A sign of the times

MaryL

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2011
Midwestern U.S.
Why is it, when I find and interesting show on broadcast television in SPANISH, there isn't SAP service in ENGLISH? Only English shows are converted to Spanish. What is up with that? Not a big fan of rabbit ears TV, but this is a rather blatant double standard, kids.

• Banned
I can watch "Cider house rules" in English on a broadcast station, it always includes the SPANISH iteration on the SAP, either in sub titles or literally in Spanish. But why can't I do the same if A "Spanish station" shows the same program in Spanish ONLY? Why is that not ever a choice, ever?

A sign of the times

No, it's not.

Nor is it a 'double standard.'

It's an indication of someone hostile to Spanish speakers, immigration, and diversity, predicated on the false notion that Spanish speakers are 'catered to' to the 'disadvantage' of those who do not speak Spanish.

No spending a night like I did where all of my commercials were in Spanish is an indication someone is hostile to English speakers.

No spending a night like I did where all of my commercials were in Spanish is an indication someone is hostile to English speakers.

Or, possibly whatever you were watching had a predominantly Spanish-speaking audience. Advertisers target whoever most watches the program. If you got an English program with Spanish commercials (that's a new one) it's probably something specificly aimed at ESL speakers.

A sign of the times

No, it's not.

Nor is it a 'double standard.'

It's an indication of someone hostile to Spanish speakers, immigration, and diversity, predicated on the false notion that Spanish speakers are 'catered to' to the 'disadvantage' of those who do not speak Spanish.

Yup.

More languages a person can communicate in, the more valuable they are. For all the Right's protestations against such things they're only hurting themselves by valueing less valuable workers. Two identical candidates apply for a job, one only speaks English (and isn't a brainiac with it,) other speaks 3 and is picking up another who do you hire? :)

Why is it, when I find and interesting show on broadcast television in SPANISH, there isn't SAP service in ENGLISH? Only English shows are converted to Spanish. What is up with that? Not a big fan of rabbit ears TV, but this is a rather blatant double standard, kids.

In all my life your post is the first time I've ever seen anyone want that. Prove that there's money to be made, and watch how quickly they implement it.

Or, possibly whatever you were watching had a predominantly Spanish-speaking audience. Advertisers target whoever most watches the program. If you got an English program with Spanish commercials (that's a new one) it's probably something specificly aimed at ESL speakers.

If that was what had happened I would agree.

Forum List

Back