"All Children Are Gifted" another load of crap shoveled by the Left.

Never held me back

Life is a continuum and there is no spot on that continuum that is vacant

You really think every single person on this planet is gifted be it with intelligence, beauty, strength or any other quality?

If you do, you are not only naive but stupid
Obviously you left out the last and factually correct option. I am in a place you can only in your wildest dreams hope of elevating to. How do I know this? You cant even remember who told you that you were average. Yours is a lifetime spending time around below average people.

I have never been average. Unlike you
You simply lack the self awareness to understand you are below average. You proved you are below average when you made the claim that by definition most people were average. Only a below average person would let this type of erroneous thinking find a foot hold in their brain.

no only average and below average people think everyone is gifted

People who believe everyone is gifted are responsible for the participation trophy
I'm way above average and I know most children are gifted.

People that believe all children are not gifted are responsible for below average adults.

Get ready to hand out those participation trophies

If all children are gifted then how come most of them will end up being work a day wage slaves ?
Because some below average person such as yourself will repeatedly tell them that working to make someone else wealthy is how its done.

Funny I haven't worked for anyone but myself since I was in my late 20's

Who do you work for?
Yeah sure. Like I really believe you. :laughing0301:

I work for myself and teach others to emulate my example if at all possible.

If all children are gifted then how come most of them will end up being work a day wage slaves ?
Because some below average person such as yourself will repeatedly tell them that working to make someone else wealthy is how its done.

Riddle me this

If you think everyone is gifted how can anyone be average?
Simple. Below average losers such as yourself convince them not to use their gifts. See this is how we know you are below average. Youre asking questions that point to your lack of awareness.

Obviously you left out the last and factually correct option. I am in a place you can only in your wildest dreams hope of elevating to. How do I know this? You cant even remember who told you that you were average. Yours is a lifetime spending time around below average people.

You simply lack the self awareness to understand you are below average. You proved you are below average when you made the claim that by definition most people were average. Only a below average person would let this type of erroneous thinking find a foot hold in their brain.

People who believe everyone is gifted are responsible for the participation trophy

People that believe all children are not gifted are responsible for below average adults.

I dont hand out participation trophies. There is only one winner.

Perhaps what we lament in this expression is that a simple fact is turned into a fantasy aspiration. Every parent wants to think his/her child is the next Mozart, Bill Gates, Unnamed prophet, Einstein, etc. "Gifted" such as that is rare almost to the point of disparing.
Each child does have a 'self' equally as anyone else does. What one makes of oneself in one's situation is the only measure of a person. As we should not worship 'heroes', we should not project upon the developing character of a child the necessity to try to be one. At least, not a hero in the exaggerated current sense.
What is important is to discover life and find the most satisfying path to happiness. Then one is a hero to the self that would have been frustrated, stunted and sick.
Thus, we lament that false value is placed upon dubious attributes.

I was a gifted child.

christmas1961.jpg

I'm on the right.

Maybe you have 4 gifted girls. Just like I have two gifted sons. Have you considered yours or my personal experience does not extrapolate to every kid? I have news for you. It doesn't.
I work with kids. I have yet to meet one thats not gifted. I dont know the count but I've been working with them for over 15 years. Surely I would have met just one average kid by now.
You must have a much broader definition of the term "gifted" than I do. Are you trying to tell me in 15 years you have not worked with an average kid? Give me a break that's ridiculous.
I would define gifted as having an exceptional talent.
I'm not trying to tell you...I am telling you. Its only ridiculous if you dont have the intelligence to see the giftedness of all children.

well....I've been teaching for 24 years. I have certainly seen a LOT of "average" children, you bet. But then, average children (and people) make the world go 'round. Many, many people are average, in fact. But all humans are unique, even if they are average.

Very, very few people are actually what we might call "gifted". That's my two cents anyway.
Sounds like you are jaded. I know quite a few teachers in my family and from my wife's family and they all are continually amazed at how each child has their own gift. Of course all people are unique but I am talking about gifted. People, children are only average if they spend too much time around below average people. Once the limits are taken off and expectations are raised they continually excel. I taught my children how to do Algebra before they even went to school. It was easy for them to pick up for the simple fact no one had polluted their brains with all the negative.

No, I am not jaded. But I do wonder how veteran teachers would be "continually amazed" that each child has their own gift--is that really what you meant to say? Because I think most teachers expect this after a very short time. In fact I think it's common sense. Most children struggle in some areas and find success in others. That's, in fact, average. A few children struggle in everything; some achieve in everything.

