"All Children Are Gifted" another load of crap shoveled by the Left.

Discussion in 'Education' started by MarathonMike, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Asclepias

Asclepias Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,503
    Again you show that you dont know what you are talking about. If praise hobbled children and they became addicted how is it that all my children have excelled/are still excelling? How is that children I have worked with are excelling? Wouldnt they be emotional, non excelling wrecks by now?

No need to tell me you are a master teacher. Its obvious you lack credibility so I cant believe you. Dont waste your time trying to convince me either.

2. Asclepias

Asclepias Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,503
    Youre a good example of the people who post here about teaching and know absolutely nothing about it.

3. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    How old are your children? Let's start there.

PS you keep putting things in my mouth I didn't say too. The self-esteem movement has hobbled children, which is basically the idea if you just over-inflate them and praise abundantly and without cause, they'll achieve. THAT is what I'm talking about. When children have earned praise you NEVER withhold it, and you should always use it along the way. I'm not talking about praise; I'm talking about the self-esteem movement. Those two are related but not exactly the same.

No offense but it's clear you don't know what you don't know, and you refuse to read.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Asclepias

Asclepias Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,503
    What difference does it make how old they are? Lay out your theory now instead of formulating one to fit their ages.

5. SweetSue92

SweetSue92 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    Going by the experiences of two, or three, or four children does not tell the tale of a generation. That's like giving out medication to four people and saying "look, no harmful side effects", when in reality hundreds of people might have incapacitating side effects which won't show up with such a small sample, but which are significant. No teacher worth his or her salt would ever judge the effectiveness of a curricula, methodology or pedagogy on four children. That's for starters.

For enders, the poor manifestations of the self-esteem movement don't show up in young children--they most manifest in the teen years and young adulthood, about the age when young people should have not a lot of empty, vacuous adult words in their heads about how wonderful and "gifted" they are, but instead, they should have a vast quantity of actual, lived experiences in which they found success instead. And those silly words hobble them by basically getting them addicted. Even young, they become afraid to take chances because, rather than forging ahead fearless of what others might say, they look around for that approval. They become timid and anxious, waiting for what others will think. The praise becomes a short-circuiting, short-term reward of sorts. Again--it makes them anxious and self-conscious.

You notice how anxious this generation is? We think that is why, at least in part.

That is just one way self-esteem goes down (badly). The other way is: kids actually DO take those words to heart and grow up to be diagnosable narcissists. We now have a narcissist rate among our young people of SEVENTY percent. That's right--70%. Not confident. Narcissism.

Tomorrow I should be able to provide links.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,927
    all kids may not be gifted, but all kids are gifts....(coming from a person's perspective who was medically unable to have kids of her and her husband's own.....) :(

7. Asclepias

Asclepias Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,503
    I can only speak from my first hand experience because I know what program I implemented. I can only take the word of others that they followed the same process I did.

Well that pretty much renders your claim false. My children are all in college. 1 on an athletic scholarship and the other 3 on academic scholarships. The eldest is working on her PHD in wildlife biology. Another is in aerospace engineering. To further demolish your argument they all tell me they are so happy we did what we did in making sure they had self esteem and pointing to their friends and acquaintances as examples of how terrible it must be to grow up in a household where self esteem was not intentionally installed.

Kids are anxious due to lack of self esteem not due to the presence of self esteem. Do you see why I keep saying you dont know what you are talking about? So far none of my children have displayed any narcissism. They are very caring and humble children that volunteer to help others. I see nothing in them that would make me think thats going to change.

You can provide links until your head hurts. I can provide links to contradict your links.

8. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,931

Going on 25 years of teaching - real teaching, in real classrooms, with real students. How about you, big mouth?

9. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,931

...says one of the most blatant, proven liars on this entire site...

10. Asclepias

Asclepias Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,503
    Youre a known liar. Even if that was true, time on the job has jack shit to do with knowledge. Youre just a dead beat teacher at best and a security guard in all probability.