Alien Life? You better hope God exists!

I constantly hear the speculations over the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere in our universe from people who completely dismiss any possibility of a Creator God. I find this extraordinary to say the least. I know this thread will spark a contentious debate but I believe it's one well worth exploring. This, of course, is simply a matter of philosophy, which is why I chose the Religion and Ethics forum instead of Science and Technology. We have no evidence life exists anywhere but planet Earth.

I would like to set aside the various arguments for religious philosophies and focus on the aspects of logic and reason in examining the question at hand. Does intelligent life exist elsewhere? The primary argument to conclude that it likely does, relies on the sheer number of stars and planets. Because there are trillions of stars and each one is likely to have a rocky planet in a zone compatible for conditions of life, some will assume the possibility is very likely. I would like to disabuse you of this notion.

First of all, we have to consider that intelligent life on this planet is the result of many circumstances over the course of 4.5 billion years, if we are to believe the modern scientific theories regarding evolution, etc. We'll stick with the current scientific parameters as opposed to quirky young earth creationist dogma, and let's see how this works out.

We don't know how life originated. Whatever happened was extremely unusual and rare because it doesn't seem to be happening anymore and there is no evidence of it happening anywhere else. But let's take for granted that some mysterious combinations in the forces of physics and nature combined at the perfect place and time to originate life on Earth. It seems reasonable to conclude the unique conditions of our planet may have contributed in some way, but they certainly contributed to the "evolution" of life once it had originated. Our wobbly orbit, caused by a careening body which formed our Moon, which fell into perfect geosynchronous orbit and caused tides and seasons to happen... all of which tremendously contribute to the sustainability of life and life cycles. The presence of abundant water in liquid form. A molten iron-nickel core which gives us a protective magnetic field. Atmospheric pressure which prevents our liquid source of water from evaporating into space. And dozens of other things which contribute to an environment conducive to life in general.

Logically, when we begin to narrow down the billions of possible planetary candidates which could even support life, the odds become exponentially less and less with each of these criteria applied. Okay, so maybe one in a billion planets could support life? That still means there is a good possibility it might exist elsewhere. But what form does it take? All we have to go by is what data we have here on Earth.

Nature, left to it's own evolution, produced a planet teaming with dinosaurs. Big giant lizards and flying reptiles... nothing approaching intelligent life. It took a rare cosmic event, supposedly an asteroid striking the planet and wiping out the dinosaurs but not wiping out all life forms. From there, the reemerging life spawned mammals which gave rise to primates and then humans. So now we have at least two distinct cosmic events of interaction, the moon collision and the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs, which had to happen at a precise point in time for there to be any form of intelligent life on Earth. And that is if you don't count whatever cosmic phenomenon gave us all the water while no other planets around us seemed to get any.

Setting aside religion, at some point, don't you have to consider the number of miraculous events which had to happen as they did, for intelligent life to exist here? What would be the odds of those same events happening elsewhere? I believe it is all but impossible that another intelligent life form exists elsewhere unless there is a Creator. A force beyond the physical which intelligently set into motion the precise events and phenomenon which had to occur for intelligent life to emerge.

Aliens drove by and looked at our solar system and didn't see any life here. How could they have missed us?

I constantly hear the speculations over the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere in our universe from people who completely dismiss any possibility of a Creator God. I find this extraordinary to say the least. I know this thread will spark a contentious debate but I believe it's one well worth exploring. This, of course, is simply a matter of philosophy, which is why I chose the Religion and Ethics forum instead of Science and Technology. We have no evidence life exists anywhere but planet Earth.

I would like to set aside the various arguments for religious philosophies and focus on the aspects of logic and reason in examining the question at hand. Does intelligent life exist elsewhere? The primary argument to conclude that it likely does, relies on the sheer number of stars and planets. Because there are trillions of stars and each one is likely to have a rocky planet in a zone compatible for conditions of life, some will assume the possibility is very likely. I would like to disabuse you of this notion.

First of all, we have to consider that intelligent life on this planet is the result of many circumstances over the course of 4.5 billion years, if we are to believe the modern scientific theories regarding evolution, etc. We'll stick with the current scientific parameters as opposed to quirky young earth creationist dogma, and let's see how this works out.