But I think we may differ in what we call "gifted" and I wish my profession were a lot more precise. Simply being above-average or "smart" in something is not "gifted" in my opinion. Smart, above-average, talented people learn easily and achieve. Almost every child is this is some area or another. Gifted people--truly gifted--do not need much teaching or perhaps none at all. They forge trails and break boundaries without the teaching.

I don't think we do ourselves many favors when we use imprecise language. We oversell. It doesn't help children's "Self-esteem" at any rate--a movement, in any case, which has definitely done more harm than good. But that's a topic for another day.

I work with kids. I have yet to meet one thats not gifted. I dont know the count but I've been working with them for over 15 years. Surely I would have met just one average kid by now.
You must have a much broader definition of the term "gifted" than I do. Are you trying to tell me in 15 years you have not worked with an average kid? Give me a break that's ridiculous.
I'm not trying to tell you...I am telling you. Its only ridiculous if you dont have the intelligence to see the giftedness of all children.

well....I've been teaching for 24 years. I have certainly seen a LOT of "average" children, you bet. But then, average children (and people) make the world go 'round. Many, many people are average, in fact. But all humans are unique, even if they are average.

Very, very few people are actually what we might call "gifted". That's my two cents anyway.
Sounds like you are jaded. I know quite a few teachers in my family and from my wife's family and they all are continually amazed at how each child has their own gift. Of course all people are unique but I am talking about gifted. People, children are only average if they spend too much time around below average people. Once the limits are taken off and expectations are raised they continually excel. I taught my children how to do Algebra before they even went to school. It was easy for them to pick up for the simple fact no one had polluted their brains with all the negative.

No, I am not jaded. But I do wonder how veteran teachers would be "continually amazed" that each child has their own gift--is that really what you meant to say? Because I think most teachers expect this after a very short time. In fact I think it's common sense. Most children struggle in some areas and find success in others. That's, in fact, average. A few children struggle in everything; some achieve in everything.

But I think we may differ in what we call "gifted" and I wish my profession were a lot more precise. Simply being above-average or "smart" in something is not "gifted" in my opinion. Smart, above-average, talented people learn easily and achieve. Almost every child is this is some area or another. Gifted people--truly gifted--do not need much teaching or perhaps none at all. They forge trails and break boundaries without the teaching.

I don't think we do ourselves many favors when we use imprecise language. We oversell. It doesn't help children's "Self-esteem" at any rate--a movement, in any case, which has definitely done more harm than good. But that's a topic for another day.
Your first sentence is the definition of jaded. The fact that you wonder how veteran teachers are continually amazed is a red flag. There are many veterans of any profession that are continually amazed about some aspect of their job. Those are the ones that make superior and above average professionals.

Gifted by no means implies there is nothing that you struggle with. You can be gifted in 1 or many areas and still lack in others. Smart, above average, talented people are the result of having people in their lives that place no limits on what they can achieve. When they are shown what is possible instead of being held back by below average peoples belief in mediocrity they become "gifted". Your claim that gifted people need no teaching is borderline ignorant. Unless you are raised in a bubble away from all humans you are continually being taught.

I believe and have the proof that when you are specific about your language with children you bring out all their potential. You cant oversell the truth and yes self esteem is one of the main ingredients in creating gifted and amazing adults.

Your first sentence is the definition of jaded. The fact that you wonder how veteran teachers are continually amazed is a red flag. There are many veterans of any profession that are continually amazed about some aspect of their job. Those are the ones that make superior and above average professionals.

Gifted by no means implies there is nothing that you struggle with. You can be gifted in 1 or many areas and still lack in others. Smart, above average, talented people are the result of having people in their lives that place no limits on what they can achieve. When they are shown what is possible instead of being held back by below average peoples belief in mediocrity they become "gifted". Your claim that gifted people need no teaching is borderline ignorant. Unless you are raised in a bubble away from all humans you are continually being taught.

I believe and have the proof that when you are specific about your language with children you bring out all their potential. You cant oversell the truth and yes self esteem is one of the main ingredients in creating gifted and amazing adults.

1. Are you a teacher? I am, and I could tell you my credentials but I won't brag--truth. And I am here to tell you that the teachers do not walk around thinking so poorly of their students that they are "constantly amazed" that they have unique talents. We EXPECT this. Great teachers do not come into the lounge like star-struck ingenues saying "I can't believe that these little children can do such amazing things!" all the time. This is baseline. We KNOW they can. That's why we are in the profession. Seriously--what?

2. Where did I say that because I don't think "all children are gifted", that I therefore must place limits on my students' lives? Sounds like you have bought into the self-esteem witch doctoring. You need to do your research.

