Abortion is murder

I don't believe I did. What I did was to play back for you what you have told me. In effect, I am asking you if I got it right. Please tell me what I got wrong. So, just to be clear... YOU endorse abortion because it is legal. Not because if it is right. But you will draw the line at forced abortions even if it is made legal. Right?
Am I mistaken then in my belief you want abortion to be illegal?

As far as your hypothetical ... again ... it would be unconstitutional. I'm not about to dive any deeper into your pool of hypotheticals because there could be no end to it. If you can't make your point using reality, then you don't really have a solid point to begin with.

And as before, legal abortions are not murder. Murder is the unlawful act of killing another human. But in our society, we make certain exceptions, abortion being one of them.
No, my hypothetical included a constitutional amendment. In my hypothetical, forced abortions are perfectly legal. You seem to have a problem with legal forced abortions. Why is that?

Again, the point of this hypothetical is to point out the flaws in moral relativity and of defining right and wrong by legalities. You don't seem to grasp this concept.
What I don't grasp is your belief that something is morally wrong because you think it's morally wrong. Not everyone agrees with you.
You don't believe it is wrong to end a human life?
I believe there are circumstances where it's acceptable for some.
Sounds like subjective truth and moral relativity to me, but if that's what floats your boat, so be it. Personally I believe that is setting you up for predictable surprises.

And what gives you the right to speak for others who don't believe as you?
I don't believe I did. What I did was to play back for you what you have told me. In effect, I am asking you if I got it right. Please tell me what I got wrong. So, just to be clear... YOU endorse abortion because it is legal. Not because if it is right. But you will draw the line at forced abortions even if it is made legal. Right?

As far as your hypothetical ... again ... it would be unconstitutional. I'm not about to dive any deeper into your pool of hypotheticals because there could be no end to it. If you can't make your point using reality, then you don't really have a solid point to begin with.

And as before, legal abortions are not murder. Murder is the unlawful act of killing another human. But in our society, we make certain exceptions, abortion being one of them.
Great. So if forced abortions were legal and constitutional, you wouldn't have any problem with them.
What I said was I was not going down your rabbit hole. Read into that as you wish.
Ok, I thought that what you wrote was pretty clear. Your belief in what is moral is defined by society. I have a higher standard than that. My belief in what is moral is defined by my conscience and not by the letter of the law. The law can change. My conscience doesn't.
Your conscience applies to no one other than you. Laws are established by our society and apply to everyone.

Great. So if forced abortions were legal and constitutional, you wouldn't have any problem with them.
What I said was I was not going down your rabbit hole. Read into that as you wish.
Ok, I thought that what you wrote was pretty clear. Your belief in what is moral is defined by society. I have a higher standard than that. My belief in what is moral is defined by my conscience and not by the letter of the law. The law can change. My conscience doesn't.
Your conscience applies to no one other than you. Laws are established by our society and apply to everyone.
Right. I agree. And for you that means accepting slavery, abortions, forced abortions, farming fetus' parts, etc. as long as society codifies it into law. I don't have that problem.

Right. I agree. And for you that means accepting slavery, abortions, forced abortions, farming fetus' parts, etc. as long as society codifies it into law. I don't have that problem.
It means no such thing in America as slavery and forced abortions are unconstitutional.

I believe this describes the kind of individuals that endorse others ending the life of a baby in the womb.

They have no distinction between good and evil, no morality or any other kind of value, save pleasure.

It means no such thing in America as slavery and forced abortions are unconstitutional.
Hey, at anytime society could codify them into law and you would be ok with it because your morals are based on society's morals.

Hey, at anytime society could codify them into law and you would be ok with it because your morals are based on society's morals.
Well if we follow your hypotheticals to their logical conclusion -- if you had your way, hypothetically, folks like you who believe they hold the moral high ground would dictate what you believe is right and impose it on the rest of us who don't necessarily agree with you. I prefer what I believe which is to let society decide what limitations the government can impose on us.

Well if we follow your hypotheticals to their logical conclusion -- if you had your way, hypothetically, folks like you who believe they hold the moral high ground would dictate what you believe is right and impose it on the rest of us who don't necessarily agree with you. I prefer what I believe which is to let society decide what limitations the government can impose on us.
I'm not imposing anything on anyone and have no plans to do so. I am presenting you with the incongruities of your beliefs. What you choose to do about it is up to you. My obligation is satisfied by bringing it to your attention. Moral relativity is a slippery slope death spiral. Enter at your own risk.

I believe this describes the kind of individuals that endorse others ending the life of a baby in the womb.

They have no distinction between good and evil, no morality or any other kind of value, save pleasure.
Well that's bullshit as I am not endorsing anyone to have an abortion. And you're not the decider of what's good or evil or moral and in no position to judge others simply because you fool yourself into believing you hold some moral high ground which you don't actually possess.

I'm not imposing anything on anyone and have no plans to do so. I am presenting you with the incongruities of your beliefs. What you choose to do about it is up to you. My obligation is satisfied by bringing it to your attention. Moral relativity is a slippery slope death spiral. Enter at your own risk.
You're not imposing anything for the sole reason you're in no position to.

But you want to. You want to tell women what the can or cannot do with their own bodies and you want the full weight of the government to enforce your beliefs upon others.

I don't see how. I couldn't care less what you do.

But you want to. You want to tell women what the can or cannot do with their own bodies and you want the full weight of the government to enforce your beliefs upon others.
I don't believe it is virtuous to do something because you are forced to do it. I would rather them be virtuous and do the right thing because it is the right thing. They can't be virtuous as long as people like you convince them that they are being virtuous when they end their baby's life.

Yes or no, you want abortions criminalized....

I don't believe it is virtuous to do something because you are forced to do it. I would rather them be virtuous and do the right thing because it is the right thing. They can't be virtuous as long as people like you convince them that they are being virtuous when they end their baby's life.
No one is forcing anyone to get an abortion.

Not yet, but once it is determined that abortions are moral it does pave the way for forced abortions.

Can't you answer yes or no?

Yes or no, you want abortions to be illegal.....

Not yet, but once it is determined that abortions are moral it does pave the way for forced abortions.
It does not pave the way to forced abortions. Can you keep your argument based in reality?

Sounds like you want to keep abortions laws just as they are and let people decide for themselves. Do I have that right?

Forum List

Back