"All Children Are Gifted" another load of crap shoveled by the Left.

Never thought of it like that but yes I am a teacher. Not credentialed which doesnt mean much because I have seen and experienced some scrub ass teachers I dont care what you are here to tell me. I know differently as I pointed out I have teachers in my family and as friends. Scrub teachers that are jaded are the ones that are not continually amazed with how gifted children are. Amazing teachers will always talk about how amazing children are.

You didnt have to say it. Your belief that all children are not gifted directs your philosophy regarding the students. Hence you hold them back by virtue of your beliefs. I dont have to do any research on self esteem. I have plenty of evidence that teaching self esteem results in amazing individuals.

No what you have is a front row seat for are children that were taught to break down at the mere hint of adversity. Self esteem teaches you to kick adversity in the ass. it teaches you to overcome obstacles by virtue of the fact that you cant be stopped unless you quit. Like my favorite rapper says.

"I realize I was supposed to reach for the skies.
Never let somebody try to tell you otherwise."
-Black Thought

Well the propensity to not be open-minded and not want to learn aka "I don't care what you are here to tell me"...tells me a lot. You know what credentialed teachers do? We research. We learn. We pay attention not only to what makes children "feel good" but to what actually WORKS. And you know what works?

Not mindless "self esteem" stroking. And that is the research. The research states that the more you stroke their self-esteem with no cause, the less fit for adversity they are.

Do.

The.

Research.
Its obvious you have never researched the issue. Your claim that self esteem is a bad thing is ignorant and alarming for someone that claims to educate children. Without self esteem people doubt they can do anything. If you doubt yourself then you have difficulty learning.

Again, read what I said. I never said "self esteem is a bad thing", I said the self esteem MOVEMENT has been a failure, which is undeniably has. Any teacher with good instincts probably could have told you this from the beginning. It turns out that telling children how glorious and wonderful they are before they have achieved anything is crippling. Of course you tell them you love and care about them; that's not the issue. Of course you believe in them. Also not the issue. You don't give them empty praise for no reason. That IS the issue. You don't needlessly inflate their "gifts", which they can smell through anyway. That IS an issue.

There is a body of research on this. I'm sorry you haven't availed yourself of it. I need a few more creds to begin posting links, but you can begin looking up the research by Roy Baumeister.

"It turns out that telling children how glorious and wonderful they are before they have achieved anything is crippling."

This is why I say you dont know what you are tallking about. Turns out that if you tell children how wonderful and glorious they are long before they face a challenge they have the confidence to excel. There is a body of research on this and plenty of evidence in everyday life to back it up. I'm pretty sure you are unaware of this because you are poor teacher.

They have SOME confidence to excel, and then become addicted to the empty words. And then they become hobbled, or "crippled" by the empty praise, and turn out depending on IT more than, say, actual achievement. That's why we have a generation showing up at new jobs wanting employee-of-the-month and other attaboys before they have achieved a single blessed thing. They do not understand nor value the absolute soul-deep satisfaction of a job well done for its sake alone. They have been robbed of it by a generation of dopey parents and teachers who stood above them and cooed constantly.

And btw, I'm not just a good teacher; I'm considered a Master Teacher with many awards who has been nationally published. You might consider this post why, in fact, because I use my summers researching and not just swallowing the pabulum of whatever the culture is spitting out. And the Self Esteem Movement is absolute, fad-culture pabulum that has yielded devastating effects.
Again you show that you dont know what you are talking about. If praise hobbled children and they became addicted how is it that all my children have excelled/are still excelling? How is that children I have worked with are excelling? Wouldnt they be emotional, non excelling wrecks by now?

No need to tell me you are a master teacher. Its obvious you lack credibility so I cant believe you. Dont waste your time trying to convince me either.

Well the propensity to not be open-minded and not want to learn aka "I don't care what you are here to tell me"...tells me a lot. You know what credentialed teachers do? We research. We learn. We pay attention not only to what makes children "feel good" but to what actually WORKS. And you know what works?

Not mindless "self esteem" stroking. And that is the research. The research states that the more you stroke their self-esteem with no cause, the less fit for adversity they are.

Do.

The.

Research.
Its obvious you have never researched the issue. Your claim that self esteem is a bad thing is ignorant and alarming for someone that claims to educate children. Without self esteem people doubt they can do anything. If you doubt yourself then you have difficulty learning.

Again, read what I said. I never said "self esteem is a bad thing", I said the self esteem MOVEMENT has been a failure, which is undeniably has. Any teacher with good instincts probably could have told you this from the beginning. It turns out that telling children how glorious and wonderful they are before they have achieved anything is crippling. Of course you tell them you love and care about them; that's not the issue. Of course you believe in them. Also not the issue. You don't give them empty praise for no reason. That IS the issue. You don't needlessly inflate their "gifts", which they can smell through anyway. That IS an issue.

