Advice wanted and needed on future

Preacher

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2015
Georgia Mountains
I am 33 years old,have a GED and a Class B cdl which I never got to use due to a back injury requiring surgery RIGHT after I got my CDL and at this time my driving record is so bad no trucking company would take a chance on me and pay the high insurance. Been on disability due to the back injury but I am sick and tired of sitting around doing nothing,now wife is in college for medical assistant and I want to do something as well problem is I have NO CLUE what I want to do.

Would LOVE to be a librarian but its a 4 year degree and would be online because only 1 college which is a pain to get into,would LOVE to be a history teacher again same issue its 4 year degree. I tried college once at a technical college and didn't even get through 1 semester because I foolishly went into Computer Science because I liked computers only to realize I found it EXTREMELY boring to want to work on them etc so I quit....dumb move now that I look back....so any ideas here? I thought about being a Paralegal but reading on it says most people want a 4 year degree now and I just don't have the patience to get through that...I think I can push myself to get a 2 year degree though...I just don't have the patience to take pointless classes like college wanted me to do...I have applied for a Library Assistant job but doubt I will get it as it prefers someone who speaks Spanish as well as English but who knows. So any ideas?

Oh and I would love to get into heavy equipment operation but not much around here for that there are schools but not exactly got the money for it. I am going to call the department of labor tomorrow because they sent me something that says they will pay to retrain me in something but I need some clue as to what I want to do before I do that or its just a waste of time. I am interested in being a game warden but don't have the physical abilities and I have a record that's been sealed but still it would hold me back from that. I really have no interest in being a drag on society any longer its grown very old I just want to support my family best I can and wife going back to college has lit a fire under my ass.

Not for nothing dude, but you have told us all the things you would like to do that you are not qualified for, or have no desire to get the necessary degrees to do the jobs you want.

Wanna tell us the things you actually like doing? Stuff like what are your hobbies, what you enjoy doing now that you are able to do and a list of your current abilities and talents.

I could help you with that if you like, but you have to give me something to work with, not all the stuff you cannot or will not do.

For the last 2 1/2 years of my Navy career, I was the Head Classifier at Amarillo MEPS. That means that I was the guy that put people who were enlisting in the job that they wanted (if I had a billet available). I'm pretty sure I could come up with something if you give some more information.

Schools are crashing right now. I'm not sure how valuable any degree is going to be in 5 years.

I would go with a History or Math degree. Or English. We need real English and History teachers to take the place of the sad sack "language arts" and "social studies" commies who are going to be routed out of our schools over the next few years.

If you have a bad back, avoid the heavy equipment stuff. My son is a certified diesel mechanic, has a degree and everything. He did that for about 4 years and he is never doing it again, he hates it, it is physically punishing and he's looking for something else now.

Not for nothing dude, but you have told us all the things you would like to do that you are not qualified for, or have no desire to get the necessary degrees to do the jobs you want.

Wanna tell us the things you actually like doing? Stuff like what are your hobbies, what you enjoy doing now that you are able to do and a list of your current abilities and talents.

I could help you with that if you like, but you have to give me something to work with, not all the stuff you cannot or will not do.

For the last 2 1/2 years of my Navy career, I was the Head Classifier at Amarillo MEPS. That means that I was the guy that put people who were enlisting in the job that they wanted (if I had a billet available). I'm pretty sure I could come up with something if you give some more information.
Love to read,love to research things,love politics and the news. I SUCK at math so any kind of career like that is out...I can drive ANYTHING with an engine and would love to go to the heavy equipment school but with 4 kids and a wife in college I just can't be away from home for 8 weeks and it sucks bc there is a school about 85 miles away near Atlanta.

If you have a bad back, avoid the heavy equipment stuff. My son is a certified diesel mechanic, has a degree and everything. He did that for about 4 years and he is never doing it again, he hates it, it is physically punishing and he's looking for something else now.
Got an ex brother in law that does the Diesel Mechanic thing...makes damn good money...wish I had cared more bout this when I was much younger or my CDL career had worked out because I love driving trucks.