We don't know how life originated. Whatever happened was extremely unusual and rare because it doesn't seem to be happening anymore and there is no evidence of it happening anywhere else. But let's take for granted that some mysterious combinations in the forces of physics and nature combined at the perfect place and time to originate life on Earth. It seems reasonable to conclude the unique conditions of our planet may have contributed in some way, but they certainly contributed to the "evolution" of life once it had originated. Our wobbly orbit, caused by a careening body which formed our Moon, which fell into perfect geosynchronous orbit and caused tides and seasons to happen... all of which tremendously contribute to the sustainability of life and life cycles. The presence of abundant water in liquid form. A molten iron-nickel core which gives us a protective magnetic field. Atmospheric pressure which prevents our liquid source of water from evaporating into space. And dozens of other things which contribute to an environment conducive to life in general.

Logically, when we begin to narrow down the billions of possible planetary candidates which could even support life, the odds become exponentially less and less with each of these criteria applied. Okay, so maybe one in a billion planets could support life? That still means there is a good possibility it might exist elsewhere. But what form does it take? All we have to go by is what data we have here on Earth.

Nature, left to it's own evolution, produced a planet teaming with dinosaurs. Big giant lizards and flying reptiles... nothing approaching intelligent life. It took a rare cosmic event, supposedly an asteroid striking the planet and wiping out the dinosaurs but not wiping out all life forms. From there, the reemerging life spawned mammals which gave rise to primates and then humans. So now we have at least two distinct cosmic events of interaction, the moon collision and the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs, which had to happen at a precise point in time for there to be any form of intelligent life on Earth. And that is if you don't count whatever cosmic phenomenon gave us all the water while no other planets around us seemed to get any.

Setting aside religion, at some point, don't you have to consider the number of miraculous events which had to happen as they did, for intelligent life to exist here? What would be the odds of those same events happening elsewhere? I believe it is all but impossible that another intelligent life form exists elsewhere unless there is a Creator. A force beyond the physical which intelligently set into motion the precise events and phenomenon which had to occur for intelligent life to emerge.
they are simply demons

they are simply demons
The aliens are demons or other way around? Those angels and demons you saw may have been aliens

they are simply demons
The aliens are demons or other way around? Those angels and demons you saw may have been aliens
nah...lol

they are simply demons
nah...lol

And we are supposed to convert to your religion based on what's going on inside your head?

they are simply demons
nah...lol

And we are supposed to convert to your religion based on what's going on inside your head?
absolutely not - based on you meeting Jesus yourself...

they are simply demons
nah...lol

Are you a Republican?

they are simply demons
nah...lol

Are you a Republican?
I dunno why but this question at this juncture was hilarious lol

nah...lol

Are you a Republican?
Well I just found out that RWNJ is homeless. He says he needs to get off his fat ass and go apply for Section 8 housing. Meanwhile Ben Carson is trying to do away with Section 8 housing.

they are simply demons
nah...lol

I feel a personal relationship with god OR I experienced god.
Argument from personal experience [2].

A result of our naturally evolved neurology, made hypersensitive to purpose (an ‘unseen actor’) because of the large social groups humans have and the way the brain associates pattern with intent.

Humans have evolved a variety of cognitive shortcuts to deal with the mass of information provided by our senses. In particular, we tend to filter sensory input according to a set of expectations built on prior beliefs and past experiences, impart meaning to ambiguous input even when there is no real meaning behind it and infer causal relationships where none exist.

Personal revelation cannot be independently verified. So-called ‘revelations’ never include information a recipient could not have known beforehand, such as the time and location of a rare event or answers to any number of unsolved problems in science. They are usually emotional or perceptual in content and therefore unremarkable among the many cognitive processes brains exhibit, including dreams and hallucinations. These experiences may even be artificially induced by narcotics or magnetic fields. Extreme cases may be diagnosed as a form of schizophrenia or psychosis.

Spiritual and religious experiences are not only inconsistent among individuals but are variably attributed to different gods, aliens, spirits, rituals, hallucinations, meditation etc. The fact that medical conditions and other natural processes [2] can induce these experiences is evidence they are produced by our brain.

