Advice wanted and needed on future

And, if they have "50 openings", then sounds like there might be a way to go in, do a great job and potentially move into a supervisory position down the road if you prove yourself.

I just applied to a college online for a bachelors in library science degree. I mean its 1 class at a time which is different from I ever did before and classes are 5 weeks long and only 2 or 3 math classes and my mother is a retired math teacher so....should be no problem with getting help. Its 4 years but its better than spending 4 years doing nothing or working a job I don't want. My wife is doing a 2 year degree so she will be working in 2 years as a medical assistant and I will have hopefully 2 years left of college and hopefully becoming a librarian. I can't go through being a teacher bc I am not PC enough LOL but I can hopefully manage to bring in some non PC books at a library and help a new generation of kids with material to reach them! Wife is proud of me but I am scared to death of failing....

I just applied to a college online for a bachelors in library science degree. I mean its 1 class at a time which is different from I ever did before and classes are 5 weeks long and only 2 or 3 math classes and my mother is a retired math teacher so....should be no problem with getting help. Its 4 years but its better than spending 4 years doing nothing or working a job I don't want. My wife is doing a 2 year degree so she will be working in 2 years as a medical assistant and I will have hopefully 2 years left of college and hopefully becoming a librarian. I can't go through being a teacher bc I am not PC enough LOL but I can hopefully manage to bring in some non PC books at a library and help a new generation of kids with material to reach them! Wife is proud of me but I am scared to death of failing....
Good luck!

Schools are crashing right now. I'm not sure how valuable any degree is going to be in 5 years.

I would go with a History or Math degree. Or English. We need real English and History teachers to take the place of the sad sack "language arts" and "social studies" commies who are going to be routed out of our schools over the next few years.
What's the difference between Social Studies and History?

They offer a blacksmithing class at the local community college. I think that would be totally cool to learn. It wouldn't take much to make your own forge at home and then you could make knives and swords and cool stuff to sell at shows or online.

I am 33 years old,have a GED and a Class B cdl which I never got to use due to a back injury requiring surgery RIGHT after I got my CDL and at this time my driving record is so bad no trucking company would take a chance on me and pay the high insurance. Been on disability due to the back injury but I am sick and tired of sitting around doing nothing,now wife is in college for medical assistant and I want to do something as well problem is I have NO CLUE what I want to do.

Would LOVE to be a librarian but its a 4 year degree and would be online because only 1 college which is a pain to get into,would LOVE to be a history teacher again same issue its 4 year degree. I tried college once at a technical college and didn't even get through 1 semester because I foolishly went into Computer Science because I liked computers only to realize I found it EXTREMELY boring to want to work on them etc so I quit....dumb move now that I look back....so any ideas here? I thought about being a Paralegal but reading on it says most people want a 4 year degree now and I just don't have the patience to get through that...I think I can push myself to get a 2 year degree though...I just don't have the patience to take pointless classes like college wanted me to do...I have applied for a Library Assistant job but doubt I will get it as it prefers someone who speaks Spanish as well as English but who knows. So any ideas?

Oh and I would love to get into heavy equipment operation but not much around here for that there are schools but not exactly got the money for it. I am going to call the department of labor tomorrow because they sent me something that says they will pay to retrain me in something but I need some clue as to what I want to do before I do that or its just a waste of time. I am interested in being a game warden but don't have the physical abilities and I have a record that's been sealed but still it would hold me back from that. I really have no interest in being a drag on society any longer its grown very old I just want to support my family best I can and wife going back to college has lit a fire under my ass.

Try Prison Guard.

I am 33 years old,have a GED and a Class B cdl which I never got to use due to a back injury requiring surgery RIGHT after I got my CDL and at this time my driving record is so bad no trucking company would take a chance on me and pay the high insurance. Been on disability due to the back injury but I am sick and tired of sitting around doing nothing,now wife is in college for medical assistant and I want to do something as well problem is I have NO CLUE what I want to do.

Would LOVE to be a librarian but its a 4 year degree and would be online because only 1 college which is a pain to get into,would LOVE to be a history teacher again same issue its 4 year degree. I tried college once at a technical college and didn't even get through 1 semester because I foolishly went into Computer Science because I liked computers only to realize I found it EXTREMELY boring to want to work on them etc so I quit....dumb move now that I look back....so any ideas here? I thought about being a Paralegal but reading on it says most people want a 4 year degree now and I just don't have the patience to get through that...I think I can push myself to get a 2 year degree though...I just don't have the patience to take pointless classes like college wanted me to do...I have applied for a Library Assistant job but doubt I will get it as it prefers someone who speaks Spanish as well as English but who knows. So any ideas?

Oh and I would love to get into heavy equipment operation but not much around here for that there are schools but not exactly got the money for it. I am going to call the department of labor tomorrow because they sent me something that says they will pay to retrain me in something but I need some clue as to what I want to do before I do that or its just a waste of time. I am interested in being a game warden but don't have the physical abilities and I have a record that's been sealed but still it would hold me back from that. I really have no interest in being a drag on society any longer its grown very old I just want to support my family best I can and wife going back to college has lit a fire under my ass.

Try Prison Guard.

With his attitude towards minorities? Are you TRYING to get him killed? :lmao:

If you are going to do it right, tell him to take out a HUGE life insurance policy, THEN try prison guard... at least that way he takes care of his family.

It's a problem when you basically have to reach a certain area of work by a certain age and only with one choice.

This is why kids should be making decisions at the age of around 13 to 16. But often they don't have a clue. Some need to be pushed in one direction. We know there are kids who are good at certain things. But they also need to be given a chance to try things out. I got to a point where I had to make choices, and like you chose computers because.. I liked computers and hated it and failed it. I might have liked psychology, but they never told me about psychology. Some kids I knew went off and did psychology and I was like.... what is it?