3. Yep you sure have. The "self-esteem movement" has crippled an entire generation. I have had a front row seat for it and I can tell you--it is bad. Anxiety, depression, crippling fear. Helicopter parents, tears, separation anxiety, narcissism. Do the research. It's bad.

In short: one of the worst things you can do for children is basically tell them everything they do is "AMAZING! And you're GIFTED!" Without giving them hard, difficult, even arduous things to achieve, and then just acknowledging that they did it--and allowing them to feel all the hard-earned and appropriate gratification from that. That is why we are where we are.

1. Are you a teacher? I am, and I could tell you my credentials but I won't brag--truth. And I am here to tell you that the teachers do not walk around thinking so poorly of their students that they are "constantly amazed" that they have unique talents. We EXPECT this. Great teachers do not come into the lounge like star-struck ingenues saying "I can't believe that these little children can do such amazing things!" all the time. This is baseline. We KNOW they can. That's why we are in the profession. Seriously--what?

2. Where did I say that because I don't think "all children are gifted", that I therefore must place limits on my students' lives? Sounds like you have bought into the self-esteem witch doctoring. You need to do your research.

3. Yep you sure have. The "self-esteem movement" has crippled an entire generation. I have had a front row seat for it and I can tell you--it is bad. Anxiety, depression, crippling fear. Helicopter parents, tears, separation anxiety, narcissism. Do the research. It's bad.

In short: one of the worst things you can do for children is basically tell them everything they do is "AMAZING! And you're GIFTED!" Without giving them hard, difficult, even arduous things to achieve, and then just acknowledging that they did it--and allowing them to feel all the hard-earned and appropriate gratification from that. That is why we are where we are.
I worked one place where they had employee of the month awards. The laziest most useless people were always given this "award". They asked me one time why I never got and I said that I didn't want to be in that group.

Never thought of it like that but yes I am a teacher. Not credentialed which doesnt mean much because I have seen and experienced some scrub ass teachers I dont care what you are here to tell me. I know differently as I pointed out I have teachers in my family and as friends. Scrub teachers that are jaded are the ones that are not continually amazed with how gifted children are. Amazing teachers will always talk about how amazing children are.

You didnt have to say it. Your belief that all children are not gifted directs your philosophy regarding the students. Hence you hold them back by virtue of your beliefs. I dont have to do any research on self esteem. I have plenty of evidence that teaching self esteem results in amazing individuals.

No what you have is a front row seat for are children that were taught to break down at the mere hint of adversity. Self esteem teaches you to kick adversity in the ass. it teaches you to overcome obstacles by virtue of the fact that you cant be stopped unless you quit. Like my favorite rapper says.

"I realize I was supposed to reach for the skies.
Never let somebody try to tell you otherwise."
-Black Thought

Funny I haven't worked for anyone but myself since I was in my late 20's

Who do you work for?
Yeah sure. Like I really believe you. :laughing0301:

I work for myself and teach others to emulate my example if at all possible.

Yeah sure like I believe you

I dont hand out participation trophies. There is only one winner.

Not if you think everyone is gifted

That's why average wannabes like to say things like everyone is gifted because it makes them feel better about themselves

Never thought of it like that but yes I am a teacher. Not credentialed which doesnt mean much because I have seen and experienced some scrub ass teachers I dont care what you are here to tell me. I know differently as I pointed out I have teachers in my family and as friends. Scrub teachers that are jaded are the ones that are not continually amazed with how gifted children are. Amazing teachers will always talk about how amazing children are.

You didnt have to say it. Your belief that all children are not gifted directs your philosophy regarding the students. Hence you hold them back by virtue of your beliefs. I dont have to do any research on self esteem. I have plenty of evidence that teaching self esteem results in amazing individuals.

No what you have is a front row seat for are children that were taught to break down at the mere hint of adversity. Self esteem teaches you to kick adversity in the ass. it teaches you to overcome obstacles by virtue of the fact that you cant be stopped unless you quit. Like my favorite rapper says.

-Black Thought

Well the propensity to not be open-minded and not want to learn aka "I don't care what you are here to tell me"...tells me a lot. You know what credentialed teachers do? We research. We learn. We pay attention not only to what makes children "feel good" but to what actually WORKS. And you know what works?

Not mindless "self esteem" stroking. And that is the research. The research states that the more you stroke their self-esteem with no cause, the less fit for adversity they are.

Do.

The.

Research.

-Black Thought

Well the propensity to not be open-minded and not want to learn aka "I don't care what you are here to tell me"...tells me a lot. You know what credentialed teachers do? We research. We learn. We pay attention not only to what makes children "feel good" but to what actually WORKS. And you know what works?