“You can tell you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” – Anne Lamott

QhG4I.jpg

nah...lol

Are you a Republican?
Well I just found out that RWNJ is homeless. He says he needs to get off his fat ass and go apply for Section 8 housing. Meanwhile Ben Carson is trying to do away with Section 8 housing.
Homeless and posting here in his leisure?

they are simply demons
nah...lol

I feel a personal relationship with god OR I experienced god.
Argument from personal experience [2].

A result of our naturally evolved neurology, made hypersensitive to purpose (an ‘unseen actor’) because of the large social groups humans have and the way the brain associates pattern with intent.

Humans have evolved a variety of cognitive shortcuts to deal with the mass of information provided by our senses. In particular, we tend to filter sensory input according to a set of expectations built on prior beliefs and past experiences, impart meaning to ambiguous input even when there is no real meaning behind it and infer causal relationships where none exist.

Personal revelation cannot be independently verified. So-called ‘revelations’ never include information a recipient could not have known beforehand, such as the time and location of a rare event or answers to any number of unsolved problems in science. They are usually emotional or perceptual in content and therefore unremarkable among the many cognitive processes brains exhibit, including dreams and hallucinations. These experiences may even be artificially induced by narcotics or magnetic fields. Extreme cases may be diagnosed as a form of schizophrenia or psychosis.

Spiritual and religious experiences are not only inconsistent among individuals but are variably attributed to different gods, aliens, spirits, rituals, hallucinations, meditation etc. The fact that medical conditions and other natural processes [2] can induce these experiences is evidence they are produced by our brain.

“You can tell you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” – Anne Lamott

QhG4I.jpg
lol too funny

Just a guess. Chemical reactions of naturally occurring carbon with other elements like hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen.

Sorry, no chemical reaction we know of creates life. It just doesn't happen that way. Life comes from other life. Until you can discover how it originates, all you have is speculation and a faith-based belief in a theory you cannot support.

Yesterday I was watching a show on our Milky Way galaxy. We are just one planet surrounding one small star in a network of 400 billion stars. And the amount of distance between each star in our galaxy is mind blowing. The idea that we are alone in the universe is laughable. And how many galaxies are in the universe? Roughly 200 billion.

You looking out into the universe with your telescope and determining that there is no other life out there is like me sticking my head in the ocean and determining there are no tardigrades or whales in there.

With at least 200 billion galaxies out there (and possibly even more), we're very likely talking about a Universe filled with around 1024 planets, or, for those of you who like it written out, around1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in our observable Universe.

Just a guess. Chemical reactions of naturally occurring carbon with other elements like hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen.

Sorry, no chemical reaction we know of creates life. It just doesn't happen that way. Life comes from other life. Until you can discover how it originates, all you have is speculation and a faith-based belief in a theory you cannot support.

Yesterday I was watching a show on our Milky Way galaxy. We are just one planet surrounding one small star in a network of 400 billion stars. And the amount of distance between each star in our galaxy is mind blowing. The idea that we are alone in the universe is laughable. And how many galaxies are in the universe? Roughly 200 billion.

You looking out into the universe with your telescope and determining that there is no other life out there is like me sticking my head in the ocean and determining there are no tardigrades or whales in there.

With at least 200 billion galaxies out there (and possibly even more), we're very likely talking about a Universe filled with around 1024 planets, or, for those of you who like it written out, around1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets in our observable Universe.
Boss died. sealy.

Boss died. sealy.
No! Omg I’m going to miss him. He was a very intelligent man. Great debater. I never ever felt I had bested him. It’s guys like him I come here. Very sad. As if a friend died sad. I hope I wasn’t too mean but I feel like he knew I respected and appreciated him.

Boss died. sealy.
No! Omg I’m going to miss him. He was a very intelligent man. Great debater. I never ever felt I had bested him. It’s guys like him I come here. Very sad. As if a friend died sad. I hope I wasn’t too mean but I feel like he knew I respected and appreciated him.
Yeah, it was pretty sad and shocking news.

A mod made a condolences thread in the General Discussion area.

Boss died. sealy.
I miss his replies already. I'm more sad about boss than I was two neighbors who died recently. I guess that makes sense I know more about what you people think than I do my neighbors. I don't know if they believe in god, if they are Republicans, in fact the guy across the hall who killed himself was gay. I didn't know that! Hell the guy at work is gay it took me 2 years to figure it out.

How well do we know the people we know, ya know?

• Thanks
Reactions: GT

Forum List

Back