There is a body of research on this. I'm sorry you haven't availed yourself of it. I need a few more creds to begin posting links, but you can begin looking up the research by Roy Baumeister.

"It turns out that telling children how glorious and wonderful they are before they have achieved anything is crippling."

This is why I say you dont know what you are tallking about. Turns out that if you tell children how wonderful and glorious they are long before they face a challenge they have the confidence to excel. There is a body of research on this and plenty of evidence in everyday life to back it up. I'm pretty sure you are unaware of this because you are poor teacher.

They have SOME confidence to excel, and then become addicted to the empty words. And then they become hobbled, or "crippled" by the empty praise, and turn out depending on IT more than, say, actual achievement. That's why we have a generation showing up at new jobs wanting employee-of-the-month and other attaboys before they have achieved a single blessed thing. They do not understand nor value the absolute soul-deep satisfaction of a job well done for its sake alone. They have been robbed of it by a generation of dopey parents and teachers who stood above them and cooed constantly.

And btw, I'm not just a good teacher; I'm considered a Master Teacher with many awards who has been nationally published. You might consider this post why, in fact, because I use my summers researching and not just swallowing the pabulum of whatever the culture is spitting out. And the Self Esteem Movement is absolute, fad-culture pabulum that has yielded devastating effects.

You'll find that most people who post about teaching here know absolutely nothing about it.
Youre a good example of the people who post here about teaching and know absolutely nothing about it.

Do.

The.

Research.

Again you show that you dont know what you are talking about. If praise hobbled children and they became addicted how is it that all my children have excelled/are still excelling? How is that children I have worked with are excelling? Wouldnt they be emotional, non excelling wrecks by now?

No need to tell me you are a master teacher. Its obvious you lack credibility so I cant believe you. Dont waste your time trying to convince me either.

How old are your children? Let's start there.

PS you keep putting things in my mouth I didn't say too. The self-esteem movement has hobbled children, which is basically the idea if you just over-inflate them and praise abundantly and without cause, they'll achieve. THAT is what I'm talking about. When children have earned praise you NEVER withhold it, and you should always use it along the way. I'm not talking about praise; I'm talking about the self-esteem movement. Those two are related but not exactly the same.

No offense but it's clear you don't know what you don't know, and you refuse to read.

What difference does it make how old they are? Lay out your theory now instead of formulating one to fit their ages.

What difference does it make how old they are? Lay out your theory now instead of formulating one to fit their ages.

Going by the experiences of two, or three, or four children does not tell the tale of a generation. That's like giving out medication to four people and saying "look, no harmful side effects", when in reality hundreds of people might have incapacitating side effects which won't show up with such a small sample, but which are significant. No teacher worth his or her salt would ever judge the effectiveness of a curricula, methodology or pedagogy on four children. That's for starters.

For enders, the poor manifestations of the self-esteem movement don't show up in young children--they most manifest in the teen years and young adulthood, about the age when young people should have not a lot of empty, vacuous adult words in their heads about how wonderful and "gifted" they are, but instead, they should have a vast quantity of actual, lived experiences in which they found success instead. And those silly words hobble them by basically getting them addicted. Even young, they become afraid to take chances because, rather than forging ahead fearless of what others might say, they look around for that approval. They become timid and anxious, waiting for what others will think. The praise becomes a short-circuiting, short-term reward of sorts. Again--it makes them anxious and self-conscious.

You notice how anxious this generation is? We think that is why, at least in part.

That is just one way self-esteem goes down (badly). The other way is: kids actually DO take those words to heart and grow up to be diagnosable narcissists. We now have a narcissist rate among our young people of SEVENTY percent. That's right--70%. Not confident. Narcissism.

Tomorrow I should be able to provide links.

All children are NOT gifted. Sorry Mom and Dad but the majority of kids are average, and capable of achievement only if they apply themselves. That's just the way it is, but for some reason over the Left pushes this nonsense that all children are gifted, and it is up to the teachers to unlock their gifts. And if they don't I suppose it's the failure of the teacher, the school, the government or Donald Trump or Russia or who knows. Anything but admitting your kid is just part of that wide swath of average intelligence and limited talent. The problem is if you do not face that reality, you are setting your child up for colossal failure in adult life. The earlier you recognize your kid is not the next Elon Musk the earlier you can put him or her on a different track where they can be successful.
all kids may not be gifted, but all kids are gifts....(coming from a person's perspective who was medically unable to have kids of her and her husband's own.....) :(

Going by the experiences of two, or three, or four children does not tell the tale of a generation. That's like giving out medication to four people and saying "look, no harmful side effects", when in reality hundreds of people might have incapacitating side effects which won't show up with such a small sample, but which are significant. No teacher worth his or her salt would ever judge the effectiveness of a curricula, methodology or pedagogy on four children. That's for starters.