Not mindless "self esteem" stroking. And that is the research. The research states that the more you stroke their self-esteem with no cause, the less fit for adversity they are.

Do.

The.

Research.
Its obvious you have never researched the issue. Your claim that self esteem is a bad thing is ignorant and alarming for someone that claims to educate children. Without self esteem people doubt they can do anything. If you doubt yourself then you have difficulty learning.

Don’t expect asslickius to know what he’s talking about, or to be honest about it if he did.

-Black Thought

Do.

The.

Research.
Its obvious you have never researched the issue. Your claim that self esteem is a bad thing is ignorant and alarming for someone that claims to educate children. Without self esteem people doubt they can do anything. If you doubt yourself then you have difficulty learning.

Again, read what I said. I never said "self esteem is a bad thing", I said the self esteem MOVEMENT has been a failure, which is undeniably has. Any teacher with good instincts probably could have told you this from the beginning. It turns out that telling children how glorious and wonderful they are before they have achieved anything is crippling. Of course you tell them you love and care about them; that's not the issue. Of course you believe in them. Also not the issue. You don't give them empty praise for no reason. That IS the issue. You don't needlessly inflate their "gifts", which they can smell through anyway. That IS an issue.

There is a body of research on this. I'm sorry you haven't availed yourself of it. I need a few more creds to begin posting links, but you can begin looking up the research by Roy Baumeister.

-Black Thought

Do.

The.

Research.

Again, read what I said. I never said "self esteem is a bad thing", I said the self esteem MOVEMENT has been a failure, which is undeniably has. Any teacher with good instincts probably could have told you this from the beginning. It turns out that telling children how glorious and wonderful they are before they have achieved anything is crippling. Of course you tell them you love and care about them; that's not the issue. Of course you believe in them. Also not the issue. You don't give them empty praise for no reason. That IS the issue. You don't needlessly inflate their "gifts", which they can smell through anyway. That IS an issue.

There is a body of research on this. I'm sorry you haven't availed yourself of it. I need a few more creds to begin posting links, but you can begin looking up the research by Roy Baumeister.

"It turns out that telling children how glorious and wonderful they are before they have achieved anything is crippling."

This is why I say you dont know what you are tallking about. Turns out that if you tell children how wonderful and glorious they are long before they face a challenge they have the confidence to excel. There is a body of research on this and plenty of evidence in everyday life to back it up. I'm pretty sure you are unaware of this because you are poor teacher.

-Black Thought

Do.

The.

Research.

"It turns out that telling children how glorious and wonderful they are before they have achieved anything is crippling."

This is why I say you dont know what you are tallking about. Turns out that if you tell children how wonderful and glorious they are long before they face a challenge they have the confidence to excel. There is a body of research on this and plenty of evidence in everyday life to back it up. I'm pretty sure you are unaware of this because you are poor teacher.

They have SOME confidence to excel, and then become addicted to the empty words. And then they become hobbled, or "crippled" by the empty praise, and turn out depending on IT more than, say, actual achievement. That's why we have a generation showing up at new jobs wanting employee-of-the-month and other attaboys before they have achieved a single blessed thing. They do not understand nor value the absolute soul-deep satisfaction of a job well done for its sake alone. They have been robbed of it by a generation of dopey parents and teachers who stood above them and cooed constantly.

And btw, I'm not just a good teacher; I'm considered a Master Teacher with many awards who has been nationally published. You might consider this post why, in fact, because I use my summers researching and not just swallowing the pabulum of whatever the culture is spitting out. And the Self Esteem Movement is absolute, fad-culture pabulum that has yielded devastating effects.

-Black Thought

Do.

The.

Research.

They have SOME confidence to excel, and then become addicted to the empty words. And then they become hobbled, or "crippled" by the empty praise, and turn out depending on IT more than, say, actual achievement. That's why we have a generation showing up at new jobs wanting employee-of-the-month and other attaboys before they have achieved a single blessed thing. They do not understand nor value the absolute soul-deep satisfaction of a job well done for its sake alone. They have been robbed of it by a generation of dopey parents and teachers who stood above them and cooed constantly.

And btw, I'm not just a good teacher; I'm considered a Master Teacher with many awards who has been nationally published. You might consider this post why, in fact, because I use my summers researching and not just swallowing the pabulum of whatever the culture is spitting out. And the Self Esteem Movement is absolute, fad-culture pabulum that has yielded devastating effects.

You'll find that most people who post about teaching here know absolutely nothing about it.

Forum List

Back