ALL drugs would be legal - if libs had their way

stuff like meth, crack cocaine, heroin, you name it

Legalization of weed is a nec first step ......................

PROSECUTION OF VICTIMLESS CRIMES

Demonstrates intolerance.

You should not be allowed outdoors. You might do something.

I have been working with addicts and their families for more than 15 years, and I can assure you that drugs are far from victimless.

I have been working with addicts and their families for more than 15 years, and I can assure you that drugs are far from victimless.

Much of that grief would disappear if not for inflated prices and the criminalization of getting high

Much of that grief would disappear if not for inflated prices and the criminalization of getting high

I doubt that very much. Witness the devastation caused by alchol addiction. Alcohol is legal.

Factor in the higher addiction rates of drugs like meth and heroine and we are looking at much more devastation, legal or not.

Either people have the power to decide for themselves, or they don't. If it isn't healthy to have a government powerful enough to take away guns, why is it good for it to have the power to decide what an individual does to him/her self?
If they pass suffering on to others, then they should be very severely punished. Very severely!

I agree....addiction is a pariah to families. However, marijuana is relatively harmless and never should have been added to the Schedule 1 drug list. But remember...in 1970, when it was added, the Vietnam War was still going on, the protests were still going on, and I suppose the establishment found it easier to blame pot than their own shitty policies.

Of course it would.
Ever seen a crack addict? A methhead?

Already did weed and cocaine - could count the numberof times both hands - also drank before I was 21on a fewo ccassions

Sure I would do weed if it was legal - buts its not

Just likeI woulnt have have drank alcohol during the Prohibition
Well... Ok then. I guess you were honest...

:lol:

He's one of those people that needs laws to know what to do. Don't let anyone tell you they don't exist.
I admit that it took me by surprise.

"But remember...in 1970, when it was added, the Vietnam War was still going on, the protests were still going on, and I suppose the establishment found it easier to blame pot than their own shitty policies."

Ya think!

Yes, it was pure vindictiveness.

If it grows in the ground, it should be legal. You should not be able to legalize naturally occuring plants. Just like Monsanto should not be able to patent seeds, I don't care what they do to them... that is a dangerously slippery slope. Besides, the paper industry had more to do with making marijuana illegal than people smoking it then. The American indians used it mainly for religious purposes, but damn if the early Americans didn't like their booze.

Anything that is "processed" should stay illegal. Done and done.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf9XPlRRvxE]I-502 TV Ad - John McKay - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWr0neESf-M]Yes on I-502 TV Ad - Law Enforcement - YouTube[/ame]​

I agree....addiction is a pariah to families. However, marijuana is relatively harmless and never should have been added to the Schedule 1 drug list. But remember...in 1970, when it was added, the Vietnam War was still going on, the protests were still going on, and I suppose the establishment found it easier to blame pot than their own shitty policies.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IueIgHiwtfg]Grass: The History Of Marijuana [Full Documentary] - YouTube[/ame]​

"Under the pressure of the cares and sorrows of our mortal condition, men have at all times, and in all countries, called in some physical aid to their moral consolations - wine, beer, opium, brandy, or tobacco."
Edmund Burke

logo.jpg

Drug Decriminalization Policy Pays Off

By any metric, Portugal's drug-decriminalization scheme has been a resounding success.

Ten years ago, Portugal became the first Western nation to pass full-scale, nationwide decriminalization. That law, passed Oct. 1, 2000, abolished criminal sanctions for all narcotics — not just marijuana but also "hard drugs" like heroin and cocaine.

This applies only to drugs for personal use; drug trafficking remains a criminal offense. There is now a decade's worth of empirical data on what actually happens — and does not happen — when criminal sanctions against drug possession are lifted.

Individuals caught with drugs in Portugal are no longer arrested or treated as criminals. Instead, they are sent to a tribunal of health professionals, where they are offered the opportunity, but are not compelled, to seek government-provided treatment.

For those found to be addicts, tribunals have the power to impose noncriminal sanctions. But in practice, the overriding goal is to direct people to treatment.

By any metric, Portugal's drug-decriminalization scheme has been a resounding success. Drug usage in many categories has decreased in absolute terms, including for key demographic groups, like 15-to-19-year-olds. Where usage rates have increased, the increases have been modest — far less than in most other European Union nations, which continue to use a criminalization approach.

Portugal, whose drug problems were among the worst in Europe, now has the lowest usage rate for marijuana and one of the lowest for cocaine. Drug-related pathologies, including HIV transmission, hepatitis transmission and drug-related deaths, have declined significantly.

Beyond the data, Portugal's success with decriminalization is illustrated by the absence of political agitation for a return to criminalization. As one might expect for a socially conservative and predominantly Roman Catholic country, the decriminalization proposal sparked intense controversy a decade ago.

Many politicians insisted that a vast parade of horribles would be unleashed, including massive increases in drug use among youth and the conversion of Lisbon into a "drug haven for tourists."

But none of those scary scenarios occurred. Portuguese citizens, able to compare the out-of-control drug problems of the 1990s with the vastly improved situation now, have little desire to return to the days of criminalization. No influential politician advocates doing so.

Though Portugal's population is far smaller than that of the United States, more than 10 million people is hardly insignificant. But far more relevant than population size is that Portugal in the 1990s — like the U.S. today — had an exploding drug problem. And the more the nation criminalized, the worse the problem became.

Cato

....And, the DEA' s job-security scam is about to be....​

....short-circuited!!!!!!

"A key linchpin in America’s drug war establishment could soon be pulled, if medical marijuana advocates are successful before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia this week.

For the first time in more than 20 years, the court will launch headlong into a serious challenge of the Drug Enforcement Agency’s (DEA) Schedule I classification of marijuana: a placement which has held for nearly two generations that, much like heroin, PCP and LSD, marijuana has no known medical value.

The lawsuit getting underway Tuesday in Washington, D.C. has been pending for more than a decade, and advocates were forced to sue the government a second time just to get a hearing. For many, the long-awaited day is more than just a chance to advocate for medical reform in court: it’s a real shot at forever changing the nation’s marijuana laws."

If drugs are legalized, then people should be freely permitted all defenses against drug addicts. Addicts should not receive any medical care that they don't directly pay for. Which means if someone has a marijuana induced stroke they don't get care unless they pony up. Insurance companies can cover the results of drug related conditions but don't have to.

If drugs are legalized, then people should be freely permitted all defenses against drug addicts. Addicts should not receive any medical care that they don't directly pay for. Which means if someone has a marijuana induced stroke.....

Their case would be recorded in.....

ripleys-believe-it-or-not.jpeg

This is what I don't get about conservatives. Normally their stance is that people have to be responsible for their mistakes. And the war on drugs is an epitome of government waste -- spending billions of taxpayer dollars to make a business case for organized crime.

But that logic breaks when it comes to drugs -- they want a nanny state to hold you hands in this case.

That's why it needs to be turned around. Dismantle the DEA and stop that drain on the Treasury. Treat illegal drugs the same as legal drugs such as alcohol and nicotine. Regulate 'em and tax 'em.

Regards from Rosie

If drugs are legalized, then people should be freely permitted all defenses against drug addicts. Addicts should not receive any medical care that they don't directly pay for. Which means if someone has a marijuana induced stroke they don't get care unless they pony up. Insurance companies can cover the results of drug related conditions but don't have to.

That is what happens with tobacco smokers -- insurance companies charge them extra. And that is the whole point of legalization -- any drug should be dealt the same way we deal with alcohol and tobacco. Prohibition never works.

Forum List

Back