For enders, the poor manifestations of the self-esteem movement don't show up in young children--they most manifest in the teen years and young adulthood, about the age when young people should have not a lot of empty, vacuous adult words in their heads about how wonderful and "gifted" they are, but instead, they should have a vast quantity of actual, lived experiences in which they found success instead. And those silly words hobble them by basically getting them addicted. Even young, they become afraid to take chances because, rather than forging ahead fearless of what others might say, they look around for that approval. They become timid and anxious, waiting for what others will think. The praise becomes a short-circuiting, short-term reward of sorts. Again--it makes them anxious and self-conscious.

You notice how anxious this generation is? We think that is why, at least in part.

That is just one way self-esteem goes down (badly). The other way is: kids actually DO take those words to heart and grow up to be diagnosable narcissists. We now have a narcissist rate among our young people of SEVENTY percent. That's right--70%. Not confident. Narcissism.

Tomorrow I should be able to provide links.
I can only speak from my first hand experience because I know what program I implemented. I can only take the word of others that they followed the same process I did.

Well that pretty much renders your claim false. My children are all in college. 1 on an athletic scholarship and the other 3 on academic scholarships. The eldest is working on her PHD in wildlife biology. Another is in aerospace engineering. To further demolish your argument they all tell me they are so happy we did what we did in making sure they had self esteem and pointing to their friends and acquaintances as examples of how terrible it must be to grow up in a household where self esteem was not intentionally installed.

Kids are anxious due to lack of self esteem not due to the presence of self esteem. Do you see why I keep saying you dont know what you are talking about? So far none of my children have displayed any narcissism. They are very caring and humble children that volunteer to help others. I see nothing in them that would make me think thats going to change.

You can provide links until your head hurts. I can provide links to contradict your links.

You'll find that most people who post about teaching here know absolutely nothing about it.
Youre a good example of the people who post here about teaching and know absolutely nothing about it.

Going on 25 years of teaching - real teaching, in real classrooms, with real students. How about you, big mouth?

Do.

The.

Research.

...says one of the most blatant, proven liars on this entire site...

Going on 25 years of teaching - real teaching, in real classrooms, with real students. How about you, big mouth?
Youre a known liar. Even if that was true, time on the job has jack shit to do with knowledge. Youre just a dead beat teacher at best and a security guard in all probability.

All children are NOT gifted. Sorry Mom and Dad but the majority of kids are average, and capable of achievement only if they apply themselves. That's just the way it is, but for some reason over the Left pushes this nonsense that all children are gifted, and it is up to the teachers to unlock their gifts. And if they don't I suppose it's the failure of the teacher, the school, the government or Donald Trump or Russia or who knows. Anything but admitting your kid is just part of that wide swath of average intelligence and limited talent. The problem is if you do not face that reality, you are setting your child up for colossal failure in adult life. The earlier you recognize your kid is not the next Elon Musk the earlier you can put him or her on a different track where they can be successful.
all kids may not be gifted, but all kids are gifts....(coming from a person's perspective who was medically unable to have kids of her and her husband's own.....) :(
Oh I fully agree with that! But that is something very different from the discussion of whether or not all children are gifted. Sorry that you were unable to have your own kids, did you ever consider adoption?

Youre a known liar. Even if that was true, time on the job has jack shit to do with knowledge. Youre just a dead beat teacher at best and a security guard in all probability.

There’s the “rubber and glue “ response, right on cue. You’re a predictable troll.

There’s the “rubber and glue “ response, right on cue. You’re a predictable troll.
Youre just a unpredictable loser troll.

By definition most people are average

Statistically half of all people fall below the 50th percentile

So no all children are not gifted
By what definition? Who told you that? More importantly why did you believe it and allow it to hold you back?

Never held me back

Life is a continuum and there is no spot on that continuum that is vacant

You really think every single person on this planet is gifted be it with intelligence, beauty, strength or any other quality?

If you do, you are not only naive but stupid
Obviously you left out the last and factually correct option. I am in a place you can only in your wildest dreams hope of elevating to. How do I know this? You cant even remember who told you that you were average. Yours is a lifetime spending time around below average people.

I have never been average. Unlike you

That's OK. Being below average is OK.

Just kidding! You are dead on point in this thread!

Last edited:

Of course. "Gifted" and gifts are different.

I'm very sorry you couldn't have your own children, maybe there's another way!

The other poster has four great kids so that proves the research false, no matter that we have an absolute mental health crisis. She talks to people so there it is. Research!!

Self-esteem!!!......"Selfies" Certainly there's no link that can be made there even if you do no research whatsoever.

Oh, and here's something to think about. "Everything is great because my kids are fine, and after all, it's all about MY KIDS. Hey....have I told you about MY FANTASTIC KIDS????"

That's like self-esteem by Munchausen or something isn't it? I bet we could write books. Siiiiiigh

Forum List

Back