A serious question to Christians about the Mormon faith

Do you consider Mormons to be Christians? How do you define a Christian.

A Christian is someone who loves God, like Abraham and Jacob.

Mormons are wrong in some details, but I think many Mormons love God. But, you know me, I'm slow to a fault to judge people.

Mormonism deserves be called a cult for being a church based on doctrine created by Joseph Smith from alleged divine revelation. But, I think the average Mormon is as much a Christian as anyone else claiming to be Christian. And, they don't necessarily have more details wrong than the next Christian.

I would say, to me, he is as Christian as Christians are Jewish.

The Jewish religion is built on hate. Hate of God and hate of mankind. Mormonism is nothing like the Jewish religion.

It's a tad more complex than that. But if you want to find a stick to beat up the Mormons because one of them is running against your messiah, have at it. I'd rather have Mitt the Mormon than Obama whose followers think he's god.

WTF are you talking about? I admit that I was curious about the Mormon faith when I started hearing preachers on TV denouncing Mitt as not being a Christian, but I am by no means "beating up Mormons". As my OP says, I have a friend who is Mormon, I dont in any way shape or form dislike Mormons.

Honestly, it sounds like you would like everyone to not ask questions because of Romney. Im just curious as to peoples opinions, if you would like to expand of "its more complex" or add anything of substance to the thread, Id love to read it.

You have a friend who's a Mormon... so ask him. Why ask a bunch of strangers? Mormons call themselves Christians... other than that, it's God's business. It's not for any non Mormon to decide whether they 'qualify'. Simple.

I did ask him, and I left questioning my personal definition of "Christian". Which is why I started the thread.

By your reasoning, there shouldn't even be a religion section on the board, because we should never be curious, or ask questions.

A Christian is someone who loves God, like Abraham and Jacob.

Mormons are wrong in some details, but I think many Mormons love God. But, you know me, I'm slow to a fault to judge people.

Mormonism deserves be called a cult for being a church based on doctrine created by Joseph Smith from alleged divine revelation. But, I think the average Mormon is as much a Christian as anyone else claiming to be Christian. And, they don't necessarily have more details wrong than the next Christian.

I would say, to me, he is as Christian as Christians are Jewish.

The Jewish religion is built on hate. Hate of God and hate of mankind. Mormonism is nothing like the Jewish religion.

You say you're slow to judge, and then proceed to judge 14 million people....

"You say you're slow to judge, and then proceed to judge 14 million people...."

Certainly you understood that this was the poster's version of irony.

Im asking because, I recently talked with a friend of mine, who is Mormon about his faith and while he calls himself a Christian, he didnt fit MY personal definition of a Christian, which is someone who believes Christ is our lord and savior. I would say, to me, he is as Christian as Christians are Jewish.

Please note, Im honestly curious and not looking for a flame fest of the Mormon faith.

By your definition, as stated above, Mormons are Christians. Mormons believe that Christ is their Lord and Savior.

Im asking because, I recently talked with a friend of mine, who is Mormon about his faith and while he calls himself a Christian, he didnt fit MY personal definition of a Christian, which is someone who believes Christ is our lord and savior. I would say, to me, he is as Christian as Christians are Jewish.

Please note, Im honestly curious and not looking for a flame fest of the Mormon faith.

By your definition, as stated above, Mormons are Christians. Mormons believe that Christ is their Lord and Savior.
According to my friend, they do not. They believe Christ was the son of God, they believe he died for our sins, but he was not God. However they believe he was the son of God, they same way you or I our children of God. Christ was more "evolved" than us, and that you or I( though it's very very diffcult) could become just as evolved as Christ.

From the LDS Articles of Faith

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.​

Lord and Savior.

Some people have a problem with the LDS version of the Godhead. However their version is as logical as the version which claims that the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are one being.

When Christ is baptized and the Father speaks from the Heavens saying he's pleased by his Son, and the Holy Spirit appears like a dove, Mormons take that as a lesson about the nature of the Godhead: namely that it is made up of three separate beings with one purpose.

When Christ talks about his Father, is he talking about himself? Mormons don't think so.

However, they still believe that Christ is the God of the Old Testament, Jehovah, the creator of this world, and the Lord and Savior of all those who are willing to accept his gift.

Last edited:

Clearly, you are a troll and not a good friend. Because Mormons do believe in Christ as the Savior and I have no doubt that you're "friend" explained that in no uncertain terms.

How did he explain it and what is your definition?
Ive always defined Christians as those that believe that Christ was God. I actually looked up the word Christian in the dictionary after speaking to my friend, which is anyone who follows the teaching of Christ.

Well, he explained that Mormons believe Christ was the son of God, not God. However he also said that they believe that we are all sons and daughters of God but that Christ was .... more evolved then the rest of us, and that we all strive to be as evolved as Christ (its VERY VERY hard, but not considered impossible to do).

No, Mormons believe that Christ is God. They don't believe in the trinity like the Catholics with their egg nonense of the yolk, whites and the shell analogy. A lot of non-Mormon Christians also believe in the God Head (3 beings) that and not the trinity, I would point out.

Actually, I always thought a christian is anyone that follows the teachings of christ.

Christ is God, or just the Messiah and not god was more of a denominational issue.

I tend to assume that Jesus was just the messiah and not god since the Jewish definition describes god as the creator of the universe--Jesus could not have created the universe since he was born after its creation.