My first job was working in a laundry pressing pants when I was 15. The conditions were hot and unpleasant.
I then took a job at a place where most new hires left at lunch time because the job was too tough. It was worse than pressing pants.

Please forgive me not having any sympathy for you snowflakes.

Got an ex brother in law that does the Diesel Mechanic thing...makes damn good money...wish I had cared more bout this when I was much younger or my CDL career had worked out because I love driving trucks.

My boy made good money too, but he absolutely hated it. The hours and the conditions are brutal.

Go for History. Then write a book lol.

UBER - cab drivers make a lot.

Have you checked a local votechnical high schools? Our local votech school actually offers adult education in welding and other things that is far less expensive than college. College sounds great but a wife and 4 kids, can you really afford to take that on? I don't know. That is something you have to evaluate but there the further the down the road of life you go, the more difficult it is to recup that return on investment. You are kind of all over the place in what you are thinking. Everything from librarian to teacher to heavy equip operator. It is great to find something that is interesting, but sometimes you just have to find what is reasonable and practical and go for that because you have to put food on the table.
Are there any local industries that may be hiring that could use some of your knowledge? I would start there. Maybe you could start at something modest and then get additional training through a good company.

Love to read,love to research things,love politics and the news. I SUCK at math so any kind of career like that is out...I can drive ANYTHING with an engine and would love to go to the heavy equipment school but with 4 kids and a wife in college I just can't be away from home for 8 weeks and it sucks bc there is a school about 85 miles away near Atlanta.

If you love to read, and research things, as well as enjoy politics, have you ever considered a career in broadcast television? I know that here in Amarillo, about every 6 months, the television stations start advertising that they need people for selling advertising or helping with research in reporting. Most require you to have a GED or higher, and also want you to have a driver's license and your own transportation. Pay for here starts around 10-15 / hr. and they train you.

There’s an old saying:

If you haven’t made it by the time you’re 30, chances are you’re not going to.

If you like to read, you like to research, you like politics, you don't want to go to school for 4 years, and you think you might have issues getting into some schools, then I'd say go to be a paralegal. You could take online courses and get an Associate's Degree. If you actually want a useful skill for the future however, that you can also learn through an online program, you should learn to do computer coding. Of course since you are a racist piece of crap, whatever career you choose, you need to learn how to deal with people you despise. :)

Have you checked a local votechnical high schools? Our local votech school actually offers adult education in welding and other things that is far less expensive than college. College sounds great but a wife and 4 kids, can you really afford to take that on? I don't know. That is something you have to evaluate but there the further the down the road of life you go, the more difficult it is to recup that return on investment. You are kind of all over the place in what you are thinking. Everything from librarian to teacher to heavy equip operator. It is great to find something that is interesting, but sometimes you just have to find what is reasonable and practical and go for that because you have to put food on the table.
Are there any local industries that may be hiring that could use some of your knowledge? I would start there. Maybe you could start at something modest and then get additional training through a good company.
The chicken plant is hiring I guess mostly because when Trump became president all the Mexicans left and they have like 50 openings on 3rd shift. Not bad pay for what I am used to but not work I want to do either.

There’s an old saying:

If you haven’t made it by the time you’re 30, chances are you’re not going to.

Very untrue. I hadn't been to college since I was 28 and was able to score high enough on the GRE to get into a top notch grad school program.

Have you considered welding? If you get the certification, you can write your own ticket in most places and not all welding jobs entail heavy labor.

The chicken plant is hiring I guess mostly because when Trump became president all the Mexicans left and they have like 50 openings on 3rd shift. Not bad pay for what I am used to but not work I want to do either.
Sometimes you have to suck it up until you get something better lined up...

You don't want to do it? There a lot of jobs people "dont' want to do". Not a lot of people love cleaning out someone's septic tank. Or nailing shingles on a roof when it's 30 degrees out or crawling under homes to remove pests and on and on. Probably not a lot "want to" there. However, I do assume that you WANT TO, have a regular paycheck, stand up and be the man of the family and help support and provide, have some income to offer opportunities for your kids. Wouldn't that WANT TO over ride the "don't want to" of the chicken factory? Just my 2 cents.

Forum List

Back