing American air ? Drinking American water ?

Come on. Do you believe that the resources of the Middle East are the property of everyone who wants them?

Forum List

Back