Of course, some will use the book of John to argue with this statement, claiming that Jesus was here even when Moses led his people out of Egypt. Such individuals should understand how that statement by Jesus relates back to the cruxificion and Leviticus.

Exactly, you have thousands of denominations and a great many of them have differing beliefs. But I consider them all to be Christians. It's frankly insulting to tell someone that he/she is not a Christian when that is what he/she professes. That is why the OP is a troll.

How did he explain it and what is your definition?
Ive always defined Christians as those that believe that Christ was God. I actually looked up the word Christian in the dictionary after speaking to my friend, which is anyone who follows the teaching of Christ.

Well, he explained that Mormons believe Christ was the son of God, not God. However he also said that they believe that we are all sons and daughters of God but that Christ was .... more evolved then the rest of us, and that we all strive to be as evolved as Christ (its VERY VERY hard, but not considered impossible to do).

No, Mormons believe that Christ is God. They don't believe in the trinity like the Catholics with their egg nonense of the yolk, whites and the shell analogy. A lot of non-Mormon Christians also believe in the God Head (3 beings) that and not the trinity, I would point out.

I can only tell you what my friend stated. They beleive Christ was the son of God, but they are 2 separate beings, Christ is not God.

Again, I only know what he explained, and I admit it was somewhat confusing for me, especially when he started talking about the afterlife. But I was most interested when he said that Christ was not God, so I asked, repeatedly.

Actually, I always thought a christian is anyone that follows the teachings of christ.

Christ is God, or just the Messiah and not god was more of a denominational issue.

I tend to assume that Jesus was just the messiah and not god since the Jewish definition describes god as the creator of the universe--Jesus could not have created the universe since he was born after its creation.

Of course, some will use the book of John to argue with this statement, claiming that Jesus was here even when Moses led his people out of Egypt. Such individuals should understand how that statement by Jesus relates back to the cruxificion and Leviticus.

Exactly, you have thousands of denominations and a great many of them have differing beliefs. But I consider them all to be Christians. It's frankly insulting to tell someone that he/she is not a Christian when that is what he/she professes. That is why the OP is a troll.

Note to self, do not ask religious questions in the religious forum anymore, clearly this is not the place for that :rolleyes:

I can only tell you what my friend stated. They beleive Christ was the son of God, but they are 2 separate beings, Christ is not God.

Again, I only know what he explained, and I admit it was somewhat confusing for me, especially when he started talking about the afterlife. But I was most interested when he said that Christ was not God, so I asked, repeatedly.

Yes__ two separate beings. The Heavenly Father and The Son of God - but both gods. If you ask him, he will tell you so. He did not tell you the Christ was not a god b/c that is not what Mormons believe and it is very doubtful that he would be confused about that b/c it is a very basic tenet of the Mormon faith.

Note to self, do not ask religious questions in the religious forum anymore, clearly this is not the place for that :rolleyes:

This is exactly the place for it. But if you spout falsities then you will be rebuked.

Yes__ two separate beings. The Heavenly Father and The Son of God - but both gods. If you ask him, he will tell you so. He did not tell you the Christ was not a god b/c that is not what Mormons believe and it is very doubtful that he would be confused about that b/c it is a very basic tenet of the Mormon faith.

He did say Christ was a god. But not God.

I didn't mention it becuase it was immediately followed with a "Christ was the god of earth and if we all work hard enough when we die we will be elevated to the level of god and given our own planet to rule"

I was curious as to people's personal definition of Christian, not getting into what I consider the more unique aspects of Mormonism.

He did say Christ was a god. But not God.

I didn't mention it becuase it was immediately followed with a "Christ was the god of earth and if we all work hard enough when we die we will be elevated to the level of god and given our own planet to rule"

I was curious as to people's personal definition of Christian, not getting into what I consider the more unique aspects of Mormonism.

Well you're sorta getting into the deeper tenets of what Mormons believe. And I'm not saying you need to believe it. But the bottom line is that Mormons define themselves as Christians. They believe in his teachings and they believe he died for their sins. They believe he is the son of God. I think that is generally the root of what Christians believe.

Again though, when you differentiate between the trinity and the God Head (3 separate beings) then that is a major divide. For instance Mormons and various and Prodestant churches believe it while Catholics and various Prodestant churches don't. But they all believe in the aforementioned doctrines. I find that to be a big difference in the churches. But I also recognize that it'd be arrogant to call either of them "not Christian" when clearly Christianity is central to their beliefs and they have so much in common.

Last edited:
No, Mormons believe that Christ is God.

You're a liar and a shithead, idiot. Mormons don't believe in God, let alone that Jesus is God (at least Mormons who actually do believe Mormon doctrine). Mormons believe that Jesus is a mere evolved human being. And, Mormons believe that the Father is just another evolved human being. And, Mormons believe that we can likewise evolve and become as Jesus is. Mormonism is not Christianity. (Mormons call this evolution "exaltation".)

They don't believe in the trinity like the Catholics with their egg nonense of the yolk, whites and the shell analogy. A lot of non-Mormon Christians also believe in the God Head (3 beings) that and not the trinity, I would point out.

Wrong, assbreath. A lot of Christians do not believe anything like what Mormons believe. Christians -- not Mormons -- universally believe in God, one God, and that Jesus is God. (There's debate about the nature of Jesus as God, such as the Trinity vs. Modalism vs. my correct doctrine.)

thumbnailCAD1J8CJ.jpg

Forum List

Back