I got kind of lucky in that I found a job I could get better at over time, though it doesn't pay so well, and I think had I had better knowledge of the whole process, I'd be in a better position right now. Though I'm happy where I am.

It's a problem when you basically have to reach a certain area of work by a certain age and only with one choice.

This is why kids should be making decisions at the age of around 13 to 16. But often they don't have a clue. Some need to be pushed in one direction. We know there are kids who are good at certain things. But they also need to be given a chance to try things out. I got to a point where I had to make choices, and like you chose computers because.. I liked computers and hated it and failed it. I might have liked psychology, but they never told me about psychology. Some kids I knew went off and did psychology and I was like.... what is it?

I got kind of lucky in that I found a job I could get better at over time, though it doesn't pay so well, and I think had I had better knowledge of the whole process, I'd be in a better position right now. Though I'm happy where I am.

Odd, my high school had a psychology class.

Lucky you. Mine didn't.

Lucky you. Mine didn't.

Yep that class was Sociology half the year and Psychology the second. We also had a class that was Social Studies half the year and Economics the second. The economics class even went over basic shit that helped get people ready for the real world, like getting a checking account, how to balance your budget, and even the proper way to fill out a check.

For some reason I had no idea what I wanted to do at that age. My older 3 seem to do. One wants to be an Art Teacher or Veterinarian,my son is interested in the military service so he can blow stuff up and is also interested in being a cop or fire fighter....he has been fascinated with cops and fire fighters his whole life and we try to push them towards those things as well. Doing complete opposite of what my parents did which was take a wait and see laid back approach. My 5 year old says she wants to be a teacher.

Lucky you. Mine didn't.

Yep that class was Sociology half the year and Psychology the second. We also had a class that was Social Studies half the year and Economics the second. The economics class even went over basic shit that helped get people ready for the real world, like getting a checking account, how to balance your budget, and even the proper way to fill out a check.

I've seen good schools and bad schools and the difference it can have on your life is amazing. For some reason the right seems to want to make schools the sort that don't help you for anything, in my experience.

Lucky you. Mine didn't.

I've seen good schools and bad schools and the difference it can have on your life is amazing. For some reason the right seems to want to make schools the sort that don't help you for anything, in my experience.
Fortunately here we have public charter schools so we the parents get a LOT of say....oldest is only in 5th grade but I like what I see so far. The teachers actually TEACH because they don't have a union to cover them if they are lousy teachers.

For some reason I had no idea what I wanted to do at that age. My older 3 seem to do. One wants to be an Art Teacher or Veterinarian,my son is interested in the military service so he can blow stuff up and is also interested in being a cop or fire fighter....he has been fascinated with cops and fire fighters his whole life and we try to push them towards those things as well. Doing complete opposite of what my parents did which was take a wait and see laid back approach. My 5 year old says she wants to be a teacher.

Yes, there are lots of kids who have no idea. I remember being asked what I wanted to be when I was older, and I said I wanted to be retired. The thought of getting money for doing nothing appealed to me.

Then I decided I wanted to be a military pilot, that was never going to happen for lots of reasons like I'm not that great at flying. They had a test to see what we wanted to be, and I manipulated it to make it come out as a pilot.

Once kids find out what skills they have and what interests they actually have, it's much easier to make a decision.

Lucky you. Mine didn't.

Fortunately here we have public charter schools so we the parents get a LOT of say....oldest is only in 5th grade but I like what I see so far. The teachers actually TEACH because they don't have a union to cover them if they are lousy teachers.

Education in the US is massively messed up. Seems partisan politics is everywhere and it's destroying the country.

Fear of failure is a failure itself, when it freezes any path at all.

By your excuses, and lack of action, whether through fear or laziness is not an example you should want for your kids. You tell them, without words, they and you don’t matter enough. And their later lives will very likely be a repeat of your own.

It’s great you applied, but you also need to prove to them, you will do whatever it takes to take care of them, because you care. It’s time to find a job, even one that you don’t care for. Only yourself can keep yourself down, from growing your skills and moving on to bigger or better opportunities.

Don’t use fear of failure as an excuse. All the greatest achievers have failed multiple times to get to their final success. Failure is but a stepping stone, in which we learn what not to do, and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

By your excuses, and lack of action, whether through fear or laziness is not an example you should want for your kids. You tell them, without words, they and you don’t matter enough. And their later lives will very likely be a repeat of your own.

It’s great you applied, but you also need to prove to them, you will do whatever it takes to take care of them, because you care. It’s time to find a job, even one that you don’t care for. Only yourself can keep yourself down, from growing your skills and moving on to bigger or better opportunities.

Don’t use fear of failure as an excuse. All the greatest achievers have failed multiple times to get to their final success. Failure is but a stepping stone, in which we learn what not to do, and keep putting one foot in front of the other.

You sound like one of the inspirational speakers who knows nothing about what it's like to live a real life.

No, it is from experience, all of it. Facing fear and overcoming it.

You sound like one of the inspirational speakers who knows nothing about what it's like to live a real life.

No, it is from experience, all of it. Facing fear and overcoming it.

But then your experience, I'm assuming, only amounts to your body and your mind. I doubt you've experienced what it is like for other people who have different genes, different make up of drugs in their bodies and different experiences.

There's a poster on here, Skullpilot, he's on my ignore now, but he was like that. If he could do something, then everyone could do it. Simple as, no arguments, nothing. If he could walk 500 miles, then the old biddy with no legs can walk 500 miles too.

I don't buy it. People are different. People have different problems, different ways of seeing things, different fears that sometimes can't be overcome.

Forum List

Back